Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to say, I enjoyed disc 2 much more, I liked that more frantetic darker feel here. Or at least I did just up til the Smashing Pumpkins song. Then it went a bit downhill, I was especially not a fan of "I Know Where You Sleep" which may be a bit strange as I am a fan, for the most part of The Dresden dolls. Still, overall great, and again I thought it was pretty tight. Also, I always forget just how much I love "Siren Song" so thank you for that reminder :D.

EDIT: one thing also about the section from Smashing Pumpkins on, it felt like that transition in mood was quite sudden and that also kind of jolted me.

And finally, I would have to say the last section was probably the most enjoyable of the three, song wise, though I'm not sure if I really felt what you were going for resounding through it.

Overall, I enjoyed the list, the one regret I might have about it is that there wasn't any one new song I really got out of it, but it was packed with songs I know and love, so you take the good you take the bad, I suppose.

Also:
1. The Ra Ra Riot song was a pleasant surprise.

Agreed. I'd just heard a song of theirs the other night on...Kimmel the other night I think, and I really enjoyed it, but it sounded nothing like this. Maybe I lied a few paragraphs ago, maybe I will at the very least check out more from Ra Ra Riot. I had an EP of theirs ever years ago that I wasn't all that impressed with, but they probably deserve another shot.

OH I remember what else I was going to say. That Linkin Park song. Jesus, I kept expecting it to turn into Guns N Roses "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and of course it never happened and it was just driving me insane :lol:.

Anyways, I don't mean to be so negative, I very much enjoyed listening to your list!

phanan, your list is incredible. song-wise, the yes track was the only thing i don't like, but in its place within the playlist? perfect. like scretape, i don't have a whole lot to say other than the thing is fuckin' phenomenal. it looked that way on paper, but it more than lived up to those expectations. probably never going to be able to hear that mogwai track without it being followed up with "eulogy" (which is easily my all-time favorite tool song. like "fade to black" being for metallica for me). great job.

i swear there was a dulcimer somewhere. i might have just mis-heard, but that made me pretty happy.

laz said somewhere recently something about sandinista that i completely agree with in a more conscise manner than i'm capable of. not sure if i'm going to be able to find it though.

see, that's really what i love about punk rock. i came at if from a rancid/everything epitaph records prior to y2k angle, and from there all you really need to do is track down bands on people's t-shirts to wind your way through a labyrinth of sub-genres. hell, the only reason i picked up the clash's self-titled album was because i was at the record store and there were these old people in my way. there was some local band's cd i was there to get, but the old people were in my way, so instead of politely asking them to move so i could go grab it, i walked around the store a bit looking at other cds. knowing i was supposed to know, if not love, the clash based on some academic-type idea i had at the time in regards to listening to music/music history dictating that rancid, the dropkick murphys, bad religion, bouncing souls, all that stuff i loved claim to owe a big part of what their music is to the clash. i ended up picking that up instead of that local band's album, and well, guess you can figure out the rest. from there you can take a punk rock history approach in your further listening, or you can go off on dub, ska, reggae...punk rock is such a big deal to me because it's always been the one genre i can use as a starting point to go in pretty much any other direction. sure, i'm a little less than thrilled with the bands that went all ape-shit over johnny cash when he died, because i think a lot of bands over-did it, though, rather than i think it's a valid musical connection. truth is, there are a number of bands that have owed something to the man in black long before his death. it may seem like a stretch at times, as joey thought when he listened to my mix. but then again, it's not his kind of music, whereas it's found its way into being the core of my music-listening self. to each their own.

how's that for rambling? ok, i'll stop now because i'd prefer not to derail this thread anymore than i already have been doing. but reggo, where have you been all my posting time on this board? first you surprise everyone with the scary-ass mix that i'm totally keeping for halloween purposes. now you're geeking out with me over punk rock stuff? i probably made some sarcastic, snide remarks in the green day thread at one point...:shifty: that's all i'm going to say about that now.

yeah, ranking everyone's lists is going to be a bitch. and it's just going to get even worse, because there's more to hear. hell, i've liked even the stuff that i haven't liked. if that made any sense. context is everything, or something. ok, off to have a smoke, then listen to phanan's.
Agreed.

Don't sweat badmouthing Green Day. I mainly like them for sentimental reasons now. Musically, I know there are better bands out there. I regularly bitch about Billie Joe's guitar skillz (or lack thereof). As for me, I had a career in PLEBA for a bit, then found OOC and have been there. I've never felt "cool" enough to post in B&C outside of DI competitions before, if that makes sense.

I don't want to derail the thread any further either, so my next post will be my review of UV92's list. I've finally got it unzipped and in the proper order.

:hitsplay:

Ultraviolet92
Highlight: I thought the opening four tracks fit very well together. Which I think someone else mentioned as well.

Favorite Aspect: There were a lot of very good songs here. The playlist was like listening to a good commercial free radio station.

Other things I liked:
1. Bad and Melancholy Hill were a nice pairing.
2. You made me like a Blink-182 song which is an accomplishment, though admittedly that could be because it sounds so much like a Cure song even beyond Robert Smith’s vocals.
3. Voodoo Child (Slight Return). That may be my favorite Hendrix song.
4. The first five songs of both discs were all either good or great.

Seriously, that Blink-182 song was kind of ridiculous. Not sure how it took me this long to hear it.

phanan, your list is incredible. song-wise, the yes track was the only thing i don't like, but in its place within the playlist? perfect. like scretape, i don't have a whole lot to say other than the thing is fuckin' phenomenal. it looked that way on paper, but it more than lived up to those expectations. probably never going to be able to hear that mogwai track without it being followed up with "eulogy" (which is easily my all-time favorite tool song. like "fade to black" being for metallica for me). great job.

i swear there was a dulcimer somewhere. i might have just mis-heard, but that made me pretty happy.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. I hope to get to your playlist today or tomorrow.

Ultraviolet92:

Your list was enjoyable. A lot of it isn't my cup of tea, but it was still pleasant to listen to. I liked the second half more than the first. Not a bad first effort at all. I agree with what Screwtape said, it's like listening to a good, commercial-free radio station.

I just want to offer a little constructive criticism (and I'm by no means a DI expert, so feel free to ignore me altogether). Next time, work a little bit more on your transitions from song to song. Some of them didn't work for me and instead of moving on, I'm stuck on that transition trying to figure out how one song relates to another either musically or lyrically and I kept getting pulled out of the list. I don't think you made bad song choices at all. I think with a little tweaking of the track order it could have been even better. I can kind of see where you were going with things, like Kashmir should go with Voodoo Child cause both Led Zeppelin and Hendrix are both from the 60's/70's and they've got that classic rock vibe. But there's a little more to it than that. There's also the mood and the tempo and the beat and the sound and the style and bringing those different elements together. Just keep that in mind for next time, OK?

Again, this is just me. Aside from those few transitions, you did great for your first submission and I hope you'll play again. I really think you've got it in you. :up:

Got through Part 1 of IWB's playlist earlier today (well, yesterday now).

The first four songs together were awesome, I thought. How can you not like Steve Earle and then Springsteen back to back?

I also thought the last few songs were great; that Tiger Army song was cool, and the last song was fantastic. Add in some Social D and that's a pretty good sequence there at the end.

The middle was hit or miss for me. Some things I didn't care for, but then there was some good stuff with Agnostic Front and especially Street Dogs, a band I keep meaning to check out further but never have. I will remedy that soon.

On to Part 2 tomorrow...

phanan or joey? :hmm: :flipsacoin:

Heads, pahana; tails, Joey.

Heads. :hitsplay:

Got through Part 1 of IWB's playlist earlier today (well, yesterday now).

