Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 PM
Up to Khan's playlist today.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

I'm probably about halfway through the playlist.

A couple of classic rock staples to kick things off, and then shortly after, we hit a Lou Reed/David Bowie setlist. They go together for the most part, but that's not too surprising when it goes VU/Iggy covering Bowie/Reed/Bowie. I probably would have spread those songs out throughout the playlist more. I also would have put Rocket Man right after Perfect Day. They sound great together.

True Faith was a bit jarring after, but perhaps that was more due to the volume level being much higher. A great stretch of songs followed, perhaps not quite sequenced as well as it could have - although I liked Mother's Little Helper into Mr. Brownstone (an unheralded G'nR gem, if you ask me).

The R&H version of Bad is great, obviously, but doesn't work very well in a playlist setting. The Wide Awake In America version would have sufficed there, I think.

Gold Dust Woman

Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

More comments...

I can't remember the last time I heard Digging Your Scene.

Great Crowded House choice.

BTW, it's Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey. Song title FAIL.

But it's one of my all-time favorite McCartney compositions, so I'll let it slide this time.

Oh, look - it's Perfect Day again. Not a bad cover actually.

I'm glad someone else has put Elvis on a playlist. I feel he doesn't get enough credit around here at times. So little is talked of him. Great pick too.

Jungleland. Nothing else needs to be said there.

Great songs all around. I still get the feeling they were kind of thrown together hastily, and perhaps I'm way off there, but the flow seems a bit choppy in places.

So in conclusion, I dig most of the songs here, but probably would have done a different running order.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #64
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:46 PM
i worked on this on and off for 18 months, actually. oh well, different strokes.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Shows you how much I know.

Good thing you had a lot of killer songs!

Hope to listen to oneblood's list today.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #66
45:33

Local Time: 07:46 AM
looking through that DI website, i think i've got the record for worst ever performance...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #67
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Shows you how much I know.

Good thing you had a lot of killer songs!
admittedly i did go for more of a thematic order than what would sound good. thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, Cassie. Really enjoying this so far.

Bono would be proud too.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Ok, so work got in the way a bit today. I'm still in the middle of this playlist.

My favorite stretch was from Nas all the way to The Roots. That section was just gold. I particularly liked Missing Link, which I didn't know, and the twofer of Express Yourself and Ham 'N' Eggs was vintage hip hop that I hadn't heard in a long time.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Wow, Cassie. Really enjoying this so far.
Quote:
Ok, so work got in the way a bit today. I'm still in the middle of this playlist.

My favorite stretch was from Nas all the way to The Roots. That section was just gold. I particularly liked Missing Link, which I didn't know, and the twofer of Express Yourself and Ham 'N' Eggs was vintage hip hop that I hadn't heard in a long time.
Thanks, phanan! I'm very glad you liked it. It's been interesting to hear everybody's favorite parts so far, for sure. I have my own too, but I don't think I'll share until the end, maybe.

Quote:
Bono would be proud too.
Just trying to do my part.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

I did wrap things up late yesterday, but never commented.

While I'll agree that the last portion of the playlist wasn't as strong as what preceded it, I still thought it was pretty good. The last few songs in particular were great, almost as if the listener was coming full circle, like being back at the beginning in terms of the type of music.

So this was a very cool listen, with lots of stuff I'd never even heard before. Sometimes I think these types of playlists, the ones where you go into it having no idea what it is like (for the most part), are the most rewarding - by discovering great music that you didn't know existed, or knew existed but never really had the time to dive into it further.

Nice job.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 PM
1B1L. Wow. I don't have a whole lot to say about your list other than it's simply not my thing overall. A lot of it really, really ran together for me, so I suppose that makes the flow good. But... well... it wasn't for me. Nothing really stood out massively as something I'd really want to go check out. I feel bad for saying that, but it's how I feel. I simply didn't care for it!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Ian. This list is very different from your previous entry. Some of the songs (U2, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, The Shins, and Gnarls Barkley) are some of my favourites. Some of them I didn't care for at all (Bright Eyes, Springsteen, Okkervil). Some I thought were pretty good, but not the best. I liked the new National single. Arcade Fire's vocalist still bugs me. And that's where I am.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 AM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Ian (again). I liked parts of the second half a lot, and I didn't care for parts of the second half a lot. More divisive than the first half with less in the middle, I'd say. Loved The Flaming Lips, Elbow, Sparklehorse, Doves, and Radiohead. Also, Your Blue Room is one of my favourite U2 moments from the 90s. Especially that guitar at the end. Melts me. Anyway, Wilco wasn't bad, nor was Air France. The rest... meh. You know, I don't like REM, didn't care for Pavement or Massive Attack at all. Nor Bowie for that matter.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Just finished Cassie's - I enjoyed it a lot for sure. Obviously it isn't particularly diverse, but there's still arguably as much variety as any list that consists solely of rock. I enjoyed the first half more than the second by a fair margin, though, and that includes having listening to them in separate periods. However there weren't any bad songs, just some were a fair bit better than others. I did notice a few artist overlaps too, which was a shame - after all, BPM doesn't mean "Black Person Music".

Overall though, it was a lot of fun and though the odds are against it, I hope to see it go far in the comp.

Tags
desert island