Desert Island VIII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
finished your list elmel!!

i really did enjoy it, though not as much as i thought i would/was hoping to. MJ/Funkadelic was a terrific opening (haven't been able to stop singing One Nation for a few days, and it has some awesome lines as well - "do you promise to funk / the whole funk / and nothing but the funk", "getting down just for the funk of it") and the Motown section was a lot of fun, as i said. the Isaac Hayes song was fantastic, i've been keen to get into him (and all of old funk really).

the stretch from Kanye to LCD was fantastic, though i do prefer my dance music more upbeat and faster (Crystal Castles is definitely not my type of dance music). the Madonna song in particular was great. easily the best song of hers i've heard.

Electric Feel onwards... i could hardly pick a fault with. the Lupe Fiasco song was damn good (he has a new album out soon yes?) and it was all seamless into SpottieOttieDopalicious and Big Poppa (my favourite Biggie song). Faithful let me down cos i was waiting for a rap that never came. Unfinished Sympathy is amazing.

overall great stuff! though i thought some of the transitions were rough - Tribulations > Ladyflash was bad, among others.

iYup is up next.

second part of iyup's playlist was not as much a departure from the first half as i was anticipating. not that this is a bad thing, it's actually probably a better thing than had it been more like what i was expecting. however, i don't really know what i was expecting, so i guess i really have no idea what i'm talking about at all.

song-wise, not really my favorite kind of thing, too many digital sounds for me, but it's your list--not mine. pretty much everything works well together here, with one exception that i am kicking myself for saying, but i think it might have been better zola jesus/bjork without the smiths in between. nothing against that smiths song. i love that song, and it was a great break amidst some of the other stuff i really wasn't too fond of. there was just something about the guitars that made it feel like it didn't quite fit in between those other two songs.

i consider it a good thing if a playlist makes me want to go off on tangents and come up with other things to listen to other things that i think go well. i consider it a bad thing if i get hung up on one band and want to stop making my way through the list and go listen to them. the latter could have easily happened after "all the wine," but the mix as a whole was strong enough to keep me from doing that. around the miles davis part made me wanna do the former, and that was cool.

never been able to tolerate bjork, and i admit i had to cut that one short knowing it was at the end.

being one of the very few people here who aren't bowing down to kiss james murphy's feet at the lcd soundsystem altar, i did enjoy the inclusion of probably the only song of theirs/his that i really, really like.

:up:

if reggo's playlist wasn't somehow inverted on my ipod, i'd do that now (i am too lazy to fix it at the moment). i want to hear dark and twisted. on paper it doesn't look nearly as fucked up to me as everyone's been saying, but i don't know every single song on there.

overall great stuff! though i thought some of the transitions were rough - Tribulations > Ladyflash was bad, among others.

Ha, it's funny you mention that transition, as it was specifically mentioned as one of the better ones elsewhere. I guess, no matter how much effort I put in, transitions will remain subjective. :lol: Personally, I thought that was one of the weaker ones also. That and Kanye > Daft Punk showed me running into walls a bit.

Screw, I forgot to review your list, and now that I've been distanced from it somewhat I've forgotten a few of the points I had to make. Regardless, I will try:

First off, the poem kicked ass, especially read over that track from Akira. I've ragged on you about your subject matter(s) in the past, but never forget that you have a lot of talent.

You also haven't forgotten how to make great lists, this one being your best since DI3. It gets off to a weak start as far as far as flow goes; I didn't really feel what you were going for until the Slowdive track ( :rockon: ), but from then until about track 25 or so it all felt right to me. Really great dark run there, I enjoyed nearly every track, most of them songs I was unfamiliar with. The Glove :drool:

I, like a couple of others, didn't so much dig the ending. Made sense in the context of the list when taken as a whole, but I was in such a spell by that point that the return to electronic felt a bit jarring (especially with that Faithless song which, granted, flowed great into United Colours). Overall though, this was a very good list with a palpable atmosphere and a clutch of great (slightly) obscure songs. I give it a B+.

if reggo's playlist wasn't somehow inverted on my ipod, i'd do that now (i am too lazy to fix it at the moment). i want to hear dark and twisted. on paper it doesn't look nearly as fucked up to me as everyone's been saying, but i don't know every single song on there.
well, give it a shot at least. And do feel free to skip the Green Day song. This goes for anyone else who listens to it after this. Upon further review, it really doesn't fit there or anywhere on this list. I threw it in at the last minute and now I'm regretting it.

Ha, it's funny you mention that transition, as it was specifically mentioned as one of the better ones elsewhere. I guess, no matter how much effort I put in, transitions will remain subjective. :lol: Personally, I thought that was one of the weaker ones also. That and Kanye > Daft Punk showed me running into walls a bit.
oh yeah transitions are definitely subjective. that just didn't work for me.

some seriously great song selections you made though.

I've begun to turn away from criticizing transitions. there's not a lot you can do about bands like Cut Copy and their songs just cutting off. It's great when you can find a sweet transition because it helps the flow, but to me, flow is the #1 factor. Well, #2, song selection will always be #1, but poor flow can hurt song selection.

well, give it a shot at least. And do feel free to skip the Green Day song. This goes for anyone else who listens to it after this. Upon further review, it really doesn't fit there or anywhere on this list. I threw it in at the last minute and now I'm regretting it.

oh, i'll give it a shot. and soon, too. because i'm now down to your list and screwtape's until the next batch gets sent out. i'm curious what you all will call part 1 of mine if something containing type o negative, tool, slipknot, etc. is dark and disturbing. eh...you'll probably just call it angry, borderline assaultive, and all hate it.

i'm not skipping anything. i suffered through the hip hop portion of LM's list, i'm definitely not skipping one song because it doesn't 100% fit.

yes, LM's list was up today.

and yes, it is a party. it's still not dance party of the year, as it still strikes me far more low-key overall than i'd thought. there were a bunch of songs i liked a whole lot more than i thought i would, the funkadelic one being the first of those. i'm a little curious as to how i'd never known that michael jackson song was michael jackson, but i still dislike it all the same.

the todd rundgren thru sharon jones section was easily my favorite. anything including "in the midnight hour" is definitely...i believe the common vernacular expression on the internet now is "made of win." pretty sure i've never heard a version of that song i haven't liked, however mr. wilson pickett is the ultimate win, so yeah. absolutely awesome. the inclusion of the four tops, smokey robinson, diana ross (honestly, if i was going to dance at all, it would be during this song), sam & dave was great. and the transitions in and out of this segment were top-notch.

in the electronic dance part--electronic dance music is pretty far up there on the list of things i hate most about the world. every once in a while i have to remember it's not all mindless beats for people to drunkenly rub against each other in a club in between trips to the bathroom to snort/shoot/pop whatever their choice poison may be. the cut copy song, your adopted title track i guess you could call it? fucking awesome. everyone's lists are making me realize that i really just don't enjoy most lcd soundsystem, and i'd never as much as heard of hercules and love affair but based on the couple songs i've heard from this list and iyup's, i do believe i never want to hear anything else from them again. rather than to accompany me while i matt berninger-dance around like the white kid i am, i want this stuff as a winter driving soundtrack because in my mind, it's actually pretty pleasantly relaxing.

can't really comment on the hip hop portion. i'm sure it had the same higher level of effort put into maintaining its flow, but as it all sounds kind of like crap to me...sorry, i tried. nothing is ever going to get me to not find "i love it when you call me big poppa" the most irritating kind of music on the face of the earth. the fact that lupe fiasco reminded me of tupac probably first off proves i know jack shit about rap/hip hop, and second caused me to dislike the song. actually, it had something to do with the overall sound, and i don't have the production knowledge and general vocabulary to possibly pinpoint where i'm going with this. it's extra ridiculous (i mean it's more ridiculous than my actual comment here) that what piqued my interest about the song in general was that this is what it reminded me of, but then that interest just turned into more "sorry, there is nothing that's ever going to change my mind and make me think this is good." i listened to all of it, and was glad that it wasn't a larger part of the entire playlist, and the entire thing ends well with massive attack.

The second master list thread will probably be up tonight; it will contain four playlists. In fact, the remaining ones will all have four. Our total player count ended up at 17, as coolian2 dropped out.

Btw, participation so far has been fantastic. You guys are doing a great job checking out these playlists and providing some feedback. Let's keep it going...

I guess I'll post all my feedback for all five lists in one post...

El-Mel:

Great list. My favorite part was the oldie/motown-ish block at the beginning, with The Supremes, Smokey, Stevie, MJ, Four Tops, Aretha, Issac Hayes, etc. Really great stuff. I like electronic music, but certain types of electronic music, and outside of Daft Punk, LCD, and MGMT, the stuff in the electronic section was outside my comfort zone. But it was pretty good too. That Streets song in particular was one I came back to. I'm not a huge hip-hop guy, so I expected the last section to be less interesting to me, but it was solid, and in no way detrimental enough to drag the rest of the list down. Badu, Biggie, and Jay-Z in particular were good. Overall, really enjoyable list to listen to, and I fully expect it to be in the top tier when the votes come in.

