Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Ok, we're ready for Part 3.

Doesn't look like we'll be ready for the results thread by the end of the month; I think quite a few people have been busy lately and haven't had a chance to listen to as many playlists, which is fine. We're certainly in no rush here. I think now we will tentatively go with the following:

Master List, Part Four released - around April 28
Rankings Due - May 7
Results Thread - late May 12

Still subject to change of course.

Here's our next group. Links to follow shortly via PM.

onebloodonelife

1290590_4a4545e7bc_b.jpg

An Ode to the Beat

This is my love letter to the rhythm, the drum, the boom bap, the headnodders, and the art of moving butts. For me, the beat embodies the very essence of humanity: radiant, militant, grimy and rough around the edges, arresting, strong, resilient, flexible, breathtaking, circular (and intertextual, which I attempted to represent overtly with the K’naan/Koola Lobitos versions of “Ololufe Mi”—making the list literally come around full circle—as well as the D’Angelo/M.anifest versions of “Africa,” among others). At its best, the beat disturbs my heart rate.

Don’t like it? Well, like P.O.S. says, “we make our own and if they don’t feel it/Then we are not for them (and that’s cool).” But, here’s to hoping something takes you over in the same way as the beat which regularly engulfs me.

1. K’naan - “Ololufe Mi (Fela Tribute)” - The Messengers (4:00)
2. African Head Charge - “Drumming is a Language” - Vision of a Psychedelic Africa (4:03)
3. Madlib - “Blackfire” - Madlib Medicine Show No. 3: Beat Konducta in Africa (1:51)
4. The Souljazz Orchestra - “Agbara” - Rising Sun (4:58)
5. Dessa - “The Bullpen” - A Badly Broken Code (2:36)
6. Atmosphere - “The Things That Hate Us” - Strictly Leakage (2:55)
7. F. Stokes and Lazerbeak - “Soul Clap” - Death of a Handsome Bride (3:07)
8. Fashawn - “Freedom” - Boy Meets World (3:07)
9. Nas - “The World is Yours” - Illmatic (4:51)
10. Femi Kuti - “Missing Link f. Common” - Fight to Win (7:18)
11. Gil Scott-Heron - “Brother” - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised (1:45)
12. Nneka - “From Africa 2 U” - No Longer At Ease (3:53)
13. Bokoor Band - “Maya Gari” - Bokoor Beats (2:54)
14. Orchestra Baobab - “Kelen Ati” - African Pearls: Senegal ’70 Musical Effervescence (3:39)
15. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - “War” - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (2:51)
16. BK-One w/Benzilla - “Tema Do Canibal f. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble” - Rádio Do Canibal (3:26)
17. P.O.S. - “Stand Up (Let’s Get Murdered)” - Audition (3:16)
18. N.W.A. - “Express Yourself” - Straight Outta Compton (4:25)
19. A Tribe Called Quest - “Ham ‘N’ Eggs” - People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm (5:30)
20. The Pharcyde - “Somethin’ That Means Somethin’” - Labcabincalifornia (3:31)
21. D’Angelo - “Africa” - Voodoo (6:14)
22. M.anifest - “D’Angelo Said (Africa Re-Fix)” - The Birds and the Beats (3:32)
23. The Fugees - “Refugees on the Mic” - Blunted on Reality (4:58)
24. The Roots - “Double Trouble” - Things Fall Apart (5:51)
25. Mos Def - “Umi Says” - Dave Chappelle’s Block Party (9:16)
26. Reflection Eternal - “African Dream” - Train of Thought (4:10)
27. Black Star - “Definition” - Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star (3:27)
28. Lauryn Hill - “Lost Ones” - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (5:34)
29. Cecil Otter - “Sufficiently Breathless” - Rebel Yellow (3:34)
30. Madvillain - “Figaro” - Madvillainy (2:25)
31. J Dilla - “Love Movin’ f. Black Thought” - The Shining (3:35)
32. Jorge Ben - “Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma)” - Africa Brasil (3:52)
33. Monomono - “Tire Loma Da Negbehin” - The Dawn of Awareness (4:47)
34. Fela Kuti & the Africa 70 - “Fogo Fogo” - Afro Baby: The Evolution of Afro-Sound in Nigeria 1970-1979 (8:58)
35. Sir Victor Uwaifo & His Melody Maestros - “Akayan Ekassa” - Nigeria ’70 (3:10)
36. Koola Lobitos - “Ololufe Mi” - Koola Lobitos/The ’69 L.A. Sessions (5:19)

Total 2:32:16

KhanadaRhodes

worstnameeverx.jpg

because why not.

