Desert Island VII Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
17. Axver

Total Points: 57

Highest Ranking: 5th
Lowest Ranking: 16th

YOU'RE JUST TOO OBSCURE FOR ME

My passion for New Zealand is not much of a secret. Two of my past lists have been in some way connected to the country - one a story of early colonial life, the other a nostalgic hometown reflection. New Zealand musicians have routinely shown up in my lists. This list takes that fascination to its logical conclusion, and will by necessity guide my future lists further afield. It is, quite simply, a list devoted exclusively to New Zealand music. Every song on this list was performed by a New Zealand band (or in two cases, bands formed in Melbourne, Australia featuring New Zealanders famous from Split Enz).

This list naturally reflects my biases with regards to New Zealand music. It focuses heavily on the "Dunedin Sound" scene of the 1980s and early 1990s, a scene that in fact did not have one single sound, but ranged from jangle pop to lo-fi rock to noise experimentation. It was popularised by independent record label Flying Nun, whose founder Roger Shepherd released any music he liked, regardless of its (lack of) commercial appeal. Although the scene's hub was the southern city of Dunedin, a significant number of bands actually came from elsewhere in New Zealand, most notably Christchurch's The Bats and Auckland's Able Tasmans, not to mention the scene's most influential musician, Martin Phillipps of The Chills, a Wellingtonian by birth.

Beyond the Dunedin Sound, my list provides some attention to the various projects of Split Enz members, notably brothers Neil and Tim Finn. The Screaming Meemees and Blam Blam Blam provide representation for the North Shore Invasion and the pre-Flying Nun scene in Auckland. You'll find some other stuff around the place too; even a bit of my beloved post-rock via the Hawkes Bay. Some scenes have unfortunately been neglected; I confess to little knowledge of New Zealand music prior to the late 1970s (The Avengers are the sole 1960s band), I wilfully neglected the rubbish of the contemporary South Auckland scene, and Salmonella Dub just sounded ludicrously out of place.

You will notice the recording quality of some tracks is ... not ideal. Shut out by the major recording companies, many bands of the 1980s resorted to whatever recording equipment they could get their hands on, forcing a lo-fi aesthetic upon their music. Many of these recordings were pressed solely on vinyl and are rather scarce, hence it was difficult to even find a copy (good luck finding Terraces, for instance). Do forgive the failings of any rips. I think the songwriting and passion of the musicians outweighs any shortcomings of the recording conditions and the rips. I hope you do too.

1. Dimmer - "Degrees Of Existence" - Degrees Of Existence (4:30)
2. Blam Blam Blam - "There Is No Depression In New Zealand" - It's Bigger Than Both Of Us: New Zealand Singles, 1979-82 (3:19)
3. Bailter Space - "Projects" - Vortura (5:07)
4. Children's Hour - "Caroline's Dream" - Flesh (3:15)
5. Nocturnal Projections - "You'll Never Know" - Another Year (3:39)
6. Bored Games - "Joe 90" - Who Killed Colonel Mustard (4:36)
7. Goblin Mix - "Unusual Wish" - Goblin Mix (3:17)
8. The Bats - "Treason" - Daddy's Highway (2:56)
9. The Chills - "Part Past Part Fiction" - Submarine Bells (2:56)
10. TIm Finn - "Persuasion" - North, South, East, West (3:53)
11. Straitjacket Fits - "Down In Splendour" - Melt (3:39)
12. The Wild Poppies - "Colourdrift" - Heroine (3:55)
13. Terraces - "A Place Like This" - A Place Like This / Pictorial (5:26)
14. The Screaming Meemees - "Sunday Boys" - It's Bigger Than Both Of Us: New Zealand Singles 1979-82 (3:45)
15. The Verlaines - "New Kind Of Hero" - Juvenilia (3:20)
16. Look Blue Go Purple - "Safety In Crosswords" - Look Blue Go Purple (3:17)
17. Schnell Fenster - "Whisper" - The Sound Of Trees (3:48)
18. The Magick Heads - "Before We Go Under" - Before We Go Under (2:54)
19. Finn Brothers - "Suffer Never" - Finn Brothers (4:00)
20. The Avengers - "Love, Hate, Revenge" - Electric Recording (2:39)
21. The Terminals - "No" - Cul-de-Sac (1:56)
22. Martin Phillipps - "February" - Sketch Book Volume One (2:50)
23. Bike - "Take In The Sun" - Take In The Sun (3:14)
24. Swingers - "Ayatollah" - Counting The Beat (3:39)
25. The Clean - "Point That Thing Somewhere Else" - Anthology (5:28)
26. Pop Art Toasters - "Circles" - Pop Art Toasters (2:27)
27. The Exploding Budgies - "Hank Marvin" - Grotesque Singers (3:06)
28. 3Ds - "Man On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" - The Venus Trail (4:08)
29. Toy Love - "Rebel" - Cuts (2:22)
30. Gordons - "Coalminer's Song" - Gordons / Future Shock (5:46)
31. This Will Kill That - "Two Way Prong" - Nailed Out (4:14)
32. Ghost Club - "Cool Air" - Ghostclubbing (3:40)
33. Skeptics - "And We Bake" - Amalgam (4:31)
34. Headless Chickens - "Mr Moon" - Body Blow (4:31)
35. Split Enz - "Dirty Creature" - Time And Tide (4:02)
36. Able Tasmans - "School Is No Good For You" - Somebody Ate My Planet (6:43)
37. Jakob - "The Diffusion Of Our Inherent Situation" - Cale Drew (6:12)
38. Evermore - "Everyone (Moving On)" - Dreams (5:23)
39. Crowded House - "When You Come" - Temple Of Low Men (4:46)

Runtime: 152:39

16. namkcuR

Total Points: 80

Highest Ranking: 6th

Aurora Borealis

I spent more time on this playlist than any I've made before - this is the second main DI I've done(the other was the very first DI), but the fourth DI I've done counting the mini-games(Symphonic Island, Retro Island, and Best Of 2000s). Going in, I decided to make a playlist with an electronic/classical/otherwise instrumental theme. I really wanted this playlist to sound like fantasy, maybe even somewhat otherworldly at times - that's why I named it 'Aurora Borealis', because Aurorae Borealis look like fantasy, and I wanted this to sound like fantasy; whether or not I succeeded in that, you'll tell me, but that was my aim here. I modified the tag information for Album and Track Number for all of the tracks, so I think they should appear in the right order automatically, but I can't promise that they will, because I modified the information with VLC Player and I don't know if ITunes will see the changes correctly(I use ITunes primarily, but I would've had to import second copies of everything since I don't want to modify my main copies, and that would've been confusing). I uploaded it all in one zip, so it's a bit on the large side - if that's an inconvenience to anyone, I can split it in two.

cover1c.png

The first part of the playlist is the electronic part - some of it is pure 100% electronic music, some of it is electronic-influenced music, some of it is video game music. A couple of notes about the first two tracks - the first track sounds orchestral but is actually electronic, because the orchestra isn't real, from what I understand, and the second track is the only track in the first part that is 0% electronic, it's completely orchestral. For this part in particular, I used it as an excuse to listen to some big electronic names that I had been wanting to listen to more of for a while now - Kraftwerk, Daft Punk, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Komputer(not so well known, I guess), the NIN Ghosts album, and Genesis(ok, they're not an electronic artist, but the second half of the track I picked fits the electronic mold fairly well). I also discovered Royksopp via somebody else's playlist in this DI, really digging them. I enjoyed listening to all this electronic music, it's a genre I've wanted to get to know better for a while now.