Reggo:

Probably the most unique list in the history of DI. I've never heard a list quite like it. I felt like I was walking through an abandoned mental hospital haunted by the ghosts of its former patients. That doesn't mean it was bad though. Highlights were Tori Amos, Radiohead, Muse, Sarah Brightman, Hiro Goto/Adrienne Woods Unforgettable Fire, and of course Please and Corpse. Someone said they wanted to hear that Sunn O))) song, but I have to say it didn't do much for me. I've also never liked Slipknot. I didn't really care for Siouxsie & The Banshees' cover of Helter Skelter - I love the song, I just didn't feel their interpretation. Overall, given the nature and atmosphere of the list, it could have been a lot worse, but it comes out pretty decent.

Collapse:

Outside of Metallica, I listen to almost no metal, so I knew going in that this list was going to be tough for me. There were actually a good handful of tracks that I thought were musically interesting, but too often a guy starts growling some indecipherable lyrics over it, and it almost ruins it for me. This metal stuff is almost always better when it's purely instrumental, imo. Anyway, this was the most dense of the five lists. It's a lot to digest, and to be honest, I probably won't listen to most of it again, but there are a few tracks I'll give another spin to - Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse(the singing is awful and almost ruins the really enjoyable music), This Is Halloween, Invictus, Alone And Unaware..., Tony's Song, On Impulse, Constantinople, Marysal, The Bully Plank, Blood, Nut In Your Eye, and the Radiohead/Jay-Z mash-up(I enjoy that whole record of mash-ups). Actually, that's more than I thought I'd list. Maybe Stupid Girl, Stupid Horse, and I Lay Sleepless. Overall, the list was considerably better than I thought it would be, and was an enjoyable listen.

Iron Yuppie:

Your list had perhaps the best flow so far, as well as good song selection. There wasn't much not to like here. Love the opening - I hadn't heard the M83 track before, but I like it. Fleet Foxes are good, that organ in Cirrus Minor is beautiful, and U2 is U2. Halfway through the Robert Plant song, I realized was enjoying it quite a bit and didn't know who it was(while I love all of LZ, I haven't heard any of his solo stuff), and was surprised to see it was him. Good stuff. I've never been a big White Stripes fan, but that song was alright. Loved both jazz selections(Shorter and Miles). O'Riley performed a nice interpretation of one of my favorite RH songs, even if it didn't quite capture the power of the original. Depeche Mode is great, LCD is good, and the ending, everything from Portishead to Bjork was really good, except for The Smiths(sorry, from the limited amount of them I've heard, I'm not getting them yet). Like I said before, I loved the Miles Davis selection, and I hadn't heard that Bjork song before, but I generally like her, and that song was beautiful. Just a lot of good songs and really good flow. Good job.

Screwtape:

Your list is very good, top to bottom, Screw. I had never heard of Geino Yamash before, but this track was a good opener, I liked the African vibe. Delirious Night is yet another reason why Disintegration is possibly the Cure's best album, and Depeche Mode and U2 are just great. You'd think I'd get tired of The Fly after all these years, but I don't. Tori Amos and Duran Duran are both good on any playlist - these aren't the first tracks of theirs I'd pick, but they're still good. That Blondie track is my second favorite track on this list that I hadn't heard before. Great post-punk track, love it. X&Y is my least favorite Coldplay album, but Low is a good song - I found myself enjoying it more than I'd remembered. Bittersweet Symphony is a classic. Loved the Gary Numan track, another one of my previously-unheard favorites. Here, the list falls off a bit for me, before picking back up. I've been wanting to listen to more Flo & The Machine - I've heard a few tracks, but only one or two excited me at all - but I liked this one. I really enjoyed the jazzy vibe of that Garbage track. Starting with Kraftwork, the list really finishes strong. I hadn't heard any Kraftwerk yet outside of The Man-Machine, but this track didn't disappoint, and I'll probably have to listen to some more of them sometime soon - they are pioneers of the genre. The Todd Rundgren track is my favorite track on this list that I hadn't heard before. I really hadn't heard any of his stuff - I had been under the (obviously mistaken) impression that he was a punk guy, but if all of his stuff sounds like this electronic-pop-jazz mix, I'll definitely have to start listening to his back catalogue; I thoroughly enjoyed that track. The final three tracks go really well together - I obviously knew the Passengers track, but I hadn't heard the other two before; I enjoyed them, and I enjoyed the really atmospheric ending they created together for this list. Overall, great job with this list, you've added some more items to my list of music to listen to.

Halfway through the Robert Plant song, I realized was enjoying it quite a bit and didn't know who it was(while I love all of LZ, I haven't heard any of his solo stuff), and was surprised to see it was him.

Thanks for the compliments. If you enjoy Led Zeppelin, I would enthusiastically recommend Robert's work from the past decade. He had a stereotypical 80s period and a mediocre 90s output, but throughout the 2000s he delved to great effect into pastoral folk and traditional Delta Blues. The arrangements are usually subtle, allowing him to interpret the songs through his vocals. His work now sounds almost like a more sedate Led Zeppelin III.

finished your list BigSimpsonsFan. i give it an :up:

i wasn't a fan of your opening (though it did flow quite well together). i'd never heard Cirrus Minor and whilst it was pretty, i can't say it has me racing to listen to More (but how good is Cymbaline?!?!). Board Games has a great synth line (similar to the one in Swimming in the Flood by Passion Pit). Robert Plant was meh, the Stones track is awesome and i'm definitely not a White Stripes/bluesy/hard rock fan.

i was hoping inviting you would mean we got a bit of jazz on our playlists, and i'd have loved more! Deluge was terrific (helps that we are experiencing a deluge at the moment as well). as was Generique, i just wished it was longer. the end to your day playlist was good, but i'll always listen to Radiohead's Let Down over any other version.

i really didn't like that Depeche Mode song at all, i'm not sure what it was, maybe the vocals. Veil Veil Vanish had a great energy and the Fever Ray song was good (i prefer the only other Fever Ray track i've heard, Triangle Walks). Fashion through Generique was a great section, though i was a bit put off by the strength of the vocals in Mourning Air. Cure to the end was a terrific finish. for a track that shouter had heard of, Trust Me didn't seem totally obscure, it was a shame it was only two minutes long! Light that Never Goes Out is overrated imo. Bjork song was great, really fit with the gloomy conditions that are happening outside.

finished your list BigSimpsonsFan. i give it an :up:

I'm glad that I did not disappoint you, sir. I love your enthusiasm for jazz - if you like, I could definitely give you a list of my favorite jazz albums. It's not that I'm an authority or anything; I'm just always looking for a reason to talk about jazz.

And we need to resurrect that Simpsons thread over in IO.

i would definitely appreciate that. it's such an intimidating genre. this DI comp has kind of come at the worst time; with the current inclement weather i feel some moddy jazz would go down quite well.

Just finished Screwtape's playlist.

- Great choice for an opening with the Akira track. Following it with “Delirious Night” was also inspired since a transition from the opener seemed like it would be difficult.
- I love the industrial section that lasted from the start until “The Fly.” The music from that late 80s/early 90s era is some of my favorite. Even though it took a backseat to grunge, I think this movement is more revolutionary.
- Placing “Stylo” between two rockier numbers looked weird on paper but worked brilliantly in execution.
- Not a fan of Moby of Tori Amos so those two songs took me out of it a little. Plus, I don’t think they worked as well after heavier “Dead Disco.”
- The 80s throwback works really well with “Low.” It feels like it could have fit as a New Wave song from that period.
- I absolutely love Empire of the Sun. Great inclusion, especially the way it moved into The Passions.
- Bat For Lashes through The Glove was another inspired section! You also included my favorite Garbage song so big props for that. (Only good thing to come out that Bond film in my opinion.)
- I didn’t think the techno section worked too well. For me, the songs went on a little too long and felt somewhat repetitive. Plus, “Insomnia” followed by “United Colors” felt like too extreme of a drop-off to me.
- Ending with Ghost in the Shell 2 track was another awesome choice, making a nice throwback to the anime opening song. (Also,I've seen Ghost in the Shell 2 and while I enjoyed it, it's probably the most confusing thing I've ever watched. :lol:)

All together, I greatly enjoyed your list but felt it dropped off after the Bowie track. Strong finish though!

I'm glad that I did not disappoint you, sir. I love your enthusiasm for jazz - if you like, I could definitely give you a list of my favorite jazz albums. It's not that I'm an authority or anything; I'm just always looking for a reason to talk about jazz.

