Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Four - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Cute Irish Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,979
Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Well, I've heard songs by almost all of the artists you used, so it was familiar territory. I guess a little too familiar cause I felt a little like I was listening to my local classic rock station or my own iPod up through Led Zeppelin. That's not a bad thing at all, cause I love Talking Heads and Modern English and INXS and stuff, but I felt like nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention. But there weren't any songs that I disliked either.

Does that help?

And the "live" album is my idea Though I've yet to pull it off...
Thanks, that helps to clear things up for me. Most people haven't heard Modern English's "16 Days" prior to my list. That's cool how you beat me to it! Did you like The Auteurs, Kut U Up, or Bigger Lovers tracks?
__________________

__________________
Cute Irish Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,990
Local Time: 12:00 AM
The Auteurs track worked well with Joy Division and New Order, perfect spot for it. The other two, I wish I could give you an opinion on them. This is going to sound worse than I mean it to, but I can't really remember how they went. I'll give them another listen later tonight and let you know.
__________________

__________________
Reggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Cute Irish Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,979
Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
The Auteurs track worked well with Joy Division and New Order, perfect spot for it. The other two, I wish I could give you an opinion on them. This is going to sound worse than I mean it to, but I can't really remember how they went. I'll give them another listen later tonight and let you know.
Thanks and let me know.
__________________
Cute Irish Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,955
Local Time: 10:00 PM
Just FYI, I'm going to post my thoughts on each playlist after the results thread. I'm nearly done listening and these lists overall are pretty great! I am, however, interested in seeing how many people turn in rankings as my list has only been downloaded in full 8 times.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Cute Irish Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,979
Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Well, I've heard songs by almost all of the artists you used, so it was familiar territory. I guess a little too familiar cause I felt a little like I was listening to my local classic rock station or my own iPod up through Led Zeppelin. That's not a bad thing at all, cause I love Talking Heads and Modern English and INXS and stuff, but I felt like nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention.
Reggo, one more quick question. How could you find "16 days" average just curious? "I Will Melt With You" is very average but nothing else from Modern English, in my opinion. I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Or maybe you said average because you have heard the song before and if you have, where? I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Thanks.
__________________
Cute Irish Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,990
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Just FYI, I'm going to post my thoughts on each playlist after the results thread. I'm nearly done listening and these lists overall are pretty great! I am, however, interested in seeing how many people turn in rankings as my list has only been downloaded in full 8 times.
As of tonight, that'll be nine. I'm a slacker.
__________________
Reggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,990
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Reggo, one more quick question. How could you find "16 days" average just curious? "I Will Melt With You" is very average but nothing else from Modern English, in my opinion. I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Or maybe you said average because you have heard the song before and if you have, where? I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Thanks.
I haven't heard the song before, but 80's pop/rock isn't my favorite type of music and, like gangsta rap, it all sounds kind of the same to me. I couldn't tell you the difference between Duran Duran, Midnight Oil, or Crowded House. And since there were a bunch of lists this time that had that type of music on them, it was a little generic to me.
__________________
Reggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Cute Irish Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,979
Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
I haven't heard the song before, but 80's pop/rock isn't my favorite type of music and, like gangsta rap, it all sounds kind of the same to me. I couldn't tell you the difference between Duran Duran, Midnight Oil, or Crowded House. And since there were a bunch of lists this time that had that type of music on them, it was a little generic to me.
Thanks, that explains a lot to me. And that's probably why you weren't crazy about my list either because I had many 80's songs. I am sucker for the 80's but I understand. Did you listen to the songs from Bigger Lovers and Kut U Up yet? Sorry to be a pest but I think it gives my playlist justice to listen to those other songs and know how you feel about the rare songs I included.
__________________
Cute Irish Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict
 
Reggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,990
Local Time: 12:00 AM
Look, it's DI. The tastes of the people who play this game are so wide, there's no way for you to please everyone. And really, nor should you try. DI is about making a list of music you love and find interesting that you want to share with the other people playing. For instance, I thought it'd be fun to do a horror theme. Did I think anyone would fall in love with it? Hell, no. I expected everyone to hate it, I just thought it'd be fun to try to scare the hell out of people with some spooky, disturbing music. Lots of people didn't like mine. I'm okay with that. And if someone doesn't like it, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. When you get negative feedback, you take it as constructive criticism for next time to make something better. I'm just trying to be friendly and I don't like being interrogated about liking a playlist or not. It's not going to change my mind about my rankings, which are due tonight and I have one more list to go. I'm sorry, your list wasn't my thing, and I've explained why and I'm going to leave it at that.
__________________
Reggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Cute Irish Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,979
Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Look, it's DI. The tastes of the people who play this game are so wide, there's no way for you to please everyone. And really, nor should you try. DI is about making a list of music you love and find interesting that you want to share with the other people playing. For instance, I thought it'd be fun to do a horror theme. Did I think anyone would fall in love with it? Hell, no. I expected everyone to hate it, I just thought it'd be fun to try to scare the hell out of people with some spooky, disturbing music. Lots of people didn't like mine. I'm okay with that. And if someone doesn't like it, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. When you get negative feedback, you take it as constructive criticism for next time to make something better. I'm just trying to be friendly and I don't like being interrogated about liking a playlist or not. It's not going to change my mind about my rankings, which are due tonight and I have one more list to go. I'm sorry, your list wasn't my thing, and I've explained why and I'm going to leave it at that.
You are right. Sorry, I will leave it at that.
__________________
Cute Irish Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #56
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,019
Local Time: 05:00 PM
i'll post my thoughts on Ashley, Andrew, Andre and CIB's lists shortly, but i've gotta send the rankings in for now! but rest assured i will provide reviews! i've found something to like in all!
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #57
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,006
Local Time: 05:00 PM
I've just finished my DI listening with the tourist's list. Got to be honest Andrew and say that although your sequencing was impeccable as usual (and helped nudge your list ahead of a couple of others in my rankings), the list didn't leave much of a mark on me. Lots of choices that just aren't my style, though by and large I didn't outright dislike them either. I'd managed to avoid that Cee-Lo Green song until now, and as usual I don't get what all the hype was all about, and including Umbrella is almost unforgiveable. With that out of the way, my favourite passage was that fron the Stone Roses to around about Girls; these competitions always remind me that I should give a Stone Roses album a proper spin. I think this was a solid list, but below your best.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 01:00 AM
9 rankings in so far - keep 'em coming...

I'd like to have all by the time I wake up in the morning, if possible. So that would be within the next 12 hours.

I'm concerned that I haven't heard or seen collapse and uv92 around. If anyone knows them, give 'em a shout that I need their rankings by tomorrow morning or else I'll have to remove their lists.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,060
Local Time: 01:00 AM
And cobbler, EST is Eastern Standard Time.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #60
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,019
Local Time: 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan
And cobbler, EST is Eastern Standard Time.
That's just bait for the "friggin' cobbler"ers
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com