Desert Island VII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished this up a while ago.

Disc Three has lots of old favorites that sounded great together for the most part, although going from Walk On The Wild Side to Strawberry Swing was a bit off I felt. Loved hearing The Load Out and Stay; hadn't listened to that one in quite a while. Although I think it would have been better placed at the end of a disc (or side).

Your last disc was probably my least favorite. While I've always liked California Love, the next two songs were more annoying than anything else. And a special warning to anyone who will be listening - make sure you turn the volume down big time as California Love is ending, because that Warp 1.9 song is way too loud.

At the other end of the spectrum, I'd never heard that Bag Raiders song before and really liked it. And I'm glad someone else here digs Friendly Fires. That was a great album and didn't seem to get too much attention; the thread died a quick death. Throw in Rage and Outkast and it saved the disc to at least being decent, although not as good as the ones that preceded it.

So overall, a very impressive first DI outing for you. Lots of stuff that I've liked for a while, and some new things I hadn't heard before that were very good. Good stuff.

well thank you for the comments, phanan! a single version of So Haunted would have worked much better, yes. that's true.

glad someone picked up on the Boy From School/Southern Point combo too, i felt that it really worked well, and i was also playing on the fact that Grizzly Bear covered that very song.

the last disc i expected to get slaughtered for, so no worries there, relieved to hear there was another Friendly Fires fan out there.

the volume on Warp is really high, so sorry about that people, i didn't know how to fix it. you'll then have to turn it back up for the next song.

~

i finished your list as well; i wasn't a fan of the sequence from Jefferson Airplane > Simon & Garfunkel, that's just not really music i've ever been into. but apart from that, i dug it. plenty of new songs that were great, and the last ten or so songs, where it all became short, casual and fun was great.

Massive Attack>Madonna worked brilliantly i thought, and the Funkadelic/Sly&Family Stone combo was terrific.

Every list benefits from a bit of Daft Punk :drool:

just starting on your list, AB. i've not heard one song on it.

Thunder & Lightning might yet be the best song i've heard so far in this competition. that bit just before the end when it exploded anyway. woah

I've got a long drive this weekend, going to my cousin's son's baptism/christening thing (by the way, what do you call a cousin's kid? Is he just a cousin, or is there some other special word for it?) so I'm gonna make some CDs and get some good playlist listening in. Looking forward to it.

Going to start on Philly's playlist soon. School was leaving me swamped. But I will find some time to listen to these playlists that look great. Also I want to make sure there are no corrupt files for my playlist. Thank you.

Philly, I just finshed up with My Morning Jacket.

Thoughts: I am enjoying your playlist very much so far. It's a real treat. I like the choices of songs you picked. It think it all flows very well together.
There are many songs I like from these playlist so far but here are my favorites (naming the artist): My Morning Jacket, The Flaming Lips, Broken Social Scene, and Animal Collective. That being said there were a few songs I didn't care for. For whatever reason I have never been a Pavement or Interpol fan. Just not my thing. So other than that, great job so far! I can't wait to listen to the rest of the playlist...

Philly, I listened to songs 12-19. I loved Symphonies (Remix). Amazing lyrics. "The lights of the cars go by in a stream. It seems like I go pretty much unseen...give me, give me symphonies. Give me more than the life I see." I wish I wrote that. lol.

I was also impressed with the Franz track. Stellar electronic vibe at the end. I never thought of them as doing a techno song. I was impressed to see another side of them. I only own their self titled and it was great but there wasn't much variety between the tracks in my opinion. I know they know how to rock-out but I was starting to wonder if that's all they knew how to do.

I wasn't too impressed with the Gorillaz track, though. I love Blur but I could never get into the Gorillaz for some reason. More listening on the way...

Last couple of days were busier than normal at work, but I plan on listening to pfan and CIB's playlists on Monday and Tuesday.

I'm still sticking with the plan of releasing the third Master thread in a few days, so keep those playlists rolling...

Ten tracks in, absolutely loved the first four, enjoyed but was not enamored by the next five, and then you hit me with one of the few Pavement songs I love, and of course, "Gideon" is fantastic. So, pretty enjoyable so far.

Ok, sorry I didn't post too much. It was a very pleasant listen. Lots of kind of "deeper cuts" from some of these bands, which was a nice and interesting experience. Really liked the Phoenix track especially. My only "beef"? is you probably would've been better ending the list with LCD Soundsystem, but, eh, obviously you love Bowie, and it worked pretty well as a closer as well.

Anybody listen to my playlist yet? :wink: Any comments you to share? :wink: I am just curious because it has been more than a week already and there have been no comments on my playlist so far.

Ok, sorry I didn't post too much. It was a very pleasant listen. Lots of kind of "deeper cuts" from some of these bands, which was a nice and interesting experience. Really liked the Phoenix track especially. My only "beef"? is you probably would've been better ending the list with LCD Soundsystem, but, eh, obviously you love Bowie, and it worked pretty well as a closer as well.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I changed up the closer, I think the Bowie track was the last song I put on the list. But it worked well with "New York..." because they have very similar rhythms, and I think Rock n Roll Suicide is kind of the ultimate closing track in a lot of respects.

I feel like the only person who used a non-Wolfgang Phoenix cut this time around.

CIB, did you end up finishing my list?

Nah, I'm one list (COBL) into group two. I'll be listening to more midweek.

Oh, I see. You are going in chronological order. Cool. Just let me know what you think when you are done. Just please listen to mine before you start on batch 3. :up:

I've started PhilsFan's list. I've been horribly busy lately and his is the first list out of this group that I'll be listening to.

Anybody listen to my playlist yet? :wink: Any comments you to share? :wink: I am just curious because it has been more than a week already and there have been no comments on my playlist so far.
i'm halfway through AB's and then it's on to yours.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I changed up the closer, I think the Bowie track was the last song I put on the list. But it worked well with "New York..." because they have very similar rhythms, and I think Rock n Roll Suicide is kind of the ultimate closing track in a lot of respects.
i thought that worked really well.
Nah, I'm one list (COBL) into group two. I'll be listening to more midweek.

thoughts?

I'm currently in the middle of Part 1 of CIB's list.

It's tough starting out with that Spoon track because of how they purposely cut it off on the album; it doesn't really work within a playlist, but I can't argue with the song quality itself.

After that, however, you've got a great thing going here. I'm up to Snow Patrol and have liked everything so far. Of course, I have almost all of it, so being familiar with it doesn't hurt. A special shout out for including The Rapture; haven't heard them in a while, and that album was great.

Flow has been good so far as well. Too bad Planet Telex doesn't fade out completely, I love that song.

Part 1 done. The only thing I really didn't like was the end. Never cared for 30 Seconds To Mars. And while most others here really dig Vampire Weekend, I've never really gotten into them.

But other than that, strong playlist so far.

Back
Top Bottom