Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And now I'm finishing out the side with the Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse track, which I'm really digging. Wish this album had been given a proper release; I would love to have it in lossless.

As a matter of fact, it's getting one on July 13th. (And, I think Danger Mouse leaked the FLAC files himself last year, if I'm not mistaken).

As a matter of fact, it's getting one on July 13th. (And, I think Danger Mouse leaked the FLAC files himself last year, if I'm not mistaken).

Oh really? I heard that the FLAC versions floating around were just mp3 transcodes and that it was only really leaked in 320kbps.

Finished Joey's; I'll give thoughts later. Importing Khan's and the INXS track is missing...

Okay, now finally back for my thoughts about the second half of Joey's list. Didn't care for the songs by Metallica, Alice In Chains, or Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Nirvana song isn't one I'd go out of my way to listen to, but whenever it's on, I usually don't change away from it. I also didn't care for the Opeth song, despite the fact that it at all what I was expecting. But then there was Bad and Don't Panic, which I love both of. The Interpol track didn't do much for me either way; didn't love it, didn't hate it. I love that Radiohead song, though. The St. Vincent track elicited a similar response from me as the Interpol track did. I almost used that YYY's song this time, so that's a definite hit for me! I liked the Magnetic Fields song, though it sounded like it should be a b-side by the National for some reason--not that there's a problem with that. Oh, and I hate most everything on Arcade Fire's second album. And this is no different.

And now I'm listening to Khan's list. Started out with some classic stuff with SMB and Journey. The Split Enz song was pretty good, too. The Velvet Underground has always been a band I really have to be in the mood for to enjoy, so I was a little meh about this one. The Iggy Pop cover was interesting and made me smile... I like Bowie's better (it's one of the few Bowie songs I've heard that I actually really like). I'd heard the Lou Reed song before... didn't know it was him, but I really liked it. The David Bowie track wasn't for me :), and then Elton John. A good song, but wow he needs to have his catalogue remastered--so quiet! Wasn't sure about the transition from that to New Order, but I loved the song itself, and then the one that followed is a new favourite of mine. The INXS song was pretty decent, though I'm not much into them. Then there was a classic rock staple in Mother's Little Helper, which I like, followed by Mr. Brownstone, which I forget that I like (but still do!). But I don't care much for a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Knock Me Down was no exception to the case. And now I'm listening to the Rattle & Hum DVD version of Bad. A very good version indeed!

And continuing on, I love Gold Dust Woman. Actually, I really just love that whole album. I hadn't heard the Liam Finn song before, but I liked it. I didn't care for the Depeche Mode, The Blow Monkeys, or George Michael/Elton John songs at all.... The Crowded House song was alright, though nothing I'd see myself revisiting at this juncture. But then there was a 3 song set of wonder: Uncle Albert, Comfortably Numb, Solsbury Hill. And that's where I am now.

And to conclude: I liked the Duran Duran version of Perfect Day better than the Lou Reed version, I think. And I like Elvis, even though I rarely listen to him. And woo! Pet Sounds! I love that album, and I love that song. Then again, I love just about every song on that album. The Doors song was too long, if you ask me, but it was alright. I don't like Bruce Springsteen and that's all I've got to say about that. The last two were pretty good, though Neil Young's voice really bothers me sometimes. Maybe the reason I didn't start climbing up the walls was because it was a shorter song. :)

It has been remastered. Either Khan's version wasn't, or it was at a lower volume level for some reason.

Huh. I thought I read somewhere that he was one of those artists who was completely against that. But anyway, I listened to that 1970-2002 album, and it sounded ridiculously quiet to my ears (this was a couple years ago, and maybe I just got a bad copy?) when compared to other things from that late 60s/70s era that've been remastered (CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, etc).

Back
Top Bottom