I would be equally interested in seeing this list. As of today, rateyourmusic claims I've only heard 18 jazz albums (not counting albums that are clearly jazz-influenced but wind up heading elsewhere), and that's just poor. Brubeck, Coltrane, Mingus, Miles, Guaraldi, Sun Ra and Eric Dolphy are the artists I'm familiar with.

jazz is an intimidating genre. doesn't help that people who are knowledgeable and fans of it tend to do their very best to keep it that way. seems like the ones i've met have been worse than those super-indie people who only like bands 20 people or less have heard of. i took a history of jazz/blues sort of overview kind of class in college, and probably came out of it knowing less about the music than i did going in.

but miles davis "so what" was playing in the deli when i went to get some lunch today. that made me happy.

i would also be interested in the iyup list of good jazz. i'm partial to big band stuff that most purists would turn their noses up at, early miles davis (well, ok, not really any era of miles davis is bad, some of the fusion and more experimental stuff loses me at times, though), just the straightforward...don't know what you'd call it. probably the stuff that was "pop jazz" before the modern version of that crap came along. can we kill kenny g? anyway. i guess before you got into all the cool bop stuff. as with any genre of music, my primitive rock n roll-based 3 chords and the truth mind cannot handle anything too experimental. free jazz makes my ears bleed.

really? Bomac is right, you are very near-sighted at times.

like most everyone is saying they don't like slipknot (i don't either, but i have a feeling i'm coming at my dislike of the band from the opposite angle that it's not hardcore enough, it's weak as hell, and there are a million other bands playing heavier, better music. slipknot are the watered-down, radio-friendly version of this. but anyway, not the issue), i haven't really ever been known to like anything that anyone has ever called "dance music." and usually things that are electronic-based turn out to be things that i hate.

but did you read the rest of the paragraph? pretty sure there was something in there about how i really enjoyed a bunch of the songs, and your electronic dance portion of the mix was...oh, how did i put it. i said it was pleasantly relaxing. THAT MEANS I ENJOYED IT.

if i'm close-minded and near-sighted for 1) trying something i normally can't stand and 2) telling everyone that i liked some of it, fine. but you've got some hell of a warped definition of those things, then. stating i'm realizing the more i hear, the less i like lcd soundsystem is close-minded? hate to be the first person to tell you this, but not everyone worships james murphy. disregarding the "more i hear part," which implies that i'm further giving the stuff a try, you're telling me that there's nothing out there that you dislike? the guy who called ska a plight on human existence, or some other such ridiculous hyperbole?

you're telling me that there's nothing out there that you dislike? the guy who called ska a plight on human existence, or some other such ridiculous hyperbole?

:wave: That was me, kthx. The only thing I regret about that post was its lack of an exclamation point.

oops. through my blind rage, i thought i was actually replying to you (LM) in the new essay i just wrote. now i see that was the cobbler reiterating mr. bomac's comment.

otherwise i would have just blown it off as a friggin' cobbler moment.

I would be equally interested in seeing this list. As of today, rateyourmusic claims I've only heard 18 jazz albums (not counting albums that are clearly jazz-influenced but wind up heading elsewhere), and that's just poor. Brubeck, Coltrane, Mingus, Miles, Guaraldi, Sun Ra and Eric Dolphy are the artists I'm familiar with.

I'd be happy to send it to you. The thing about jazz, at least in my experience, is that there are so many quality albums that came out in the 50s and 60s that it becomes almost impossible to make recommendations. If there is one person that you enjoy, it usually helps to look at the sessions that the sidemen led. For instance, if (like me) you are a fan of Miles' second quintet, then you can go to the discographies of the people in the band, such as Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Because they were writing material for Davis, their leader-albums have a similar vibe.

Alright, just listened to Reggo's list. It's easily one of the greatest mood pieces in DI history - I'm not sure it's really something you'd want to hear at most times, but it's put together very well and conveys a dark, twisted, depressive kind of vibe very well. It's not exactly suicidal black metal but it's still from a bleak sort of place that has rarely been explored in DI before.

A couple of bits didn't do it for me. The trio of Revolution 9, Empty Sounds Of Hate, and Pull/Pulk was pretty boring and I started to lose interest until Subway Song got going. And the Green Day song was out of place, not just in terms of the songs around it but in terms of the list as a whole. I don't have much else in the way of criticisms though; other songs that I didn't expect to work well, did. Please didn't stick out like I thought it might, and as much as I thought "oh dear, why one of the weakest songs from The Incident?" when I saw the list, Bonnie The Cat fit comfortably in the end. I'd have personally picked Sever or Russia On Ice, but that's minor quibbling.

All in all, a fine effort.

I haven't quite finished her list myself, almost done, but I wanted to comment on this while I was thinking about it.

I agree pretty much entirely with the first paragraph of your post, Axver. Definitely a mood piece, and an achievement in it. Since it was clearly going for one effect over the entire course, perhaps it would've been best to have cut the length a bit, as it can become a bit droning after awhile hearing the same time of music again and again (a problem people may have with my list when they get to it). For what it is this list is a success.

But I can not disagree with you more about "Revolution 9" I felt like that was truly a tying together part of the list, and without it, it wouldn't have worked to the extent that it does. Also, "Please" fit in marvelously. That was quite a shock.

The fun thing about this list for me, is that now I'm going around trying to find other songs that could/should have been on it. As I've already told Reggo in another thread, "Frankee Teardrop" by Suicide would've been an EXCELLENT addition to the list.

But I can not disagree with you more about "Revolution 9" I felt like that was truly a tying together part of the list, and without it, it wouldn't have worked to the extent that it does.

See, I thought the list had been building up a great, interesting, and involving mood, and Revolution 9 just made me switch off and tune out. Definitely the weakest moment for me, and if the list had just gone straight to Subway Song, it would have been all the better.

Also, "Please" fit in marvelously. That was quite a shock.

Although I don't think you've read me wrong, I'm worried that I worded my post badly, so to clarify re: Please, it didn't stick out like the sore thumb I thought it would, but it did stick out in the sense Ashley describes - that it fit marvellously, far better than expected.

See, I thought the list had been building up a great, interesting, and involving mood, and Revolution 9 just made me switch off and tune out. Definitely the weakest moment for me, and if the list had just gone straight to Subway Song, it would have been all the better.

Although I don't think you've read me wrong, I'm worried that I worded my post badly, so to clarify re: Please, it didn't stick out like the sore thumb I thought it would, but it did stick out in the sense Ashley describes - that it fit marvellously, far better than expected.

Agree to disagree. I find Revolution 9 so frenetic and creepy that it gave the terrified vibe Reggo wanted so perfectly.

Yeah, no I didn't read you wrong, that's what I meant as well. We good.

i need to listen to reggo's list before screwtape or tackling the new stuff, cos i've managed to make it through 20 years as a beatles fan intentionally never listening to that song.

Agree to disagree. I find Revolution 9 so frenetic and creepy that it gave the terrified vibe Reggo wanted so perfectly.

Yeah, no I didn't read you wrong, that's what I meant as well. We good.

Fair enough! I just found it tedious.

Good stuff, didn't think you had but thought I better clarify in case anybody else does.

Next list for me will be either LM or Screwtape. Wholly dependent on which finishes downloading first, which means it'll probably be Screw's list.

like most everyone is saying they don't like slipknot (i don't either, but i have a feeling i'm coming at my dislike of the band from the opposite angle that it's not hardcore enough, it's weak as hell, and there are a million other bands playing heavier, better music. slipknot are the watered-down, radio-friendly version of this. but anyway, not the issue), i haven't really ever been known to like anything that anyone has ever called "dance music." and usually things that are electronic-based turn out to be things that i hate.

but did you read the rest of the paragraph? pretty sure there was something in there about how i really enjoyed a bunch of the songs, and your electronic dance portion of the mix was...oh, how did i put it. i said it was pleasantly relaxing. THAT MEANS I ENJOYED IT.

if i'm close-minded and near-sighted for 1) trying something i normally can't stand and 2) telling everyone that i liked some of it, fine. but you've got some hell of a warped definition of those things, then. stating i'm realizing the more i hear, the less i like lcd soundsystem is close-minded? hate to be the first person to tell you this, but not everyone worships james murphy. disregarding the "more i hear part," which implies that i'm further giving the stuff a try, you're telling me that there's nothing out there that you dislike? the guy who called ska a plight on human existence, or some other such ridiculous hyperbole?

oops. through my blind rage, i thought i was actually replying to you (LM) in the new essay i just wrote. now i see that was the cobbler reiterating mr. bomac's comment.

otherwise i would have just blown it off as a friggin' cobbler moment.

haha. yeah i read all the post. finding that you enjoyed the Cut Copy song. there were songs on his list i didn't enjoy as well (though not very many). i guess, just being a big fan of electronic and dance music, a part of me gets very sad when i read "electronic dance music is pretty far up there on the list of things i hate most about the world". glad elmel's list opened your eyes a bit! i think you will truly hate half of my entry! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom