Desert Island VII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
I'm sending the second Master List thread out a few days early in case anyone wants to take advantage of hearing these over the weekend. Also, I plan on wrapping this up by the end of the month if possible. Here's the tentative schedule:

Master List, Part Three released - around April 12
Master List, Part Four released - around April 22
Rankings Due - April 28
Results Thread - late April 29

Obviously subject to change, but it will more or less be this.

Here's our next group. Links to follow shortly via PM.

PhilsFan

magnets_playlistcover.jpg

Magnets

1. The Flaming Lips – “Race for the Prize (Sacrifice of the New Scientists)” - The Soft Bulletin (4:09)
2. Animal Collective – “Fireworks” – Strawberry Jam (6:51)
3. Doves – “Kingdom of Rust” – Kingdom of Rust (5:12)
4. Arcade Fire – “(Antichrist Television Blues)” – Neon Bible (5:10)
5. Los Campesinos! – “In Medias Res” – Romance Is Boring (4:42)
6. Fruit Bats – “The Ruminant Band” – The Ruminant Band (3:21)
7. Interpol – “Roland” – Turn on the Bright Lights (3:36)
8. The White Stripes – “The Air Near My Fingers” – Elephant (3:40)
9. Broken Social Scene – “Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Day)” – Broken Social Scene (4:28)
10. Pavement – “Range Life” – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (4:11)
11. My Morning Jacket – “Gideon” – Z (3:30)
12. Franz Ferdinand – “Lucid Dreams” – Tonight: Franz Ferdinand (7:56)
13. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Y Control” – Fever to Tell (4:01)
14. Grizzly Bear – “Cheerleader” – Veckatimest (4:52)
15. Beach House – “Zebra” – Teen Dream (4:49)
16. Iron & Wine – “Boy with a Coin” – The Shepherd’s Dog (4:06)
17. Fleet Foxes – “Mykonos” – Sun Giant EP (4:35)
18. Gorillaz – “Empire Ants” – Plastic Beach (4:44)
19. Dan Black feat. Kid CuDi – “Symphonies (Remix)” – ((UN)) [US Edition] (3:43)
20. The xx – “Intro” – xx (2:08)
21. Phoenix – “Too Young” – United (3:20)
22. Broken Bells – “The High Road” – Broken Bells (3:52)
23. Okkervil River – “The War Criminal Rises and Speaks” – Down the River of Golden Dreams (5:11)
24. Radiohead – “Pyramid Song” – Amnesiac (4:47)
25. Sigur Rós – “Gong” – Takk… (5:34)
26. Mogwai – “I Know You Are But What Am I?” – Happy Songs for Happy People (5:17)
27. The National – “About Today” – Cherry Tree EP (4:11)
28. The Dead Weather – “Will There Be Enough Water?” – Horehound (6:20)
29. LCD Soundsystem – “New York, I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down” – Sound of Silver (5:35)
30. David Bowie – “Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide” – The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2:59)

Total Runtime – 2:16:33

cobl04

I was debating just how to go about this playlist, and in the end I divided 160 by four, and I got 40, which didn’t seem anywhere near as intimidating as 160. So I split my playlist into four albums, each with two sides, and each with a loose “theme” I suppose you could call it. I certainly haven’t been sitting on this for 18 months; as soon as I decided to enter I pretty much threw it all together. With regards to “flow” and “sequencing”, well I’ve tried to make it all sound good together and I think it all works pretty well. So please listen and comment!

Disc one here is all Australian. It includes a few more traditional and well-loved artists as well as some new stuff from a few that I’ve come to love quite recently. Includes Paul Dempsey, who IMO made the best album of ’09. Paul Kelly, this country’s answer to the songwriting craft of Bob Dylan, and 7 Worlds Collide, Neil Finn’s Oxfam charity album featuring the likes of Phil Selway, Johnny Marr and Jeff Tweedy among countless others.

Side A – 19:10
1. Cut Copy – “So Haunted” – In Ghost Colours (4:27)
2. Architecture in Helsinki – “Heart it Races” – Places Like This (3:15)
3. Paul Dempsey – “Bird in a Basement” – Everything is True (4:17)
4. Something for Kate – “Monsters” – Echolalia (3:40)
5. The Go-Betweens – “Streets of Your Town” – 16 Lovers Lane (3:33)
Side B – 22:31
6. Powderfinger – “The Metre” – Odyssey Number Five (4:33)
7. The Temper Trap – “Fader” – Conditions (3:12)
8. 7 Worlds Collide – “Girl Make Your Own Mind Up” – The Sun Came Out (5:30)
9. Augie March – “One Crowded Hour” – Moo, You Bloody Choir (3:50)
10. Paul Kelly – “How to Make Gravy” – Songs From The South, Vol. 1 (4:27)
Running time – 41:41

Disc two is a collection of songs by bands and artists that I have discovered almost exclusively through Interference, more so B&C.

Side C – 21:45
1. Passion Pit – “Make Light” – Manners (4:56)
2. Hot Chip – “And I Was A Boy From School” – The Warning (5:20)
3. Grizzly Bear – “Southern Point” – Veckatimest (5:00)
4. Radiohead – “Reckoner” – In Rainbows (4:50)
5. Brian Eno – “Another Green World” – Another Green World (1:42)
Side D – 20:28
6. The Flaming Lips – “Race for the Prize” – The Soft Bulletin (4:18)
7. Florence + The Machine – “Hurricane Drunk” – Lungs (3:13)
8. The Decemberists – “Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect” – Castaways and Cutouts (4:29)
9. Bloc Party – “So Here We Are” – Silent Alarm (3:53)
10. Los Campesinos! – “In Medias Res” – Romance is Boring (4:37)
Running time – 42:13

Disc three went through various incarnations, originally it was going to be atmospheric and instrumental, but I don’t have enough of that music, so I finally decided on just a list of chilled/laid back/acoustic songs which I really enjoy. Listening to it reminded me how good “Walk on the Wild Side” really is. “Fearless” is one of the great gems of Floyd’s back catalogue. Josh Pyke is an impressive Australian artist and “Northern Sky” refutes the myth that Nick Drake never saw the bright side of life.

Side E – 23:00
1. Steely Dan – “Black Cow” – Aja (5:10)
2. Lou Reed – “Walk on the Wild Side” – Transformer (4:17)
3. Coldplay – “Strawberry Swing” – Viva La Vida (4:10)
4. Pearl Jam – “Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town” – Vs. (3:16)
5. Pink Floyd – “Fearless” – Meddle (6:09)
Side F – 18:40
6. Jackson Browne – “The Load Out/Stay” – Running on Empty (9:00)
7. The Beatles – “Blackbird” – The Beatles (White Album) (2:20)
8. Josh Pyke – “The Lighthouse Song” – Memories & Dust (3:36)
9. Nick Drake – “Northern Sky” – Bryter Layter (3:46)
Running time – 41:40

This final disc is most likely what I’ll get slaughtered for, but I love it. It’s an assortment of tracks that I’ve enjoyed clubbing to over the past year, or listened to in order to get psyched before going out. I’ll add -- “The Festival Song” I think most of you all will dislike, but I love it to bits; we listened to it an insurmountable amount of times over the course of Pyramid Rock, an NYE festival, and its lyrics reflect that. “Warp” became probably the biggest club hit of 2009, and Art Vs. Science are a group to watch.

Side G – 15:31
1. 2Pac featuring Dr Dre – “California Love” – Greatest Hits (4:45)
2. The Bloody Beetroots ft. Steve Aoki – “Warp 1.9” – Romborama (3:23)
3. Art Vs. Science – “Parlez-Vous Francais?” – Art Vs. Science EP (3:33)
4. Rage Against the Machine – “Bulls on Parade” – Evil Empire (3:51)
Side H – 18:55
5. Friendly Fires – “Skeleton Boy” – Friendly Fires (3:56)
6. Bag Raiders – “Shooting Stars” – Shooting Stars EP (3:39)
7. Pez ft. 360 and Hailey Cramer – “The Festival Song” – A Mind of My Own (4:22)
8. OutKast – “Roses” – The Love Below (6:10)
9. Hamish & Andy – “Japanese Softball” – Unessential Listening (0:52)
Running time – 34:26

