Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Four - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Well, I've heard songs by almost all of the artists you used, so it was familiar territory. I guess a little too familiar cause I felt a little like I was listening to my local classic rock station or my own iPod up through Led Zeppelin. That's not a bad thing at all, cause I love Talking Heads and Modern English and INXS and stuff, but I felt like nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention. But there weren't any songs that I disliked either.

Does that help?

And the "live" album is my idea Though I've yet to pull it off...
Thanks, that helps to clear things up for me. Most people haven't heard Modern English's "16 Days" prior to my list. That's cool how you beat me to it! Did you like The Auteurs, Kut U Up, or Bigger Lovers tracks?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 AM
The Auteurs track worked well with Joy Division and New Order, perfect spot for it. The other two, I wish I could give you an opinion on them. This is going to sound worse than I mean it to, but I can't really remember how they went. I'll give them another listen later tonight and let you know.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
The Auteurs track worked well with Joy Division and New Order, perfect spot for it. The other two, I wish I could give you an opinion on them. This is going to sound worse than I mean it to, but I can't really remember how they went. I'll give them another listen later tonight and let you know.
Thanks and let me know.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Just FYI, I'm going to post my thoughts on each playlist after the results thread. I'm nearly done listening and these lists overall are pretty great! I am, however, interested in seeing how many people turn in rankings as my list has only been downloaded in full 8 times.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Well, I've heard songs by almost all of the artists you used, so it was familiar territory. I guess a little too familiar cause I felt a little like I was listening to my local classic rock station or my own iPod up through Led Zeppelin. That's not a bad thing at all, cause I love Talking Heads and Modern English and INXS and stuff, but I felt like nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention.
Reggo, one more quick question. How could you find "16 days" average just curious? "I Will Melt With You" is very average but nothing else from Modern English, in my opinion. I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Or maybe you said average because you have heard the song before and if you have, where? I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Just FYI, I'm going to post my thoughts on each playlist after the results thread. I'm nearly done listening and these lists overall are pretty great! I am, however, interested in seeing how many people turn in rankings as my list has only been downloaded in full 8 times.
As of tonight, that'll be nine. I'm a slacker.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Reggo, one more quick question. How could you find "16 days" average just curious? "I Will Melt With You" is very average but nothing else from Modern English, in my opinion. I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Or maybe you said average because you have heard the song before and if you have, where? I am just curious, Reggo, that's all. Thanks.
I haven't heard the song before, but 80's pop/rock isn't my favorite type of music and, like gangsta rap, it all sounds kind of the same to me. I couldn't tell you the difference between Duran Duran, Midnight Oil, or Crowded House. And since there were a bunch of lists this time that had that type of music on them, it was a little generic to me.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I haven't heard the song before, but 80's pop/rock isn't my favorite type of music and, like gangsta rap, it all sounds kind of the same to me. I couldn't tell you the difference between Duran Duran, Midnight Oil, or Crowded House. And since there were a bunch of lists this time that had that type of music on them, it was a little generic to me.
Thanks, that explains a lot to me. And that's probably why you weren't crazy about my list either because I had many 80's songs. I am sucker for the 80's but I understand. Did you listen to the songs from Bigger Lovers and Kut U Up yet? Sorry to be a pest but I think it gives my playlist justice to listen to those other songs and know how you feel about the rare songs I included.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Look, it's DI. The tastes of the people who play this game are so wide, there's no way for you to please everyone. And really, nor should you try. DI is about making a list of music you love and find interesting that you want to share with the other people playing. For instance, I thought it'd be fun to do a horror theme. Did I think anyone would fall in love with it? Hell, no. I expected everyone to hate it, I just thought it'd be fun to try to scare the hell out of people with some spooky, disturbing music. Lots of people didn't like mine. I'm okay with that. And if someone doesn't like it, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. When you get negative feedback, you take it as constructive criticism for next time to make something better. I'm just trying to be friendly and I don't like being interrogated about liking a playlist or not. It's not going to change my mind about my rankings, which are due tonight and I have one more list to go. I'm sorry, your list wasn't my thing, and I've explained why and I'm going to leave it at that.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Look, it's DI. The tastes of the people who play this game are so wide, there's no way for you to please everyone. And really, nor should you try. DI is about making a list of music you love and find interesting that you want to share with the other people playing. For instance, I thought it'd be fun to do a horror theme. Did I think anyone would fall in love with it? Hell, no. I expected everyone to hate it, I just thought it'd be fun to try to scare the hell out of people with some spooky, disturbing music. Lots of people didn't like mine. I'm okay with that. And if someone doesn't like it, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. When you get negative feedback, you take it as constructive criticism for next time to make something better. I'm just trying to be friendly and I don't like being interrogated about liking a playlist or not. It's not going to change my mind about my rankings, which are due tonight and I have one more list to go. I'm sorry, your list wasn't my thing, and I've explained why and I'm going to leave it at that.
You are right. Sorry, I will leave it at that.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #56
45:33

Local Time: 05:00 PM
i'll post my thoughts on Ashley, Andrew, Andre and CIB's lists shortly, but i've gotta send the rankings in for now! but rest assured i will provide reviews! i've found something to like in all!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #57
Vocal parasite

I've just finished my DI listening with the tourist's list. Got to be honest Andrew and say that although your sequencing was impeccable as usual (and helped nudge your list ahead of a couple of others in my rankings), the list didn't leave much of a mark on me. Lots of choices that just aren't my style, though by and large I didn't outright dislike them either. I'd managed to avoid that Cee-Lo Green song until now, and as usual I don't get what all the hype was all about, and including Umbrella is almost unforgiveable. With that out of the way, my favourite passage was that fron the Stone Roses to around about Girls; these competitions always remind me that I should give a Stone Roses album a proper spin. I think this was a solid list, but below your best.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

9 rankings in so far - keep 'em coming...

I'd like to have all by the time I wake up in the morning, if possible. So that would be within the next 12 hours.

I'm concerned that I haven't heard or seen collapse and uv92 around. If anyone knows them, give 'em a shout that I need their rankings by tomorrow morning or else I'll have to remove their lists.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

And cobbler, EST is Eastern Standard Time.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #60
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan
And cobbler, EST is Eastern Standard Time.
That's just bait for the "friggin' cobbler"ers