Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Listening to Ian's playlist...

Great 1-2 start with Shuttlecock and Interpol. Not sure if I liked the placement of Four Winds right after though.

And let this be Exhibit 4,367 that Darkness On The Edge Of Town needs a remaster in the worst way. Badlands sounded awful amongst these other songs (although the song itself is available in remastered form on Greatest Hits and Essential and would have stood out a bit better here if used from one of those sources).

Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Meant to make additional comments previously.

Fleet Foxes -> Grizzly Bear is an obvious pairing, but great nonetheless. Not sure about LCD right after.

After that, wow. What a stretch all the way to Massive Attack. All great songs, all put together very well. The only song I was unfamiliar with was the one from Lawrence Arabia, but I enjoyed it.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Never wrapped up my comments before.

The last part was good, although not quite as strong for me. For every great song (Elbow, Doves, etc.) there were ones that were below par (Pavement, Wilco, etc.). But you did end it with a Bowie song that I've always really liked (no small feat there), and Bends-era Radiohead is always a winner in my book.

Well done all around, Ian. I think the songs chosen went well together - there weren't too many spots that I could find where I felt the arrangement was off, and if you know me at all and how I grade these things, that's definitely a big positive. It doesn't hurt that the songs themselves were excellent as well. I predict that your playlist will rate very high come results time.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #49
45:33

Local Time: 06:15 AM
well i'm done with een's list.

great stuff. felt a bit strange to a hear a Massive Attack song in DI7 that wasn't Teardrop. liked nearly every song. didn't appreciate the fact that it was pissing down rain outside as It's Summertime played. i like Air France (i have GBG Belongs to Us). Eno>U2 worked great. Winter Hill was the first Doves song this tournament i've really enjoyed.

i was planning on using Memory of a Free Festival as a closer should i decided to enter DI again; you stole my idea.

it's a real shame that the song bombed upon release, it's a real gem that very few would even know exists.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i thought Opeth was a death metal band, so the fact that i really enjoyed that song was surprising.
They are, but they do have some material that veers more into progressive rock territory.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #51
45:33

Local Time: 06:15 AM
i'm done with Khan's list now, and group three.

i enjoyed your list on and off, Khan. plenty of great songs in there, some mediocre ones as well. Jungleland had me speeding and singing with the window down as i drove home, what a song. and i picked the Liam Finn song straight away, even though i didn't know it

anyone else think Paul McCartney > Floyd worked brilliantly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
They are, but they do have some material that veers more into progressive rock territory.
it's certainly not going to make me listen to them though
Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #52
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
i'm done with Khan's list now, and group three.

i enjoyed your list on and off, Khan. plenty of great songs in there, some mediocre ones as well. Jungleland had me speeding and singing with the window down as i drove home, what a song. and i picked the Liam Finn song straight away, even though i didn't know it

anyone else think Paul McCartney > Floyd worked brilliantly?
thanks, glad you liked it.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I will be starting on Joey's playlist next. Love the concept.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I already have listened to 5 songs, Joey. I am sorry to say this but I have really disliked everything I have heard so far. NIN is either hit or miss for me and the song annoyed the crap out of me. The dark and very moody, almost depressing sound of this playlist, depresses me but also puts me to sleep. Now I like depressing music, sad folk ballads and other things. But the Beck track and Thom Yorke bored me. I like some Beck and I am crazy about Radiohead but weak songs choices for me. I'm sorry.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

But Joey, I thought the flow has been great so far and it fits well within the theme. I listened to more. "Knights" and "Bulletproof" are good songs. The only thing I have liked so far but it isn't enough to say I am a fan of your playlist yet either.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

More listening, Joey. I hated the Deerhunter song. I loved the Muse and Danger Mouse song. The Rage was good too. Not too sure what to think of the Crocodiles song. Good last bit but not that very impressed so far because there are more songs I dislike strongly than ones I like.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Never wrapped up my comments before.

The last part was good, although not quite as strong for me. For every great song (Elbow, Doves, etc.) there were ones that were below par (Pavement, Wilco, etc.). But you did end it with a Bowie song that I've always really liked (no small feat there), and Bends-era Radiohead is always a winner in my book.

Well done all around, Ian. I think the songs chosen went well together - there weren't too many spots that I could find where I felt the arrangement was off, and if you know me at all and how I grade these things, that's definitely a big positive. It doesn't hurt that the songs themselves were excellent as well. I predict that your playlist will rate very high come results time.
Quote:
well i'm done with een's list.

great stuff. felt a bit strange to a hear a Massive Attack song in DI7 that wasn't Teardrop. liked nearly every song. didn't appreciate the fact that it was pissing down rain outside as It's Summertime played. i like Air France (i have GBG Belongs to Us). Eno>U2 worked great. Winter Hill was the first Doves song this tournament i've really enjoyed.

i was planning on using Memory of a Free Festival as a closer should i decided to enter DI again; you stole my idea.

it's a real shame that the song bombed upon release, it's a real gem that very few would even know exists.
thanks guys! glad it went down well.

danny - steal the idea back off me! desert island is just a thievery contest anyway!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Alright, Joey, I listened to Part B. I really enjoy this part compared to Part A. Some of the standout songs for me were: "Torture Me," "Dumb," "The Book of Love," "My Body is a Cage," "St. Vincent," and "Don't Panic." "Nude" and "Bad" were nice too. But some songs put a very bad taste in my mouth, "NYC" and "Windowpane." I have heard many songs from Interpol trying to become a fan of theirs but it hasn't happened yet. "Windowpane" was just bizzare to me. And I prefer old Alice in Chains over contemporay.

So overall, I liked Part B. to Part A. I was crazy about a lot of songs from your playlist but I disliked many songs on your playlist too. I can see many people digging this type of music you put on your playlist. But I am sorry, there were too many songs I didn't like to properly enjoy this playlist the way I really wanted to.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Starting on KhanadaRhodes's playlist now. I am loving it so far. I have been a Steve Miller Band and Journey fan for quite a long time. Great choices so far. Everybody has been including Velvet Underground songs on their playlist and I have been crazy about everything I have heard so far from them. So "Heroin" scores too.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Alright, I am up to song 17. I thought some song were really great and some songs were average. "Gather to the Chapel, "Elegantly Wasted," "Rocket Man" and "Knock Me Down" stood out for me. But the New Order, Rolling Stones, and Fleetwood Mac songs you choose were not the stellar tracks they have done in their careers, I believe. But it flows very well.

Tags
desert island