The first four songs together were awesome, I thought. How can you not like Steve Earle and then Springsteen back to back?

I also thought the last few songs were great; that Tiger Army song was cool, and the last song was fantastic. Add in some Social D and that's a pretty good sequence there at the end.

The middle was hit or miss for me. Some things I didn't care for, but then there was some good stuff with Agnostic Front and especially Street Dogs, a band I keep meaning to check out further but never have. I will remedy that soon.

On to Part 2 tomorrow...

you were gonna check out the street dogs? awesome! start with fading american dream. definitely that album.

hmm. pretty much everyone has dug the tiger army song. off the top of my head (or because of the steel rail and maker's mark breakfast i just ate drank, take your pick. typing, btw, is relatively difficult at the moment. and the backspace button=my friend) i can't remember if i went with "santa carla twilight," easily my favorite song of theirs, or something that i thought fit the playlist better. i seem to think i should keep this in mind. or something.

i remember a while ago trying to talk you into checking out the hudson falcons, or maybe i just made a thread because i wanted someone, anyone to get past linskey's vocals and accept the greatness that is that band. the song on here sounds more like the stones than most of their other stuff, but it's by far one of my favorite songs by anyone ever. the last time i saw them live it wasn't on the setlist, but they played it, and the surprise alone should have just killed me on spot because i could have said i died extremely happy. hmm, that was probably a little on the morbid side. disregard. actually, i remember you in particular saying something about them not sucking, but the vocals being terrible.

i started uv's list before heading into work last night. gonna sleep now, but will finish when i regain consciousness.

Anybody else having issues with downloading phanan's list? It might just be sendspace being glitchy, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Anybody else having issues with downloading phanan's list? It might just be sendspace being glitchy, but thought I'd ask anyway.

yeah, sendspace glitched the fuck out on me and i ended up having to download it once for tracks 1-14, and then another time subsequently for each of the remaining tracks. it took about 30 min to an hour per download, too, which is what took me so long getting to it. :crack:

yeah, sendspace glitched the fuck out on me and i ended up having to download it once for tracks 1-14, and then another time subsequently for each of the remaining tracks. it took about 30 min to an hour per download, too, which is what took me so long getting to it. :crack:

Hmm, ok, thanks! It'll probably be faster to find and download them individually then. :up:

probably. it was so worth the headache, though.

i really need more allagoch in my life.

I didn't realize there was an issue downloading mine. Perhaps I should do it again through megaupload.

The link's back up again now, fyi. This morning, I couldn't even get to the download screen, while a couple days ago, the browser estimated the download would take 5 hours. I think sendspace just has issues...in the long run, I was able to track down all the songs via mediafire or torrent sites, so it worked out.

Now, I'm looking forward to listening to it tonight while reading materials for the course I'm taking called "Killing." Too bad I wasn't in classes yet while listening to reggo's list...

oh, suuuuuure, after I spend two hours downloading it last night! :wink:

I'm a little too tired and loopy to give it its fair shake tonight, pahana, so I'll spin it tomorrow, pinkie swear.

Christ I'm behind on this.

Will try to catch up on all the lists in the coming week.

We gave Part Two a few extra days to help people out, and there will only be four playlists again for Part Three, so you should be ok.

The Part Three thread will probably be posted tonight or tomorrow (my time).

you were gonna check out the street dogs? awesome! start with fading american dream. definitely that album.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a spin once DI listening is over.

i remember a while ago trying to talk you into checking out the hudson falcons, or maybe i just made a thread because i wanted someone, anyone to get past linskey's vocals and accept the greatness that is that band. the song on here sounds more like the stones than most of their other stuff, but it's by far one of my favorite songs by anyone ever. the last time i saw them live it wasn't on the setlist, but they played it, and the surprise alone should have just killed me on spot because i could have said i died extremely happy. hmm, that was probably a little on the morbid side. disregard. actually, i remember you in particular saying something about them not sucking, but the vocals being terrible.