1. Steve Miller Band - "The Joker" - The Joker (3:38)
2. Journey - "Wheel In The Sky" - Infinity (4:12)
3. Split Enz - "Carried Away" - The Rootin Tootin Luton Tapes (4:38)
4. The Velvet Underground - "Heroin" - The Velvet Underground & Nico (7:13)
5. Iggy Pop - "China Girl" - The Idiot (5:08)
6. Lou Reed - "Perfect Day" - Transformer (3:46)
7. David Bowie - "TVC 15" - Station To Station (5:30)
8. Elton John - "Rocket Man" - Honky Château (4:41)
9. New Order - "True Faith" - Substance (5:53)
10. Lady Gaga - "So Happy I Could Die" - The Fame Monster (3:55)
11. INXS - "Elegantly Wasted" - Elegantly Wasted (4:33)
12. The Rolling Stones - "Mother's Little Helper" - Flowers (2:48)
13. Guns N' Roses - "Mr. Brownstone" - Appetite For Destruction (3:49)
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Knock Me Down" - Mother's Milk (3:45)
15. U2 - Bad - Rattle And Hum DVD (8:11)
16. Fleetwood Mac - "Gold Dust Woman" - Rumours (5:02)
17. Liam Finn - "Gather To The Chapel" - I'll Be Lightning (3:25)
18. Depeche Mode - "Barrel Of A Gun" - Ultra (5:32)
19. The Blow Monkeys - "Digging Your Scene" - Animal Magic (4:14)
20. George Michael & Elton John - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (5:49)
21. Crowded House - "Never Be The Same" - Temple Of Low Men (4:29)
22. Paul McCartney - "Uncle Albert" - Ram (4:55)
23. Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb" - The Wall (6:24)
24. Peter Gabriel - "Solsbury Hill" - Peter Gabriel 1: Car (4:22)
25. Duran Duran - "Perfect Day" - Thank You (3:51)
26. Elvis Presley - "Mystery Train" - I Forgot To Remember To Forget (2:26)
27. The Beach Boys - "Hang On To Your Ego" - Pet Sounds (Mono Version) (3:04)
28. The Doors - "The End" - The Doors (11:45)
29. Bruce Springsteen - "Jungleland" - Born To Run (9:35)
30. Santo & Johnny - "Sleep Walk" - Santo & Johnny (2:22)
31. Neil Young - "The Needle And The Damage Done" - Harvest (2:06)

Total runtime: 150:44

The Sad Punk

CPVER.jpg

A man dreams himself into the real world and doesn't wake up.

1. Seun Kuti – “Many Things” – Many Things (8:03)
2. Charles Mingus – “Freedom” – Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (5:10)
3. Air – “Le Voyage de Penelope” – Moon Safari (3:12)
4. JJ – “Masterplan” – JJ no 2 (2:49)
5. De La Soul – “Eye Know” – 3 Feet High and Rising (4:13)
6. The Staple Singers – “Let’s Do It Again” – Let’s Do It Again (4:51)
7. Curtis Mayfield – “Freddie’s Dead [Single Mix” – Superfly (3:17)
8. Sylvester – “I Took My Strength From You” – The Rare Bacharach (6:57)
9. Lambchop – “You Masculine You” – Nixon (5:59)
10. Elliot Smith – “Everything Means Nothing To Me” – Figure 8 (2:24)
11. M83 – “Couleurs” – Saturdays=Youth (8:35)
12. Passion Pit – “Eyes As Candles” – Manners (4:04)
13. The Sleepy Jackson – “I Understand What You Want But I Just Don’t Agree” – Personality (One Was a Spider, One Was a Bird) (3:19)
14. Hercules & Love Affair – “You Belong” – Hercules & Love Affair (4:12)
15. James Murphy and Pat Mahoney –“Love Has Come Around” – Fabric Live 36 (4:46)
16. Happy Mondays – “Dennis and Lois” – Pills ‘n’ Thrills and Bellyaches (4:25)
17. The Juan MacLean – “One Day” – The Future Will Come (4:17)
18. Beirut – “My Wife, Lost In The Wild” – Holland EP (3:13)
19. Pinback – “Microtonic Wave” – Offcell EP (4:58)
20. Atlas Sound with Laetitia Sadier – “Quick Canal” – Logos (8:38)
21. Girls – “Headache” – Album (4:00)
22. The National – “Looking For Astronauts” – Alligator (3:23)
23. The Beach Boys – “Let’s Go Away For A While” – Pet Sounds (2:21)
24. The Mountain Goats – “Dilaudid” – The Sunset Tree (2:10)
25. Paul McCartney – “Waterfalls” – McCartney II (3:25)

