Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
After almost a year, we are ready to return…

Welcome to Desert Island VII.

The premise is simple - create the best musical experience you can if you were stuck on a desert island, and it was the only thing you'd be able to listen to. Remember that picking a playlist is more than just having great songs; cohesion is essential, and for our veteran players, variety from past entries is key.

THE RULES
1. Your playlist can be up to 160 minutes in length. You may employ any medium you desire - two CDs of no more than 80 minutes each, unbroken iPod playlists, or any other combination of songs.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements, all tracks or movements may be included. For example, if you wanted to have both parts of the song "Love Like A Sunset" by Phoenix, this would be acceptable even though they are split over two tracks, as it is basically one song. I will also accept intros to songs that are separated. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with me first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site or MySpace page. Unreleased tracks (like U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way. However, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end. Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits.
5. Songs from compilations are allowed. However, if you wish to use more than one song from the same compilation, please contact me first. A playlist should not rely too strongly on material originating from a single source.
6. If you have competed in prior editions of the game, you MUST NOT REPEAT ANY SONGS from your previous entries. Songs used in the mini-tournaments may be repeated at will, though.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All entries need to be sent via PM to me directly by March 31st. Please include the following:

1. Your playlist.
2. Links to uploads of your playlist so that others may hear the music they do not know. This is mandatory, so if you cannot do uploads, do not bother entering. Also, please upload your playlist in either ZIP or RAR folders rather than each song individually.
3. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your playlist (why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your playlist, etc.).
4. OPTIONAL: A cover for your playlist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.

FORMAT
We will be changing the format for this edition, based on the success of the Best Of 2000s mini-tournament. Instead of polls, we will use a simple ranking system. Here’s how it will work:

As playlists are received, I will create four Master List threads containing five entries each (20 submissions overall). If I receive the first five submissions prior to the March 31st deadline, the first Master List thread will appear early. The idea is to give everyone adequate time for listening to each playlist without getting them all at once. I plan on releasing a new Master List thread approximately two weeks after the previous one.

By a specific date, everyone will need to provide me with a ranking of all the playlists (this date will show up in the last Master List thread). You'll rank 19 playlists total - you will not include your own. Points will be added up using the following formula:

1. 19 points
2. 18 points
3. 17 points

And so on.

I will calculate the totals and post them in the Results thread (date TBA), along with each player's individual ranking.

In lieu of a running diary thread, players can leave comments within each Master List thread if they so desire. It is also encouraged to include a commentary of your thoughts when submitting your playlist ranking.

CONTESTANTS
This tournament will have 20 contestants admitted on a first come, first served basis. Since we always have people sign up and then drop off, two alternates will also be listed.

To register your intention to compete, add your name to the following list:

1. phanan
ALT 1.
ALT 2.

Also, if you wish to be a listener only, you can! Simply indicate your intentions by posting in this thread, and I will keep a running tally.

Thanks everyone.

I'm in. Should be a good time, if nothing else, it's always amusing.

Last edited:
YLB/NSW are in as a team.

hallandoates.jpg

Maybe everyone will find it too time consuming, but since this is the first time we're doing it like this. What if we were to do it both ways, everyone does the rankings, Phanan keeps them under wraps, and do the round by round voting then as well. It could prove interesting...

I'm giving mine a test listen now...

fun facts!

30/30 artists I have not used before
9 songs are post-rock
1 song will scare the shit out of everyone (except mayyybe Axver)
1 song is not in English
I'm gonna guess something like 19 artists will be unfamiliar to most people

I'm giving mine a test listen now...

fun facts!

30/30 artists I have not used before
9 songs are post-rock
1 song will scare the shit out of everyone (except mayyybe Axver)
1 song is not in English
I'm gonna guess something like 19 artists will be unfamiliar to most people

I'm pretty sure that regardless of which of my two lists I use, only about 2-3 of the artists will be known to anybody outside of past DI lists of mine (and there aren't even that many repeats in either draft). Hopefully people will find some new stuff they like ...

I expect an atypically upbeat playlist from you then.

Ready and able. :up: Just need some pretentious artwork and a tenuous theme and I'm set.

If you have a problem or something you want to say PM me instead of posting it in the thread. Nothing invites first time participants like a playlist being made fun of on the first page of a sign-up thread.

If you have a problem or something you want to say PM me instead of posting it in the thread. Nothing invites first time participants like a playlist being made fun of on the first page of a sign-up thread.

As much as you've contributed to DI, I'm fairly certain that others have entered playlists with pretentious artwork and tenuous concepts, myself included (DI4). It's not unique to you.

I may make fun of your list, but no sooner than one second after I've heard it in full and properly analyzed its contents.

1. Phanan
2. Imperor
3. onebloodonelife
4. PhilsFan
5. LMP/No spoken words
6. Screwtape2
7. GirlsAloudFan
8. bono_212
9. AtomicBono
10. Axver
11. LemonMelon
12. coolian2
13. khanadarhodes
14. the tourist
15. Mr. V
16. Cute Irish Bono

Hey, thanks for counting me, PhilsFan. Just got home from final+work, and thankful to know there's space! :)

Maybe everyone will find it too time consuming, but since this is the first time we're doing it like this. What if we were to do it both ways, everyone does the rankings, Phanan keeps them under wraps, and do the round by round voting then as well. It could prove interesting...

While it would be interesting to see what, if any, differences there would be, I think we'll just do it this new way for now.

If you have a problem or something you want to say PM me instead of posting it in the thread.

Hey, Screwtape, I have a downloading question. May I e-mail you regarding this question? Also can you tell me your e-mail once again? I can no longer PM.

That's cool Phanan.

I'm going to listen to my list through tonight, and if I'm still pleased, Ima send it in tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom