Desert Island VIII Master List, Part One - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:25 PM
LM's list was up last night. the way everyone was expressing their interest in hearing it, i suspected i'd dislike it just as much as i had suspected i would like collapse's list. "fun," "a party," and all that makes for a description that i'd be less than psyched about hearing. putting aside that bias and being ready to be proven wrong was just as interesting as anything else, really. the weather was pretty shitty, but it was very quickly made tolerable because instead of the dance party record of the year that i'd been expecting, what i had playing was a collection of very light and chill, laid back, extremely peaceful winter driving music. the first 10 songs? truly wonderful, and while i didn't particularly enjoy every single one of them individually, i was all ready to praise you for 1) some serious fuckin' flow 2) a seemingly at first glance odd placement of a beastie boys song that ultimately worked amazingly in emphasizing not the beastie boys rap, but the samples included in it. something about how context is everything, and that the fact that this was established so early in the playlist really said something about the time and effort spent into compiling it...and a few other things that are actually irrelavent because i fucked up.

my goddamn ipod rearranged everything in alphabetical order. i'm glad i caught it before i made it all the way through, because as it stands now i'm a little afraid this error might have spoiled things to some degree. i don't get it, because i'm looking at itunes right now, and as it appears on my screen is how it's supposed to be, and i don't see how dragging and dropping it into the ipod would have screwed this up.

so i'll be fixing this, and then i will be listening to your playlist in its actual playlist form later when i wake up this afternoon.

although that means that you didn't actually put cut copy and daft punk back to back like i thought. that transition reeked of cheap obviousness, and i'm glad to see it only exists in my mind.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

and i guess i did fuck up collapse's playlist when i listened to it, too. not nearly as badly, it seems like only 2 or 3 things got misplaced somehow. i still can't figure out how, but yeah, this pretty much just ruined my day.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #78
Refugee

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Just finished up Reggo's soundtrack. I really enjoyed it. Some thoughts:

- The first nine tracks were absolutely perfect. I’m not a fan of all of those artists but it didn’t matter. It flowed so well and created such a dark mood that I was easily dragged into it.
- I also loved your choice of the single mix for “Please.” Much more powerful than the album version. I also like how it’s almost like a momentary escape from the horror/insanity before Tool brings it back down.
- “Subway Song” through “Crucifixus” was also an incredible mix that created a similar dark mood to the start but one that felt different enough that it wasn’t repetitive.
- I enjoyed the somewhat looping themes that kept coming back, such as falling asleep/.not being able to sleep.
- I think one of my favorite things about this playlist is how peaceful some of it can be, such as “The Unforgettable Fire” and parts of “Doctor Finkelstein/In The Forest.”
- The only parts of this playlist that didn’t work for me was the Green Day and Muse songs. I felt like both broke the spell the rest of the soundtrack had been weaving throughout.
- Overall, this has been an incredible soundtrack to listen to, full of songs that I wouldn’t hear by themselves but absolutely loved as part of a whole.

Brilliant job! This was great to listen to!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Thanks, man. I'm glad everyone's enjoying it, dark and messed up as it is, lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Almost done with Reggo's entry - this is one fucked up playlist. And I mean that in a good way, even if I wouldn't listen to quite a bit of this stuff myself. It certainly goes well together.

I'll have specific thoughts when I finish.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

decided to distance myself from the songs on LM's list before i give it a go in its proper order (give me a few days, i'll have completely forgotten them cos i only heard them once and my memory has been sketchy at best lately). i want to pay it its proper respect, as i'd like to treat everyone's lists, and still kind of think i committed some kind of unforgivable sin not scrutinizing the exact order things got spit onto my ipod in.

so...listening to iyup this morning. being broken between day and night, i figured i'd listen to the first part during the day while it is sunny and light outside.

while i didn't enjoy the m83/fleet foxes couple in the beginning like others did, pink floyd kicked my ass in gear and set things right.

i am a bad u2 fan, this has been established a number of times, and i hope it doesn't come as a surprise anymore when i say that this was the first time (or i'm pretty sure it was, anyway, because i can't remember if i ever did listen to no line once through, parts of it, or never any at all). but honestly, "breathe" was excellent. excellent in placement in your mix, and an excellent choice of a song in general. definitely counts as a highlight.

in that half, no other songs really jumped out at me. but i wouldn't say that's a bad thing. everything just flowed as one pretty peaceful entity. every transition seemed very even to me. i spaced out a bit during the whole can't you hear me knocking/elton john/deluge bit, but i also felt like i was supposed to space out there and just enjoy the music.

definitely enjoyable.

i'll get to part 2 once it's dark out...after i wake up.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:25 AM
T-minus 5 minutes until Reggo's playlist happens.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Well Reggo, that had to be the darkest and most disturbing playlist in the history of DI.

Great use of the songs you chose, and they obviously went well together, creating an excellent mindfuck to the listener. I agree with Screw that the first portion of the playlist was probably my favorite part, and I also agree with Joey that Green Day didn't seem to fit in too well, although I thought ending with Muse was cool. And I can't think of a better use of Revolution 9 than in your playlist.

I didn't care for some of the song selections - bands like Type O Negative and Slipknot are just not my cup of tea, but again, they worked well for what you were going for here.

So thanks for that listening experience. I think.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks, phanan.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Listened to Screwtape's playlist this evening, and I think this is his best entry yet. And that's saying a lot considering how long he's been doing this, between DI and the minis.

This was a great piece of work from start to finish - well, close to the finish anyway. The ordering and transitions are top notch, as are most of the song selections, and you covered a wide range of music here. Towards the end, things get a bit out of whack - some songs unfortunately have bad edits that disturb the overall flow (Todd Rundgren's Living being one) and the last couple of songs were probably my least favorites on the whole thing.

And allow me to nitpick briefly here - the single version of Atomic is nowhere near as good as the original album version. I wish you had used that instead.

But damn, other than those minor quibbles, this was just fantastic. You even summoned a bit of Retro Island into this, with a great Gary Numan track and an excellent one-hit wonder from the 80's with The Passions. You've outdone yourself man...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Retro Island
Old 01-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #87
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

we need to have another one.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

Yesssssss. I feel like I have such a better grasp on the genre now.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Which genre?

And did you get a chance to listen to my list yet, Ash?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

New Wave/post punk. And no, didn't get a chance, life and new pillows got in the way.