I don't recall that, but perhaps my viewpoint has changed over the years, because I thought the song you included by them was pretty good.

I finished yours up yesterday. Part 2 was a great listen - I pretty much liked everything except for a couple of songs. I remember when the Glasvegas album came out and only liking one or two songs and thinking the rest was mediocre, and that train of thought hasn't changed. And the pairing of Xiu Xiu and Pluxus didn't suit me either, but other than that, excellent throughout. I loved Jesus & Mary into The National, and the addition of William Shatner was pure gold. Perhaps my biggest surprise was the lack of Dropkick Murphys - I thought for certain they'd be on here.

I'm really glad you tried this out, cuz you did very well.

thanks, phanan.

there's a chance you were in that thread pertaining to the hudson falcons, but someone else said that, and it was some years ago so it's all kinda fuzzy to me now.

:lol: i could have sworn i put dkm's "as one" and flatfoot 56's "brotherhood" on there somewhere. and death & taxe's "whole damn thing" really belonged on part 1, but i forgot it. i also remember wanting to keep it bagpipe-free as to not veer off too far in that direction (save that for another time, most likely). but that only leaves how many other dkm songs that i really like? i guess "the gauntlet" being in part 2 made it too punk o rama 6...

i found it in an old green day thread. it wasn't in relation to that song, and since the link i posted is now dead i have no idea what you were refering to. "Lyrics are cool, music sounds great, but that singer's voice sucks." i'd post the link to the thread, but it's a pretty small search to type in "hudson falcons" (and i'm pretty sure any post containing those two words next to each other was mine or someone quoting me).

the entire thread gave me a good laugh, though. but i fear re-posting the actual link will get me retroactively suspended/banned from these parts. or the fact that i should probably be embarrassed and i'm not, might be enough to get me in trouble. i suspect i may have been mildly psychotic in 2004. and i wonder about my level of apathy these days. i can't imagine being that [any emotion] about anything at all now. but on to more important things--like finishing uv's list.

Miss/Ms/Mrs IWB, i have started your list.

i thought the opening three city specific-tunes were pretty great. not too sure on Jersey City's vocals but the music was terrific. Mark Lind through Far From Finished, i did not enjoy at all. like dance and hip hop is not your thing, this stuff was not mine.

re: Some Kind of Hate. is that a joke? like a satire of the whole metal/emo music? because if it is, it's brilliant. if it's not a joke, then it has the unfortunate distinction of being among the worst songs i've ever heard (The Beatles and Radiohead each have a song in this category).

i should finish your list tomorrow! looking forward to part two, some good choices i see!

cobl--just consider it one of the songs you hate the most ever.

haha, city-specific. yeah, look at that. they are. it would be nice if i could say that was intentional, just like it would be clever to say that lola was someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with. but that was pretty much a coincidence.

---------------

ok, uv's list. the first pair packed a nice punch, however "strange currencies" ran off in another direction and i don't think it fit. pretty much that's how i feel about the flow overall--you have some pairs/trios of songs that are absolutely great together (really like the sweet virginia/crippled inside/gravy run. that was excellent. but the phoenix killed that for me. plus, i really didn't like the song. but i think that's more because i just don't like any phoenix songs i've ever heard. it did, however, go well with maps, despite i don't like that song either. u2 into the gorrilaz was far better than i'd expected). sheer awesomeness that i'd definitely never heard before highlight goes to the tame impala song. i'm not even sure what it was that i liked about it, but it was great. and the vines followed it very nicely.

i'd never call a collection of songs that includes so many great songs a bad list. you've got a lot of great tunes on there. and while i singled out the phoenix song as a song i don't like by a band i don't like, i'm not a white stripes fan however "effect & cause" is pretty badass. overall, it just seemed really choppy at times to me.

Starting up your list now, IWB. Is the second person on the list really in Sugarland? I'm listening to that song now, and actually I think I know this song, but I'm not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom