Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Thanks to all for the great posts in Part One. Let's keep it rolling. The remaining threads will only have four playlists each, which should give everyone plenty of opportunity to check these out...

ultraviolet92

ULTRAVIOLET 92'S DESERT ISLAND DISCS

Hey guys,

So for my DI Discs I have made two 80 min max discs.

This compilation is pretty much songs I love and digging at the moment. I have missed so much but I tried not to double up too much so I could have variety of artists.

I hope you like it and hope you discover some awesome new tunes for you because there all classic songs if you don’t know them already. Enjoy and thank you for your time!

DISC 1 (71:56)
1. The Raconteurs – ‘Consoler of the lonely’ – Consolers of the Lonely (3:26)
2. The Black Keys – ‘Everlasting light’ – Brothers (3:24)
3. R.E.M. – ‘Strange currencies’ – Monster (3:53)
4. Arcade Fire – ‘Antichrist television blues ‘ – Funeral (5:10)
5. Blink 182 – ‘All of this’ (feat. Robert Smith) – Blink 182 (4:40)
6. Arctic Monkeys – ‘The view from the afternoon’ – Whatever people say I am, that’s what I’m not (3:38)
7. Muse – ‘Hysteria’ – Absolution (3:47)
8. Ben Folds Five – ‘Brick’ – Whatever and ever Amen (4:43)
9. The Rolling Stones – ‘Sweet Virginia’ – Exile on main Street (4:26)
10. John Lennon – ‘Crippled Inside’ – Imagine (3:53)
11. Paul Kelly – ‘How to make gravy’ – Songs from the South (4:27)
12. Phoenix – ‘Long distance call’ – It’s never been like that (3:03)
13. Yeah Yeah Yeah’s – ‘Maps’ – Fever to tell (3:40)
14. Joni Mitchell – ‘Big Yellow Taxi’ – Ladies of the canyon (2:15)
15. The White Stripes – ‘Effect and cause’ – Icky thump (3:00)
16. Joy Division – ‘Love will tear us apart’ – Substance (3:24)
17. Pixies – ‘Hey’ – Doolittle (3:31)
18. The Beatles – ‘Strawberry fields forever’ – Magical mystery tour (4:10)
19. Radiohead – ‘Gagging Order’ – Com lag: 2+2=5 [EP] (3:36)

DISC 2 (72:49)
1. MGMT – ‘Weekend Wars’ – Oracular spectacular (4:12)
2. Cold War Kids – ‘Hang me up to dry’ – Robbers & Cowards (3:43)
3. Interpol – ‘PDA’ – Turn on the bright lights (5:12)
4. Led Zeppelin – ‘Kashmir’ – Latter Days: The best of Led Zeppelin volume two (8:29)
5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – ‘Voodoo Child (slight return)’ – Electric Ladyland (5:13)
6. The Strokes – ‘The modern age’ – Is this it (3:33)
7. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – ‘Into my arms’ – The boatman’s call (4:15)
8. U2 – ‘Bad’ – The best of 1980-1990 (5:52)
9. Gorillaz – ‘On Melancholy hill’ – Plastic beach (3:48)
10. Vampire Weekend – ‘Cousins’ – Contra (2:25)
11. The Cure – ‘In between days’ – The head on the door (2:55)
12. Modest Mouse – ‘Float on’ – Good news for people who love bad news (3:29)
13. Tame Impala – ‘Solitude is bliss’ – Innerspeaker (3:56)
14. The Vines – ‘Ride’ – Winning days (2:36)
15. David Bowie – ‘Heroes’ – “Heroes” (6:10)
16. Sigur Ros – ‘Gobbledigook’ - Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust (3:05)
17. Bob Dylan – ‘It’s all over now baby blue’ – Bringing it all back home (4:15)

Joey788

joey788.jpg

IN CHANGING TIMES

Part 1: Kids (41:13)
01. The White Stripes – “We’re Going to be Friends” – White Blood Cells (2:22)
02. Arcade Fire – “Ready To Start” – The Suburbs (4:16)
03. Best Coast – “Boyfriend” – Crazy For You (2:30)
04. She & Him – “Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?” – Volume One (2:31)
05. The Duke Spirit – “You Really Wake Up The Love In Me” – Neptune (2:42)
06. Peter Bjorn And John – “Young Folks” – Writer’s Block (4:39)
07. Wilco – “I’m Always In Love” – Summerteeth (3:43)
08. Muse – “Invincible” – Black Holes and Revelations (5:01)
09. Metric – “Twilight Galaxy” – Fantasies (4:54)
10. Coldplay – “Shiver” – Parachutes (5:02)
11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Maps” – Fever To Tell (3:40)
This part is all about falling in love for the first time. I envisioned it as a young boy and girl meeting each other in school and becoming friends. Then, years later, the feelings have started to blossom into high school romance. They chase after each other and eventually become a couple. While everything appears to be perfect, the beginning of cracks are starting to form towards the end of the set.

Part 2: Losing Direction (47:42)
01. The Verve – “Love Is Noise” – Forth (5:29)
02. The Beatles – “For No One” – Revolver (2:03)
03. Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse – “Everytime I’m With You” – Dark Night of the Soul (3:10)
04. Bat for Lashes – “Siren Song” – Two Suns (4:58)
05. The National – “Conversation 16” – High Violet (4:19)
06. Garbage – “Stupid Girl” – Garbage (4:19)
07. Tegan & Sara – “Are You Ten Years Ago” – The Con (3:18)
08. The Smashing Pumpkins – “The Beginning is the End of the Beginning” – Rarities and B-Sides (5:02)
09. Emilie Autumn – “I Know Where You Sleep” – Opheliac (3:13)
10. Nine Inch Nails – “Eraser” – The Downward Spiral (4:54)
11. How to Destroy Angels – “A Drowning” – How To Destroy Angels (7:03)
The cracks are forming and there are huge problems in their relationship. Maybe they fell in love too fast. Maybe one needs too much from the other or they just can’t communicate. In any case, this is where everything falls apart. The songs represent a building array of emotions, including frustration, cynicism, self-loathing, outward rage, and finally sadness.

Part 3: Return Home (46:20)
01. Passengers – “Slug” – Original Soundtracks 1 (4:38)
02. Radiohead – “Bullet Proof…I Wish I Was” – The Bends (3:29)
03. Paramore – “The Only Exception” – Brand New Eyes (4:28)
04. Elbow – “The Bones of You” – The Seldom Seen Kid (4:49)
05. Depeche Mode – “Come Back” – Sounds of the Universe (5:16)
06. Florence & The Machine – “Cosmic Love” – Lungs (4:16)
07. Ra Ra Riot – “You and I Know” – The Orchard (4:35)
08. Linkin Park – “The Messenger” – A Thousand Suns (3:02)
09. St. Vincent – “Just The Same But Brand New” – Actor (5:24)
10. U2 – “All I Want Is You” – Rattle and Hum (6:30)
The final part takes place a few years later. By this time, both the man and woman have grown up and go through some self-reflection. Chance meetings lead to the realization that the feelings are still there. While both are cautious at trying what failed before, they overcome their insecurities and come back together, this time refusing to let their baggage weigh them down.

TOTAL RUNTIME: 2:15:15

IWasBored

cover.png

No Artwork, No Title

Summary: When I was at UMASS, I did a radio show at the radio station. Before I got burnt out and making playlists each week started to feel like work, I wanted every single week to be something I wouldn't mind having if I were stranded on the hypothetical island on which music nerds are forever sticking themselves.

For this list, I originally set up this 4-part structure for as many basic states of mind I might find myself in: dark and brooding, angry pissed off want to smash shit, happy jump around sing along, and blissful chill out. It didn't work. Even some the "happy" sides ended up kind of bleak. When I re-did those parts, they became considerably shorter and full of less songs I really love than songs that worked as purely an academic exercise. Keeping things obscure for obscurity's sake was pretty silly as well, for a lot of reasons. I can't make a DI list without Springsteen just because everyone knows The Boss. This place has had too much of an influence on my music taste, and I'll never have any way of knowing what everyone's ever heard anyway.

Basically, this would be the kind of playlist that I'd put together on any given week if I could ignore all FCC guidlines (and warp time, because while I played a lot of the songs here many times, not all of them were written yet/or known to me at the time). It transitions through what may or may not be considered a variety of music, depending on how the individual listener is going to classify and sub-classify these bands/songs. I think some sub-genre of punk rock is probably at the center, even after drifting off in other directions, it inevitably returns to something that someone out there refers to as punk rock. I don't really know. It's stuff I like. That's really all that matters to me now.

Part 1
1. Hudson Falcons - Jersey City Streets - La Famiglia
2. Steve Earle - NYC - El Corazon
3. Bruce Springsteen - Atlantic City - Nebraska
4. Mark Lind - Better Days - Death or Jail
5. Ramallah - Just Walk Away - Kill a Celebrity
6. Blood for Blood - Some Kind of Hate - Outlaw Anthems
7. Sick of it All - Blown Away - Yours Truly
8. Agnostic Front - Gotta Go - Something's Gotta Give
9. Ducky Boys - Pride - No Gettin' Out
10. Far From Finished - Those Never Forgotten - East Side of Nowhere
11. Street Dogs - Fading American Dream - Fading American Dream
12. The Beltones - Cheap Trinkets - Cheap Trinkets
13. Darkbuster - Cheap Wine - 22 Songs That You'll Never Want to Hear Again!
14. The Damaged - Out of Today - [these guys were somewhat local, I lost my copy of the cd this was on, and google isn't even helping me to find what it was called]
15. Turbo A.C's - Nightmare - The Turbo A.C.'s
16. Tiger Army - Santa Carla Twilight - III: Ghost Tigers Rise
17. The Bruisers - Gates of Hell - Better Days
18. Social Distortion - Bad Luck - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
19. Sinners & Saints - Marquee Lights

Part 2
0. Brian Jonestown Masscre - Wisdom - Methadrone
1. Glasvegas - Flowers and Football Tops - Glasvegas
2. The Jesus & Mary Chain - April Skies - Darklands
3. The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio - High Violet
4. The Arcade Fire - Keep the Car Running - Neon Bible
5. The Magnetic Fields - Born on a Train - The Charm of the Highway Strip
6. Xiu Xiu - Dear God, I Hate Myself - Dear God, I Hate Myself
7. Pluxus - Psykopotat - European Onion
8. William Shatner - Common People - Has Been
9. Against Me! - Cliche Guevara - As the Eternal Cowboy
10. Everybody Out! - Ghettoblaster - Everybody Out!
11. Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Hope I Never Lose My Wallet - Devil's Night Out
12. Saves the Day - Jukebox Breakdown - Stay What You Are
13. Rancid - Roots Radicals - ...And Out Come the Wolves
14. Bouncing Souls - True Believers - How I Spent My Summer Vacation
15. The Clash - Death or Glory - London Calling
16. Billy Bragg - The Milkman of Human Kindness -
17. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
18. The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love
19. The Kinks - Lola -
20. Dead Boys - I Won't Look Back
21. The Gaslight Anthem - Old White Lincoln - The '59 Sound
22. Say Anything - The Writing South - ...Is a Real Boy
23. The Briggs - Waiting in the Shadows - Leaving the Ways

phanan

di8cover2.jpg

Ashes In The Snow

1. Alcest – “Ecailles De Lune, Part 1” – Ecailles De Lune (9:52)
2. Led Zeppelin – “Achilles Last Stand” – Presence (10:23)
3. Mogwai – “Batcat” – The Hawk Is Howling (5:24)
4. Tool – “Eulogy” – Aenima (8:28)
5. Metallica – “Fade To Black” – Ride The Lightning (6:55)
6. Incredible Expanding Mindfuck – “Headphone Dust” – I.E.M. (6:11)
7. Midlake – “Rulers, Ruling All Things” – The Courage Of Others (4:25)
8. Yes – “Turn Of The Century” – Going For The One (7:55)
9. Pelican – “Last Day Of Winter” – The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw (9:36)
10. Opeth – “To Bid You Farewell” – Morningrise (10:54)

11. Mono – “Ashes In The Snow” – Hymn To The Immortal Wind (11:45)
12. Rush – “Xanadu” – A Farewell To Kings (11:07)
13. Red Sparowes – “In Illusions Of Order” – The Fear Is Excruciating, But Therein Lies The Answer (7:36)
14. Shearwater – “Corridors” – The Golden Archipelago (2:46)
15. Four Tet – “Circling” – There Is Love In You (5:17)
16. Talk Talk – “Desire” – Spirit Of Eden (6:57)
17. No-Man – “Truenorth” – Schoolyard Ghosts (12:51)
18. The Mercury Program – “Slightly Drifting” – A Data Learn The Language (6:24)
19. Gifts From Enola – “Aves” – From Fathoms (9:00)
20. Agalloch – “A Desolation Song” – The Mantle (5:08)

Total time: 158.53 (2:38:53)

So I got as far as ultraviolet's list before I knew what to check out first. Looking forward to all of these though! It looks like another varied round.

A quick note on ultraviolet's list - originally it included more than one track by The Beatles and Dylan, so two songs had to be removed, yet they'll still be included in the download. Just don't add them when you put that playlist together. Go by what you see above.

Also, phanan, looking forward to your list. It's a lot different than the music I listen to so it should be a fairly original experience for me. :D

Just got through the first half of Ultraviolet's playlist. Some thoughts:

- “Consoler of the Lonely” segued perfectly into “Everlasting Light.” Felt like they could have been on the same album.
- In fact, the entire first four songs work really well together. I’m not really a fan of most of Neon Bible but that selection worked well after R.E.M.
- I wasn’t a fan of the Blink-182 track but I thought Arctic Monkeys was a nice recovery.
- “Hysteria” is one of my favorite Muse songs. I thought it fit really well after Artic Monkeys but created way too much of a mood and tempo change with Ben Folds Five. Plus, the bit of dialogue at the end of “Brick” didn’t go well into the Rolling Stones song.
- The section from “Long Distance Call” to “Love Will Tear Us Apart” was absolutely brilliant. Great song selection, great flow.
- “Gagging Order” is a beautiful song that I’m surprised I haven’t listened to before, given how big of a Radiohead fan I am. Wonderful way to close part 1.

On to the second half!

I honestly can't decide which list to start with - they all look fantastic, so I'm going in order this time, starting tonight with UV92.

I had more free time this weekend than I thought! With that comes the second half of Ultraviolet92's playlist.

- To me, MGMT has always been a three-hit wonder, with their second album being an epic disaster. But “Weekend Wars” was surprisingly catchy and awesome. I made need to dig into their debut more.
- On the other hand, I never liked the Cold War Kids and sadly this song didn’t change my mind.
- The straight-up rock segment from “PDA” to “The Modern Age” worked really well. I like how Interpol and The Strokes had that sort of classic feel that fit alongside Zeppelin and Hendrix. Plus, the four songs choices from those groups were just wonderful. Only snag was the transition from Hendrix to Strokes, which felt a little awkward.
- The Nick Cave song didn’t do much for me but you could not have picked a better way to move into “Bad.” Absolutely perfect.
- “On Melancholy Hill” worked far better than I thought it would as a follow-up to “Bad.” One of the best Gorillaz tracks out there.
- Sorry, but I absolutely can’t stand Vampire Weekend. Listened to their album and saw them at a festival. Didn’t like them in either scenario.
- On the other hand, I really need to get into The Cure because I really like everything I hear by them (especially since they’re in like 90% of the playlists here lol).
- Thought the segment from The Cure through Bowie was done pretty well.
- Couldn’t really get into the last two songs either. I’m pretty indifferent to Sigur Ros but I definitely can’t stand Bob Dylan’s voice.

I'd say both halves were very strong for the most part with a couple segments that didn't work for me. I'm a fan of many of the bands you get big thumbs up for that. There were quite a few beautiful transitions too. All in all, I really dug this list. Awesome work!

Re: phanan's list.

