Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I am totally rearranging my list unless I go with my backup. But I don't think I will. This list, while similar in construction to my past list, is much different in content!

I thought we were allowing DI1 songs to be reused, then DI2 and so on. I don't recall this rule being discussed, less so an expressed intention to modify it. :slant:

on a serious note, yeah i agree. i remember for DI4 you could reuse from the first one, but not 2-3. that seemed reasonable. having an ever-growing list of songs to never use again seems a bit excessive.

I thought we were allowing DI1 songs to be reused, then DI2 and so on. I don't recall this rule being discussed, less so an expressed intention to modify it. :slant:

The very first DI seems barely considered a canonical DI these days (and for good reason). :lol:

I would support the rule being that you cannot re-use any songs used in your last three full DI lists, and anything older is fair game. At any rate, I was certainly under the impression that we were gradually releasing material from the oldest DIs for re-use.

Hey, don't revoke my first title.

Either way, it's cool. Surely there's enough music to mine for a 2 CD list without having to fall back to previously used tracks, even if it'd be great to toss in there.

The very first DI seems barely considered a canonical DI these days (and for good reason). :lol:

Considering what I was listening to at the time, one disc would have been The Joshua Tree and the other would have been Achtung Baby. And I would have won.

I really don't like the idea of re-using a track in the first place, but this song was kind of the linch-pin of my list...

Hey, don't revoke my first title.

If I remember correctly, your list was one of the few that actually would still be considered to have value as a DI list. That "up to 7 tracks from any one band" rule or whatever it was really makes some of the lesser lists look laughable in hindsight.

Either way, it's cool. Surely there's enough music to mine for a 2 CD list without having to fall back to previously used tracks, even if it'd be great to toss in there.

Undoubtedly. I don't know about the rest of you, but even if there were no prohibition on re-use, I'd make a point of steadfastly avoiding it anyway. I'd only re-use if I feel like a song is imperative.

I tend to think of a rule permitting re-use as being more for those cases when you feel like you absolutely wasted a track. I've noticed a number of people feel their first DI entry wasted tracks that, with a bit of tournament experience, they wouldn't have forced in. This is definitely true of me and my first DI list.

Perhaps we could permit re-use in narrow cases if you can establish to phanan (or whoever's running future tournaments) that a track you want to re-use is central to your current list in some sort of thematic sense? Not just that it happens to flow nicely or whatever, but that it is essential to the success of the list. It could also come with a restriction requiring the new list to be significantly different to the old list in various senses (e.g. a certain level of new artists or whatever). Make it a trade-off; yes, one rule is relaxed, but another is tightened.

Any thoughts on that? I tend to prefer my previous proposal that older lists are gradually released, but maybe there would be some merit to this ...

I'd like to first hear if maybe Phanan just kind of messed that part of the rules up/forgot before tightening any restrictions.

You mean no one actually read the rules before signing on?

:lmao:

If I remember correctly, your list was one of the few that actually would still be considered to have value as a DI list. That "up to 7 tracks from any one band" rule or whatever it was really makes some of the lesser lists look laughable in hindsight.

Undoubtedly. I don't know about the rest of you, but even if there were no prohibition on re-use, I'd make a point of steadfastly avoiding it anyway. I'd only re-use if I feel like a song is imperative.

I tend to think of a rule permitting re-use as being more for those cases when you feel like you absolutely wasted a track. I've noticed a number of people feel their first DI entry wasted tracks that, with a bit of tournament experience, they wouldn't have forced in. This is definitely true of me and my first DI list.

Yeah, I still listen to it from time to time. Would've been stronger if I hadn't have reused the same artist here and there, but thanks for the compliment.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. If anything, that sort of handicap should be encouraged if they same people keep signing up, which, who would've thought it, happens.

You mean no one actually read the rules before signing on?

:lmao:

Indra, it was something that was discussed before and thought to have been changed, but you can keep laughing if you like. I'll add a Church track for you.

Never fear, The Church will appear in my bands-I've-never-used-before list, which will be in ... DI IX.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of which of my two lists I use, only about 2-3 of the artists will be known to anybody outside of past DI lists of mine (and there aren't even that many repeats in either draft). Hopefully people will find some new stuff they like ...

:up: i think introducing new music to people is one of the main purposes of DI, isn't it? at least, that's what i get out of it the most. some of the artists on my list I wouldn't have chosen if not for past DIs.

yeah looking back at my first DI list, uh, it was kind of a disaster. Plenty of good songs but the combination and arrangement was...a little lacking. So I definitely feel like I kinda "wasted" a lot of good songs on that list. for this list it doesn't matter since I'm going with all new artists, but I can see why people would want the option of re-using much older songs.

I'd like to first hear if maybe Phanan just kind of messed that part of the rules up/forgot before tightening any restrictions.

No mess up on my part. I didn't feel like spelling out all the possibilities, because the situation is different for each person depending on which DIs they have been a part of, so I just went with no songs being repeated, knowing full well that in most cases, a lot of us were using different tracks anyway.

However, I should have amended it to say that if you have a song that you wish to use that has been done before, then simply PM me first. As you all know, I'm quite flexible with most scenarios that come up (this is supposed to be for fun, after all), and unless you just used it the last few times out, it most likely won't be an issue.

Can I get a rule clarification on something? If there is a hidden track that is clearly its own song and separated by silence from the main track, can it be used or is that against the rules?

Hey, Screwtape, I have a downloading question. May I e-mail you regarding this question? Also can you tell me your e-mail once again? I can no longer PM.

You can just post it in the thread.

You can just post it in the thread.

I can't change my files to Rar and put all my songs to one folder after I upload my files to Media Fire. I tried to download some program to convert my files to the rar format but my computer won't allow the program to be downloaded for some odd reason. Also I am not one who is great with computers. Would you mind me sending you my files and converting them to rar and putting them all in one folder? I would really appreicate it. I already have the Media Fire links ready.

You don't need to rar them. You could just put all the files into a zip folder and then upload that.

Also, I pose a question to everyone: all my music is in Apple Lossless. What bit-rate would be good to convert my music to? 192kbps?

You could just put all the files into a zip folder and then upload that.

Thanks for letting me know that because I am computer illerate. :) How do I put all the files in a zip folder on Media Fire? Then how do I upload the folder?

Thanks for letting me know that because I am computer illerate. :) How do I put all the files in a zip folder on Media Fire? Then how do I upload the folder?

Oh, do you not have the files on your computer? Once they're on mediafire, as far as I know, you can't put them into a zip folder. You have to put them in a zip folder on your computer and then upload that zip folder.

Oh, do you not have the files on your computer? Once they're on mediafire, as far as I know, you can't put them into a zip folder. You have to put them in a zip folder on your computer and then upload that zip folder.

Oh. I have the files on my computer at home. But I am at a friend's house for Spring Break. But how do put them in a zip folder on my computer when I go back home? Do I need to download a zip application?

No, you just put them all in one folder. Then, right click that folder, and one of the options should be to convert or send to a "Compressed Folder" or a ZIP folder.

Do you mean through Mediafire or i-Tunes? When I did through Mediafire the only options it gave me were, "convert link target to Adobe PDF" and "convert link target to existing PDF."

Back
Top Bottom