Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Two - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2011, 11:48 PM   #91
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:50 AM
April Skies .

The first half of the list so far has not exactly been to my taste, though I loved the first four or five songs. Bruce kind of came out of nowhere, but who can complain about "Atlantic City"?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I finished the lists of both Joey and IWB over the past few days. Joey's list was an intriguing concept that was generally well-executed. The flow did an admirable job of capturing the ebb and flow of a relationship, even if I have never personally felt as dejected by things amorous as tracks like "I Know Where You Sleep" and "Eraser" suggest. Individual highlights included the Wilco track, which is the first song from that particular band that I have really enjoyed, and Florence's "Cosmic Love," which to me encapsulates all the grandeur and helplessness that love can inspire.

IWB's list was distinctive in both style and execution. As several others have noted, Shatner's cover of "Common People" was an unexpected highlight, as it brought a degree of levity to what was otherwise a heavy list. Bruce, The National, and Arcade Fire are all artists whom I enjoy or love, and Xiu Xiu and The Buzzcocks gave me new things to consider. Therefore, even though I did not particularly take to most of the tracks, the whole thing exhibited a great deal of personality, and I found a few artists into whom to look further.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #93
45:33

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Finished your list IWB. I enjoyed part two more than one, though a lot of the short, punk rock stuff wasn't my thing. The last batch was great though, and Lola is just one of the all time great songs.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I finished the lists of both Joey and IWB over the past few days. Joey's list was an intriguing concept that was generally well-executed. The flow did an admirable job of capturing the ebb and flow of a relationship, even if I have never personally felt as dejected by things amorous as tracks like "I Know Where You Sleep" and "Eraser" suggest. Individual highlights included the Wilco track, which is the first song from that particular band that I have really enjoyed, and Florence's "Cosmic Love," which to me encapsulates all the grandeur and helplessness that love can inspire.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the playlist. The more I think about it, I think you (and a couple others) were right about "I Know Where You Sleep" and "Eraser." It got a little too dark and the transitioned moved into that territory way too fast. Ah well, that's how it goes sometimes.

That Wilco track is also one of the that I enjoy by that band. Never really been into them. I agree about Florence's song. My favorite on that album.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry for the delay everyone. Part Three will be up in the morning.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

No problem. Can't wait .
Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #97
45:33

Local Time: 07:50 PM
hey everyone.... i am in part three. get ready to be cobbled
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

i'll take your cobbler and raise you a bonoooz2121121212
Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #99
Refugee

Just finished up phanan's playlist. Some thoughts:

- Like everyone's been saying, the flow was absolutely perfect from beginning to end.
- I've never really been a fan of the prog-rock/metal genre, so that held the list back a little for me. But it was still far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
- In terms of bands I listen to, you made awesome selections, such as Zeppelin, Rush, and Metallica.
- I've never really liked Opeth or Tool but the songs were among the better I've heard from them.
- Finally, thank you for reminding me that Shearwater exists. I saw them live at All Points West a couple years ago but had forgotten how much I liked them.

All together, an excellent list that wasn't quite my cup of tea, but still a damn good experience.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Phanan's Ashes In The Snow:

I listened to it a couple of times because my first impression was "WTF? Every song sounds the same." And then halfway through Four Tet the second time, it hit me. "Every song sounds the same." It was by design. It was like one big symphony with different guest stars playing parts along the way. And the only thing I didn't like about it was that you pulled it off before I did,

Very nice, pahana.

Last, but certainly not least, for round two: Joey's list.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Just finished up phanan's playlist. Some thoughts:

- Like everyone's been saying, the flow was absolutely perfect from beginning to end.
- I've never really been a fan of the prog-rock/metal genre, so that held the list back a little for me. But it was still far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
- In terms of bands I listen to, you made awesome selections, such as Zeppelin, Rush, and Metallica.
- I've never really liked Opeth or Tool but the songs were among the better I've heard from them.
- Finally, thank you for reminding me that Shearwater exists. I saw them live at All Points West a couple years ago but had forgotten how much I liked them.

All together, an excellent list that wasn't quite my cup of tea, but still a damn good experience.
Thanks for your comments. Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone, which is what I expected. But I'm glad you took something positive away from it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Phanan's Ashes In The Snow:

I listened to it a couple of times because my first impression was "WTF? Every song sounds the same." And then halfway through Four Tet the second time, it hit me. "Every song sounds the same." It was by design. It was like one big symphony with different guest stars playing parts along the way. And the only thing I didn't like about it was that you pulled it off before I did,

Very nice, pahana.
Certain songs definitely have common traits, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they all sound the same. But I did put it together so it came across as a complete piece of work, so I'm glad you liked that aspect of it.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

Sorry for that incredible delay, back to IWB's list. I love William Shatner, addition of Ben Folds is a nice surprise .
Old 02-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

And finished. I really really enjoyed that second disc. The flow was a little jumpy at first, but by the halfway point it was a pretty smooth ride, and I was definitely in the mood for the music too, which always helps. I've also discovered that I just inherently love the Gaslight Anthem. Going to need to hear that album soon.

I may not have loved the first disc, but overall this was a very enjoyable experience, and it's always fun to hear music from genres you're not going to always actively seek out.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Certain songs definitely have common traits, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they all sound the same. But I did put it together so it came across as a complete piece of work, so I'm glad you liked that aspect of it.
I didn't mean "the same", like it was 30 covers of the same song, i just meant, they sound similar enough that it piqued my interest and made me think. Something I should've done before I posted my review sorry.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Nah, you're good. I know what you're saying.