Total Time: 1:52:31

Joey788

Disc 1: Afterhours

nightclubg.jpg

A night out on the town turns into an exercise in decadence in every way. Responsibility is thrown out the window as a poor decision leads to a man drowning in vodka shots, heavy bass, and strobe lights. By the time the night's over, he crawls out into the city sidewalk and brings a long journey home.

Tracklisting:
01. Nine Inch Nails - "The Four Of Us Are Dying" - The Slip (4:37)
02. The Horrors - "Who Can Say" - Primary Colors (3:42)
03. Gorillaz - "Stylo" - Plastic Beach (4:30)
04. Beck - "Youthless" - Modern Guilt (2:59)
05. Thom Yorke - "The Clock" - The Eraser (4:13)
06. Crystal Castles - "Knights" - Crystal Castles (3:13)
07. La Roux - "Bulletproof" - La Roux (3:28)
08. Deerhunter - "Lake Somerset" - Cryptograms (3:49)
09. Crocodiles - "Summer of Hate" - Summer of Hate (3:32)
10. Muse - "Undisclosed Desires" - The Resistance (3:56)
11. Rage Against The Machine - "Settle For Nothing" - Rage Against The Machine (4:48)
12. Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse (featuring The Flaming Lips) - "Revenge" - Dark Night of the Soul (4:52)

Disc 2: Hungover Remnants

SunGlare2-BPSPP-Ed.jpg

The man wakes up at home that afternoon with a splitting headache, a sick feeling in his stomach, and few memories of last night's festivities. Throughout the day, only pieces come back to him. Some good, some bad. By the end of the day, he looks at the past events with regret.

01. Metallica - "Damage Inc." - Master of Puppets (5:31)
02. Alice in Chains - "All Secrets Known" - Black Gives Way To Blue (4:43)
03. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Torture Me" - Stadium Arcadium (3:44)
04. Nirvana - "Dumb" - In Utero (2:32)
05. Opeth - "Windowpane" - Damnation (7:45)
06. U2 - "Bad" - The Unforgettable Fire (6:09)
07. Coldplay - "Don't Panic" - Parachutes (2:17)
08. Interpol - "NYC" - Turn On The Bright Lights (4:20)
09. Radiohead - "Nude" - In Rainbows (4:15)
10. St. Vincent - "The Party" - Actor (4:05)
11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Skeletons" - It's Blitz! (3:30)
12. The Magnetic Fields - "The Book of Love" - 69 Love Songs (2:42)
13. Arcade Fire - "My Body Is A Cage" - Neon Bible (4:47)

Total Length: 1:43:46

coolian2

1. U2 – “Fez – Being Born” - No Line On The Horizon (5:17)
2. Interpol – “Take You on A Cruise” - Antics (4:54)
3. Bright Eyes – “Four Winds” - Cassadaga (4:12)
4. Bruce Springsteen – “Badlands” – Darkness On The Edge Of Town (4:05)
5. Los Campesinos! – “There Are Listed Buildings” – Romance Is Boring (2:55)
6. Fleet Foxes – “Blue Ridge Mountains” – Fleet Foxes (4:23)
7. Grizzly Bear – “Southern Point” – Veckatimest (5:00)
8. LCD Soundsystem – “North American Scum” – Sound Of Silver (5:26)
9. The Shins – “Australia” – Wincing The Night Away (3:57)
10. Gnarls Barkley – “Crazy” – St. Elsewhere (2:58)
11. Lawrence Arabia – “Auckland CBD, Pt. Two” – Chant Darling (2:40)
12. Okkervil River – “Lost Coastlines” – The Stand Ins (5:32)
13. Frightened Rabbit – “Swim Until You Can’t See Land” – The Winter Of Mixed Drinks (4:19)
14. The National – “Bloodbuzz Ohio” – High Violet (4:36)
15. Arcade Fire – “Neighbourhood #1(Tunnels)” – Funeral (4:48)
16. Massive Attack – “Inertia Creeps” – Mezzanine (5:57)
17. Pavement – “Unfair” – Quarantine The Past (2:33)
18. Wilco – “War On War” – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (3:49)
19. R.E.M. – “Nightswimming” – Automatic For The People (4:18)
20. The Flaming Lips – “It’s Summertime” – Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (4:20)
21. Air France – “June Evenings” – No Way Down (4:02)
22. Elbow – “Weather To Fly” - The Seldom Seen Kid (4:29)
23. Sparklehorse – “Don’t Take My Sunshine Away” – Dreamt For Years In The Belly Of A Mountain (3:06)
24. Brian Eno – “Another Green World” – Another Green World (1:42)
25. Passengers – “Your Blue Room” – Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
26. Doves – “Winter Hill” – Kingdom Of Rust (5:19)
27. Radiohead – “(Nice Dream)” – The Bends (3:53)
28. David Bowie – “Memory Of A Free Festival” – Space Oddity (7:10)

Total Runtime: 120:55

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saying, the likelihood of you getting a results list from me on May 7th is about a million to one. That's the end of finals week and the day before I graduate. But I'm not asking you to change the entire competition on account of one person, just saying, I might have to pull my list out.

Just saying, the likelihood of you getting a results list from me on May 7th is about a million to one. That's the end of finals week and the day before I graduate. But I'm not asking you to change the entire competition on account of one person, just saying, I might have to pull my list out.

You can certainly provide me with a ranking well before then if you wish. I'm not saying it has to be exactly that day.

Or are you saying that between now and then, you won't be able to listen at all? Cuz that's quite a ways off still; you can simply skim through some of the playlists to get an idea how they go together at least.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding, because I know how much you wanted to participate in this originally.

You can certainly provide me with a ranking well before then if you wish. I'm not saying it has to be exactly that day.

Or are you saying that between now and then, you won't be able to listen at all? Cuz that's quite a ways off still; you can simply skim through some of the playlists to get an idea how they go together at least.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding, because I know how much you wanted to participate in this originally.

I'm saying that I just don't see me being able to listen to the last lists, making it impossible for me to submit a list. So either I'm going to need the links to those earlier, or I'll have to pull out.

Personally, I'm gonna find it very difficult to listen to all the lists on time. I've gotten through 6 of 19 so far. I'm going to try to get in another one tomorrow. Another week added on at the end to catch up wouldn't be such a bad idea.... :shrug:

Like I said, there's no rush. If people need the extra time, it's not a problem.

And if people want to finish early and submit their rankings as soon as possible, that's perfectly fine too.

Awesome, Danny, let me know how you find it.

Also, apologies that I haven't been doing running journals. I have been listening to all the lists, but I just don't have time to do write-ups for each one during the last weeks of school/finals.

Last edited:
This is easily the most diverse playlist I've heard yet.

I'm about halfway through so far. Really enjoyed the section from Air -> Curtis Mayfield. Classic De La Soul track, and man, I can't remember the last time I heard Freddie's Dead.

When I first saw that you had two songs in a row by artists called Sylvester and Lambchop, all I could think about was Sylvester the Cat and that Lamb Chop puppet. Sadly that was the best thing about those two tracks.

Things picked up with M83, and I'm in the middle of that stretch now, which is very good.

So, forgot to comment on the rest before.

I pretty much liked everything from Couleurs on. I mean, the degree of liking varied from one song to the next, some awesome (M83, Passion Pit, The National, etc.) and others just good, but none sucked so much that it left a bitter taste in my mouth. So that's a good thing.

