Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Three - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Cobl04's Playlist:

- The trilogy of Rolling Stones, Bowie, and The National worked brilliantly together. Energetic start to the playlist with some great picks by all three artists.
- Thought the transition was off between “Abel” and “Ibi Dreams Of Pavement.” The build-up didn’t work well with the former’s explosive ending.
- Los Campesinos! is a band I’ve only gotten into with their latest release, but that was a damn good song. Worked well with Tame Impala too.
- I really enjoyed the Australian segment of the playlist, all the songs worked well together but didn’t sounds repetitive. Good variety of artists from same place.
- I wasn’t really a fan of the acoustic section from Nick Drake to Bob Seger. I don’t usually mind stripped down tracks like this but I just don’t enjoy most of the songs from these three.
- On the other hand, I love the segment from “Here Comes The Sun” to “Fake Plastic Trees.” Simply beautiful songs that fit together wonderfully. I especially though Eno into Coldplay was a perfect fit.
- “Bodies” was an incredible song. As much as I love “Fuck You,” I feel bad that it seems to be overshadowing the rest of Cee-Lo’s very strong album.
- I really liked the Massive Attack to Gorillaz segment. Three awesome tracks that fit well together.
- As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t like hardcore rap so that middle segment did nothing for me.
- However, you ended really strongly with LCD Soundsystem. Great way to close the setlist.

Although I liked part 1 better than part 2, this was a very strong effort from beginning to end. Great job!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

i should probably give cobbler's second half a second shot. 50 cent pretty much single-handedly ruined things for me (although it wasn't the only thing i didn't dig, that was the biggest deterrent). kind of like i should give cee-lo another shot, or something. ladies and gentlemen, you've caught me in probably the most open-minded mood i've been in in the last 12 years. where's bomac? he's gonna think i'm lying.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Then, I plan on having everyone submit rankings shortly after, perhaps on March 1. I'll set a firm date when I launch the fourth thread.
Phanan, can you we have more time for the fourth thread? The other threads got at least 2 weeks of listening. And I don't think it's fair since it's the last one that it gets 3 days of listening before people turn in their rankings. I think a week at least would be fair. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Okay, so for whatever strange reason Namkcur’s playlist will not download for me. I just went ahead and listened to it via Youtube videos (which thankfully had every track.) I did not take into account transitions.

Namkcur
Highlight: The combination of A Lover’s Concerto and Air.

Favorite Aspect: I liked the concept. 2010 and 1974 really captured what you were going for more than the other two in my opinion.

Other Things I liked:
1. 2010 was my favorite section. Not a bad song in it.
2. LCD Soundsystem is the main artist I am going to look into after I am done with all the playlists. Unfortunately they are breaking up, so great timing there!
3. I love the song 7 Seconds.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Phanan, can you we have more time for the fourth thread? The other threads got at least 2 weeks of listening. And I don't think it's fair since it's the last one that it gets 3 days of listening before people turn in their rankings. I think a week at least would be fair. Just my thoughts.
There are only three playlists in the fourth thread; it shouldn't take longer than a week to get through those. And since you are in that group, you only have to listen to two.

Remember, as of March 1st, we will have been doing this for TWO MONTHS. That is more than enough time.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
There are only three playlists in the fourth thread; it shouldn't take longer than a week to get through those. And since you are in that group, you only have to listen to two.

Remember, as of March 1st, we will have been doing this for TWO MONTHS. That is more than enough time.
Yes, that makes a whole lot of sense. Yes, two months is a lot of time and people should finish the playlists with no problem. Thanks for explaining.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #67
45:33

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Cobl04's Playlist:

- The trilogy of Rolling Stones, Bowie, and The National worked brilliantly together. Energetic start to the playlist with some great picks by all three artists.
- Thought the transition was off between “Abel” and “Ibi Dreams Of Pavement.” The build-up didn’t work well with the former’s explosive ending.
- Los Campesinos! is a band I’ve only gotten into with their latest release, but that was a damn good song. Worked well with Tame Impala too.
- I really enjoyed the Australian segment of the playlist, all the songs worked well together but didn’t sounds repetitive. Good variety of artists from same place.
- I wasn’t really a fan of the acoustic section from Nick Drake to Bob Seger. I don’t usually mind stripped down tracks like this but I just don’t enjoy most of the songs from these three.
- On the other hand, I love the segment from “Here Comes The Sun” to “Fake Plastic Trees.” Simply beautiful songs that fit together wonderfully. I especially though Eno into Coldplay was a perfect fit.
- “Bodies” was an incredible song. As much as I love “Fuck You,” I feel bad that it seems to be overshadowing the rest of Cee-Lo’s very strong album.
- I really liked the Massive Attack to Gorillaz segment. Three awesome tracks that fit well together.
- As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t like hardcore rap so that middle segment did nothing for me.
- However, you ended really strongly with LCD Soundsystem. Great way to close the setlist.

Although I liked part 1 better than part 2, this was a very strong effort from beginning to end. Great job!
thanks a lot joey, i enjoyed reading your comments and glad to hear you enjoyed a lot of it!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Cobbler Salad, you're up tonight. :hitsplay:
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Friggin' Cobbler broke my friggin' iTunes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. During every song from Eno through Radiohead, it kept spazzing out. Once it got to the Flaming Lips, it was okay again. No idea what its problem was. Even tried to close & restart it, no good.

I really liked your list. Well, the first half. Hip-hop isn't my thing. I liked Cee-Lo and Gorillaz and Jay-Z, of course, but the rest of it just was blah and boring for me. The first half was awesome. I don't think there's one song I didn't enjoy. The opening trio may be one of the strongest openings of DI VIII. Good job, Weribee.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 AM   #70
45:33

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Friggin' Cobbler broke my friggin' iTunes. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. During every song from Eno through Radiohead, it kept spazzing out. Once it got to the Flaming Lips, it was okay again. No idea what its problem was. Even tried to close & restart it, no good.

I really liked your list. Well, the first half. Hip-hop isn't my thing. I liked Cee-Lo and Gorillaz and Jay-Z, of course, but the rest of it just was blah and boring for me. The first half was awesome. I don't think there's one song I didn't enjoy. The opening trio may be one of the strongest openings of DI VIII. Good job, Weribee.
so you did get to listen to the whole thing in the end though?

glad you so enjoyed part one. i knew i was pushing shit uphill to have part two well liked, so no worries there. thrilled to read you liked all part one however.

and it's "WeRRibee", thank you very much
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
so you did get to listen to the whole thing in the end though?

glad you so enjoyed part one. i knew i was pushing shit uphill to have part two well liked, so no worries there. thrilled to read you liked all part one however.

and it's "WeRRibee", thank you very much
yeah, played the songs individually to get the four or five-second sections that itunes got stuck on; worked like a charm.

Part two was fine at first, it just got a little tiring after NWA.

Whatever. FRRiggin' CobbleRR.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #72
Refugee

bono_212

- I really enjoyed the 80s segment at the beginning. Well put together and the songs all flowed without sound too similar to each other.
- I'm not really a fan of that lo-fi, Bloody Valentine type of noise so I didn't enjoy that track or "Strange Fruit."
- Chapterhouse through Galaxie500 was an amazing segment. Loved how the three tracks sounded together.
- The strings at the end of "Vapour Trail" worked brilliantly with the "All The Lights" interlude. Beautiful segment
- Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of some of the tracks towards the end, such as Echo & the Bunnymen, Big Country, Tom Petty, and Fleetwood Mac.
- The ending duo is one of the strongest I've seen in this round. "Suburban War" and "Tonight, Tonight" worked far better together than I thought they would. Great way to end the playlist!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #73
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Thank you very much Joey, and i'm glad someone commented on "Vapour Trail" and "All of The Lights", since that was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever done .

Shame you didn't like my favorite part of the list though .
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

oneblood's Jouissance

Highlight: A tie between N.E.R.D and Dr Dre. Both songs were a great groove and got me moving.

Favorite part: The stretch of Beck through Snoop Dogg. Usher's "Yeah!" always puts me in an awesome mood. And the old-school west-coast rap brought back memories of junior high school. And who doesn't like Snoop?

Other Things I Licked: Alligator (Toro Y Moi Remix). This was quite cool. As was Buttaflybeat. Nice little drum solo interlude. Very nice transition from chillwave to electronica.

Hip-hop is not my thing. But this was quite enjoyable. Imma go listen to Nuthin But A 'G' Thang/Gin and Juice again. With Snoop and Dre guesting on each other's records, it felt like one solid piece. Excellent pairing there.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

namkcuR's list was up tonight. I got through the 1984 section and absolutely adore it so far. That Julian Lennon track was delightful. I have that album, I should listen to it more often. The whole section was delightful. If the hosting site hadn't been such a bitch, I would've listened to more, but I'm definitely looking forward to the rest.