Book I:

1. Koji Kondo - "Overworld" - Zelda Sound And Drama (2:50)
2. Klaus Doldinger - "Bastian's Happy Flight" - The Neverending Story Soundtrack(3:13)
3. My Bloody Valentine - "To Here Knows When" - Loveless (5:31)
4. Daft Punk - "Veridis Quo" - Discovery (5:45)
5. Shiny Toy Guns - "Major Tom" - Major Tom (4:11)
6. Kleerup feat. Robyn - "With Every Heartbeat" - Kleerup (4:08)
7. Royksopp feat. Lykki Li - "Miss It So Much" - Junior (5:02)
8. Kraftwerk - "Spacelab" - The Man-Machine (5:55)
9. Komputer - "Motopia" - The World Of Tomorrow (2:57)
10. U2 - "Lady With The Spinning Head[Extended Dance Mix] - The Best Of 1990-2000 (6:08)
11. The Chemical Brothers - "The Private Psychedelic Reel" - Singles 93-03 (9:08)
12. Yumiko Kameya/Naoto Ishida - "Mute City" - F-Zero OSV (1:53)
13. Nine Inch Nails - "Ghosts II 05" - Ghosts (3:06)
14. Grandaddy - "A.M. 180" - Under The Western Freeway (3:21)
15. Genesis - "The Cinema Show" - Selling England By The Pound (11:06)
16. Aphex Twin - "Goon Gumpas" - Richard D. James Album ( 2:03)
17. Bjork - "Unison" - Vespertine (6:49)
18. Radiohead - "Kid A" - Kid A (4:44)
19. Shiho Fujii, Ryo Nagamatsu - "Castle BGM" - New Super Mario Bros. Wii OST (2:46)

Total Running Time: 1:30:27

cover2m.png

The second part of the playlist is largely orchestral in nature…it's got video game music, some classical pieces, some proggy stuff(Bowie, Floyd), some rock-symphonic stuff(Muse), and a Sigur Ros track(which doesn't exactly sound like it fits the theme on paper but I think fits in really well). This part is pretty heavy, it has a fairly dark vibe at times, but I think there's a lot of really beautiful and powerful music here. I kind of used the Exogenesis Symphony as a centerpiece here, and I think all four of the tracks preceding it sort of build up to it. A note about the way I chose to end it; I may have made the ending a little too epic, with the huge build up in the second half of the Sigur Ros track leading into the almost-half-hour-long Pink Floyd track. I honestly thought both tracks sounded like 'grand finale' type tracks, but in the end, the last 1-2 minutes of Atom Heart Mother are just too epic to be anywhere but the end for me. I used the Final Fantasy IV Prologue as a post-ending epilogue type thing. Yes, I appreciate the irony of using a track called 'Prologue' for that purpose. But the FF games themselves have all played some variation of the track during the end credits, after the big ending, for years now, even though it was originally the prologue in FFIV. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do, I'm pretty proud of this playlist.

Book II:

1. Shinsei Nihon Symphony Orchestra - "Birth Of The People ~ Sacrifices" - ActRaiser Symphonic Suite (3:05) *Composed by Yuzo Koshrio
2. Andre Rieu - "Aquarium"(from Saint-Saens' "Carnival Of The Animals") - Romantic Paradise (2:27)
3. David Bowie - "Warszawa" - Low (6:24)
4. Yuzo Koshiro - "Last Moment Of The Dark" - Ys Books I & II OST (2:23)
5. Muse - "Exogenesis: Symphony" - The Resistance (12:51)
-------5. "Pt. 1: Overture" (4:19)
-------6. "Pt. 2: Cross-Pollination" (3:56)
-------7. "Pt. 3: Redemption" (4:37)
8. Arthur Rubinstein - "Nocturne Op. 9/No. 2 in E-flat" - The Chopin Collection (4:27)
9. Sigur Ros - "Festival" - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust (9:24)
10. Pink Floyd - "Atom Heart Mother" - Atom Heart Mother (23:44)
11. Nobuo Uematsu - "Prologue(Arranged)" - Final Fantasy IV Minimum Album (4:54)

Total Running Time: 1:09:33

Grand Total Running Time: 2:40:00

Very disappointed Axver wound up last. There are a number of terrific bands in there, and it's not at all proggy. At the very least, do yourselves a friggin service and check out The Chills and The Bats.

15. Joey788

Total Points: 89

Highest Ranking: 2nd
Lowest Ranking: 15th

Disc 1: Afterhours

nightclubg.jpg

A night out on the town turns into an exercise in decadence in every way. Responsibility is thrown out the window as a poor decision leads to a man drowning in vodka shots, heavy bass, and strobe lights. By the time the night's over, he crawls out into the city sidewalk and brings a long journey home.

Tracklisting:
01. Nine Inch Nails - "The Four Of Us Are Dying" - The Slip (4:37)
02. The Horrors - "Who Can Say" - Primary Colors (3:42)
03. Gorillaz - "Stylo" - Plastic Beach (4:30)
04. Beck - "Youthless" - Modern Guilt (2:59)
05. Thom Yorke - "The Clock" - The Eraser (4:13)
06. Crystal Castles - "Knights" - Crystal Castles (3:13)
07. La Roux - "Bulletproof" - La Roux (3:28)
08. Deerhunter - "Lake Somerset" - Cryptograms (3:49)
09. Crocodiles - "Summer of Hate" - Summer of Hate (3:32)
10. Muse - "Undisclosed Desires" - The Resistance (3:56)
11. Rage Against The Machine - "Settle For Nothing" - Rage Against The Machine (4:48)
12. Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse (featuring The Flaming Lips) - "Revenge" - Dark Night of the Soul (4:52)

Disc 2: Hungover Remnants

SunGlare2-BPSPP-Ed.jpg

The man wakes up at home that afternoon with a splitting headache, a sick feeling in his stomach, and few memories of last night's festivities. Throughout the day, only pieces come back to him. Some good, some bad. By the end of the day, he looks at the past events with regret.

01. Metallica - "Damage Inc." - Master of Puppets (5:31)
02. Alice in Chains - "All Secrets Known" - Black Gives Way To Blue (4:43)
03. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Torture Me" - Stadium Arcadium (3:44)
04. Nirvana - "Dumb" - In Utero (2:32)
05. Opeth - "Windowpane" - Damnation (7:45)
06. U2 - "Bad" - The Unforgettable Fire (6:09)
07. Coldplay - "Don't Panic" - Parachutes (2:17)
08. Interpol - "NYC" - Turn On The Bright Lights (4:20)
09. Radiohead - "Nude" - In Rainbows (4:15)
10. St. Vincent - "The Party" - Actor (4:05)
11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Skeletons" - It's Blitz! (3:30)
12. The Magnetic Fields - "The Book of Love" - 69 Love Songs (2:42)
13. Arcade Fire - "My Body Is A Cage" - Neon Bible (4:47)

Total Length: 1:43:46

Yeah, ouch. It was a real mixed bag for me, but still. Beck, St. Vincent, The Horrors, Gorillaz...

I think that, for the most part, the quality of all of the lists has gotten ridiculously better over the past few DIs.

14. Cute Irish Bono

Total Points: 103

Highest Ranking: 3rd

asteroidhitsearth.jpg

The Rapture Of Sound

This is the Rapture of Music. This is music I would be listen to if I knew Armageddon was just around the corner. Supposedly, if the news said on TV that an enormous asteroid was about to strike the Earth is less than two days; I would crank this CD up to prepare me for the RAPTURE!!

PART 1:

1. Spoon – Is Love Forever? – Transference – 2:07
2. Peter Bjorn John – Young Folks – Writer’s Block – 4:39
3. Muse – Bliss – Origin of Symmetry – 4:13
4. Phoenix – 1901- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – 3:13
5. The Hives – Hate To Say I Told You So – Veni Vidi Vicious – 3:20
6. The Rapture – House of Jealous Lovers – Echoes – 5:05
7. Radiohead – Planet Telex – The Bends – 4:18
8. The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army – Elephant – 3:52
9. Snow Patrol – Open Your Eyes – Eyes Open – 5:41
10. Silversun Pickups –Growing Old is Getting Old– Swoon – 5:57
11. The Airborne Toxic Event – Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event – 5:07
12. The XX – Stars – The XX – 4:26
13. Vampire Weekend – Holiday – Contra – 2:21
14. 30 Seconds To Mars – Kings and Queens – This is War – 5:51

PART 2:

1. The Bigger Lovers – On the Vine – 3 Songs EP – 6:10
2. The Smiths – How Soon Is Now? - The Sound of the Smiths – 6:47
3. The Verve – Love is Noise – Forth – 5:28
4. Oasis – Live Forever – Definitely Maybe – 4:37
5. Ryan Adams – So Alive – Rock N Roll – 3:58
6. Aerosmith – I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing – Armageddon – 4:59
7. Frightened Rabbit – Head Rolls Off - The Midnight Organ Fight – 3:46
8. Elbow – Grounds For Divorce - The Seldom Seen Kid – 3:39
9. El Ten Eleven – Hot Cakes - Every Direction Is North – 2:42
10. Explosions In The Sky – First Breath After Coma - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place – 9:34

Total: 1:51:36

I think that, for the most part, the quality of all of the lists has gotten ridiculously better over the past few DIs.

Yeah, we all know which buttons to press now. There's practically a manual for it, filed next to the Frat Boy's Guide To Lancing Moms.

Very true. The ones I ranked somewhere in the middle were nearly as good as the ones I ranked near the top. It was that tough.

I also think a lot of these would have owned in the first couple DIs I participated in.

13. onebloodonelife

Total Points: 116

Highest Ranking: 1st

1290590_4a4545e7bc_b.jpg

An Ode to the Beat

This is my love letter to the rhythm, the drum, the boom bap, the headnodders, and the art of moving butts. For me, the beat embodies the very essence of humanity: radiant, militant, grimy and rough around the edges, arresting, strong, resilient, flexible, breathtaking, circular (and intertextual, which I attempted to represent overtly with the K’naan/Koola Lobitos versions of “Ololufe Mi”—making the list literally come around full circle—as well as the D’Angelo/M.anifest versions of “Africa,” among others). At its best, the beat disturbs my heart rate.

Don’t like it? Well, like P.O.S. says, “we make our own and if they don’t feel it/Then we are not for them (and that’s cool).” But, here’s to hoping something takes you over in the same way as the beat which regularly engulfs me.

1. K’naan - “Ololufe Mi (Fela Tribute)” - The Messengers (4:00)
2. African Head Charge - “Drumming is a Language” - Vision of a Psychedelic Africa (4:03)
3. Madlib - “Blackfire” - Madlib Medicine Show No. 3: Beat Konducta in Africa (1:51)
4. The Souljazz Orchestra - “Agbara” - Rising Sun (4:58)
5. Dessa - “The Bullpen” - A Badly Broken Code (2:36)
6. Atmosphere - “The Things That Hate Us” - Strictly Leakage (2:55)
7. F. Stokes and Lazerbeak - “Soul Clap” - Death of a Handsome Bride (3:07)
8. Fashawn - “Freedom” - Boy Meets World (3:07)
9. Nas - “The World is Yours” - Illmatic (4:51)
10. Femi Kuti - “Missing Link f. Common” - Fight to Win (7:18)
11. Gil Scott-Heron - “Brother” - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (1:45)
12. Nneka - “From Africa 2 U” - No Longer At Ease (3:53)
13. Bokoor Band - “Maya Gari” - Bokoor Beats (2:54)
14. Orchestra Baobab - “Kelen Ati” - African Pearls: Senegal ’70 Musical Effervescence (3:39)
15. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - “War” - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (2:51)
16. BK-One w/Benzilla - “Tema Do Canibal f. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble” - Rádio Do Canibal (3:26)
17. P.O.S. - “Stand Up (Let’s Get Murdered)” - Audition (3:16)
18. N.W.A. - “Express Yourself” - Straight Outta Compton (4:25)
19. A Tribe Called Quest - “Ham ‘N’ Eggs” - People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm (5:30)
20. The Pharcyde - “Somethin’ That Means Somethin’” - Labcabincalifornia (3:31)
21. D’Angelo - “Africa” - Voodoo (6:14)
22. M.anifest - “D’Angelo Said (Africa Re-Fix)” - The Birds and the Beats (3:32)
23. The Fugees - “Refugees on the Mic” - Blunted on Reality (4:58)
24. The Roots - “Double Trouble” - Things Fall Apart (5:51)
25. Mos Def - “Umi Says” - Dave Chappelle’s Block Party (9:16)
26. Reflection Eternal - “African Dream” - Train of Thought (4:10)
27. Black Star - “Definition” - Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star (3:27)
28. Lauryn Hill - “Lost Ones” - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (5:34)
29. Cecil Otter - “Sufficiently Breathless” - Rebel Yellow (3:34)
30. Madvillain - “Figaro” - Madvillainy (2:25)
31. J Dilla - “Love Movin’ f. Black Thought” - The Shining (3:35)
32. Jorge Ben - “Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma)” - Africa Brasil (3:52)
33. Monomono - “Tire Loma Da Negbehin” - The Dawn of Awareness (4:47)
34. Fela Kuti & the Africa 70 - “Fogo Fogo” - Afro Baby: The Evolution of Afro-Sound in Nigeria 1970-1979 (8:58)
35. Sir Victor Uwaifo & His Melody Maestros - “Akayan Ekassa” - Nigeria ’70 (3:10)
36. Koola Lobitos - “Ololufe Mi” - Koola Lobitos/The ’69 L.A. Sessions (5:19)

Total 2:32:16

12. KhanadaRhodes

Total Points: 118

Highest Ranking: 1st

worstnameeverx.jpg

because why not.

1. Steve Miller Band - "The Joker" - The Joker (3:38)
2. Journey - "Wheel In The Sky" - Infinity (4:12)
3. Split Enz - "Carried Away" - The Rootin Tootin Luton Tapes (4:38)
4. The Velvet Underground - "Heroin" - The Velvet Underground & Nico (7:13)
5. Iggy Pop - "China Girl" - The Idiot (5:08)
6. Lou Reed - "Perfect Day" - Transformer (3:46)
7. David Bowie - "TVC 15" - Station To Station (5:30)
8. Elton John - "Rocket Man" - Honky Château (4:41)
9. New Order - "True Faith" - Substance (5:53)
10. Lady Gaga - "So Happy I Could Die" - The Fame Monster (3:55)
11. INXS - "Elegantly Wasted" - Elegantly Wasted (4:33)
12. The Rolling Stones - "Mother's Little Helper" - Flowers (2:48)
13. Guns N' Roses - "Mr. Brownstone" - Appetite For Destruction (3:49)
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Knock Me Down" - Mother's Milk (3:45)
15. U2 - Bad - Rattle And Hum DVD (8:11)
16. Fleetwood Mac - "Gold Dust Woman" - Rumours (5:02)
17. Liam Finn - "Gather To The Chapel" - I'll Be Lightning (3:25)
18. Depeche Mode - "Barrel Of A Gun" - Ultra (5:32)
19. The Blow Monkeys - "Digging Your Scene" - Animal Magic (4:14)
20. George Michael & Elton John - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (5:49)
21. Crowded House - "Never Be The Same" - Temple Of Low Men (4:29)
22. Paul McCartney - "Uncle Albert" - Ram (4:55)
23. Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb" - The Wall (6:24)
24. Peter Gabriel - "Solsbury Hill" - Peter Gabriel 1: Car (4:22)
25. Duran Duran - "Perfect Day" - Thank You (3:51)
26. Elvis Presley - "Mystery Train" - I Forgot To Remember To Forget (2:26)
27. The Beach Boys - "Hang On To Your Ego" - Pet Sounds (Mono Version) (3:04)
28. The Doors - "The End" - The Doors (11:45)
29. Bruce Springsteen - "Jungleland" - Born To Run (9:35)
30. Santo & Johnny - "Sleep Walk" - Santo & Johnny (2:22)
31. Neil Young - "The Needle And The Damage Done" - Harvest (2:06)

Total runtime: 150:44

That list was GREAT driving music. Also the only list I've ever critiqued to the creator irl :wink:

Back
Top Bottom