Desert Island VIII Results Thread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 AM
A basic, straight up mini version of regular DI is also a good idea. It certainly would be interesting to see how much more people would be involved with that.

Although I'm guessing it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
No, you said it would be a year to me.
Well, then I'm completely confused.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #333
Blue Crack Addict

It wouldn't be a full year until DI9. Probably late fall or so, especially if there is a mini in between.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Genre Island is an interesting concept, although as was said, when it came time to do rankings, I don't know how well it would work. If someone makes a jazz playlist and a listener just doesn't like that genre, it won't do well on their rankings.

Unless we put restrictions on the type of voting this time, like if each person had to vote for songs, presentation, etc.

Just thinking as I'm typing here. You could have each person vote for a playlist based on the following:

33.3% - Songs
33.3% - Sequencing, transitions, flow, etc.
33.3% - Representation of genre (or something along those lines)

People could rate each part on a scale of 1-10, and the average of all three would be the final score. Then you submit your rankings based on who has the best average score, from 1st to last.

Could work possibly.
That's an interesting way to break down scores. One slight issue I'd have is how would we judge "representation of genre," if people aren't familiar with the genre as a whole? For example, if a jazz list came up, I'd recognize a few names, but there'd be no way I could make a legitimate judgment on whether or not that person used a good mix of known and unknown artists/songs.

But, I actually like that type of scoring rubric for all future DIs, if we worked it out a bit. I think it would be more accurate than simple rankings.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #335
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Genre Island is an interesting concept, although as was said, when it came time to do rankings, I don't know how well it would work. If someone makes a jazz playlist and a listener just doesn't like that genre, it won't do well on their rankings.

Unless we put restrictions on the type of voting this time, like if each person had to vote for songs, presentation, etc.

Just thinking as I'm typing here. You could have each person vote for a playlist based on the following:

33.3% - Songs
33.3% - Sequencing, transitions, flow, etc.
33.3% - Representation of genre (or something along those lines)

People could rate each part on a scale of 1-10, and the average of all three would be the final score. Then you submit your rankings based on who has the best average score, from 1st to last.

Could work possibly.
I like it, too. Makes the scoring less subjective.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:38 PM
I've been doing something similar for the past 3 DIs.... Every song gets a possible 10 points. A possible 6 for my enjoyment of it, 2 for the flow at the beginning, 2 for the flow at the end. Then average it at the end.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #337
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife

I think it would be more accurate than simple rankings.
Which, with this DI, became more arbitrary than ever, I feel. Never before have I heard people voice their difficulty separating the quality of the lists to such a high degree. Since we're probably never going back to voting (this, to me, is a shame), some adjustments/additions need to be made to the current format, and I'm pretty alright with the rubric concept.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Which, with this DI, became more arbitrary than ever, I feel. Never before have I heard people voice their difficulty separating the quality of the lists to such a high degree. Since we're probably never going back to voting (this, to me, is a shame), some adjustments/additions need to be made to the current format, and I'm pretty alright with the rubric concept.
Agreed. This was the toughest DI for me to rank yet, no question about it.

Though, voting had its own issues, what with people being here or not and having polls be open to anybody on the forum, regardless of their participation in DI.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #339
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:38 PM
I'm happy to leave the ranking as it is, and I'd rather err towards a simpler vote than a complex vote.

Quote:
A basic, straight up mini version of regular DI is also a good idea. It certainly would be interesting to see how much more people would be involved with that.

Although I'm guessing it wouldn't make too much of a difference.
I'm very keen to give it a try. I think it'll settle a lot of talking points - and could be quite fun besides!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I'm happy to leave the ranking as it is, and I'd rather err towards a simpler vote than a complex vote.
I would agree with this. When people were leaving their comments on individual lists, I was somewhat concerned with how many were emphasizing that a song, section, or entire list just wasn't "their thing"; however, when the results were revealed, it became obvious that people were voting based on far more than whether or not a particular genre appealed to them. As long as we continue to vote based on construction and execution rather than personal tastes, the voting should be fine.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #341
Blue Crack Distributor

If I could take a moment to voice something about that irritates me.

Have we, then, completely thrown out the original purpose of Desert Island? Is the point of the competition to now just make the most conceptualized list? Because, I still rank song selection higher than flow or concept, since I thought that was the point. Am I doing it wrong?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #342
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

Have we, then, completely thrown out the original purpose of Desert Island? Is the point of the competition to now just make the most conceptualized list? Because, I still rank song selection higher than flow or concept, since I thought that was the point. Am I doing it wrong?
I could simplify my voting rationale by saying that, first and foremost, I order it by how much I like the music, then for lists that are really close, the sequencing and conceptualisation comes strongly into play. But on a deeper level, the sequencing and conceptualisation plays a role in how good the music sounds, whether it works in context and whether the whole listening experience is pleasurable. A disjointed list, no matter how good the songs are, is not going to be the ideal listening experience.

But basically I'm with you on this. And that's why I want to keep the voting simple. Everybody has their own quirks in what makes a list appeal to them and how they rank the entries, but I think it works, and it beats the shit out of the old voting system.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #343
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

Quote:
I could simplify my voting rationale by saying that, first and foremost, I order it by how much I like the music, then for lists that are really close, the sequencing and conceptualisation comes strongly into play. But on a deeper level, the sequencing and conceptualisation plays a role in how good the music sounds, whether it works in context and whether the whole listening experience is pleasurable. A disjointed list, no matter how good the songs are, is not going to be the ideal listening experience.

But basically I'm with you on this. And that's why I want to keep the voting simple. Everybody has their own quirks in what makes a list appeal to them and how they rank the entries, but I think it works, and it beats the shit out of the old voting system.
This would be my answer as well. Obviously if songs on a playlist don't do anything for you, there's only so much you'll like it, even if it's been constructed impeccably. But when you have playlists that are so evenly matched, you tend to look at other factors to try and separate them in terms of which one would get your vote.

My previous point was in regards to a Genre Island competition only, because if I did a playlist full of current female pop stars, I certainly wouldn't get a good grade from someone like Axver based on songs alone, but perhaps it would be ranked a little higher if he at least liked how it was put together.

But I agree that it might become quite the tedious process trying to rank in that way, so I'm leaning more towards a straight mini-DI competition.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #344
War Child

hahaha going rats this weekend cobble cobble
Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Axver had Headless Chickens' "Cruise Control" - wow!!! That's a winner right there! Great song