Holy shit, that looks fantastic.

agree.

i need to catch up on listening to the first list of lists, but i think i'm going to listen to phanan's right now because all that post-rock is perfect studying music. plus Tool and Opeth...all kinds of win

I suppose that I'll be the first to review phanan's list. The sequencing was impeccable throughout. I would point to exceptional instances, but that would assume that some transitions were of a lesser quality when in fact the whole thing was seamless.

When I initially looked through the list, the number of tracks exceeding eight minutes made me fear that they would be either turgid or meandering, but neither of those was the case. The longer songs either functioned as suites or developed consistently enough to demand the listener's attention. The shorter tracks were also well-placed in the sense that they prevented the flow from becoming nondescript.

I would say at this point that phanan's list has established itself as the one to beat. The whole thing was very smooth.

Phanan
Highlight: First off, I want to say that this is your best playlist yet and the best execution of flow in any of the games so far. The latter is so good in fact that the playlist bleeds into one and nothing jumps out as a highlight.

Favorite Aspect: It is very soothing, almost to a fault about two hours in.

Other Things I liked:
1. I liked every song on the playlist which is a very rare feat.

IWasBored
Highlight: The stretch of Magnetic Fields through William Shatner. Good stuff.

Favorite Aspect: Honestly, at least 2/3 of the playlist was not my thing at all. I am sorry but I just could not get into most of this stuff. I appreciate what you were going for though. There were a few stretches of songs that I liked (mostly in the 2nd half).

Other things I liked:
1. The Jesus & Mary Chain through Arcade Fire was one of those stretches.
2. The Gaslight Anthem song was very good.
3. The Buzzcocks and Kinks tracks were perfect together.
4. A shocking appearance of a William Shatner track and a great one at that.

IWasBored
Highlight: The stretch of Magnetic Fields through William Shatner. Good stuff.

Favorite Aspect: Honestly, at least 2/3 of the playlist was not my thing at all. I am sorry but I just could not get into most of this stuff. I appreciate what you were going for though. There were a few stretches of songs that I liked (mostly in the 2nd half).

Other things I liked:
1. The Jesus & Mary Chain through Arcade Fire was one of those stretches.
2. The Gaslight Anthem song was very good.
3. The Buzzcocks and Kinks tracks were perfect together.
4. A shocking appearance of a William Shatner track and a great one at that.

for not liking the bulk of it, those are some mighty kind words. thanks.

i'm fully expecting everyone to say the first part is nowhere near anything they actually like, and for most of you guys to down right despise it. i had an inkling that might be the case, probably hoped it wouldn't be, but after making my way through the first batch of playlists i'm convinced no one is going to be keeping any of that first part around for longer than it takes them to make a courteous attempt at a listen.

i'm pretty psyched you singled out the shatner and buzzcocks/kinks because those i was most iffy about actually including.

Phanan
Highlight: First off, I want to say that this is your best playlist yet and the best execution of flow in any of the games so far. The latter is so good in fact that the playlist bleeds into one and nothing jumps out as a highlight.

Favorite Aspect: It is very soothing, almost to a fault about two hours in.

Other Things I liked:
1. I liked every song on the playlist which is a very rare feat.

Many thanks Screw. Glad you liked it.

Finally had the chance to start uv92's playlist between yesterday and today. I'm through Disc 1 so far.

I echo joey's thoughts on the first two tracks - an excellent pairing, and I don't even particularly care for The Black Keys. You also picked a Blink 182 song that I don't find offensive (Robert Smith's appearance didn't hurt), and I loved the song choices for the Stones, Lennon, Phoenix, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. For the most part, the tracks went well with each other. Muse into Ben Folds was a bit jarring, and I didn't think Big Yellow Taxi was placed well. But closing with Strawberry Fields and Gagging Order was awesome.

I finished Ultraviolet's list today. This was probably the most classic-sounding compilation yet in the sense that it is filled with great songs from great artists. Strawberry Fields, Sweet Virginia, Heroes, Voodoo Child, In Between Days...these are all tremendous songs that few would would find a need to criticize. Because of that, however, the list seems a bit safe, and I think that it does not have as much personality as some of the other lists thus far.

But that is not to detract from the fact that I enjoyed it. As some others have commented, the opening two tracks complemented each other exceptionally well, and the tracks from R.E.M. and Radiohead are both hidden gems. Strange Currencies, as bizarre as this may sound, probably ranks among my top five or ten R.E.M. songs. All things considered, this was a strong listen.

starting with joey's.

i'm kind of surprised in general by the number of passengers tracks that have been included on a number of people's lists. i think i listened to passengers twice, and then promptly forgot the thing ever existed. not even at the peak of my u2 obsession could i get myself to think that it was anything more than a must-hear for completists that then belongs on the shelf and not in the cd player. hearing pieces of it here and there amidst DI playlist context, i can't say i've changed my mind (it hasn't made me want to listen to the album in any way, shape or form). but it's interesting.

starting with joey's.

i'm kind of surprised in general by the number of passengers tracks that have been included on a number of people's lists. i think i listened to passengers twice, and then promptly forgot the thing ever existed. not even at the peak of my u2 obsession could i get myself to think that it was anything more than a must-hear for completists that then belongs on the shelf and not in the cd player. hearing pieces of it here and there amidst DI playlist context, i can't say i've changed my mind (it hasn't made me want to listen to the album in any way, shape or form). but it's interesting.

Huh. As much as I may be your stereotypical jaded U2 ex-/post-fan, I maintain that Passengers is one of the most interesting things they've done, and along with UF and Boy is the one disc I still listen to with any vague semblance of regularity.

i never read or participated, to the best of my recollection, in any threads discussing it, so i just had literally no idea what 1) your average u2 fan 2) people on this board 3) the folks who frequent b&c thought of it. so i just had no idea.

listened to joey's mix. the first part was well-executed. it had the summer-y, happy, new love sense, yet toward the end the hint of foreboding of not-so-great times to come if you looked at it as the description intended, to be outlining the beginnings of a relationship. i'm very unimpressed still with that arcade fire song, and still cannot stand the white stripes, but i found the first part to be fairly enjoyable songs with decent flow.

can't see any semblence of flow at all in the beginning of the second part, and it wasn't until the last 3 songs from that section that any sense of flow was regained. the transitions between the verve to the beatles to danger mouse and sparklehorse were so all over the place. song-wise, i enjoyed most of part 2. "love is noise" worked exceptionally well as an opener, particularly within the theme you were going for. the third, to me, suffered from a lot of the same lack of flow, with fewer individual songs i really liked.

finished uv92's list (where he at?). enjoyed it!

- opening 2/ worked really well, yes. Everlasting Light is my favourite Black Keys song.
- i liked the Arcade Fire song! so a good achievement for you there, i'm reasonably indifferent to Arcade Fire.
- blink182's self-titled was a really good album i thought. it will be interesting to see what Ashley thinks of that track, i'm not a big fan of it.
- i also liked the Muse song. that's probably the best Muse song i've heard. in fact Muse through YYYs was a brilliant stretch of songs, major props for using How To Make Gravy, my favourite Paul Kelly song (i used it in my last DI). it's a really touching song.
- i'd never heard Gagging Order; it was quite pretty! certainly an atypical Radiohead song, there's not many acoustic RH songs. it also worked really well into Weekend Wars, though i see that wasn't the intention.
- Weekend Wars would be the best song by fucking miles on Congratulations. that's about the only good thing i've got to say about it.
- i enjoyed part two much more than part one. i really liked pretty much every song on part two, and as someone said, Into My Arms into Bad was inspired. how good was it when they played Bad at the first Melbourne gig man??!
- of the songs i'd not heard, Cold War Kids, The Strokes and Modest Mouse stood out.

there were certainly some rough transitions, but if i was stuck on a desert island i'd prefer good songs over good flow. nice job!

Just getting the chance to post about the second part of uv's playlist.

I'd have to say that I liked Disc 1 more than Disc 2. While the latter certainly had some great stuff included, it didn't seem to mesh together as well, at least to my ears. It was kind of all over the place. However, I thought it started out great with the first three tracks...

Overall though, this was a pretty good listen, and definitely a most respectable showing for your first time.

Back
Top Bottom