Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Here's the fourth and final installment of DI8. Again, as Mr. V had to drop out unexpectantly, we only have three playlists here.

Our current timeline is as follows:

Ranking submissions due: End of day, March 1 (a full two months since listening began)
Results Thread: Wednesday, March 2, approximately 10pm EST

Cute Irish Bono

melodyofsounds.jpg

The Melody Of Sounds, Part 1

1. Modern English - "16 Days" - Life In The Gladhouse 1980-1984: The Best Of Modern English (4:37)
2. New Order – "Crystal" – Get Ready (6:51)
3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – "Love Burns" – B.R.M.C. (4:05)
4. The Auteurs – "Bailed Out" - New Wave (3:44)
5. Joy Division – "Atmosphere" – The Best Of Joy Division (4:10)
6. Blur – "Trouble in the Message Centre" – Parklife (4:10)
7. At the Drive-In – "Cosmonaut" – Relationship of Command (3:24)
8. The Clash – "London Calling" – London Calling (3:20)
9. Aztec Camera – "How It Is" – Stray (4:00)
10. U2 – "God Part II" – Rattle And Rum (3:15)
11. INXS – "Devil Inside" – Kick (5:11)
12. Tears For Fears – "Woman In Chains" - Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) (6:29)
13. The Talking Heads – "Heaven (Live)" – Stop Making Sense (3:41)
14. Peter Gabriel – "Shock The Monkey" - Shaking The Tree: 16 Golden Greats (3:58)
15. The Who – "Love Reign O’ver Me" - The Ultimate Collection (5:51)

Time: 1hr and 6 minutes

The Melody Of Sounds, Part 2

1. The Kinks – "Big Sky" - The Village Green Preservation Society (2:53)
2. Velvet Underground – "After Hours" - Live At Max's Kansas City (2:50)
3. The Rolling Stones – "Loving Cup" - Exile On Main Street (4:24)
4. Bruce Springsteen – "Thunder Road" – Born to Run (4:47)
5. Meat Loaf – "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" – Bat Out Of Hell (8:30)
6. Manfred Mann's Earth Band – "Blinded By the Light" - The Best of Manfred Mann's Earth Band (7:07)
7. Led Zeppelin – "Ramble On" - Led Zeppelin II (4:24)
8. Incubus – "Pardon Me" – Make Yourself (3:44)
9. Jimmy Eat World – "Fiffteen" – Static Prevails (3:34)
10. Sleeping At Last – "Night Must End" – Ghosts (3:27)
11. Kut U Up – "S&M Dens" – Pulled Over… (4:20)
12. The Bigger Lovers – "Half Richard’s" – Honey In The Hive (4:13)
13. Arcade Fire – "Headlights Look Like Diamonds" – Arcade Fire (EP) (4:26)
14. The National – "Terrible Love" – High Violet (4:40)
15. Spoon – "Got Nuffin’" – Transference (3:59)
16. White Lies – "Farewell to the Underground" – To Lose My Life (4:17)
17. Empire of the Sun – "Walking On a Dream" – Walking On a Dream (3:18)
18. MGMT – "Of Moons, Birds & Monsters" – Oracular Spectacular (4:47)
19. The Postal Service – "The District Sleeps Alone" – Give Up (4:44)
20. Ben Folds – "Zak And Sara" – Rockin’ the Suburbs (3:11)
21. Guster – "Parachute" – Parachute (5:12)

Time: 1 hr and 32 mins

Axver

Out With The Old, In With The Nucleus

This list has one simple theme: it is made exclusively featuring bands I have never used in DI before.* Obviously that presents challenges you don't normally get when making a DI list, and it certainly represents a deviation from the usual "Axver DI List". I did not make this list with any other intended story or message, preferring to leave that up to the listener. I find it far more interesting what people get out of music than what any tracklist compiler intends they get out of it.

*Or thought I hadn't. I only realised two artists were repeats after my list was essentially finalised and their spots were well cemented. I used The Go-Betweens in DI II, i.e. ages ago, so I figured I'd let it slide. I used Headless Chickens last DI, an inexcusable oversight, but since their representation is via a remix, I decided to keep it.

