Desert Island VIII Master List, Part Four - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Whoops. Sorry, Khan.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #17
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

no problem

Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Reggo, could you possibly send the link to Axver's list to me via PM?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 PM
For this group, I started off with CIB's list.

Screwtape beat me to it, but I had the same thoughts. This playlist has a lot of songs that I really like, but the sequencing could have been better in places. Screw put up a good example - I'd also use Ramble On and Pardon Me - I don't think the songs went together very well. I will say that the beginning was smooth, however; I was surprised that New Order into BRMC made for a good coupling.

But, apart from the transitions, the songs themselves are mostly excellent. Lots of classics and deep cuts throughout, which I enjoyed. Woman In Chains is one of my favorite TFF cuts, and you have Guster on here, a band I've always liked. Loving Cup is pure Stones. Shock The Monkey is another favorite, although you used the single version, which pales in comparison to the regular album one.

Not being a big fan of Ben Folds, I hadn't heard that Zak & Sara song before but liked it; I can't say the same for that Kut U Up track though.

A very strong playlist when it comes to the songs used. Again, I like a major portion that's included. Tightening up the sequencing would have made this a strong possibility for the top spot, but as it is, it'll still get ranked fairly decently.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I just sent the new upload link to everyone on the distro list. If I missed anyone, let me know.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Axver
Highlight: Like Phanan’s playlist this felt like a unified work so no highlight. You and Phanan are basically locks for my top five going into every game at this point and you did not disappoint. Amazing job all around.

Favorite Aspect: Pretty much everything I said above. It was an enjoyable listen from start to finish. After all the DI’s you keep coming up with something fresh.

Other Things I Liked:
1. Major props for using only two previous artists in a playlist of thirty-seven songs.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the really kind words, Screwtape! Glad you enjoyed the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Other Things I Liked:
1. Major props for using only two previous artists in a playlist of thirty-seven songs.
Heh, I'm still really annoyed about this. The original couple of drafts had no repeats at all, and I don't know what total brain fail I had that caused those two to creep in later. By the time I realised, I was just a bit too attached to them in the list ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I had skipped over Axver and started the tourist's playlist before I received the new link, so I'll get to Axver's this weekend.

For the tourist:

Wasn't too keen on the first few songs, but things started to pick up with Animal Collective, and I loved how you followed it with The Beach Boys - a natural pairing. After that, many great songs, including Stone Roses, National, AF, Pixies, etc. along with others that were ok, but not normally ones I'd listen to. The radio edit of Lights & Music really cuts into the song too much; I would've used the regular single version instead (the one on LM's list).

My favorite stretch was probably Gorillaz all the way through to Yeah Yeah Yeahs - that was an excellent and solid block of killer tunes. Also liked the ending with BOH, Fleet Foxes, and The Beatles.

A very good playlist by you, as usual. There were probably a few more songs on here that I didn't like, when comparing to your last playlist which ranked quite high for me, but still a very solid entry.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Tourist
Highlight: The stretch of The Raveonettes-Viva Voce- The Last Shadow Puppets, though several parts could just as easily have been the highlight.

Favorite Aspect: Great playlist. My favorite aspect was exactly what you talk about in your paragraph. It flows very well and it does feel like a loop that could be started at any place.

Other Things I Liked:
1. The opening three tracks of the playlist.
2. The stretch of Twin Shadow-Phoenix-Broken Bells.
3. The duo of Gorillaz and Cut Copy.

And that’s it. Great playlists everyone! This was probably the best overall DI yet. It made the ranking an absolute nightmare. I cannot imagine how close the final results will be.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I listened to lists from The Tourist and Axver over the last few days.

I'll begin with one of my favorite forum names, The Tourist. This was a consistently engaging list with a fluid, coherent feel. Some of the transitions were silky-smooth - I'm thinking especially of My Morning Jacket into The Black Keys here. I enjoyed the gradual progression of genre, and a few of my absolute favorite tracks from 2010 - most notably "We Used to Wait" and "Helicopter" - turned up as well. I should also note that the "Naked" version of "Across the Universe" is arguably my favorite Beatles song. The arrangement brings the strength of the writing to the fore, and those lyrics may be the finest ever committed to a rock song. Needless to say, I liked this one.

Now for Axver. I went into this one very curious, as most of his posts in this forum regard groups with which I am completely unfamiliar. This list, however, was both diverse and stunningly coherent. Like phanan's list, the flow in this one was so natural that one would think it were a proper studio album. Though the genres and styles changed throughout the list, the general mood and tempo remained remarkably consistent. Chameleon, Tamaryn, and Washed Out contributed my favorite tracks; the third of these was an especially welcome track, as my girlfriend, who had heard it in Portlandia, has been asking me to identify it. Although the rankings are going to be nearly impossible, I trust that this will place near the top for me, as will that of The Tourist.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
Refugee

CIB's playlist:

- “16 Days” was an excellent opener. I’ve always been a fan of those slow-building intros where there’s some non-musical audio before the band kicks in.
- The transition from New Order to B.R.M.C. was flawless. Felt like they fit naturally right next to each other.
- Never really been a fan of most Joy Division, except for “Love Will Tear Us Apart.” This song didn’t change my mind sadly. I also felt it segued badly into the Blur song, which I did enjoy.
- The section from “God Part II” until the end of the first half worked really well. Each song sort of introduced the next without sounding too similar in style. Wonderful way to end this half, especially with the always epic “Love Reign O’er Me.”
- Although the Kinks started part 2, I felt it would fit perfectly alongside many tracks from the first half. Yet, it also stood well on its own as an opener.
- I think the Velvet Underground song broke the flow a little, due to it being a live track and because I felt that “Loving Cup” would have been a much better follower for “Big Sky.”
- Springsteen and Meat Loaf worked really well right next to each other, though I definitely preferred “Thunder Road.” Not much of a Meat Loaf fan.
- I really enjoyed the segment from “Ramble On” through “Night Must End” far more than I thought I would. Never heard anything by Sleeping At Last but they were pretty good!
- I think Arcade Fire and The National back to back was my favorite part of the playlist, mainly because I just love both of those bands immensely.
- Really liked the White Lies and Empire of the Sun songs! Following the MGMT was a great move as well.
- Loved the ending duo of Ben Folds and Guster.

All in all, this has been one of my favorite playlists of the tournament. Full of songs I either loved before or wound up liking thanks to this list. Awesome job!

Next up, Axver's list. Looking forward to it!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Thanks to Phanan, Joey, and Screwtape for giving my list a fair trial! I am surprised to see that Phanan and Screwtape thought the flow was off a lot and sounded like a shuffle. I know some parts weren't great. I reworked these playlists many times, went to music sites to see what artists were compatable with each other and thought the flow was at least decent. I purposley didn't follow the "status quo" of Coldplay always follows U2. I tried something different. But I will take your comments into consideration and I'll see what I can do better next time. So, thank you.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I can't say the same for that Kut U Up track though.

A very strong playlist when it comes to the songs used. Again, I like a major portion that's included. Tightening up the sequencing would have made this a strong possibility for the top spot, but as it is, it'll still get ranked fairly decently.
Kut U UP, not your thing? The loud "mofo" chorus is an aquired taste. lol. Did you like my Bigger Lovers choice better compared to last time? Did you like that Sleeping at Last track?

I can't believe you actually think my playlist is "worthy" of being a top spot if the flow was better. It feels good to know people enjoy the deep cuts as well as the classic ones. Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
CIB's playlist:

- “16 Days” was an excellent opener. I’ve always been a fan of those slow-building intros where there’s some non-musical audio before the band kicks in.
- The transition from New Order to B.R.M.C. was flawless. Felt like they fit naturally right next to each other.
- Never heard anything by Sleeping At Last but they were pretty good!
- I think Arcade Fire and The National back to back was my favorite part of the playlist, mainly because I just love both of those bands immensely.
- Really liked the White Lies and Empire of the Sun songs! Following the MGMT was a great move as well.
- Loved the ending duo of Ben Folds and Guster.

All in all, this has been one of my favorite playlists of the tournament. Full of songs I either loved before or wound up liking thanks to this list. Awesome job!

Sleeping at Last is an amazing band. Did you like the Kut U Up or the Bigger Lovers track?

Yes, my favorite transitions were the Modern English song to the New Order to the BRMC. It doesn't look like it would work on paper but it does! I am happy you enjoyed it!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #30
Refugee

Axver's Playlist:

- The entire playlist was a very cohesive piece. I felt all the tracks, whether I liked them or not, fit together.
- Thought “Don’t Fall” made for a good opening. Hadn’t heard anything by the Chameleons before but I enjoyed it. Reminded me of a louder Joy Division or to be more modern, similar to the Horrors.
- I’ve been meaning to check out Tamaryn so I was excited to see her on your list. I really enjoyed the song and will be listening to more by her. It also segued well into Soundpool.
- In fact, that early trilogy of female singers was a very awesome segment that I was a big fan of. All three of those songs are great.
- Loved the duo of The Go-Betweens and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart. Big fan of the second band, especially.
- I’ve never really been a fan of The Church and this track sadly didn’t change my mind. Didn’t really enjoy the Adorable song either.
- I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with Crocodiles but this song was pretty enjoyable. I also liked the Ramones feel of the Husker Du track.
- Although both A Place To Bury Strangers and Ceremony had a heavy, fuzzed-out feel, I thought the latter was much better. The former didn’t do much for me, although they did work well together.
- I really like the chilled-out feel from Seja to Salmonella Dub, with “To The Lighthouse” being my favorite of the three.
- Manic Street Preachers and Film School worked wonderfully back-to-back. Great picks.
- “Common Reactor” was an excellent choice to close. One of the most underrated Silversun Pickups songs, in my opinion

All in all, a really well-done playlist! Some of the best cohesion I've seen this round.