Desert Island VIII Results Thread - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #301
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:39 AM
I wonder if the next DI could perhaps restrict the lists to under two hours. I feel that two-and-a-half hours' worth of music is a lot to digest, and, if you take a break in the middle, you lose a sense of the flow. Did anyone else feel that way?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

I like the idea, iYup. When the lists are broken into sections and they're supposed to sort of be separate from each other, then taking a breather doesn't really detract from it. But when it's one solid block of music and you have to take a breather for one reason or another, it's harder to get back into the mood and the flow. Shorter lists would be better, or even if the maximum was kept, but the minimum time limit was made 90 minutes. I felt with mine that I had to stretch it out to meet the max and then I lost the plot somewhere past Tool. Just my opinion.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:39 AM
I feel like we have this conversation every time, but every time it is shot down.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
To be fair, we had 10 weeks this time. 10 weeks to listen to 15 lists. That's less than 4 hours of listening time per week. Not a hard feat to accomplish, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
agreed, it's just all a matter of making time for it. i hope i don't start an argument or anything and i'm not picking on peefaroni but that's one of the reasons i pulled out of di. the whole point of di (imo) is to introduce people to new music, plus i like the listening diaries and getting people's feedback. if people don't listen and post about it then i have no idea what anyone thought of it which for me anyway defeats the purpose for me.

but like i said, i'm not picking at anyone or anything, just wanted to get it off my chest since it was (sorta) brought up.
Each time out I say, "This really shouldn't be too hard to listen to everything." And then things come up and DI obviously is not a priority when I have things to do, so it always seems to fall behind. I don't think it's fair for me to compete if I'm not going to listen to everything, and I can't guarantee I will be able to.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #305
Blue Crack Addict

That's really unfortunate, because your lists are some of the best.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #306
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist
I feel like we have this conversation every time, but every time it is shot down.
I'm one of the people that always pushes against it. The idea of having to throw out the four lists I've finished is enough to make me not want to participate, tbh.

Plus, two hours is a really arbitrary limit that doesn't work out well in a disc format. Some of us like to make longer lists, some don't. There's no one preventing us from making shorter lists, and it's sometimes very difficult to make a good one of that length anyway; I always feel like I'm rushing through the process in mini DI, as one disc limits obscurities and details in favor of a big-picture quality that I personally don't find all that rewarding (this is why I like major restrictions in mini DIs; it's possible to represent a genre in one disc). I can't tell a story or paint a picture in that time frame, the way Reggo did with her list.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #307
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm starting to turn towards the shorter list side. I think it would bring participation back up.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #308
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm going to have to disagree respectively with you here, LM. I feel as though a well-conceptualized list should be able to tell its story in a relatively short period of time - hence the many, many great albums that comprise only one LP in length.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #309
The Male

And that's what I believe mini DIs are for. Otherwise, I suggest we change the name of those to "special" DIs or "specialized" DIs, or perhaps not have them at all. Traditional DIs being 40 minutes longer and lacking a genre limitation doesn't differentiate them all that much from the minis. Adding an entire disc (up to 20 songs) is much more significant.

So yeah, I'd like to keep the maximum and make the minimum 90, as Reggo suggested. I feel like there's a bias against shorter lists, and if we post a minimum, it will make those shorter lists look more legit, and we will receive more of them as a result. As it stands, they just appear unfinished because, hell, why wouldn't you take advantage of the full 160? But that's not how everyone operates. Similarly, I don't feel 160 is an extraordinarily high ceiling, and if others don't feel like listening to the list, it will just receive a poorer ranking as a result. Capitalism and all that.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that was sort of a fluke, Don't expect that from me in the future,
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I like the idea of a genre mini-DI as long as multiple people were allowed to use the same genre. Personally, I would love to do an all jazz playlist.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #312
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I am for short lists because I feel like when I listened to other people's list it's easier to come up with ranking system because I can keep track of everyone's lists more and the lists don't get jumbled up in my mind. Because when there are so many mins pre each playlists I loose track of the vibe from each playlists. I listen to one playlist and I enjoy it for an hour but I feel like I have to muddle through the rest of it because I love music but it becomes too much to listen to. And it feels like if you break the playlist up to two days it becomes less concise and it loses the flow of it. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I'm thinking we'll have a mini of some sort, perhaps this summer, before we get to DI9.
Cool beans.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #314
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I like the idea of a genre mini-DI as long as multiple people were allowed to use the same genre. Personally, I would love to do an all jazz playlist.
Yeah, if it were done, I think it'd be silly to say that there can only be one playlist for each genre ... especially since different people will have wildly differing takes on the same genre. I still don't think it's THAT similar to regular DI, especially if genre selections need to be narrow, picking subgenres or local scenes rather than pretty vague umbrella genres. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd dig 80 minute introductions to genres I don't know much about, and nobody's exactly done DI lists that are wholly shoegaze, or jangle pop, or chillwave, or any sort of jazz genre, or whatever.

But it's just a suggestion and I'm not particularly concerned if it's taken up or discarded. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a Mini DI that is exactly like regular DI, just with short lists. We could perhaps do an open DI like that to see how high participation is, and to basically test it against regular DI - see once and for all what we prefer, rather than having this back-and-forth "oh it should be shorter" "no it's good the way it is" sort of discussion at the end of every tournament. If it works, it works; if it doesn't, at least in future when this crops up, we can point back and say "we tried to do an open DI with short lists and it just didn't go that well".

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

very diplomatic, Ax. I like it.