Desert Island VII Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished this up. The whole thing was a quick and easy listen, clocking in at only around 108 minutes. A bit on the short side, but still good.

Part 2, in my mind, wasn't as good as Part 1. There were a few things I didn't care for, starting with the very first song. Just wasn't my thing. And I've never liked Ryan Adams, although this cut was certainly better than others I've heard. Finally, and I'm sure you'll be expecting this, but while I like Aerosmith probably more than most people here (especially their earlier stuff), you picked the one song I detest the most from them.

Having said that, the rest of it was excellent. Oasis, Frightened Rabbit, Elbow, The Smiths, etc. - all first rate. First Breath After Coma actually worked well as the closer. It gets cut off because of how it is on the album, but the sudden stop does better here as the last song. The track before it didn't really go with it very well, but it was great. I don't know much about El Ten Eleven, but I'll have to dig into their music a bit more. I liked what I heard.

It's been a while since you submitted something for DI, but I think this is the best you've done so far. You still have a few misses as far as I'm concerned, and a few things could have been sequenced a bit better, but overall, it was a great listen.

thoughts?
Sorry, I thought I'd written them already.

I really enjoyed the discs you'd think I'd enjoy: two and three. Wasn't too into discs one and four, but I guess that's mostly because I'm just not into those particular sounds as much. My friends are big club music guys and would enjoy disc four, but me ... not so much. There were a few tracks on each of those discs I did like, though, don't get me wrong. It was just up and down. For example, I really like California Love, but Warp 1.9 was one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Just not all my taste.

And overall it was assembled in ways that made sense. Solid effort.

Picking up on PhilsFan's list where I left off yesterday. Thoughts so far:

Race for the Prize is one of my favourite songs. Not just by The Flaming Lips, but overall. Especially because I listened to the original version of it since the one included was corrupted. Moving on, though, I didn't care as much for the Animal Collective track. I think I was right in knowing I wouldn't as it's pre MPP. Doves, again, are a band I need to check out and this pushed me again in that direction. The song by Arcade Fire, however, was more proof that they're another band I don't really care for that a lot of people seem to love (just like R.E.M., for that matter). Los Campesinos! are a band I gave a chance once upon a time but decided against persuing; the music is excellent, but the vocals did nothing for me. The track by Fruit Bats was pleasant enough that I may look into revisiting them at some point. Never cared much for interpol and the White Stripes track you used has never stood out for me. Neither Broken Social Scene nor Pavement did much for me, for the good or the bad--they were just there for me. But wow, I loved the My Morning Jacket track, and MMJ->Beach House was a very, very strong portion. I'm up to Fleet Foxes now, which I personally felt would have gone very well next to MMJ. So far, so good. Some hits, some misses, just like everyone else's.

It's been a while since you submitted something for DI, but I think this is the best you've done so far. You still have a few misses as far as I'm concerned, and a few things could have been sequenced a bit better, but overall, it was a great listen.

Thank you so much. :) I have felt too that this the best work I have submitted so far. I have been embracing indie music more and more which is good to expand my musical horizons. I really do appreicate hearing those kind words because I put extra prep time (4 months in advance) into this playlist, constructing it, choosing songs, flow, etc. I can now see how my hard work has paid off. :)

I am happy you enjoyed it as well. Yeah, you should look into El Ten Eleven's music more. This goes for everyone, they are a great experiemental band.

Alright, plowing on with PhilsFan's list:

Usually I dislike anything that Damon Albarn touches. I'm no fan of Blur, nor the Gorillaz songs I'd thusfar. So I was expecting a big "MEH!" from me when I noticed it was next. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the song. The Dan Black featuring Kid CuDi track was alright, but didn't jump out at me really. Intro is my favourite song by The XX. Good stuff there. And Phoenix is always good. That Broken Bells song is pretty solid as well. However, I dislike Okkervil River. But hey, then there's Radiohead and that's one of their better songs from that album. Sugar Rose (as I call them since I'm an ignorant, lazy American) is hit or miss with me, but this was a hit. There have been a few songs on this list where I normally don't care about the artist but your particular picks go against the grain for them. Mogwai was pleasant but forgettable, and I felt the track by The National was a weaker track from their generally strong discography. Then again, I've only heard their most recent two album (not including that one that hasn't come out yet). The Dead Weather song left me kind of cold. And the LCD Soundsystem song just began.

Onto cobble's list. Interesting concept, for sure. Started off strong with So Haunted, and the tracks by Paul Dempsey and Temper Trap were pretty good. However, I didn't care for Architecture In Helsinki, The Go Betweens or Paul Kelly at all. So pretty much after the first section, I'm very neutral on the list. But neutral means at least there's as much I like as dislike, right? :wink:

someone mentioned Paul Dempsey :love:

Sorry, I thought I'd written them already.

I really enjoyed the discs you'd think I'd enjoy: two and three. Wasn't too into discs one and four, but I guess that's mostly because I'm just not into those particular sounds as much. My friends are big club music guys and would enjoy disc four, but me ... not so much. There were a few tracks on each of those discs I did like, though, don't get me wrong. It was just up and down. For example, I really like California Love, but Warp 1.9 was one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Just not all my taste.

And overall it was assembled in ways that made sense. Solid effort.

cool cheers :up:

didn't think there'd be too many fans of Warp here :wink:

Been able to get through Pfan's, Tourist's, Impster's, and ElMel's lists thus far. Sorry for the glacial pace, I think at this point, I'll keep write-ups for the very end.

Alrighty, Cobbler:

I liked the Passion Pit->Radiohead segment. Two of those are excellent and two are pretty good. Didn't care for the little ambience of Eno, though. As before with PFan, I love Race For The Prize with a serious passion. But I really didn't like The Decemberists at all. Bloc Party was nice, and that Los Campesinos! song grew on me a bit (having first listened to it in PFan's list). All in all, that section was very good. Slightly better than the first one.

But then the 3rd list started off by losing me completely. I can say for sure that I do not care for Steely Dan, Lou Reed, Jackson Brown, or Nick Drake. I did like the Coldplay, Pearl Jam, and Beatles songs from the section, though (which is unsurprising as I am very familiar with all of those songs). And the 4th started out very rough. I'm not a hip-hop fan. There is a very small amount that I like, but not too much at all. So the beginning up through Rage Against The Machine didn't mesh with my taste at all. Friendly Fires and Bag Raiders were a nice surprise--something I liked quite a bit but hadn't heard before. And then there was OutKast, and though I just got finished saying I'm not a fan of hip-hop, I love that song.

All in all, a solid effort on your first list!

thanks for listening. it is really interesting to see so many differing opinions on the same songs.

as for Race for the Prize, well. i fell in love with it immediately.

i was pretty happy with the Make Light>Boy From School>Southern Point>Reckoner sequence.

well i've finished your list Atomic Bono.

there were a few tracks i really enjoyed - It's Thunder and It's Lightning was the standout, Fences, a few others (the GOYB remix was pretty good!) - but apart from those i really disliked your list i have to say; i've never been into some of the genres you used, in particular death metal. i just think it's horrid. from about The Twilight Sad through to Pleasant Grove was really laborious.

CIB you're up next!

I'll hopefully get to pfan's today, in between BSS and LCD listens.

Those leaks will probably hurt the DI listening, unfortunately. Still going to stay on schedule though. I plan on doing the next thread either today or tomorrow.

Well, I hope you enjoy my playlist! :)

i did! i enjoyed the brevity as well. 160 minutes is a fairly big slab of time :lol:

the first six tracks were seamless. i've loved everything i've heard of The Hives - Walk Idiot Walk being my favourite track.

Muse i've just never "got".

for both parts i really enjoyed the first halves, the second halves not as much. that was not a Smiths track i'd heard before; it was great. i love Morrissey's vocals.

i also loved Love is Noise when it came out.

I'm about halfway through this.

It's going as I thought it would. On paper, there are artists here I really love (Doves, Arcade Fire, White Stripes, My Morning Jacket, etc.) and others less so (Flaming Lips, Los Campesinos!, Fruit Bats, etc.). But the good songs are awesome, so that obviously lends this some serious weight.

As for flow and continuity, it seems a bit choppy in places, but overall not too bad. I hadn't heard Lucid Dreams in a while - with all of the LCD listening yesterday, I couldn't help but think that pairing Lucid Dreams with an LCD track would sound incredible. Must try that next time.

Just finished Yeah Yeah Yeahs...

i did! i enjoyed the brevity as well. 160 minutes is a fairly big slab of time :lol:

the first six tracks were seamless. i've loved everything i've heard of The Hives - Walk Idiot Walk being my favourite track.

Muse i've just never "got".

for both parts i really enjoyed the first halves, the second halves not as much. that was not a Smiths track i'd heard before; it was great. i love Morrissey's vocals.

i also loved Love is Noise when it came out.

Yeah, 160 minutes is so much time. It also means more time for downloading, writing out the playlist, etc. Maybe I'll find more time next time. But on the other hand, I like that my playlist is short and sweet. : Did you like that Bigger Lovers track (the first song on Part 2)? I am happy you enjoyed it. :)

I had a meeting here at work that interrupted my pfan listening party, but I'm back at it now.

Nice sequence from Zebra -> Empire Ants. Good Iron & Wine pick, one of my faves from that album. And the beginning of Empire Ants (in terms of the edit) wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Another volume heads up though. My ears almost got blown off when Symphonies started. Good thing I still have quick reflexes.

Finished a while ago. Final thoughts:

Great pick for Phoenix. Awesome song.

A few rough transitions from Okkervil River to Radiohead and Sigur Rós to Mogwai, although I commend you for adding a little post-rock flavor to the mix. A nice changeup.

About Today sounded great immediately after. That 1-2 combo was pretty cool.

You ended with a Bowie song that I actually don't mind.

Very good list overall. The few rough patches I hit were nullified by strong songs and some good sequences here and there. I do think your last playlist was a bit better though, but that's just me.

I paid very little to no mind to the immediate transitions on this list. The only transitions I thought about were how the songs sounded overall next to each other. I was mostly focused on the songs though. Glad you enjoyed it.

I intended to continue listening to group two this week, but that's just going to be impossible until Sunday at the earliest.

Starting Phanan's list. Wow. A Peter Gabriel song that I like? Holy shit. I think something is wrong with the world. I know I've heard this song before but I'm not sure. I think maybe a movie? I'm going to have to look that up now.

ETA: Vanilla Sky and In Good Company

Okay, just got thru the McCartney song and I'm wondering what the source is on that? It sounds remastered to me, in comparison with the version I have that I believe came out in 1993? Maybe I'm just crazy, but that sounded really punchy in comparison. Anyway, loving this list so far.

All right, time to comment some more. Wolf Parade, Elbow, and My Morning Jacket were stellar together. And you really can't go wrong with The Stone Roses. The Replacements song was pretty good, too. I've never been a fan of The Violent Femmes, but that song wasn't as offensive as some of their others. And now I'm on Hoodoo Gurus. This track made me laugh. The reason? This song was on an MVP Baseball game I had for the XBox. I can't remember if it was '04 or '05, but I played the hell out of that game and very much remember this song.

Alright, after a break, I got back to this. The song by The Smithereens was alright, but a bit forgettable amid its surroundings. The next four songs went together wonderfully and are up there with the classics. A really great segment, for sure. But I didn't really care for the tracks by The Move and Roger Miller which followed. One never can go wrong with a good Simon and Garfunkel track, and although America isn't one of my favourites, it's pretty good.

After Simon and Garfunkel, the Van Morrison track. It was pretty good and fit in with the feel from Simon and Garfunkel, and then Funkadelic was a good transition. But I really didn't care for what it transitioned into at all. That song by Sly and the Family Stone was not meant for me. :) But I like that Velvet Underground song. It's the only Velvet Underground song I've heard that I liked so far. And after that was The Clash, and I didn't care for that song. In fact, that began a section that I didn't particularly care for, though the Mighty Mighty Bosstones song reminded me of high school. And Teardrop presents itself again.... I have a strange inclination to watch a House DVD, thanks to Desert Island VII. Currently I'm on Daft Punk, and I'm hoping they'll take this list out of the section I don't particularly care for....

Back
Top Bottom