Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #46
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
If I remember correctly, your list was one of the few that actually would still be considered to have value as a DI list. That "up to 7 tracks from any one band" rule or whatever it was really makes some of the lesser lists look laughable in hindsight.

Undoubtedly. I don't know about the rest of you, but even if there were no prohibition on re-use, I'd make a point of steadfastly avoiding it anyway. I'd only re-use if I feel like a song is imperative.

I tend to think of a rule permitting re-use as being more for those cases when you feel like you absolutely wasted a track. I've noticed a number of people feel their first DI entry wasted tracks that, with a bit of tournament experience, they wouldn't have forced in. This is definitely true of me and my first DI list.
Yeah, I still listen to it from time to time. Would've been stronger if I hadn't have reused the same artist here and there, but thanks for the compliment.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. If anything, that sort of handicap should be encouraged if they same people keep signing up, which, who would've thought it, happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
You mean no one actually read the rules before signing on?

Indra, it was something that was discussed before and thought to have been changed, but you can keep laughing if you like. I'll add a Church track for you.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I'll add a Church track for you.
so we've got one church track to cover all 16 of us. thanks for taking that hit for us.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #48
The Male

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
You mean no one actually read the rules before signing on?

It's easy to take for granted when you're a regular participant in discussing the rules and format of the game itself.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #49
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Never fear, The Church will appear in my bands-I've-never-used-before list, which will be in ... DI IX.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm pretty sure that regardless of which of my two lists I use, only about 2-3 of the artists will be known to anybody outside of past DI lists of mine (and there aren't even that many repeats in either draft). Hopefully people will find some new stuff they like ...
i think introducing new music to people is one of the main purposes of DI, isn't it? at least, that's what i get out of it the most. some of the artists on my list I wouldn't have chosen if not for past DIs.

yeah looking back at my first DI list, uh, it was kind of a disaster. Plenty of good songs but the combination and arrangement was...a little lacking. So I definitely feel like I kinda "wasted" a lot of good songs on that list. for this list it doesn't matter since I'm going with all new artists, but I can see why people would want the option of re-using much older songs.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'd like to first hear if maybe Phanan just kind of messed that part of the rules up/forgot before tightening any restrictions.
No mess up on my part. I didn't feel like spelling out all the possibilities, because the situation is different for each person depending on which DIs they have been a part of, so I just went with no songs being repeated, knowing full well that in most cases, a lot of us were using different tracks anyway.

However, I should have amended it to say that if you have a song that you wish to use that has been done before, then simply PM me first. As you all know, I'm quite flexible with most scenarios that come up (this is supposed to be for fun, after all), and unless you just used it the last few times out, it most likely won't be an issue.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Can I get a rule clarification on something? If there is a hidden track that is clearly its own song and separated by silence from the main track, can it be used or is that against the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Hey, Screwtape, I have a downloading question. May I e-mail you regarding this question? Also can you tell me your e-mail once again? I can no longer PM.
You can just post it in the thread.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

The hidden track can most definitely be used on its own, just as the main track can. They are two different songs.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post

You can just post it in the thread.
I can't change my files to Rar and put all my songs to one folder after I upload my files to Media Fire. I tried to download some program to convert my files to the rar format but my computer won't allow the program to be downloaded for some odd reason. Also I am not one who is great with computers. Would you mind me sending you my files and converting them to rar and putting them all in one folder? I would really appreicate it. I already have the Media Fire links ready.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

You don't need to rar them. You could just put all the files into a zip folder and then upload that.

Also, I pose a question to everyone: all my music is in Apple Lossless. What bit-rate would be good to convert my music to? 192kbps?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
You could just put all the files into a zip folder and then upload that.

Thanks for letting me know that because I am computer illerate. How do I put all the files in a zip folder on Media Fire? Then how do I upload the folder?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Thanks for letting me know that because I am computer illerate. How do I put all the files in a zip folder on Media Fire? Then how do I upload the folder?
Oh, do you not have the files on your computer? Once they're on mediafire, as far as I know, you can't put them into a zip folder. You have to put them in a zip folder on your computer and then upload that zip folder.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Oh, do you not have the files on your computer? Once they're on mediafire, as far as I know, you can't put them into a zip folder. You have to put them in a zip folder on your computer and then upload that zip folder.
Oh. I have the files on my computer at home. But I am at a friend's house for Spring Break. But how do put them in a zip folder on my computer when I go back home? Do I need to download a zip application?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

No, you just put them all in one folder. Then, right click that folder, and one of the options should be to convert or send to a "Compressed Folder" or a ZIP folder.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Do you mean through Mediafire or i-Tunes? When I did through Mediafire the only options it gave me were, "convert link target to Adobe PDF" and "convert link target to existing PDF."

Tags
desert island