Desert Island VII Master List, Part Two - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
CIB you're up next!
Well, I hope you enjoy my playlist!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Well, if I don't get TOO overwhelmed with homework, Danny's list will be tonight.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #78
45:33

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Irish Bono View Post
Well, I hope you enjoy my playlist!
i did! i enjoyed the brevity as well. 160 minutes is a fairly big slab of time

the first six tracks were seamless. i've loved everything i've heard of The Hives - Walk Idiot Walk being my favourite track.

Muse i've just never "got".

for both parts i really enjoyed the first halves, the second halves not as much. that was not a Smiths track i'd heard before; it was great. i love Morrissey's vocals.

i also loved Love is Noise when it came out.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Listening to pfan's today since I never got to it yesterday. Damn leaks.

And if I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was an Impy playlist.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

I'm about halfway through this.

It's going as I thought it would. On paper, there are artists here I really love (Doves, Arcade Fire, White Stripes, My Morning Jacket, etc.) and others less so (Flaming Lips, Los Campesinos!, Fruit Bats, etc.). But the good songs are awesome, so that obviously lends this some serious weight.

As for flow and continuity, it seems a bit choppy in places, but overall not too bad. I hadn't heard Lucid Dreams in a while - with all of the LCD listening yesterday, I couldn't help but think that pairing Lucid Dreams with an LCD track would sound incredible. Must try that next time.

Just finished Yeah Yeah Yeahs...
Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i did! i enjoyed the brevity as well. 160 minutes is a fairly big slab of time

the first six tracks were seamless. i've loved everything i've heard of The Hives - Walk Idiot Walk being my favourite track.

Muse i've just never "got".

for both parts i really enjoyed the first halves, the second halves not as much. that was not a Smiths track i'd heard before; it was great. i love Morrissey's vocals.

i also loved Love is Noise when it came out.
Yeah, 160 minutes is so much time. It also means more time for downloading, writing out the playlist, etc. Maybe I'll find more time next time. But on the other hand, I like that my playlist is short and sweet. : Did you like that Bigger Lovers track (the first song on Part 2)? I am happy you enjoyed it.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

I had a meeting here at work that interrupted my pfan listening party, but I'm back at it now.

Nice sequence from Zebra -> Empire Ants. Good Iron & Wine pick, one of my faves from that album. And the beginning of Empire Ants (in terms of the edit) wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Another volume heads up though. My ears almost got blown off when Symphonies started. Good thing I still have quick reflexes.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Finished a while ago. Final thoughts:

Great pick for Phoenix. Awesome song.

A few rough transitions from Okkervil River to Radiohead and Sigur Rós to Mogwai, although I commend you for adding a little post-rock flavor to the mix. A nice changeup.

About Today sounded great immediately after. That 1-2 combo was pretty cool.

You ended with a Bowie song that I actually don't mind.

Very good list overall. The few rough patches I hit were nullified by strong songs and some good sequences here and there. I do think your last playlist was a bit better though, but that's just me.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, I'm going to be getting the third Master List thread up, but I encourage everyone who hasn't listened to playlists in either this or Group 1 to continue to comment.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

I paid very little to no mind to the immediate transitions on this list. The only transitions I thought about were how the songs sounded overall next to each other. I was mostly focused on the songs though. Glad you enjoyed it.

I intended to continue listening to group two this week, but that's just going to be impossible until Sunday at the earliest.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Starting Phanan's list. Wow. A Peter Gabriel song that I like? Holy shit. I think something is wrong with the world. I know I've heard this song before but I'm not sure. I think maybe a movie? I'm going to have to look that up now.

ETA: Vanilla Sky and In Good Company
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Okay, just got thru the McCartney song and I'm wondering what the source is on that? It sounds remastered to me, in comparison with the version I have that I believe came out in 1993? Maybe I'm just crazy, but that sounded really punchy in comparison. Anyway, loving this list so far.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

All right, time to comment some more. Wolf Parade, Elbow, and My Morning Jacket were stellar together. And you really can't go wrong with The Stone Roses. The Replacements song was pretty good, too. I've never been a fan of The Violent Femmes, but that song wasn't as offensive as some of their others. And now I'm on Hoodoo Gurus. This track made me laugh. The reason? This song was on an MVP Baseball game I had for the XBox. I can't remember if it was '04 or '05, but I played the hell out of that game and very much remember this song.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, after a break, I got back to this. The song by The Smithereens was alright, but a bit forgettable amid its surroundings. The next four songs went together wonderfully and are up there with the classics. A really great segment, for sure. But I didn't really care for the tracks by The Move and Roger Miller which followed. One never can go wrong with a good Simon and Garfunkel track, and although America isn't one of my favourites, it's pretty good.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

After Simon and Garfunkel, the Van Morrison track. It was pretty good and fit in with the feel from Simon and Garfunkel, and then Funkadelic was a good transition. But I really didn't care for what it transitioned into at all. That song by Sly and the Family Stone was not meant for me. But I like that Velvet Underground song. It's the only Velvet Underground song I've heard that I liked so far. And after that was The Clash, and I didn't care for that song. In fact, that began a section that I didn't particularly care for, though the Mighty Mighty Bosstones song reminded me of high school. And Teardrop presents itself again.... I have a strange inclination to watch a House DVD, thanks to Desert Island VII. Currently I'm on Daft Punk, and I'm hoping they'll take this list out of the section I don't particularly care for....

Tags
desert island