Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
April Skies :love:.

The first half of the list so far has not exactly been to my taste, though I loved the first four or five songs. Bruce kind of came out of nowhere, but who can complain about "Atlantic City"?

I finished the lists of both Joey and IWB over the past few days. Joey's list was an intriguing concept that was generally well-executed. The flow did an admirable job of capturing the ebb and flow of a relationship, even if I have never personally felt as dejected by things amorous as tracks like "I Know Where You Sleep" and "Eraser" suggest. Individual highlights included the Wilco track, which is the first song from that particular band that I have really enjoyed, and Florence's "Cosmic Love," which to me encapsulates all the grandeur and helplessness that love can inspire.

IWB's list was distinctive in both style and execution. As several others have noted, Shatner's cover of "Common People" was an unexpected highlight, as it brought a degree of levity to what was otherwise a heavy list. Bruce, The National, and Arcade Fire are all artists whom I enjoy or love, and Xiu Xiu and The Buzzcocks gave me new things to consider. Therefore, even though I did not particularly take to most of the tracks, the whole thing exhibited a great deal of personality, and I found a few artists into whom to look further.

Finished your list IWB. I enjoyed part two more than one, though a lot of the short, punk rock stuff wasn't my thing. The last batch was great though, and Lola is just one of the all time great songs.

I finished the lists of both Joey and IWB over the past few days. Joey's list was an intriguing concept that was generally well-executed. The flow did an admirable job of capturing the ebb and flow of a relationship, even if I have never personally felt as dejected by things amorous as tracks like "I Know Where You Sleep" and "Eraser" suggest. Individual highlights included the Wilco track, which is the first song from that particular band that I have really enjoyed, and Florence's "Cosmic Love," which to me encapsulates all the grandeur and helplessness that love can inspire.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the playlist. The more I think about it, I think you (and a couple others) were right about "I Know Where You Sleep" and "Eraser." It got a little too dark and the transitioned moved into that territory way too fast. Ah well, that's how it goes sometimes.

That Wilco track is also one of the that I enjoy by that band. Never really been into them. I agree about Florence's song. My favorite on that album.

Just finished up phanan's playlist. Some thoughts:

- Like everyone's been saying, the flow was absolutely perfect from beginning to end.
- I've never really been a fan of the prog-rock/metal genre, so that held the list back a little for me. But it was still far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
- In terms of bands I listen to, you made awesome selections, such as Zeppelin, Rush, and Metallica.
- I've never really liked Opeth or Tool but the songs were among the better I've heard from them.
- Finally, thank you for reminding me that Shearwater exists. I saw them live at All Points West a couple years ago but had forgotten how much I liked them.

All together, an excellent list that wasn't quite my cup of tea, but still a damn good experience.

Phanan's Ashes In The Snow:

I listened to it a couple of times because my first impression was "WTF? Every song sounds the same." And then halfway through Four Tet the second time, it hit me. "Every song sounds the same." It was by design. It was like one big symphony with different guest stars playing parts along the way. And the only thing I didn't like about it was that you pulled it off before I did, :lol:

Very nice, pahana. :up:

Last, but certainly not least, for round two: Joey's list.

Just finished up phanan's playlist. Some thoughts:

- Like everyone's been saying, the flow was absolutely perfect from beginning to end.
- I've never really been a fan of the prog-rock/metal genre, so that held the list back a little for me. But it was still far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
- In terms of bands I listen to, you made awesome selections, such as Zeppelin, Rush, and Metallica.
- I've never really liked Opeth or Tool but the songs were among the better I've heard from them.
- Finally, thank you for reminding me that Shearwater exists. I saw them live at All Points West a couple years ago but had forgotten how much I liked them.

All together, an excellent list that wasn't quite my cup of tea, but still a damn good experience.

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone, which is what I expected. But I'm glad you took something positive away from it!

Phanan's Ashes In The Snow:

I listened to it a couple of times because my first impression was "WTF? Every song sounds the same." And then halfway through Four Tet the second time, it hit me. "Every song sounds the same." It was by design. It was like one big symphony with different guest stars playing parts along the way. And the only thing I didn't like about it was that you pulled it off before I did, :lol:

Very nice, pahana. :up:

Certain songs definitely have common traits, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they all sound the same. But I did put it together so it came across as a complete piece of work, so I'm glad you liked that aspect of it.

Sorry for that incredible delay, back to IWB's list. I love William Shatner, addition of Ben Folds is a nice surprise :D.

And finished. I really really enjoyed that second disc. The flow was a little jumpy at first, but by the halfway point it was a pretty smooth ride, and I was definitely in the mood for the music too, which always helps. I've also discovered that I just inherently love the Gaslight Anthem. Going to need to hear that album soon.

I may not have loved the first disc, but overall this was a very enjoyable experience, and it's always fun to hear music from genres you're not going to always actively seek out.

Certain songs definitely have common traits, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they all sound the same. But I did put it together so it came across as a complete piece of work, so I'm glad you liked that aspect of it.
I didn't mean "the same", like it was 30 covers of the same song, i just meant, they sound similar enough that it piqued my interest and made me think. Something I should've done before I posted my review :der: sorry.

I am really behind on rating these things, so i hope to catch up. Alright, I will start with ultraviolet92's list. I am up to track 10 so far.

Things I like so far:

-Pairing The Raconteurs and The Black Keys together. Great idea.
-I haven't heard "Brick" in forever. It brings back fond memories of my childhood growing up in the nineties.
-I enjoyed the Muse and John Lennon tracks.

Other thoughts: I like this playlist, so far but I am not completely blown away either. But I think it flows decently.

I will tell you more as I listen!

Alright, ultraviolet92, I finished up Part 1.

Hightlights:
-I have never heard of "Gagging Order" before. Beautiful guitar melody. A standout track, for sure. A great way to end the playlist. :up:
-"Effect and Cause" by The White Stripes' lyrics are hilarious and spot-on. "You built a house of cars and got shocked when they fell." "You are like a little girl,
yelling at your brother because you lost your ball." lol. I haven't heard this song before but I liked it.
- I enjoyed Phoenix, Yeah Yeahs, Beatles and the Pixies.
-The strech from Joy Division to Radiohead was a beautiful one. Very cohesive.

Things I didn't like:

- "Big Yellow Taxi Cab." Joni's version is way better than the Counting Crow's version but the song was way overplayed that I don't like it anymore.

Flow is still good and I enjoy the songs that I am hearing but it doesn't feel like a concept album to me. And I don't know why but I am not blown away much that either. The Radiohead song and a couple other ones blew me away though. I am little surprised by some of your song choices as well.

I will start Part 2. tomorrow or sometime this weekend!

Listened to the first section of Joey's list. I really, really dug it. That stretch of She & Him through Wilco was just amazing. And you got me to like a Coldplay song. And as this DI goes on I'm discovering one thing: I fucking LOVE Arcade Fire. Eager to listen to the next two bits, but somnolence has struck. I'll give 'em their fair shake tomorrow.

Damn it all to hell, I'll never be able to do proper rankings for this DI.

Joey, your list was very awesome. The songs fit your theme very well and I felt the story come through. It has a good mix of stuff I've heard and stuff I haven't and put a different spin on a couple of songs for me. The first section is my favourite. I liked it a lot. You did what you set out to do and pulled it off fabulously. I applaud you, sir.

Thanks! Glad to hear that you liked it. And yeah, I agree. It's going to be tough to rank all these playlists. Though I can definitely tell you that Gloria Grey will be near the top for me!

ultraviolet92:

On part 2.

I didn't enjoy the sequence from the 1st to the 6th song. I enjoy the artists you choose but it started to feel repetitious and uneventful for me. I did enjoy the Cold War Kids song but everything felt weird sandwiched between each other. I thought the Interpol and Led Zeppelin transition was off. Getting the negative away of the way, I thought the playlist really took off from the Nick Cave and Bad Seeds song. And Bad was a wonderful transition. And I love the Vampire Weekend, Gorillaz, Cure, Modest Mouse song choices. I felt pace and transition were great starting with song 7. It had an up tempo but chill vibe from that point on. And that's hard to be cool and soothing in some parts at the same time. Props for including "Heroes." And really like "Solitude is Bliss." I need to dig in more of their stuff. And transitioning from that to the Sigur Ros song was superb.

Overall, there were hits and misses for me. Part 2. is probably my favorite by just a couple of inches. Good job. I think flow and and sequence could be better in some parts but I am still left impressed with your playlist.

Joey will be up next! I'll probably get it tomorrow or sometime next week. I am excited to see how he'll surprise me this time around. :up:

Finally got around to yours phanan!

Again, a lot of this music isn't to my taste, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would on paper.

Massive points for the opening combo of Alcest & Led Zep was outstanding, I think the best DI opening I've heard. The music in the Alcest track was awesome and that's a great Led Zep song.

I liked part one more than two, which was more instrumental and dragged a bit for me. But I found sections I enjoyed a lot. Loved the Metallica song and though I'd written off Opeth as just another proponent of a genre I hate, they continue to surprise me. That track was quite proggy.

Flow and transitions were sublime, as others have already said.

:up:

Finally got around to yours phanan!

Again, a lot of this music isn't to my taste, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would on paper.

Massive points for the opening combo of Alcest & Led Zep was outstanding, I think the best DI opening I've heard. The music in the Alcest track was awesome and that's a great Led Zep song.

I liked part one more than two, which was more instrumental and dragged a bit for me. But I found sections I enjoyed a lot. Loved the Metallica song and though I'd written off Opeth as just another proponent of a genre I hate, they continue to surprise me. That track was quite proggy.

Flow and transitions were sublime, as others have already said.

:up:

Thanks man! I knew it wasn't to your musical tastes, so the fact that you enjoyed some of it is a positive as far as I'm concerned.

listened to Joey's list...

really enjoyed it! part one started terrifically, opening with We're Gonna Be Friends was a great move, set the tone for your story well, even if i didn't necessarily get the impression from the songs themselves. Boyfriend is an awesome song. shame i can't go round singing it when it gets stuck in my head :lol: hated Invincible, but then i don't like Muse. i loved Love is Noise when it came out, still do apparently. Siren Song was amazing. however i didn't enjoy one of the songs from Garbage thru NIN. part three was my favourite part; The Messenger was the only song i didn't like (nice enough music, horrendous vocals from Chester). as for flow and transitions, it was off in some places but mostly very good, transitions such as Twilight Galaxy > Shiver, Siren Song > Conversation 16, A Drowning > Slug > Bulletproof, were inspired. overall a great job :up:

Boyfriend is an awesome song. shame i can't go round singing it when it gets stuck in my head :lol:

I have the exact same problem! Hahaha. Great song but not exactly a lyrical match for me. :lol:

transitions such as Twilight Galaxy > Shiver, Siren Song > Conversation 16, A Drowning > Slug > Bulletproof, were inspired. overall a great job :up:

Thanks! Glad to hear you liked it!

Well not to say that I didn't like the first part of your list, Phanan, the second half was phenomenal. Really got a lot of out of that, the sound was amazing and it all flowed together so nicely. A few bands in there I'm going to need to check out, I imagine. "Truenorth" was probably my favorite track.

Back
Top Bottom