Desert Island VIII Master List, Part One - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 05:31 PM
I listened to Iron Yuppie's tonight:

Highlight: The closing four songs. Very dark and the perfect way to end it.

Favorite Aspect: I liked that it felt as though I experienced something. That’s what some of the best playlists have done. There is an emotional arc between the first track and the last. Iron Yuppie nailed it.

Other things I liked:
1. I probably should not have started with Iron Yuppie’s playlist because he really set the bar pretty high with this one. The whole thing was perfectly executed.
2. Jazz. I always like when jazz pops up in these playlists because it makes for a nice change of pace between the rock, pop, rap, etc. Specifically I love the inclusion of Miles Davis on the Night disc because most of his music is perfect for nighttime listening.
3. Continuing that last thought Depeche Mode was the perfect opener for that disc. Waiting For The Night is one of my favorite DM songs. It is so moody and slightly unsettling.
4. I also liked the cover of Mercy Street. It was a cool spin on a great song.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #17
Refugee

Going to get started with LemonMelon's because I'll have enough time to download and listen to it tonight probably. Looking forward to each of these!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:31 PM
i am so cranky right now i don't have time to sit down and listen to this stuff til i get out of work monday morning. before i do that, though, i must also finish up my stuff and send it over to the phan.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I listened to Iron Yuppie's tonight:

Highlight: The closing four songs. Very dark and the perfect way to end it.

Favorite Aspect: I liked that it felt as though I experienced something. That’s what some of the best playlists have done. There is an emotional arc between the first track and the last. Iron Yuppie nailed it.

Other things I liked:
1. I probably should not have started with Iron Yuppie’s playlist because he really set the bar pretty high with this one. The whole thing was perfectly executed.
2. Jazz. I always like when jazz pops up in these playlists because it makes for a nice change of pace between the rock, pop, rap, etc. Specifically I love the inclusion of Miles Davis on the Night disc because most of his music is perfect for nighttime listening.
3. Continuing that last thought Depeche Mode was the perfect opener for that disc. Waiting For The Night is one of my favorite DM songs. It is so moody and slightly unsettling.
4. I also liked the cover of Mercy Street. It was a cool spin on a great song.
Thanks for the kind words. I was definitely trying to capture a certain mood, so I'm glad that the playlist conveyed that to you.

"Waiting for the Night" is my favorite DM song on certain days. Actually, I love the whole of Violator in an unquantifiable way.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I think I'm going to listen to Screwtape's first. The poem reminds me of Watchmen, and since I wasn't exactly sure which one I was going to start with, that's as good a reason as any.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 09:31 AM
will be downloading these tonight/tomorrow... they look good. very very glad to see jazz on your list iYup, it may have been an ulterior motive of mine when i invited you...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
The Male

Local Time: 02:31 PM
A few comments:

1. A bit nervous that my list appears to be the one people are gravitating toward for the first listen. But that's what I get for using such a shiny cover.

2. I must say, Screw, that is one hell of a nice-looking list. Reminds me of your first couple, and I'm excited to hear it. Forgive my chronic narrow-mindedness, but whale song is a hair beyond me.

3. Reggo's list especially interests me because I want to hear that Sunn O))) song. Or anything by them, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Ha, yeah, I guarantee yours is significantly more palatable to our listeners.

I haven't listened to it yet, but off the bat, I'd balk at the hip-hop tracks being called "deep" cuts (in fact, I'd argue most of them are pretty easy choices, especially when I know you have a much more extensive knowledge of hip-hop than you're letting on here). Then again, this is a similar complaint you had with my last list, so who am I to say?

Either way, yours will be the first list I start up tomorrow, once I'm back at my computer, and I'm excited for it.
Hey, what can I say, I'm in love with every last one of those songs. I could have gone much deeper, but to what end? And besides, this is Interference, the land of U2, bands that sound like something U2 crapped out, and bands that opened for U2. At least I didn't use the single version of Rapper's Delight and Ice Ice baby.

The Motown section is what I'm really proud of. It took me ages to work through all of the tracks from that era that I love, and the result is something I'll probably listen to separate from the rest of the list for many years to come. I love that sound, and I bet I could have made an entire list out of it had I really set my mind to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
LemonMelon, I very nearly included the Hercules and LCD Soundsystem songs that you have on yours. I'm glad that your playlist is a party, because, as I think about it, mine gets really heavy toward the end.
You picked the better LCD Soundsystem song anyway.

Blind is always the song from the record that sticks with me, so that's why I chose it. Maybe hearing something else will ignite my interest and I'll give it another spin. It's been a couple of years now.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Reggo

Highlight: I could say the first ten songs but I think I’ll narrow it down to the Tori Amos-Passengers-Celtic Frost stretch. It has the feel of a gothic horror film.

