Desert Island VIII Results Thread - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 AM   #316
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm one of the people that always pushes against it. The idea of having to throw out the four lists I've finished is enough to make me not want to participate, tbh.

Plus, two hours is a really arbitrary limit that doesn't work out well in a disc format. Some of us like to make longer lists, some don't. There's no one preventing us from making shorter lists, and it's sometimes very difficult to make a good one of that length anyway; I always feel like I'm rushing through the process in mini DI, as one disc limits obscurities and details in favor of a big-picture quality that I personally don't find all that rewarding (this is why I like major restrictions in mini DIs; it's possible to represent a genre in one disc). I can't tell a story or paint a picture in that time frame, the way Reggo did with her list.
I agree with pretty much everything here. I know in this list, I would have had to do some major, major gouging to get the circular flow and represent each genre I wanted to represent. A lot of the more obscure would have been lost in the shuffle to more well-known stuff that wouldn't have introduced people to anything new.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #317
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm starting to turn towards the shorter list side. I think it would bring participation back up.
And participation being brought back up would mean more lists to listen to. You'd be listening to roughly the same amount of music with 19 120 minute lists vs 15 150 minute lists, right?

Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #318
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Some Kind of Hate was a joke, right?

no
Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #319
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Friggin' Cobbler.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #320
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What the fuck.
yeah, that's a headscratcher for sure.

now i'm kicking myself for going all mia on this place when i did. i'm going to officially blame real life business. vacation plans stressed me out, and now i'm pretty sure i came home with some kind of a stress fracture in my left foot. but vacation was awesome. and i'm still technically on vacation, although i actually went somewhere for the first time i've taken a vacation in like...oh, i don't know, 5 or 6 years. usually i just stay home. but anyway...

finally made it through this thread. congrats, screw!

so, when we playing again?

seriously, this game was more fun than i thought. i suspected i'd enjoy certain things i wouldn't like on their own due to context, and was right. always had reservations about playing in the past because i've never been a fan of any kind of voting people off island games (maybe in part because i am a competitive bastard with some kind of a monster of an ego at times and don't usually play games i know i'll never win. definitely in part because trying to compare the giant pile of awesome apples and oranges presented here made my brain explode. why'd ya'll have to go and make good playlists? think i said it somewhere else that i ended up liking stuff i didn't even like. or however i phrased it. everyone had some part of their playlist that was freaking brilliant, so....ya...). but it was cool.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Friggin' Cobbler.

now i want him to listen to ramallah's "kill a celebrity." it's not a yes or no, is this a joke. because no, it's not a joke, but it's not literally advocating going out and shooting everybody. i think i vaguely remember SKOH was supposed to be written from the point of view of not necessarily one of the kids from columbine, but someone who would find themselves doing that...go shoot up their high school, crazed postal worker, or someone. i guess it worked better when eddie vedder did it in the 3rd person.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #322
Blue Crack Addict

The next formal DI isn't for a year, but there's rumblings of a mini-DI in the interim, or bumping up the official one.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #323
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't think there's ever been a year between DIs...are we really thinking of waiting that long?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #324
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post

now i want him to listen to ramallah's "kill a celebrity." it's not a yes or no, is this a joke. because no, it's not a joke, but it's not literally advocating going out and shooting everybody. i think i vaguely remember SKOH was supposed to be written from the point of view of not necessarily one of the kids from columbine, but someone who would find themselves doing that...go shoot up their high school, crazed postal worker, or someone.
I loved that song. I took it as the dude was singing it to get the idea out of his head instead of acting on it.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I don't think there's ever been a year between DIs...are we really thinking of waiting that long?
That's the word I got from Axver.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #326
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I loved that song. I took it as the dude was singing it to get the idea out of his head instead of acting on it.
pretty much. pretty sure that's also a part of it.

one of my favorite blood for blood songs. blood for blood is one of my favorite bands. hell, i'm extremely fond of any album rob lind has ever been involved in (and something from all three made it onto my playlist...bfb, ramallah, sinners & saints. the one sinners & saints album that those guys ever released being my all-time favorite album).

this is the part where i say something again about 1) how psyched i was you loved it and 2) i knew it wouldn't exactly be the type of song everyone here would be into. yadda yadda, said it before, you know the rest.

i'd love to detonate a car bomb
at the doors of your precious mtv
and put some saron gas in the central a.c.
at the vmas and watch those beautiful faces turn ashen gray...

sure, it's easy enough to take at face value as something designed to offend/shock. or hate for the sake of hatred. i listen to the rest of the song and do think yeah, there's something fucked up about a pop culture that worships popstars and fame. no, i'm not actually going to go kill anyone. take the "hey kid if you're under 18 you can blame it on me" part as advocating such? no, i think it's sarcasm. hey, blame the guy who wrote a song about it, that's what everyone does...they blame the video games, movies, marilyn manson, etc. every time some kid does something fucked up. all that violence made them crazy! yeah, i get the delivery isn't exactly the most appealing to people who don't enjoy that style of music, though.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #327
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:41 PM
Quote:
That's the word I got from Axver.
No, you said it would be a year to me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #328
45:33

Local Time: 06:41 PM
I'm absolutely down for jazz. I couldn't participate but I would love to hear the lists.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #329
The Male

Might as well include a few of those on Genre Island, I reckon. I ain't never goin' ta Jazz Island anyhow. You know my kind.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #330
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Genre Island is an interesting concept, although as was said, when it came time to do rankings, I don't know how well it would work. If someone makes a jazz playlist and a listener just doesn't like that genre, it won't do well on their rankings.

Unless we put restrictions on the type of voting this time, like if each person had to vote for songs, presentation, etc.

Just thinking as I'm typing here. You could have each person vote for a playlist based on the following:

33.3% - Songs
33.3% - Sequencing, transitions, flow, etc.
33.3% - Representation of genre (or something along those lines)

People could rate each part on a scale of 1-10, and the average of all three would be the final score. Then you submit your rankings based on who has the best average score, from 1st to last.

Could work possibly.