1. The Chameleons - "Don't Fall" - Script Of The Bridge (4:06)
2. Amesoeurs - "Les Ruches Malades" - Amesoeurs (4:17)
3. Swervedriver - "Last Train To Satansville" - Mezcal Head (6:45)
4. Whipping Boy - "Users" - Heartworm (3:53)
5. Tamaryn - "The Waves" - The Waves (5:07)
6. Soundpool - "Mirrors In Your Eyes" - Mirrors In Your Eyes (4:29)
7. Blue Hawaii - "Dream Electrixra" - Blooming Summer (2:47)
8. The Depreciation Guild - "My Chariot" - Spirit Youth (4:44)
9. Built To Spill - "Else" - Keep It Like A Secret (4:09)
10. Cloud Control - "My Fear #2" - Bliss Release (3:44)
11. The Go-Betweens - "Was There Anything I Could Do?" - Bellavista Terrace: The Best Of The Go-Betweens (3:08)
12. The Paints Of Being Pure At Heart - "Stay Alive" - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart (4:56)
13. The Church - "Electric Lash" - Seance (4:25)
14. Adorable - "Sunshine Smile" - Against Perfection (5:04)
15. Les Discrets - "L'échapée" - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées (4:04)
16. Crocodiles - "Mirrors" - Sleep Forever (5:32)
17. Hüsker Dü - "Girl Who Lives On Heaven Hill" - New Day Rising (3:07)
18. Love Of Diagrams - "Static Information" - Nowhere Forever (4:13)
19. A Place To Bury Strangers - "Don't Think Lover" - A Place To Bury Strangers (3:25)
20. Ceremony - "Marianne" - Rocket Fire (4:42)
21. Maybeshewill - "How To Have Sex With A Ghost" - Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony (3:29)
22. Kyuss - "Demon Cleaner" - Welcome To Sky Valley (5:19)
23. Beaches - "Horizon" - Beaches (4:28)
24. Seja - "I'll Get To You" - We Have Secrets But Nobody Cares (3;14)
25. Memoryhouse - "To The Lighthouse" - The Years (3:25)
26. Salmonella Dub - "Longtime" - One Drop East (6:46)
27. Neon Indian - "Psychic Chasms" - Psychic Chasms (4:07)
28. Toro Y Moi - "Blessa" - Causers Of This (2:44)
29. Washed Out - "Feel It All Around" - Life Of Leisure (3:16)
30. Headless Chickens - "Cruise Control (Eskimos In Egypt Mix)" - Cruise Control (3:49)
31. Manic Street Preachers - "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours (4:51)
32. Film School - "Heart Full Of Pentagons" - Fission (4:16)
33. Alpine - "Tough Skin" - Zurich (3:07)
34. Sugar Army - "No Need For Lovers" - The Parallels Amongst Ourselves (3;55)
35. Surfer Blood - "Anchorage" - Astro Coast (6:23)
36. These New Puritans - "White Chords" - Hidden (3:42)
37. Silversun Pickups - "Common Reactor" - Carnavas (6:01)

Total runtime: 2:39:16

the tourist

A Forest, A City

This is my first playlist that isn't broken up into sections. I feel it's a full circle and can loop from the last song back to the first song, so it doesn't really matter where you start as long as the order is followed, but for the sake of numbering, I chose a beginning and an end. I hope you enjoy.

01. J. Tillman – “All You See” – Vacilando Territory Blues (0:48)
02. My Morning Jacket – “It Beats 4 U” – Z (3:47)
03. The Black Keys – “Too Afraid To Love You” – Brothers (3:25)
04. The Bees – “I Love You” – Free The Bees (4:36)
05. Arctic Monkeys – “Baby I’m Yours” – Leave Before The Lights Come On [Single] (2:41)
06. The Flaming Lips – “Buggin’” – The Soft Bulletin 5.1 (3:22)
07. Animal Collective – “Daily Routine” – Merriweather Post Pavilion (5:46)
08. The Beach Boys – “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” – Pet Sounds [40th Anniversary Stereo] (3:21)
09. Starflyer 59 – “Things Like This Help Me” – Leave Here A Stranger (4:58)
10. The Stone Roses – “She Bangs The Drums” – The Stone Roses [20th Anniversary] (3:52)
11. The Fresh & Onlys – “Waterfall” – Play It Strange (3:12)
12. The National – “Abel” – Alligator (3:37)
13. Gosling – “The Glass Is Empty” – Here Is… (3:04)
14. Pixies – “Tame” – Doolittle (1:56)
15. The Hives – “The Hives Declare Guerre Nucleaire” – Veni Vidi Vicious (1:35)
16. Girls – “Lust For Life” – Album (2:25)
17. Arcade Fire – “We Used To Wait” – The Suburbs (5:01)
18. Deerhunter – “Helicopter” – Halcyon Digest (4:58)
19. Tame Impala – “Alter Ego” – Innerspeaker (4:48)
20. The Morning Benders – “Excuses” – Big Echo (5:17)
21. Gorillaz – “Empire Ants (ft. Little Dragon)” – Plastic Beach (4:44)
22. Cut Copy – “Lights & Music (Radio Edit)” – Lights & Music [Single] (3:37)
23. Twin Shadow – “I Can’t Wait” – Forget (3:53)
24. Phoenix – “Fences” – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (3:45)
25. Broken Bells – “The Ghost Inside” – Broken Bells (3:19)
26. Cee-Lo Green – “Fuck You” – The Lady Killer (3:43)
27. Jay-Z – “Empire State Of Mind (ft. Alicia Keys)” – The Blueprint 3 (4:37)
28. Rihanna – “Umbrella (ft. Jay-Z)” – Good Girl Gone Bad (4:36)
29. Kanye West – “All Of The Lights (Interlude)” – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (1:02)
30. Kanye West – “All Of The Lights” – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (5:00)
31. Lady Gaga – “Bad Romance” – The Fame Monster (4:55)
32. Passion Pit – “Little Secrets” – Manners (3:59)
33. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Heads Will Roll” – It’s Blitz! (3:42)
34. The Raveonettes – “Young & Beautiful” – Beauty Dies [EP] (3:06)
35. Viva Voce – “Red Letter Day” – Rose City (3:50)
36. The Last Shadow Puppets – “My Mistakes Were Made For You” – The Age Of The Understatement (3:05)
37. David Bazan – “Lost My Shape” – Curse Your Branches (3:45)
38. Band Of Horses – “Blue Beard” – Infinite Arms (3:22)
39. Fleet Foxes – “Mykonos” – Sun Giant [EP] (4:35)
40. The Beatles – “Across The Universe” – Let It Be… Naked (3:38)

Total Time: 2:28:24

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these look absolutely amazing. Can't wait to give them all a listen!

either axver's link is broken or sendspace is being a little bitch. i keep getting the not available and has been removed by the user message when i try to download it.

either axver's link is broken or sendspace is being a little bitch. i keep getting the not available and has been removed by the user message when i try to download it.

I have it, IWB. I'll send it to you tonight.

Goddamn. That fucker takes eight hours to upload on my shitty Intarwebz too. :crack:

Just an FYI to everyone, in CIB's playlist, for some reason when I was copying and pasting, songs 4 and 5 got put together on the same line. The Joy Division song is definitely supposed to be there as song 5.

I approve of everything involving Axver's list, especially the title.

Hahaha!! Did you see that jerk? He dropped his notes! Hahahaha!!! HAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Ax's list, for anyone who was struggling with sendspace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cute Irish Bono
Highlight: 16 Days with Crystal.

Favorite Aspect: There were a lot of good songs on the playlist. I have to say though that it had a shuffle quality to it with odd combinations like Devil Inside and Woman In Chains or Heaven and Shock The Monkey.

Other Things I liked:
1. I liked the White Lies song.
2. You had some great artists on the playlist.

You have a lot of good songs and artists but the order is very jarring.

For this group, I started off with CIB's list.

Screwtape beat me to it, but I had the same thoughts. This playlist has a lot of songs that I really like, but the sequencing could have been better in places. Screw put up a good example - I'd also use Ramble On and Pardon Me - I don't think the songs went together very well. I will say that the beginning was smooth, however; I was surprised that New Order into BRMC made for a good coupling.

But, apart from the transitions, the songs themselves are mostly excellent. Lots of classics and deep cuts throughout, which I enjoyed. Woman In Chains is one of my favorite TFF cuts, and you have Guster on here, a band I've always liked. Loving Cup is pure Stones. Shock The Monkey is another favorite, although you used the single version, which pales in comparison to the regular album one.

Not being a big fan of Ben Folds, I hadn't heard that Zak & Sara song before but liked it; I can't say the same for that Kut U Up track though.

A very strong playlist when it comes to the songs used. Again, I like a major portion that's included. Tightening up the sequencing would have made this a strong possibility for the top spot, but as it is, it'll still get ranked fairly decently.

I just sent the new upload link to everyone on the distro list. If I missed anyone, let me know.

Axver
Highlight: Like Phanan’s playlist this felt like a unified work so no highlight. You and Phanan are basically locks for my top five going into every game at this point and you did not disappoint. Amazing job all around.

Favorite Aspect: Pretty much everything I said above. It was an enjoyable listen from start to finish. After all the DI’s you keep coming up with something fresh.

Other Things I Liked:
1. Major props for using only two previous artists in a playlist of thirty-seven songs.

Hey, thanks for the really kind words, Screwtape! Glad you enjoyed the list.

Other Things I Liked:
1. Major props for using only two previous artists in a playlist of thirty-seven songs.

Heh, I'm still really annoyed about this. The original couple of drafts had no repeats at all, and I don't know what total brain fail I had that caused those two to creep in later. By the time I realised, I was just a bit too attached to them in the list ...

I had skipped over Axver and started the tourist's playlist before I received the new link, so I'll get to Axver's this weekend.

For the tourist:

Wasn't too keen on the first few songs, but things started to pick up with Animal Collective, and I loved how you followed it with The Beach Boys - a natural pairing. After that, many great songs, including Stone Roses, National, AF, Pixies, etc. along with others that were ok, but not normally ones I'd listen to. The radio edit of Lights & Music really cuts into the song too much; I would've used the regular single version instead (the one on LM's list).

My favorite stretch was probably Gorillaz all the way through to Yeah Yeah Yeahs - that was an excellent and solid block of killer tunes. Also liked the ending with BOH, Fleet Foxes, and The Beatles.

A very good playlist by you, as usual. There were probably a few more songs on here that I didn't like, when comparing to your last playlist which ranked quite high for me, but still a very solid entry.

Tourist
Highlight: The stretch of The Raveonettes-Viva Voce- The Last Shadow Puppets, though several parts could just as easily have been the highlight.

Favorite Aspect: Great playlist. My favorite aspect was exactly what you talk about in your paragraph. It flows very well and it does feel like a loop that could be started at any place.

Other Things I Liked:
1. The opening three tracks of the playlist.
2. The stretch of Twin Shadow-Phoenix-Broken Bells.
3. The duo of Gorillaz and Cut Copy.

And that’s it. Great playlists everyone! This was probably the best overall DI yet. It made the ranking an absolute nightmare. I cannot imagine how close the final results will be. :up:

I listened to lists from The Tourist and Axver over the last few days.

I'll begin with one of my favorite forum names, The Tourist. This was a consistently engaging list with a fluid, coherent feel. Some of the transitions were silky-smooth - I'm thinking especially of My Morning Jacket into The Black Keys here. I enjoyed the gradual progression of genre, and a few of my absolute favorite tracks from 2010 - most notably "We Used to Wait" and "Helicopter" - turned up as well. I should also note that the "Naked" version of "Across the Universe" is arguably my favorite Beatles song. The arrangement brings the strength of the writing to the fore, and those lyrics may be the finest ever committed to a rock song. Needless to say, I liked this one.

Now for Axver. I went into this one very curious, as most of his posts in this forum regard groups with which I am completely unfamiliar. This list, however, was both diverse and stunningly coherent. Like phanan's list, the flow in this one was so natural that one would think it were a proper studio album. Though the genres and styles changed throughout the list, the general mood and tempo remained remarkably consistent. Chameleon, Tamaryn, and Washed Out contributed my favorite tracks; the third of these was an especially welcome track, as my girlfriend, who had heard it in Portlandia, has been asking me to identify it. Although the rankings are going to be nearly impossible, I trust that this will place near the top for me, as will that of The Tourist.

CIB's playlist:

- “16 Days” was an excellent opener. I’ve always been a fan of those slow-building intros where there’s some non-musical audio before the band kicks in.
- The transition from New Order to B.R.M.C. was flawless. Felt like they fit naturally right next to each other.
- Never really been a fan of most Joy Division, except for “Love Will Tear Us Apart.” This song didn’t change my mind sadly. I also felt it segued badly into the Blur song, which I did enjoy.
- The section from “God Part II” until the end of the first half worked really well. Each song sort of introduced the next without sounding too similar in style. Wonderful way to end this half, especially with the always epic “Love Reign O’er Me.”
- Although the Kinks started part 2, I felt it would fit perfectly alongside many tracks from the first half. Yet, it also stood well on its own as an opener.
- I think the Velvet Underground song broke the flow a little, due to it being a live track and because I felt that “Loving Cup” would have been a much better follower for “Big Sky.”
- Springsteen and Meat Loaf worked really well right next to each other, though I definitely preferred “Thunder Road.” Not much of a Meat Loaf fan.
- I really enjoyed the segment from “Ramble On” through “Night Must End” far more than I thought I would. Never heard anything by Sleeping At Last but they were pretty good!
- I think Arcade Fire and The National back to back was my favorite part of the playlist, mainly because I just love both of those bands immensely.
- Really liked the White Lies and Empire of the Sun songs! Following the MGMT was a great move as well.
- Loved the ending duo of Ben Folds and Guster.

All in all, this has been one of my favorite playlists of the tournament. Full of songs I either loved before or wound up liking thanks to this list. Awesome job! :up:

Next up, Axver's list. Looking forward to it!

Thanks to Phanan, Joey, and Screwtape for giving my list a fair trial! I am surprised to see that Phanan and Screwtape thought the flow was off a lot and sounded like a shuffle. I know some parts weren't great. I reworked these playlists many times, went to music sites to see what artists were compatable with each other and thought the flow was at least decent. I purposley didn't follow the "status quo" of Coldplay always follows U2. I tried something different. But I will take your comments into consideration and I'll see what I can do better next time. So, thank you. :)

I can't say the same for that Kut U Up track though.

A very strong playlist when it comes to the songs used. Again, I like a major portion that's included. Tightening up the sequencing would have made this a strong possibility for the top spot, but as it is, it'll still get ranked fairly decently.

Kut U UP, not your thing? The loud "mofo" chorus is an aquired taste. lol. Did you like my Bigger Lovers choice better compared to last time? Did you like that Sleeping at Last track?

I can't believe you actually think my playlist is "worthy" of being a top spot if the flow was better. It feels good to know people enjoy the deep cuts as well as the classic ones. Thanks again! :)

CIB's playlist:

- “16 Days” was an excellent opener. I’ve always been a fan of those slow-building intros where there’s some non-musical audio before the band kicks in.
- The transition from New Order to B.R.M.C. was flawless. Felt like they fit naturally right next to each other.
- Never heard anything by Sleeping At Last but they were pretty good!
- I think Arcade Fire and The National back to back was my favorite part of the playlist, mainly because I just love both of those bands immensely.
- Really liked the White Lies and Empire of the Sun songs! Following the MGMT was a great move as well.
- Loved the ending duo of Ben Folds and Guster.

All in all, this has been one of my favorite playlists of the tournament. Full of songs I either loved before or wound up liking thanks to this list. Awesome job! :up:

Sleeping at Last is an amazing band. Did you like the Kut U Up or the Bigger Lovers track?

Yes, my favorite transitions were the Modern English song to the New Order to the BRMC. It doesn't look like it would work on paper but it does! I am happy you enjoyed it! :)

Axver's Playlist:

- The entire playlist was a very cohesive piece. I felt all the tracks, whether I liked them or not, fit together.
- Thought “Don’t Fall” made for a good opening. Hadn’t heard anything by the Chameleons before but I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a louder Joy Division or to be more modern, similar to the Horrors.
- I’ve been meaning to check out Tamaryn so I was excited to see her on your list. I really enjoyed the song and will be listening to more by her. It also segued well into Soundpool.
- In fact, that early trilogy of female singers was a very awesome segment that I was a big fan of. All three of those songs are great.
- Loved the duo of The Go-Betweens and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Big fan of the second band, especially.
- I’ve never really been a fan of The Church and this track sadly didn’t change my mind. Didn’t really enjoy the Adorable song either.
- I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with Crocodiles but this song was pretty enjoyable. I also liked the Ramones feel of the Husker Du track.
- Although both A Place To Bury Strangers and Ceremony had a heavy, fuzzed-out feel, I thought the latter was much better. The former didn’t do much for me, although they did work well together.
- I really like the chilled-out feel from Seja to Salmonella Dub, with “To The Lighthouse” being my favorite of the three.
- Manic Street Preachers and Film School worked wonderfully back-to-back. Great picks.
- “Common Reactor” was an excellent choice to close. One of the most underrated Silversun Pickups songs, in my opinion

All in all, a really well-done playlist! Some of the best cohesion I've seen this round.

Back
Top Bottom