Desert Island VII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, just got thru the McCartney song and I'm wondering what the source is on that? It sounds remastered to me, in comparison with the version I have that I believe came out in 1993? Maybe I'm just crazy, but that sounded really punchy in comparison. Anyway, loving this list so far.

It is indeed remastered. I took it from the Wingspan retrospective (sound quality is much better), but I still put the original album on the playlist for people who want to know what the original album was. When selecting a song I always try to look for a remastered version and a clean edit; sometimes the source is really a compilation.

Thankfully, the Daft Punk track was the beginning of this list reverting to its former quality. Bloc Party keeps on asserting themselves as a band I need to check out and this time around was no different. I didn't particularly care for the song by The Secret Machines, but it fit the vibe in this section. The section from We Were Promised Jet Packs to Dinosaur Jr. was all very, very high quality, and that's where I am right now.

Not too fond of the second half, Philly. Sorry, just not my thing. I did love the XX and Phoenix tracks but the rest of the tracks make me feel like I want to go to sleep. I have never been fond of that Radiohead track and those Okkervil River and Mogawi tracks don't anything for me either. But I really liked the David Bowie and LCD Soundsystem songs.

Not a too bad playlist, Philly. I really enjoyed the first half but not the second half as much. Great job! :)

Great job, Danny. especially given it's your first list. Thought it flowed really well, and overall had a great feel.

All that being said, I can't forgive you for that last part.

Great job, Danny. especially given it's your first list. Thought it flowed really well, and overall had a great feel.

All that being said, I can't forgive you for that last part.

thank you! :D

you really need to be drinking and partying to get into disc four, and that's probably not conductive to your current situation :lol:

The fact that your disc four started off with "California Love" made it for me, Danny. I fucking love that song. And Tupac, in general. Props for fitting him into your list.

Phanan's up next for me, and since I'm on my way to the gym, that means it's time to give it a spin.

OK, change of plans, just started a little while ago, up to It's My Life now. Wasn't sold on the first few tracks (save Solsbury of course) but ever since The Stone Roses this has been just fabulous. Of course, that should come as no surprise to anyone that I'd like it.

Some hit or miss after "America", but that jumped right back to great with "The Impression That I Get". Love that song.

Up to "Teardrop" now, obviously I like this song :wink:

Alrighty, Phanan. Overall, this was a way different list from you, and it was hit or miss for me. But win it hit, boy did it ever. I'm not completely sold on the way you ended the list, but overall it was a great soundtrack to cleaning the apartment ;).

Huh. That's one of my favourite of their songs. I suppose I don't mind whistling as much as you then. :)

I like whistling. It's just this song. I'm trying to remember now where I used to hear it all the time, but my memory has blocked it.

My thoughts thusfar. Is Love Forever is an average Spoon song from an average Spoon album. Certainly nothing wrong with that. Young Folks happens to be a great song, though I think it would have made a better opener. Muse and I have a love/hate relationship. Sometimes I'm supposed to love them, but I hate them. Other times I'm supposed to hate them, but I love them. In this case, I felt they were very out of place. The song is alright itself. And with Phoenix, you hit a homerun because, well, I used that song, too! :) The Hives transition from Phoenix was rough. Hate to Say I Told You So would be another song I'd think would have been better as an opener. Couldn't stand the song by The Rapture at all. Kinda painful, but hey, they can't all be crowd-pleasers! And then Planet Telex. Pretty good song, around average in the category of Radiohead. And Seven Nation Army is an obvious choice, though pleasing.

Okay, I really can't stand Snow Patrol, and that song by The Silversun Pickups did nothing for me. Also, I can't stand Sometime Around Midnight, and The XX really does nothing for me unless we're talking about Intro. Also, I've never gotten the hype around Vampire Weekend. So all in all, that section was very weak for me personally. Though I liked the 30 Seconds To Mars song. That band is a guilty pleasure for me. :) And onto the second half, On the Vine was pretty good, but I felt that it meandered at the end and I lost focus. Then How Soon Is Now. It's a classic track, but I have a love/hate relationship with it (thanks to Morrissey's vocals--not a fan). So I will put that song in the middle and not grade it harshly, because sometimes I really like it. And now The Verve. A band I don't really care for. Could have been a good song without the annoying vocal loop going on throughout.

Love Live Forever, and So Alive was pleasant. But wow, I hate that Aerosmith song. Frightened Rabbit were something I was thinking about looking into at one point, but now I'm glad I didn't. Really don't care for the singer's voice. Grounds For Divorce is wonderful, and Hot Cakes was pretty good. First Breath Out Of A Coma is glorious if not my thing. I used to like post rock more than I do now, I suppose.

Overall, not bad. Some highs, some lows. Decent flow in various places.

The list was interesting to listen to, but I didn't feel like much of anything went all that well together, just a great collection of songs. Congrats on making the HUTDAB of DI ;)

Andrew, I'd still say give their (frightened Rabbit's) new album a try, it's kind of awesome.

Okay, well I'll start by saying that this list is very AB. :) The track by eaststrikewest was pretty good, and the Pelican instrumental showed the rawk. Didn't really care for the 3rd song by the band with the name with the different characters. The song by We Were Promised Jetpacks was pretty epic, and I also liked the one by Controlling the Famous. But I don't like the one by This Town Needs Guns--I think it's because the singer's voice doesn't agree with me.

Back
Top Bottom