Favorite Aspect: If the intention was to create a feeling of insanity then the playlist did it better than I imagine any could. There was a nightmarish quality throughout it and I was surprised by how dark it was. It was very well done.

Other things I liked:
1. I loved the fearlessness to actually make a playlist like this and stick with the mood the whole way through.
2. I liked that Steve Wilson was the first sustained singing we hear on the place. He has the perfect combination of melancholy and otherworldliness that defines the playlist as a whole.
3. I liked the Worlock track with the clips of Helter Skelter after the fantastic Siouxsie & The Banshees cover of that track.
4. The string version of Unforgettable Fire. God do I love that song and the string version brought the gorgeous qualities of the original track.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Hey, what can I say, I'm in love with every last one of those songs. I could have gone much deeper, but to what end? And besides, this is Interference, the land of U2, bands that sound like something U2 crapped out, and bands that opened for U2. At least I didn't use the single version of Rapper's Delight and Ice Ice baby.

The Motown section is what I'm really proud of. It took me ages to work through all of the tracks from that era that I love, and the result is something I'll probably listen to separate from the rest of the list for many years to come. I love that sound, and I bet I could have made an entire list out of it had I really set my mind to it.
Ok, you get points for not using "Rapper's Delight" or "Ice Ice Baby."

Now that I've finally given your list a listen, I can give it a more fair assessment. I loved the soul/funk feel throughout; it gave the list a perfect vibe. I also liked the lounge vibe at the end a lot. And, I think you're right to be proud of that Motown section. It's nothing short of exceptional.

Plus, you used "Deadbeat Summer," which will also make an appearance on my list.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

LemonMelon
Highlight: The stretch of De La Soul-Todd Rundgren-Wilson Pickett-The Supremes. It was the most enjoyable stretch in a very fun playlist.

Favorite Aspect: It was a fun playlist which I am sure will be mentioned a lot by others. I think my favorite aspect is how naturally the playlist moved from genre to genre.

Other things I liked:
1. I liked the stretch of Madonna-Gorillaz-Crystal Castles. I am not even a Madonna fan but in context of the playlist thought it was perfect before Dare.
2. I loved the Hercules and Love Affair track. It is my favorite song discovery of the playlists so far.
3. The playlist made me curious about Annie and Neon Neon as well.
4. The Neon Indian track was cool. The sampling of Todd Rundgren's Izzat Love? was a neat surprise when the track started.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Listening to collapse's playlist today. I'm about halfway through, and you get major props for bringing something completely unique to this game. Many of these songs I haven't heard before, and while I haven't liked all of them, it's always cool to unearth things you didn't know existed that sound great. I particularly like the Kylesa song, and have also enjoyed the instrumentals you've included. Along with songs I already know, this has been a good listen so far.

It's been a bit choppy in places, however, and that is obviously because the songs get cut from the album they come from. If you really want to use those particular songs and they aren't available in any other form, you can't do much about it, but it does make the playlist lack cohesion in places.

Hope to listen to the rest later today.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I just finished listening to LemonMelon's list. He stated in the preamble that he aimed to use an eclectic group of songs to convey a unified feel, and I feel that the list thoroughly accomplished this.

The highlight for me was the first third. There are few better ways to start a party than with "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough," and "Walk on By" was a revelation. "Hey Ladies" also showed me a side of The Beastie Boys with which I was not at all familiar. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I'll be listening to Screwtape's mix at some point today.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Listening to collapse's playlist today. I'm about halfway through, and you get major props for bringing something completely unique to this game. Many of these songs I haven't heard before, and while I haven't liked all of them, it's always cool to unearth things you didn't know existed that sound great. I particularly like the Kylesa song, and have also enjoyed the instrumentals you've included. Along with songs I already know, this has been a good listen so far.

It's been a bit choppy in places, however, and that is obviously because the songs get cut from the album they come from. If you really want to use those particular songs and they aren't available in any other form, you can't do much about it, but it does make the playlist lack cohesion in places.

Hope to listen to the rest later today.
thanks for the comments, and for being open-minded! yeah, i kinda picked the songs first without any thought to cohesion... i just picked songs i like/have been listening to lately. then i tried to organize them into something coherent. a lot of the transitions i was proud of, but a lot were just sort of "make it work" i already was thinking of changes after i submitted mine... i'm such a perfectionist.

i'm starting with LemonMelon's because i'm in the mood to party. the first section should be the most interesting because it's the least like what i listen to, and new music is always fun. i'm sure i'll dig the rest, especially the dance/electronica. kinda wish i'd put more dance on mine, actually. nice to see so much hip-hop too!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

The last two sections of collapse's playlist were very good, even stronger than the first two, and the songs flowed much better. I hadn't heard that Atlantis song before; I noticed you lifted it from a Silent Ballet collection, so that's gotta count for something.

So all in all, a great DI debut. Looking forward to more of your contributions down the line.