Overall running time – 2:40:00

phanan

musicexplosion.jpg

Music Explosion

1. Peter Gabriel – “Solsbury Hill” – Peter Gabriel (4.24)
2. The Strawbs – “Hero And Heroine” – Hero And Heroine (3.29)
3. Paul McCartney – “Too Many People” - Ram (4.13)
4. Wolf Parade – “Shine A Light” – Apologies To The Queen Mary (3.47)
5. Elbow – “Forget Myself” – Leaders Of The Free World (5.23)
6. My Morning Jacket – “Anytime” - Z (3.56)
7. The Stone Roses – “Made Of Stone” – The Stone Roses (4.15)
8. The Replacements – “Unsatisfied” – Let It Be (4.02)
9. Violent Femmes – “Kiss Off” – Violent Femmes (2.57)
10. Hoodoo Gurus – “Bittersweet” – Mars Needs Guitars (3.52)
11. The Smithereens – “Blood & Roses” – Especially For You (3.37)
12. The Animals – “It’s My Life” - Retrospective (3.09)
13. Jimi Hendrix – “Fire” – Are You Experienced (2.44)
14. Steppenwolf – “Born To Be Wild” - Steppenwolf (3.30)
15. Jefferson Airplane – “Somebody To Love” – Surrealistic Pillow (2.55)
16. The Move – “Flowers In The Rain” – The Move (2.22)
17. Roger Miller – “King Of The Road” – The Return Of Roger Miller (2.30)
18. Simon & Garfunkel – “America” – Bookends (3.37)
19. Van Morrison – “Into The Mystic” – Moondance (3.31)
20. Funkadelic – “Can You Get To That” – Maggot Brain (2.52)
21. Sly & The Family Stone – “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)” – Greatest Hits (4.48)
22. The Velvet Underground & Nico – “I’m Waiting For The Man” – The Velvet Underground & Nico (4.40)
23. The Clash – “Rudie Can’t Fail” – London Calling (3.29)
24. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – “The Impression That I Get” – Let’s Face It (3.15)
25. The Gaslight Anthem – “Film Noir” – The ’59 Sound (3.29)
26. The Roots – “The Seed (2.0)” - Phrenology (4.28)
27. TV On The Radio – “DLZ” – Dear Science (3.49)
28. Massive Attack – “Teardrop” - Mezzanine (5.31)
29. Madonna – “Drowned World/Substitute For Love” – Ray Of Light (5.12)
30. Fugees – “Ready Or Not” – The Score (3.49)
31. Daft Punk – “Around The World (Radio Edit)” – Musique Vol. 1 1993-2005 (3.59)
32. Bloc Party – “So Here We Are” – Silent Alarm (3.53)
33. The Secret Machines – “Nowhere Again” – Now Here Is Nowhere (4.16)
34. We Were Promised Jetpacks – “Quiet Little Voices” – These Four Walls (4.21)
35. Paper Route – “Carousel” - Absence (3.31)
36. The Lightning Seeds – “Pure” - Cloudcuckooland (3.47)
37. Catherine Wheel – “Strange Fruit” - Chrome (3.08)
38. Dinosaur Jr. – “Freak Scene” - Bug (3.37)
39. Matthew Sweet – “Sick Of Myself” – 100% Fun (3.39)
40. Split Enz – “History Never Repeats” – Corroboree (2.59)
41. Teenage Fanclub – “Don’t Look Back” – Grand Prix (3.44)
42. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart – “Stay Alive” – The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart (4.56)

Total Time: 1:59.25

Cute Irish Bono

asteroidhitsearth.jpg

The Rapture Of Sound

This is the Rapture of Music. This is music I would be listen to if I knew Armageddon was just around the corner. Supposedly, if the news said on TV that an enormous asteroid was about to strike the Earth is less than two days; I would crank this CD up to prepare me for the RAPTURE!!

PART 1:

1. Spoon – Is Love Forever? – Transference – 2:07
2. Peter Bjorn John – Young Folks – Writer’s Block – 4:39
3. Muse – Bliss – Origin of Symmetry – 4:13
4. Phoenix – 1901- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – 3:13
5. The Hives – Hate To Say I Told You So – Veni Vidi Vicious – 3:20
6. The Rapture – House of Jealous Lovers – Echoes – 5:05
7. Radiohead – Planet Telex – The Bends – 4:18
8. The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army – Elephant – 3:52
9. Snow Patrol – Open Your Eyes – Eyes Open – 5:41
10. Silversun Pickups –Growing Old is Getting Old– Swoon – 5:57
11. The Airborne Toxic Event – Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event – 5:07
12. The XX – Stars – The XX – 4:26
13. Vampire Weekend – Holiday – Contra – 2:21
14. 30 Seconds To Mars – Kings and Queens – This is War – 5:51

PART 2:

1. The Bigger Lovers – On the Vine – 3 Songs EP – 6:10
2. The Smiths – How Soon Is Now? - The Sound of the Smiths – 6:47
3. The Verve – Love is Noise – Forth – 5:28
4. Oasis – Live Forever – Definitely Maybe – 4:37
5. Ryan Adams – So Alive – Rock N Roll – 3:58
6. Aerosmith – I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing – Armageddon – 4:59
7. Frightened Rabbit – Head Rolls Off - The Midnight Organ Fight – 3:46
8. Elbow – Grounds For Divorce - The Seldom Seen Kid – 3:39
9. El Ten Eleven – Hot Cakes - Every Direction Is North – 2:42
10. Explosions In The Sky – First Breath After Coma - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place – 9:34

Total: 1:51:36

AtomicBono

100_0099.jpg

With Distance I See...

With this playlist I wanted to do two things. First, I really wanted to branch out from my usual artists and try to expose people to new music - 27 out of 35 artists I haven't used before. As usual, I also tried to have a good variety, so there's something for everyone. Secondly, I wanted to try to capture some of my personal experiences, particularly my current stay in Greece. Three artists (Movastro, Misuse, and Afformance) are Greek, two are from bands I've seen or am going to see in Athens (Misuse, Katatonia) and many other songs are ones I've been listening to a lot here. The album cover is a picture I took of the sea from the remains of a Venetian fortress in the Peloponnese. My hope is that my playlist is able to keep the listener's interest and evoke imagery of faraway places.

1. eaststrikewest - "Stumble" - w o l v v e s (5:27)
2. Pelican - "An Inch Above Sand" - What We Call Come To Need (4:15)
3. Μωβάστρο - "Στο ἀτειρο" - μἐρος Α᾽ (3:07)
4. We Were Promised Jetpacks - "It's Thunder And It's Lightning" - These Four Walls (4:49)
5. Controlling the Famous - "Detox" - Automatic City (2:26)
6. This Town Needs Guns - "Wanna Come Back to My Room and Listen to Some Belle and Sebastian?" - This Town Needs Guns (5:26)
7. Taking Back Sunday - "Cute Without The 'E' (Cut From The Team) [Acoustic]" - Tell All Your Friends (4:26)
8. Colonies - "Las Islas Malvinas" - Thirty Thousand (4:08)
9. Kittens Ablaze - "Strobelight" - The Monstrous Vanguard (4:12)
10. Phoenix - "Fences" - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (3:50)
11. Emery - "Studying Politics" - The Question (3:31)
12. Foals - "Electric Bloom" - Antidotes (4:55)
13. Crystal Castles - "Black Panther" - Crystal Castles (2:57)
14. Innerpartysystem - "Last Night In Brooklyn" - Innerpartysystem (4:21)
15. U2 - "Get On Your Boots (Fish Out Of Water Mix)" - Artificial Horizon (3:47)
16. Minus The Bear - "Pachuca Sunrise (Alias Remix)" - Interpretaciones Del Oso (4:19)
17. Jesu - "Wash It All Away" - Pale Sketches (5:22)
18. Fear Before the March of Flames - "Taking Cassandra to the End of the World Party" - The Always Open Mouth (2:44)
19. Brand New - "Welcome To Bangkok" - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me (3:06)
20. Mogwai - "Glasgow Mega-Snake" - Mr Beast (3:34)
21. The Twilight Sad - "Interrupted" - Forget The Night Ahead (4:00)
22. Latitudes - "Hunting Dance" - Agonist (7:10)
23. Becoming the Archetype - "Deep Heaven" - Dichotomy (4:37)
24. Pure Reason Revolution - "Deus Ex Machina" - Amor Vincit Omnia (5:41)
25. Have a Nice Life - "Bloodhail" - The Plow That Broke The Plains (5:40)
26. Katatonia - "Leaders" - The Great Cold Distance (4:21)
27. Misuse - "Made: Flat Line Evolution" - Misuse (8:04)
28. MuteMath - "Control" - MuteMath (4:39)
29. Giraffes? Giraffes! - "When The Catholic Girls Go Camping, The Nicotine Vampires Rule Supreme." - More Skin With Milk-Mouth (3:53)
30. Tides From Nebula - "Shall We?" - Aura (6:26)
31. Afformance - "Taming Waves/Riding Tigers" - A Glimpse To The Days That Pass (3:20)
32. As Cities Burn - "Contact" - Come Now Sleep (6:52)
33. Pleasant Grove - "Impossible" - The Art of Leaving (5:59)
34. Bloc Pary - "Blue Light (Engineers Anti-Gravity)" - Silent Alarm Remixed (2:59)
35. Ex Libras - "Underachiever" - Suite(s) (4:33)

Peef, I didn't know you liked Okkervil River, Sigur Ros, My Morning Jacket, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol and Iron & Wine! Not to get all Scumbo on you, but give some non-Random Music threads some love from time to time, would you? :wink:

Phanan, your list definitely looks like a change of pace for you. Kind of reminds me of my DI4 entry; a lot of classic rock radio staples here. Great MMJ pick, BTW. :up: Anytime is often overlooked but blows me away every time. And Teenage Fanclub is always good.

These look great! Phanan I LOVE your cover. I'm stoked to hear these. Still gotta listen to LM and liamcool from list one, but I plan on having those done by Monday.

I'll start back up on these again either tomorrow or Monday. The more homework I have, the more likely I am to listen to Di XD

just as an aside, the reason i split all four discs into two halves was because it gave me twice the number of opening songs and closing songs, and that's how i build my lists. the intention of my list is there is eight "opening" songs.

my goodness there are a lot of overlapping songs in this competition :lol:

I was trying to convey her assumed unattractiveness. But mostly I'm just too lazy to change the quote around.

halfway through your list, fillyphan. it's been pretty great so far :up: Race for the Prize was corrupt, but great way to kick off the list.

Fireworks was the best of the three Animal Collective tracks that i've so far in DI7.

The Interpol song was great, the Broken Social Scene song fantastic - is this epic, a million-things-going-on-at-once feeling a theme in their songs? - as was the Morning Jacket tune.

YYYs are catchy as hell and Cheerleader was a quiet achiever last year.

The Pavement song was the only one so far i can't say i've enjoyed.

Yeah, I just imported the list and Race For The Prize was indeed corrupt. Thankfully, I've got it already... but my question is whether it's the original version or the tamed down remix that was intended as the version to be used. The original version appears as, I believe, the 13th track on the US pressing and as the 1st track on the UK version.

it's very confusing that, i assumed it was the original (i don't know which pressing i have, there is i think 13 tracks, and the last three are 'Mokran' remixes of Race and Superman, and then Buggin'). i used the opening track.

finished your list, it was great. it's going to be hard rating these lists, but yours would be somewhere near the top at the moment.

Iron & Wine song was very enjoyable, Empire Ants might yet be the best Gorillaz song out, The xx was an album i never ended up getting around to, but i loved Intro and i quite liked how the list got all introspective and piano-laden from then on. Sigur Ros are a band i've always ignored, but i thought Gong was great.

New York... sounds like it could have been written eons ago by one of your country's esteemed songwriters (and I've just discovered the actual All My Friends is over 7 minutes!) and i knew you were obsessed with Ziggy's last hurrah.

well done.

Currently listening to AB's list. I'm about halfway through.

The start was awesome. The first four songs went together very well (except for Pelican being slightly abrupt). Of course, it didn't hurt that I knew three of them and like them all, but the third track, which I hadn't heard before, was excellent.

Then it drifted through many songs I didn't know, some I liked, some I didn't. I really dug that Crystal Castles tune, and using the Get On Your Boots remix was a good call. And you have Jesu on here - bonus points for that. In fact, the stretch from Black Panther to Wash It All Away was almost as good as the beginning foursome.

Up to Mogwai now. Always good to hear them.

Did not realize that Race for the Prize was corrupt, I'll have to try and re-upload that one. I was using the original one, not the remix. And yeah, The Soft Bulletin is an incredibly confusing tracklist.

Finished up AB's entry. I quite enjoyed that. I'd say the first half was stronger, but there were still good nuggets to be found. I really like that Shall We? song; I'll have to search out Tides From Nebula more. I'm glad you included a PRR track, and it's one of their best as well. Again, some songs I didn't care for, such as the Giraffes? Giraffes! cut, but overall this was a great listen.

i've begun on your submission, phanan!

My Morning Jacket seem to me to be a band i should check out. thoroughly enjoyed the two songs i've heard so far.

Solsbury Hill is a song i've unknowingly known for years.

and hey! there are good Hoodoo Gurus songs! :yippie:

Ok, I'm working through cobl's list today.

I've listened to the first two discs so far. The first one (Australian) starts abruptly with So Haunted, since the song is sandwiched in between two tracks that go right into it, which makes using it for compiling purposes a bit tough. I believe there is a single version of it available that would have worked better here.

But apart from that minor quibble, I liked a lot of the material here, most of which I hadn't heard before. That 7 Worlds Collide track was excellent. The only other song I knew from this group was Streets Of Your Town, which is a classic.

More familiar territory for Disc 2, obviously, but good nonetheless. When I first noticed that you had Grizzly Bear following Hot Chip, my first thought was that it would sound awkward, but I'll be damned if it didn't flow perfectly together. Nice transition there. Still don't really care for Los Campesinos! though. The Flaming Lips are ok but not a favorite of mine, as most are already aware of.

Moving on...

Back
Top Bottom