Desert Island VIII Results Thread - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #286
The Male

Local Time: 02:35 AM
I'm not sure enough of us could fill out an 80 minute list of just hip-hop, especially when you consider the tastes of the DI newbies. Why keep it to 8 when 16 could compete in Retro Island II?

A best of 2010 would be OK by me, but I probably could have made a more informed entry when I was in ZOMGYEARENDLISTZ mode.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #287
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:35 PM
What if we did a Genre Mini Island, where each contestant picks their own genre to represent? Friggin' cobbler could give us a hip hop list, somebody could do chillwave, somebody could do jangle pop, LM could have his retro, I'd be keen to do a shoegaze list, etc.

I suppose ranking the lists would be VERY apples and oranges though, so maybe it wouldn't work.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #288
The Male

Also, I don't see how that would differ significantly from traditional DI, especially for people like me who dedicated their list to one sound. I wouldn't protest it though.

Now.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 AM
I've decided to go with Punk Island, I think. At least for now. I've got the widest selection of artists to choose from in that genre cause I'm a collector and a nerd like that, either for a mini if one comes up or DI IX.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #290
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Also, I don't see how that would differ significantly from traditional DI
How many lists have there ever been dedicated to a single genre, with absolutely nothing outside of it? I can only think of a couple, and that's allowing for more broad umbrella genres.

I mean, even my limited Instrumental and Kiwi Island lists genre-hopped to a reasonable extent.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #291
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver

How many lists have there ever been dedicated to a single genre, with absolutely nothing outside of it? I can only think of a couple, and that's allowing for more broad umbrella genres.

I mean, even my limited Instrumental and Kiwi Island lists genre-hopped to a reasonable extent.
I'm not saying it won't be unique to some degree, just not unique enough to justify its own game. We all, broadly, choose a genre to represent with our lists, some more exclusively than others. All this DI would accomplish is reveal what our comfort zones are, I think.

Again though, if it would give me an opportunity to make a power/jangle-pop disc, I wouldn't have any hard feelings.

Now.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

That could be fun. I could get REALLY specialized with Punk Island.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 AM
I'm not sure if I'm ever going to participate in DI again. It's not that I can't make lists (I made my DI7 list in 45 minutes), it's that I don't have the time to listen, and I don't feel like it's fair for me to compete without listening to everyone else.

Mini-DI?

Drunken PFan Coy ... Maybe, We'll See.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #294
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What if we did a Genre Mini Island, where each contestant picks their own genre
from a hat.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #295
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I'm not sure if I'm ever going to participate in DI again. It's not that I can't make lists (I made my DI7 list in 45 minutes), it's that I don't have the time to listen, and I don't feel like it's fair for me to compete without listening to everyone else.
To be fair, we had 10 weeks this time. 10 weeks to listen to 15 lists. That's less than 4 hours of listening time per week. Not a hard feat to accomplish, in my opinion.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'd love to make a jazz list. However, it has the same problem as punk and hip-hop lists in the sense that I'm not sure how much appeal it would have.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #297
War Child

thanks phanan for letting me be a part this twas fun
need to work on FLOW next time

and yes cobbler 18 recently wooo
Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #298
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet92
and yes cobbler 18 recently wooo
Let me know what clubs you hit up mate, I'm putrid right now, but I'm down to party.

Wahhhh wahhhh
Old 03-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #299
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
To be fair, we had 10 weeks this time. 10 weeks to listen to 15 lists. That's less than 4 hours of listening time per week. Not a hard feat to accomplish, in my opinion.
agreed, it's just all a matter of making time for it. i hope i don't start an argument or anything and i'm not picking on peefaroni but that's one of the reasons i pulled out of di. the whole point of di (imo) is to introduce people to new music, plus i like the listening diaries and getting people's feedback. if people don't listen and post about it then i have no idea what anyone thought of it which for me anyway defeats the purpose for me.

but like i said, i'm not picking at anyone or anything, just wanted to get it off my chest since it was (sorta) brought up.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
What if we did a Genre Mini Island, where each contestant picks their own genre to represent? Friggin' cobbler could give us a hip hop list, somebody could do chillwave, somebody could do jangle pop, LM could have his retro, I'd be keen to do a shoegaze list, etc.

I suppose ranking the lists would be VERY apples and oranges though, so maybe it wouldn't work.
Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of doing this. I mean, like LM said, isn't this basically what we do anyway? My DI7 list was more or less a hip-hop/African beat genre list. Plus, having one person do each "genre" will be a mess, imo. Rankings would probably end up being difficult to make, like Ax said. And, then we can't have two hip-hop lists? Nah, fuck that.

I'm all for another mini-DI, just not one based on genre.