Desert Island VIII Master List, Part One - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Screwtape's Does The Metropolis Dream of Innocence?

One of the things I enjoy about all your lists is we're guaranteed some world music we might not have otherwise heard.

I love the atmosphere you created, it remind me of Watchmen. In that universe, if you walked into one of the clubs owned by Adrian Veidt, this is the mix the DJ would be playing. Something to reflect those desperate times. And maybe something to reflect the current desperate times, expressed through dark 80's pop music, where there aren't too many laughs anymore. But what do you expect? The Comedian's dead. Not sure if that's what you were going for, but that's what I got out of it.

Favourite part: The Depeche Mode-Duran Duran stretch. Absolutely fabulous. A close second is the Siouxsie and the Banshees-David Bowie stretch.

A very, very good, solid list.

P.S., for some reason I kept expecting to hear Cake's "Going The Distance". I don't know why.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #47
The Male

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
- Wasn’t a fan of the Four Tops song
That has been and always will be my jam.

Really glad to see everyone is digging my list well enough. As long as everyone has fun, my goal was accomplished. DI is too heavy-handed sometimes.

Starting with Screw's list first because I have some reading to do tonight. Seems to be the most appropriate of the available batch for such an activity.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Screwtape's Does The Metropolis Dream of Innocence?

One of the things I enjoy about all your lists is we're guaranteed some world music we might not have otherwise heard.

I love the atmosphere you created, it remind me of Watchmen. In that universe, if you walked into one of the clubs owned by Adrian Veidt, this is the mix the DJ would be playing. Something to reflect those desperate times. And maybe something to reflect the current desperate times, expressed through dark 80's pop music, where there aren't too many laughs anymore. But what do you expect? The Comedian's dead. Not sure if that's what you were going for, but that's what I got out of it.
Thanks. I have not read or seen the film adaption of Watchmen yet. I probably should now based on the comparisons. I am glad you liked the playlist.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Screw, your list was superb, I literally enjoyed it from beginning to end and it felt like the flow/cohesion was right there along with some fairly great song selection.

Biggest highlight for me was that track by The Glove, never heard anything by them, but I liked that song quite a bit.

If I had to offer any one criticism, I'd have to say I wasn't quite as blown away by the last few tracks.

Anyways, great job.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Everything looks great. Love that Screw has that Faithless song.
Oh yeah, this song was kind of awesome as well and was a bit of a surprise coming from Screw, whatever that means.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

LeMel's Lights & Music

I'm a sucker for Motown love songs, so I greatly enjoyed the first half. The list in general has a great groove and I like that you said this list was all about having fun. Nice to be able to listen to something without having to also figure out what the list's maker was going for.

This could be my distaste for hip-hop or something, but your list had a little bit of ending fatigue. Kept thinking it had made its crescendo only to find out there were more tracks to go. I would've let it fade out with Sunshine and/or Feelin' It. But that's just me.

Favourite part: The Supremes-Isaac Hayes stretch. I am a huge sucker for Motown, for real.

Nice work, Traviud.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #52
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:49 AM
So, collapse, three days later than I planned, I gave your list a spin.

Now, obviously I loved the Agalloch, Sleep, and Opeth tracks - I mean, Bleak is my favourite Opeth song, and I used it in my own first DI entry years back. Otherwise, though, you came at the metal stuff from a different angle to me, with some bands I'd never really choose to listen to ... and a couple I'd meant to get around to, like Envy. Unexpectedly I dug the Kylesa song; I've heard one of their other albums (the title escapes me right now) and didn't care for it.

I'm going to have to differ from phanan and say that I didn't really notice much in the way of awkwardly incohesive passages or glaringly bad transitions. I thought it was quite a sound first effort, and you did a good job bookending Falling Snow at both ends. The one transition that I'm stunned you made work was that Bring Me The Horizon --> The Middle East segue. When I saw that in the original post, I was all "what?!" but you pulled it off. Still, that Bring Me The Horizon song is the one track I truly disliked on the list; no surprise, as I've always said BMTH can blow me.

Biggest surprise was the Underworld track. I only know them for Underneath The Radar (though with an awareness that is not exactly representative of their output). Bird 1 killed. That song by Childs was pretty good too.

I think I liked the second part most, followed by the first and third tied, and finally the fourth part. Really good effort; expect it to be one of my favourites come the end. Nice to see a list like this in the tournament - it's been too long coming, and I'm enjoying not being the sole flagbearer for certain genres in DI.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Thanks. I have not read or seen the film adaption of Watchmen yet. I probably should now based on the comparisons. I am glad you liked the playlist.
You should! I mean, it's a dark story, but your list just goes so well with everything that happens in it, I'm a little surprised you haven't. Like, Blondie's "Atomic" mirrors Laurie's relationship with John/Dr Manhattan. I'm a nerd and could go on, but I won't. Please see the movie at least.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Was just getting ready to listen to The Glove's album and saw who was in it . No wonder I thought they sounded like The Cure. This is that band that a bunch of people have been telling me to listen to for the last couple of years. Well, I'm listening to Blue Sunshine now.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Well, I'm listening to Blue Sunshine now.
Please report on what you think of it. I have been meaning to hear that album for a long time.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Screw, your list was superb, I literally enjoyed it from beginning to end and it felt like the flow/cohesion was right there along with some fairly great song selection.

Biggest highlight for me was that track by The Glove, never heard anything by them, but I liked that song quite a bit.
Thanks. I am glad you are checking out Blue Sunshine. It is definitely a lost gem of the 80's.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Looking forward to listening to iron yuppie's list today. Just from the track list, I can tell this will be enjoyable. Full review will be posted this afternoon or tonight.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #58
45:33

Local Time: 07:49 AM
downloading lemel's list as we speak. greatly looking forward to it. FANTASTIC LCD choice.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I just finished Reggo's list. Let me just say that this one felt apocalyptic. I definitely heard the ominous undercurrents that others have commented upon, which suggests that this playlist has been highly successful in creating and sustaining a certain mood.

Here are a few highlights:

The stretch from "Revolution 9" to "Lullaby" was almost disturbingly cohesive, and I loved the inclusion of "Subway Song."

On some days, "Please" is among my top three U2 songs, and its inclusion here did an example job of highlighting a somber element to U2's music that is too often forgotten.

The Sunn O))) track developed in a hypnotic manner; I remained thoroughly interested throughout the entire sixteen minutes.

I was unfamiliar with most of the artists included here, so I was forced from my comfort zone; the experience, however, was rewarding.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Listened to the first half of iron yuppie's yesterday and the second part today.

It's never a bad thing to start off with a little M83. And the twofer of Fleet Foxes and Floyd was great - and you get bonus points for the Cirrus Minor selection. Also love the back to back of the Stones and White Stripes, and you chose a classic Elton John song. I've never been able to get into Antony & The Johnsons, but that was really the only thing I didn't care for in that section.

For the Night portion of your playlist, you have one of my all-time favorite Depeche Mode songs kicking things off. Fever Ray's fantastic cover of Mercy Street is a nice addition, and classic songs by LCD and The National never hurt. As others will tell you, I'm not much of a Bowie fan, but I respect what he does. Also don't like Björk, but you've got one of the best Smiths tunes right before it, so at least there's that. And I'd be remiss in not mentioning how you sprinkled a little jazz into your playlist quite deftly. A nice touch.

In the end, it's probably obvious that I enjoyed listening to this. Great job.