Desert Island VIII Master List, Part One - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I just finished Reggo's list. Let me just say that this one felt apocalyptic. I definitely heard the ominous undercurrents that others have commented upon, which suggests that this playlist has been highly successful in creating and sustaining a certain mood.

Here are a few highlights:

The stretch from "Revolution 9" to "Lullaby" was almost disturbingly cohesive, and I loved the inclusion of "Subway Song."

On some days, "Please" is among my top three U2 songs, and its inclusion here did an example job of highlighting a somber element to U2's music that is too often forgotten.

The Sunn O))) track developed in a hypnotic manner; I remained thoroughly interested throughout the entire sixteen minutes.

I was unfamiliar with most of the artists included here, so I was forced from my comfort zone; the experience, however, was rewarding.
Thanks, iYup. Honestly, I'm not sure what inspired me to do such a dark list. It just sort of came together in a very strange way.

I'm listening to yours now. Loving it. I've yet to listen to collapse's list, but you and Screwtape are neck-and-neck for my top vote at the moment.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Please report on what you think of it. I have been meaning to hear that album for a long time.
I wouldn't say it's Robert's best work or anything, but it's definitely worth your time. Had I known that I'd be reporting back on what I thought of the album, I would've paid a pit more attention, but as it was I listened to it at about 2 AM so I can't quite remember everything . But it definitely had a vibe to it and a few excellent tracks. I think Screw and I were in agreement on what the best was, however.

EDIT: Nope, just checked, my favorite track was "This Green City". But obviously I liked the track Screw included as well or I never would've bothered lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Thanks. I am glad you are checking out Blue Sunshine. It is definitely a lost gem of the 80's.
Thank you for including the song, that's what I love most about DI. Discoveries *ooooh*

Old 01-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Awesome, iYup. Just awesome.

Highlight: The jazz was great, but my favourite part was Veil Veil Vanish through The National. That part really clicked for me.

Like I said in my previous post, it's going to be very hard to do the rankings.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:06 AM
finally getting around to loading everything properly onto my ipod, because listening while playing video games wasn't happening like i thought it was. too many interruptions would have made for truncated listening in parts, and that simply will not do. i was almost afraid phanan might have posted another batch, and i'd have an assload of catching up to do, but i'm glad that's not the case.

going to start with collapse's because while i haven't read through a track listing that i'm not interested in hearing (in other words, i read through everyone's playlists and everything looks interesting), the promise of some metal made me most happy. and i see that there is indeed metal to be heard. opeth, in flames, dimmu borgir, oh my. but more about that once i get my ass off here and go listen.

i feel kind of like a putz because while i was loading things into itunes, i realized i actually had that underworld song (that being the only underworld song i apparently had), but don't even remember who they are, what it sounds like, or where it might have come from. for shame.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
And the twofer of Fleet Foxes and Floyd was great - and you get bonus points for the Cirrus Minor selection...
In the end, it's probably obvious that I enjoyed listening to this. Great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggo
Awesome, iYup. Just awesome.
Many thanks to both of you. Phanan, I'm glad that you enjoyed and appear to be very familiar with "Cirrus Minor." It is one my favorite Pink Floyd songs, which is really saying something because Floyd is my favorite band ever. Its mood is so perfectly sustained, and, if the organ solo at the end is how it feels to be on a hallucinogenic drug, I can certainly understand why so many people partake in them.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Let the listening commence...

Reggo

1. My Chemica Romance - “Romance” - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love (1:05)

Total runtime: 137:40 or 2:37:40

Apparently, I can't spell OR add... and it took me a week to notice this.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:06 AM
Don't feel bad, I didn't even notice the error when cutting and pasting.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:06 AM
i really enjoyed collapse's playlist.

a major highlight was the agalloch tune. nothing more to say than wicked cool song, even if it was a little too long. as awesome as that was, finntroll was even more awesome. the entire "call to arms" segment was exactly what i'd been looking forward to hearing. i don't want to say what axver said as far as you coming at the genre of metal from a different place than i would, because i'm a lot less well-versed in it. metal is such a vague term because it encompasses so many sub-genres, a metalhead could be some simpleton who only likes slayer and motorhead to this guy i used to know from the university radio station who did a solely european metal show with more diversity than i ever thought was possible. i always had a hard time listening to it regularly because it all tended to blend together, and i could never seem to keep track of what i liked and didn't like. pretty much all i can tell here is i greatly enjoy this stuff, and had totally forgotten dimmu borgir existed. and being reminded? not a bad thing at all.

have to admit i was taken aback a bit because i initially thought that kylesa song was going to be a smashing pumpkins cover, which would have sucked immensely. instead, it made me want to check out more of their stuff.

i enjoyed the way the playlist morphed into more of the computer-infused, post-rock-ish, chill, more instrumental than lyric-based stuff that a lot of the metal kids i knew morphed into over time. although you did it without getting experimental for the sake of being weird, pretending to be art, and just being annoying sound passed off as music (like what's that guy's name who puts out the 100+ cd sets of just static and beeps? fuck that shit). the twin panda through animals as leaders part was particularly cool. jaydiohead kind of ruined things there for me, but it did fit nicely in the sense that it broke up a couple instrumental, meandering tracks and kept them from blending together (not saying they sounded the same, just saying that having never heard either of them before, they might melt into one lump in my mind before i learn to distinguish and identify them).

and then the last part is a pretty nice conclusion to the whole thing. on the whole, pretty solid list.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #69
45:33

Local Time: 08:06 PM
started on your list lemel, and i will firstly say that i haven't been a fan of one or two of the transitions, blasphemic as it is to say that to you i know

great start and i really love a bit of Motown, it's so much fun to listen to. i wanted to use The Righteous Brothers on my list but i don't have any other music like it so it couldn't fit.

Quote:
Floyd is my favorite band ever.
i didn't know this, though i should have guessed given your comments on some of their albums (Animals in particular). Dark Side is my favourite album of all time, and i must be one of about 0.00000000000000001% of humanity who believes it richly deserves all the praise it gets.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Dark Side is my favourite album of all time, and i must be one of about 0.00000000000000001% of humanity who believes it richly deserves all the praise it gets.
Ha, you can count me among that peculiar demographic as well. On some days, it is my favorite Floyd album. Contending with Wish You Were Here and Animals is no easy task, however.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #71
45:33

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Quote:
Ha, you can count me among that peculiar demographic as well. On some days, it is my favorite Floyd album. Contending with Wish You Were Here and Animals is no easy task, however.

you are certainly correct though! Wish You Were Here is nearly flawless and Animals is just incredible.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

halfway through collapse's list. Enjoying it so far. Full report when it's finished.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #73
Refugee

Listened to the Day half of ironyuppie's playlist.

- For the most part, this half is all over the map but in a good way. I like the variety.
- I like the way the M83 song builds up throughout its three minutes. Haven’t heard much from them, but I’d love to hear more.
- Sorry, but I’m definitely not a fan of Fleet Foxes. I think the transition here doesn’t work well either, since M83 builds up but this track takes the energy back down.
- That being said, the transition into “Cirrus Minor” was perfect. I couldn’t even tell that the tracks changes over until the vocals came in. Absolutely marvelous job there. : )
- “Breathe” is one of my favorite NLOTH tracks. I think the transition from Pink Floyd was a little rough but it was still a great choice.
- Nice blues rock section in the middle, with Robert Plant, Rolling Stones, and White Stripes.
- This side started to lose me from “Deluge” through “Swanlights.” The minimalist nature of some of the songs didn’t keep me into it and I felt it lost the momentum it had going for it.
- Radiohead is one of my favorite artists so it’s always difficult for me to listen to covers without bias. “Let Down” wasn’t bad and had some creative elements with the piano. But it lost a lot of the layers that makes the song great in the first place. I can definitely see the sun setting while listening to this though, readying us for the night half.

Going to start the second half now!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

collapse's list:

This was certainly an eclectic mix. Some of the transitions were a bit dodgy, but a lot of them worked. Metal isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I enjoyed listening to this list. I have to say, all in all, not bad for a first outing into DI. Certainly better than my first shot at it.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #75
Refugee

Ironyuppie, part 2! First off, I think this playlist flowed much better than the first half did and just had better songs all together. Kept me listening from beginning to end, looking forward to what's next.

- I’ve always been a casual fan of Depeche Mode. Had their greatest hits and Sounds of the Universe. I saw them live in summer 2009 and they closed with this song, a beautiful way to end the show. Here though, it works wonderfully as a slow-building opener. I really, really need to listen to Violator as a whole.
- Loved the way “Anthem for a Doomed Team” exploded out of the slow conclusion of “Waiting for the Night.” Another band I need to check out more from.
- I liked the song selection for Fever Ray but the placement felt off. It didn’t flow well from Veil Veil Vanish. Still, a strong song choice for the night playlist.
- LCD Soundsystem has always been hit or miss for me. Count this in the hit column though. I love everything about this song, the melody, the keyboards, the lyrics. Perfect selection.
- Thinking about LCD followed the National doesn’t work on any level in my head. Yet you pulled it off wonderfully here. Plus, you did it with one of my favorite Alligator tracks.
- Big fan of the Portishead selection. Sounds like a jazzier James Bond theme with some really soulful vocals. Segued well into Miles Davis.
- I immensely loved the trilogy of songs from “Cymbal Rush” to “Trust Me.” They were all beautiful, almost ethereal choices that also conveyed a sense of darkness. The Smiths track was almost a pickup but still kept the same mood.
- I’ve never been a fan of Bjork at all but this was an excellent selection to close the album out. After the darker tracks, it felt much lighter but still fit with the general theme.

So all together, I think that the second half made a far stronger showing than the first. The Day playlist lost steam about halfway through for me and it never really recovered. The Night playlist was strong from beginning to end.