What I'm trying to blab out here is that, for the most part, I very much had a good time listening to this.

the INXS track on your playlist was Korupt, khan, just a heads up to all those DIers out there.

finally starting on these tomorrow... will report back on Cassie's list tomorrow evening/night

the INXS track on your playlist was Korupt, khan, just a heads up to all those DIers out there.

finally starting on these tomorrow... will report back on Cassie's list tomorrow evening/night
LOVED it.

i can honestly say that's probably the first playlist i've enjoyed all the way through - and whilst there were plenty of songs that i won't be rushing to listen to again, or discover further (talking about a number of the African songs here) it flowed really well and you could sell it as a compilation i reckon.

i thought the autotune bit in the K'naan track was pretty funny. spot on. Drumming is a Language was awesome. The stretch from Dessa to Gil Scott-Heron was brilliant, some downright awesome hiphop in there. (how old's the Scott-Heron track, he released an album this year if i'm not mistaken. it was very interesting, i'd like to know if he was talking to anyone in particular). the one-two punch of the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble rocked the speakers in my car and really impressed me. in fact from those two tracks to about J. Dilla i loved everything. certainly not an N.W.A. track i was expecting - i only know the more popular tracks. The D'Angelo sequence was brilliant. and i think i may check some of Mos Def's stuff out - i love his work on the new Gorillaz album and thought he was great in this playlist. plus he seems quite an endearing bloke, he was in Be Kind Rewind if i'm not mistaken and i thought he was good. shame the movie wasn't.

anyway, back to that assignment...

Wow. Danny, thanks so much. I can't believe you think it could be a compilation...that cracks me up a bit, but is truly a massive compliment. "Drumming is a Language" is actually one that I wasn't sure about how it would be received; glad you enjoyed it. The Gil Scott-Heron track is from his first album, Small Talk at 125th and Lenox, released in 1970, so the Black Power, Black Nationalist, etc. movement is what he was discussing. He makes references to them only reading Mao and Frantz Fanon, both huge influences on the thinking of the Black Panthers at the time, and Fanon has gone on to be recognized as an influential thinker of what's now called postcolonial studies.

Anyway, if it gets you to check out anybody on the list further, then I've done my job.

Last edited:
Original intent was to listen to joey788's playlist today, but that's not going to happen until tomorrow now.

Was also going to get the last Master List thread up soon, but I get the sense people are still behind, so I'll probably hold off until Monday or so.

very much enjoyed it Sad Punk sir!

apart from being too long, Many 'Tings' was a terrific opener, was well followed by Freedom, and did i enjoy Penelope's Voyage or what!

and hey! there's a bit of Peg that's been snuck into Eye Know, my first exposure to De La outside of Feel Good Inc. great track.

the funky/soul sort of turn the playlist took over the next three or four tracks i really enjoyed, surprising considering i'd never listened to any songs of the type outside of films or something.

the transition from M83 to na na na na na na hey hey hey worked brilliantly as i expected it would. Love Has Come Around got me boppin', and the segue to the Happy Mondays track actually worked really well (not to the ears, but i was on Toorak Rd and i slammed my brakes on at the exact moment the track ended).

didn't care for the next few, Quick Canal, Headache and Astronauts i enjoyed thoroughly however. not sure what the Mountain Goats song was exactly. finished nicely with a Paul Mac track i'd not heard.

that's :up: gold

Pretty good playlist so far. I'm through the first part. Some solid choices. Starting with NIN was great, although the transition to The Horrors was off. After that, I really liked the flow of the songs. Great to hear a La Roux track.

The only song I didn't really like was the one from Crocodiles, but other than that, Part 1 was excellent.

Another strong set with the second half here.

I can respect the Metallica choice, although they've never been a favorite of mine. It was a great way to start it off though. Great Opeth selection, and followed by Bad was nice.

Again, I like almost everything on here. The only two that were misses for me were St. Vincent (sorry, haven't cared for her) and The Magnetic Fields, although I admittedly don't know too much about them.

Great job overall. This will get a good ranking from me.

Back
Top Bottom