Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to start on these soon, I should've already.

I need some help making my list though. Just with one song. It's in the back of something somebody put on youtube. This person originally put an Aphex Twin song as the music for this video, but there was some copyright thing, and so he changed it, but he didn't change the info in his comments, so it is still says it's the Aphex Twin song even though it's not. The thing is, I have no idea what the song is called or who it's by, there's nothing in the video that indicates it, it's instrumental so there are no lyrics to google, and I've messaged the guy on youtube and asked via comment to the video, but have received no response either way. But I really like it, and it fits my list perfectly, and I want to add it, but I can't because I have no idea what it is. So I'm asking for your help - does anyone know what the song in this video is? It's only the first 1:09 of it, but that should be more than enough to identify it if you know it. Thanks.

YouTube - waikiki sand fetus [yellow calx // aphex]

An interesting beginning, tourist. I'm not sure about the concept, having only three songs be the first part, but they are definitely awesome songs, so that doesn't hurt. However, when listening straight through, it's kinda weird having A Day In The Life as the third song in. So accustomed to hearing it as a final song.

Second section complete.

A very good string of songs, and very well put together. The sequencing was excellent. Didn't really care for the Junipers or Sparklehorse songs, and I didn't like the My Sweet Lord cover, but other than that, nicely done.

After a brief delay, I'm finishing up tourist's playlist now.

The third "act", if you will, was on par with the second one. I'm impressed by how cohesive this has been, and the song selection has been strong for the most part. As before, there were a few selections that weren't my taste, such as the Peter Bjorn and John track. For whatever reason I've never warmed to them, and this song didn't change that impression.

The short three song cycle at the end, with two classic rock staples, was great. I enjoyed that short tune from Gosling as well.

So overall, an exceptional playlist. I have minor quibbles with the four "act" structure as you have it, but apart from the songs I didn't care for, it was a great listen.

Just sent our links over, too.

Thoughts on both LM's and Impy's lists will come shortly.

Listened to liam's first "LP" and it was very good. I like all the tracks on there, and it flowed well for the first 7 songs. Then the song transitions became a bit haphazard, mostly because several get cut off, which left the listening experience a bit jarring. But like I said, nothing wrong with the songs themselves. Special kudos for including Jacob's Ladder, an unheralded Rush gem, and XTC. I almost had a song from them on mine.

Moving forward to LP 2...

In terms of flow and overall execution, I thought LP 2 was much better than LP 1. Perhaps that has something to do with the longer songs, but it was a very cohesive and enjoyable listen. You can't go wrong with Islands, Dogs, San Jacinto, and Stagnation. I'm not the world's biggest Phish fan, so that was probably the weakest part for me, but otherwise, a fine listen all around. Glad to have your unique style back in the game.

I originally said two weeks in between threads, but I'm thinking of posting the second one either tomorrow or Monday, if that's ok with everyone. We will have several people ready to move on to those playlists in the next few days, and while I understand some people might be behind, I don't think a couple of days would make much difference. In fact, it's looking like the last week in April will be the best time for me to tally up the results and present them to people, so I think I'm going to try to schedule this out based on when I can end it. More to come on that part...

Through Part A. Great vibe, and the song order is very good. Some great songs mixed in with ones I don't particularly care for, but as a whole, it goes extremely well.

Just beginning Part B, and Little Dragon is already a highlight. Based on their work with Gorillaz and now this, I have to check out their albums. Great stuff.

I liked B better than A in terms of songs. Execution was flawless once again. Quite the beautiful playlist, Impy.

Sorry for the shorter than usual commentary. I'm heading out the door in a few.

Alright, I was just wondering. About to start listening to your list and wanted to know if they had any significance.

Ok, I finished these awhile ago but forgot to comment on them

bono_212 - first half of first disc was fun but I'm not super into 80's music like that. However, once it got to Disorder (my favourite Joy Division song!) I LOVED everything else. Second disc overall was great too, except Peter Gabriel and DMB weren't my thing at all (ugh, I just don't get DMB. Sorry.) I thought the last four songs were an especially strong finish.

the tourist - Like impy's, this was a list where I liked almost every song (I've gotta agree with everyone else though - while somewhat amusing I didn't really "get" the Peter Bjorn and John track. also, strange Kanye pick), but not a lot stood out to me. The highlights were mostly songs I already knew. Enjoyed the second half of the second section the most, I think (except Animal Collective, a band I just do not understand). This is a list I wish I had time to listen to again, because I have a feeling a lot of the songs would grow on me. I'm one for more in-your-face music... it takes awhile for me to appreciate more relaxing/subtle songs. So overall well put together, just not entirely my style.

Ok, I finished these awhile ago but forgot to comment on them

bono_212 - first half of first disc was fun but I'm not super into 80's music like that. However, once it got to Disorder (my favourite Joy Division song!) I LOVED everything else. Second disc overall was great too, except Peter Gabriel and DMB weren't my thing at all (ugh, I just don't get DMB. Sorry.) I thought the last four songs were an especially strong finish.

I tried incredibly hard to find a "non-traditional" DMB track that people might enjoy. I think it kinda worked? XD

i've never heard MPP though.

Yep, that might be the problem there. :wink: Everything before MPP is an acquired taste/awful.

I'm absolutely stunned you haven't heard My Girls and you post on this forum regularly. There were times last year I wish I could have gotten away from it. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom