Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Three - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:21 AM
I've listened to the first part of cobbler's entry.

The beginning was hit or miss for me, with some great stuff (Stones, National) and other things I'm not particularly fond of (Bowie, Los Campesinos, etc.), but once I reached the Crowdies, oh man, did this list take off. That entire section from Crowded House to Paul Dempsey was fantastic, and then the rest of the way was also very good.

You get major props from me for including Seger, who I always find to be a bit underrated; I've had a couple of DI sequences over the last couple of years that have included him, but they've never made my final cut. But he will make an appearance for me at some point. And the transition from him to Here Comes The Sun was well done.

Hope to get to Part 2 by Monday.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #17
Refugee

Just listened to namkcuR's playlist.

- The Toys and Talking Heads worked surprising well next to each other. I think the fact that the intro of “Air” sounds kinds throwback-ish and then adds in the more elements. Sadly though, I wasn’t really a fan of the Talking Heads song itself.
- As I’ve noted on other playlists, I love Depeche Mode. “Blasphemous Rumors” was an awesome choice and it segued well into Men at Work.
- “Valotte” to “Frederick” worked incredibly. Amazing segment. Julian Lennon sounds so much liked his dad, I wondered if my playlist somehow jumped around at first. Really beautiful songs.
- “Pulling Teeth” wasn’t as rough as a transition as it looks on paper. It didn’t fit with the earlier songs, but it wasn’t jarring either.
- “All I Want” into “Sprawl II” into “United States of Eurasia” is one of the best combinations I’ve heard this entire Desert Island. Definite highlight for me.
- Enjoyed the Grizzly Bear and MGMT songs. I think MGMT actually segued pretty well into Jimi Hendrix.
- Surprisingly, I wasn’t as much of a fan of the 1969-1974 as I thought I would be. It started well but the middle section from Stevens to Roberta Flack lost me. Ending on “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” was a great pick though.
- The final part was a mixed bag. The first three were all awesome songs that flowed well together. I’ve never like Phish or Jane’s Addiction though and the RHCP track dragged for me.

All in all, damn good playlist!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #18
45:33

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Listened to part 2 of your list today, Danny.

I loved the eventual transition from slower R&B/soul-type songs to the gangsta rap; Ice Cube made for an incredible pivot into the gangsta section. It was terrific hearing "Soul Clap" used by somebody else. I could've done without 50 Cent, or at least, if he had to appear, I would rather see a track ("Like My Style" would work nicely, in fact) from Get Rich or Die Trying, but I'm really partial to that album. So, that's more of a personal nitpicking thing than anything else.

Hearing "Ignition" for the first time in years made my night.
thanks a lot! putting it all together was great fun since i enjoy the music so much, and i was very interested in what you would think of it.

and that was basically my reason for including Ignition. such an awesome party tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I've listened to the first part of cobbler's entry.

The beginning was hit or miss for me, with some great stuff (Stones, National) and other things I'm not particularly fond of (Bowie, Los Campesinos, etc.), but once I reached the Crowdies, oh man, did this list take off. That entire section from Crowded House to Paul Dempsey was fantastic, and then the rest of the way was also very good.

You get major props from me for including Seger, who I always find to be a bit underrated; I've had a couple of DI sequences over the last couple of years that have included him, but they've never made my final cut. But he will make an appearance for me at some point. And the transition from him to Here Comes The Sun was well done.

Hope to get to Part 2 by Monday.
wow thanks phanan! i am particuarly thrilled you've mentioned Paul Dempsey, he's an Australian artist who released a brilliant solo album in 2009 but i'm the only one who's heard it, so glad you enjoyed it. When You Come is my favourite Crowdies track

Bob Seger is one of the artists my Dad played a lot, so i've always been a fan, and i was pretty chuffed with the transition to The Beatles as well, if i don't say so myself.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Cobbler, Part Deux:

Loved the beginning from Jay-Z to Gorillaz. Excellent work. And moving into gangsta rap territory was seamless with Ice Cube.

The N.W.A. and 2pac tracks are not ones I particularly like, although they certainly went well together. So that was a low point, but after that, I pretty much enjoyed the rest with the exception of R. Kelly, who I've never cared for. Hot Chip and LCD at the end was awesome.

This entry is stronger than your last one, IMO. I dug almost all of both parts; only a few weak spots for me. Well done.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Bono212
Highlight: The trio of Echo & The Bunnymen, Big Country and The Stone Roses.

Favorite Aspect: Like Joey’s playlist this was filled with artists and songs I absolutely love.

Other Things I Liked:
1. The stretch of My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, Wild Nothing and Slowdive was great.
2. Charlotte Sometimes is my favorite Cure song.
3. I liked the entire first half of the playlist.
4. The cover.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:21 AM
that's my little brother with Travis' Halloween mask on playing his guitar XD. I've been using that picture anywhere and everywhere ever since I took it. I made it my album cover as a joke and then ended up just saying, "what the fuck?" and sent it in with the rest of the list.

"Charlotte Sometimes" is certainly climbing in my favorite Cure songs list. Thanks for the kind words, Screw .
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
45:33

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Cobbler, Part Deux:

Loved the beginning from Jay-Z to Gorillaz. Excellent work. And moving into gangsta rap territory was seamless with Ice Cube.

The N.W.A. and 2pac tracks are not ones I particularly like, although they certainly went well together. So that was a low point, but after that, I pretty much enjoyed the rest with the exception of R. Kelly, who I've never cared for. Hot Chip and LCD at the end was awesome.

This entry is stronger than your last one, IMO. I dug almost all of both parts; only a few weak spots for me. Well done.
thanks! glad you enjoyed it; i too felt it was better than my first attempt.

gangsta rap is certainly not for everyone
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:21 AM
Quote:
This image is going to give me nightmares
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Jouissance by Cassie

This was a great playlist. My favorite parts were Bass Bangin', From The Westside, and the final two. I'd never heard that Knife remix before - that was awesome and you pretty much picked my favorite cuts for Westside, even though I realize they are probably the most popular with most others as well. I worked at a music store in the early to mid 90's in a small city, so I got exposed to a lot of hip hop during that time, and it always brings back memories.

Also liked how you put Prince and Beck back to back. Who knew those two artists could have songs that go well together?

The only section I didn't like was I Blow It By The O, although Smoker Face was certainly interesting to hear.

Other than that, 'twas quite the fun list. Certainly was helpful while listening at work yesterday afternoon.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Refugee

Just finished up Jouissance.

I'd say my favorite parts of this playlist were How Does It Feel?, These Waves...are Chill, Bro, and The (Electronica) Party Goes On. Awesome selections in each area that flowed really well. "Sexx Laws," the "Alligator" remix, Flying Lotus, and Maximum Balloon were among my favorite songs of the list. Each of these sections felt distinct but also worked as part of a whole.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the other three sections. This was either due to being sick of the songs ("Sexyback"), not being a fan of the genre (gangsta rap), or simply containing artists I don't like (Missy Elliot, Usher, Kid Cudi.) Sorry but it's just not what I'm into.

So basically, I guess I liked half of the playlist but didn't enjoy the other half. Thanks for some awesome songs though!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
OneBloodOneLife

Highlight: I liked every section except Bass Bangin’ and From The Westside, With Love. My favorite by far was The (Electronica) Party Goes On. It definitely expanded the musical terrain covered in the playlists so far and a major.

Favorite Aspect: The playlists so far have been sonically and conceptually diverse to an extent greater than any game before. That has made ranking these playlists very hard because they have to separate themselves from the crowd. The best aspect of your playlist is that it stood out both in concept and music. That's a tough task at this stage.

Other Things I Liked:
1. The Grizzly Bear track was the best surprise of the playlist.
2. The Wiz Khalifa track was a close second.
3. These Waves…are Chill, Bro was a fantastic section. The stretch of jj, Neon Indian and Washed Out was great.
4. Great titles.
Thanks so much, Screw! I'm glad you and phanan took to the "Knife" remix, and it's cool that you enjoyed "Smoker Face." The evolution of that song from Lady Gaga's feminist-esque empowerment song to Kid Cudi's mostly misogynistic version called "I Poke Her Face" to Wiz Khalifa's smoker's anthem is super fascinating to me for some reason.

Quote:
Jouissance by Cassie

This was a great playlist. My favorite parts were Bass Bangin', From The Westside, and the final two. I'd never heard that Knife remix before - that was awesome and you pretty much picked my favorite cuts for Westside, even though I realize they are probably the most popular with most others as well. I worked at a music store in the early to mid 90's in a small city, so I got exposed to a lot of hip hop during that time, and it always brings back memories.

Also liked how you put Prince and Beck back to back. Who knew those two artists could have songs that go well together?

The only section I didn't like was I Blow It By The O, although Smoker Face was certainly interesting to hear.

Other than that, 'twas quite the fun list. Certainly was helpful while listening at work yesterday afternoon.
Thanks, phanan! Glad the list could brighten up the work day for you too!

You noted the tracks from Westside being the most popular (but also your most favorite, which is awesome!), and that was a conscious decision on my part. I really wanted to go with well-known, top of the charts, hip-hop/R&B in both that section and Bass Bangin', and I'm glad to hear it ended up working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Just finished up Jouissance.

I'd say my favorite parts of this playlist were How Does It Feel?, These Waves...are Chill, Bro, and The (Electronica) Party Goes On. Awesome selections in each area that flowed really well. "Sexx Laws," the "Alligator" remix, Flying Lotus, and Maximum Balloon were among my favorite songs of the list. Each of these sections felt distinct but also worked as part of a whole.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into the other three sections. This was either due to being sick of the songs ("Sexyback"), not being a fan of the genre (gangsta rap), or simply containing artists I don't like (Missy Elliot, Usher, Kid Cudi.) Sorry but it's just not what I'm into.

So basically, I guess I liked half of the playlist but didn't enjoy the other half. Thanks for some awesome songs though!
Thanks for the feedback, Joey! Totally understandable that you wouldn't like some of the tracks...those sections aren't for everybody. But, it's nice knowing you at least enjoyed parts of it.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Yesterday was Ashley's turn.

I have no idea how I'm going to rank these things - everyone has done a really good job, but Ashley's list might be near the top. It looked really strong on paper, and listening to it didn't really change that view. Although some transitions were a little rough, the song selection was just really superb throughout.

Great start with Supertramp, and although I know you substituted Downbound Train late, it goes well here, and of course it doesn't hurt that it's my favorite song from that album. And I've always loved Alive And Kicking.

The Cure song didn't impress me too much, but The Chameleons were good. Having not heard that one before, I started getting confused when they said A Trick Of The Light, and thinking it was the wrong song. But nope, it was definitely Monkeyland. Speaking of A Trick Of The Light, I didn't know that one but it was awesome. Really liked it.

Moving on, I pretty much liked everything else. The Galaxie 500 track was just ok, but certainly not terrible. And I had, for whatever reason, never bothered to listen to the last Frightened Rabbit album (which is weird because I thought the one before was good), but now I'll have to make a point of listening, as the song on here was very good.

Yo La Tengo wasn't too bad, but all the other songs around it were stronger. A nice stretch all the way to the end.

A great listen indeed.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:21 AM
i've been slacking and haven't listened to anything from this batch yet. will remedy that tonight.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:21 AM
I recently listened to the lists from Bono212 and OneBlood.

I genuinely enjoyed the 80s/early 90s vibe that emanated from Bono's playlist. After reading so much about Ride the last few weeks on account of the Nowhere reissue, I found that the track from them justified the praise. The Cure, Slowdive, J&M Chain, and My Bloody Valentine all contributed fantastically to the general mood as well. Ultimately, this list feels like an echo from a bygone but excellent era of music.

OneBlood's list was impeccably sequenced, especially so in the final two sections. The transition between Flying Lotus and Baths was so fluid that it seemed as though the tracks came from the same album. I have become an increasingly avid fan of electronica over the course of the past few years, so the artistry involved with sequencing the tracks here from that genre very much impressed me.

Many of the songs on this playlist are already very much ingrained in my head, for better or worse. Yeah, Sexyback, and Gin & Juice are examples; although I tend to like them, they are so familiar to me that they made the playlist at times seem like a radio station rather than a reflection of your OneBlood's personality. The other parts of the playlist, however, were brimming with character, so all in all it was a valuable listen.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post

OneBlood's list was impeccably sequenced, especially so in the final two sections. The transition between Flying Lotus and Baths was so fluid that it seemed as though the tracks came from the same album. I have become an increasingly avid fan of electronica over the course of the past few years, so the artistry involved with sequencing the tracks here from that genre very much impressed me.

Many of the songs on this playlist are already very much ingrained in my head, for better or worse. Yeah, Sexyback, and Gin & Juice are examples; although I tend to like them, they are so familiar to me that they made the playlist at times seem like a radio station rather than a reflection of your OneBlood's personality. The other parts of the playlist, however, were brimming with character, so all in all it was a valuable listen.
Many thanks for commenting on the Flying Lotus/Baths transition, iron yuppie, as that was my favorite one in the list as well, and the transitions overall, since that's always one of my main goals when putting together a list like this.

As for the more popular, ingrained songs on the list, I completely understand, and it was a known risk when I put them on the list. Hearing it was a valuable listen for you is lovely, and I'm pleased you enjoyed the list overall.