Desert Island VII Master List, Part Three - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post

Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Speaking of which, I'm listening to SP's playlist now.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

This is easily the most diverse playlist I've heard yet.

I'm about halfway through so far. Really enjoyed the section from Air -> Curtis Mayfield. Classic De La Soul track, and man, I can't remember the last time I heard Freddie's Dead.

When I first saw that you had two songs in a row by artists called Sylvester and Lambchop, all I could think about was Sylvester the Cat and that Lamb Chop puppet. Sadly that was the best thing about those two tracks.

Things picked up with M83, and I'm in the middle of that stretch now, which is very good.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

So, forgot to comment on the rest before.

I pretty much liked everything from Couleurs on. I mean, the degree of liking varied from one song to the next, some awesome (M83, Passion Pit, The National, etc.) and others just good, but none sucked so much that it left a bitter taste in my mouth. So that's a good thing.

What I'm trying to blab out here is that, for the most part, I very much had a good time listening to this.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
45:33

Local Time: 01:57 AM
the INXS track on your playlist was Korupt, khan, just a heads up to all those DIers out there.

finally starting on these tomorrow... will report back on Cassie's list tomorrow evening/night
Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
the INXS track on your playlist was Korupt, khan, just a heads up to all those DIers out there.

finally starting on these tomorrow... will report back on Cassie's list tomorrow evening/night
LOVED it.

i can honestly say that's probably the first playlist i've enjoyed all the way through - and whilst there were plenty of songs that i won't be rushing to listen to again, or discover further (talking about a number of the African songs here) it flowed really well and you could sell it as a compilation i reckon.

i thought the autotune bit in the K'naan track was pretty funny. spot on. Drumming is a Language was awesome. The stretch from Dessa to Gil Scott-Heron was brilliant, some downright awesome hiphop in there. (how old's the Scott-Heron track, he released an album this year if i'm not mistaken. it was very interesting, i'd like to know if he was talking to anyone in particular). the one-two punch of the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble rocked the speakers in my car and really impressed me. in fact from those two tracks to about J. Dilla i loved everything. certainly not an N.W.A. track i was expecting - i only know the more popular tracks. The D'Angelo sequence was brilliant. and i think i may check some of Mos Def's stuff out - i love his work on the new Gorillaz album and thought he was great in this playlist. plus he seems quite an endearing bloke, he was in Be Kind Rewind if i'm not mistaken and i thought he was good. shame the movie wasn't.

anyway, back to that assignment...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Wow. Danny, thanks so much. I can't believe you think it could be a compilation...that cracks me up a bit, but is truly a massive compliment. "Drumming is a Language" is actually one that I wasn't sure about how it would be received; glad you enjoyed it. The Gil Scott-Heron track is from his first album, Small Talk at 125th and Lenox, released in 1970, so the Black Power, Black Nationalist, etc. movement is what he was discussing. He makes references to them only reading Mao and Frantz Fanon, both huge influences on the thinking of the Black Panthers at the time, and Fanon has gone on to be recognized as an influential thinker of what's now called postcolonial studies.

Anyway, if it gets you to check out anybody on the list further, then I've done my job.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
huh, weird. i've uploaded a new version to the same link as before, so that should be okay.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Original intent was to listen to joey788's playlist today, but that's not going to happen until tomorrow now.

Was also going to get the last Master List thread up soon, but I get the sense people are still behind, so I'll probably hold off until Monday or so.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #25

i'll be listening to Bonnie's today
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #26

very much enjoyed it Sad Punk sir!

apart from being too long, Many 'Tings' was a terrific opener, was well followed by Freedom, and did i enjoy Penelope's Voyage or what!

and hey! there's a bit of Peg that's been snuck into Eye Know, my first exposure to De La outside of Feel Good Inc. great track.

the funky/soul sort of turn the playlist took over the next three or four tracks i really enjoyed, surprising considering i'd never listened to any songs of the type outside of films or something.

the transition from M83 to na na na na na na hey hey hey worked brilliantly as i expected it would. Love Has Come Around got me boppin', and the segue to the Happy Mondays track actually worked really well (not to the ears, but i was on Toorak Rd and i slammed my brakes on at the exact moment the track ended).

didn't care for the next few, Quick Canal, Headache and Astronauts i enjoyed thoroughly however. not sure what the Mountain Goats song was exactly. finished nicely with a Paul Mac track i'd not heard.

that's gold
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Listening to Joey's list today.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Pretty good playlist so far. I'm through the first part. Some solid choices. Starting with NIN was great, although the transition to The Horrors was off. After that, I really liked the flow of the songs. Great to hear a La Roux track.

The only song I didn't really like was the one from Crocodiles, but other than that, Part 1 was excellent.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Another strong set with the second half here.

I can respect the Metallica choice, although they've never been a favorite of mine. It was a great way to start it off though. Great Opeth selection, and followed by Bad was nice.

Again, I like almost everything on here. The only two that were misses for me were St. Vincent (sorry, haven't cared for her) and The Magnetic Fields, although I admittedly don't know too much about them.

Great job overall. This will get a good ranking from me.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
Refugee

Thanks phanan. Glad you liked it!

Tags
desert island