Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Liam, just finished with your playlist. I forgot how much I love Dogs. And My Bloody Valentine is always phenomenal. Oh, and that Part II B was great background music. And although it's not something I'd often revisit, it fit at the time. My dislike of R.E.M., though, very much rivals my dislike of Springsteen 'round these parts. Also, couldn't stand that Peter Hammill song. But the flow was pretty good.

Anyway, on the scale that I earlier set up when grading Ashley's earlier, your list did pretty well. Right in the average-to-above-average range. Didn't quite exceed it, though.

I never posted my final thoughts on LM's list.

Listened to the last portion yesterday evening. Very good for the most part. Not caring for Bowie or Fiona Apple, I struggled during that twofer, and I thought the ending was a bit disjointed. While the Neil Young tune is great, it just didn't seem to go well there (or perhaps it did and just needed something different following it, I don't know). But other than that, quite the solid entry, as usual. LM doesn't let me down.

I'll be moving on to Ashley's playlist later today.

On another note, while I made the deadline this Wednesday, March 31, since we are staggering the threads and already have the next five lined up for Part 2, technically, the rest of you can take a little extra time to make sure you are ready, as Parts 3 & 4 won't be up for a few weeks. Just a thought in case you need it.

Welp, I've started listening to Ashley's thing.

First track was Buce Sprickstein, who I'm not the biggest fan of, but it was a perfectly competent opener and I know how much this kid loves The Buce, so I'm never going to take that away from her, because that would make me a terrible, terrible monster. It went pretty well into a regular Jarvis Cocker hit, which I always thought was a pretty cool song. Again, not my favourite thing in the world, but works fine, and keeps the flow going into this here fun. song. fun. is a band I haven't had much luck getting into, but I like this song a lot in context, with or without going that rotten Don Henley route.

but HOLY SHIT STOP THIS COMPETITION FUCK FUCK FUCK THE HOOTERS

to be cont.

So I'm still here listening to this rollercoaster ride of 80's bands and 00's bands that sound like 80's bands, and I think this stuff is charting to be a moderate success. Bizarre Love Triangle was in there, and was obviously great and what kind of a person are you to say otherwise (although Blue Monday is better). Everything flowed well because the songs are all a part of the same family tree. The guy from the Horrors has a very manly voice and I think that works well going into a song by Joy Division that was actually recorded before Ian Curtis' passing. And then there's a Cure song that everyone has on their iPod, so that works out well.

Looking to the future, I can see this disc ending with its own share of ultimate power.

Ashley's first disc ended really strongly, mainly because Okkervil River and Mountain Goats are awesome and Peter Gabriel utilised his fondness of noises pretty decently in the last track. I'm onto the second disc now, and I gotta say Regina Spektor and Ben Folds Five segued beautifully. Kudos for including Brick, I was driving the other day and thought "boy, I haven't heard Brick by Ben Folds Five in a while!" and yeah, that was a nice surprise. Tom Waits.

Ashley's list is coming to a sexy close. While I couldn't help but feel some of the stuff in the middle was kind of boring and stuck together in an unpleasant way (Tom Petty and DMB the worst offenders, as I was expecting) I enjoyed the Cave, Doves, Scream and all that a whole bunch. Big Country were surprisingly neat, too.

This last stretch is great, the TUF > Royksopp Forever > Teardrops is wonderful. I used Royksopp Forever seguing into or from U2 in my last DI and I would like to think Ashley was inspired by my genius. I'm not the biggest fan of Teardrops, just because everyone in the art school I went to played it during every. goddamn. lesson., but I think it fits very well here. Then she goes all wonky pop on us with Passion Pit and MGMT. I got nothing against this. It works like a beautiful dream mystery from heaven.

Overall, despite some rocky patches, there were a lot of pleasant standouts in Ashley's list and some very pretty segues. I gone give the first Disc a B- and the second one a B+. I guess that makes the whole thing a B. Congrabulations.

I think you're the most talented mix-tape running diary writer I've ever encountered. If you were to do that with every list you listen to, I'd be happy.

Agreed. I enjoy all the running diaries that have effort behind them. I wish I could match it, but I listen to lists as a whole and don't usually pay particular attention to specific tracks, so it's tough for me to cite specific things I liked and disliked, so I end up with a few sentences of the feeling I got and that's it. Seems like a lack of effort, I guess, but it's just my operation.

Yeah, tourist, LM, and Ashley have indicated they were ready for a few more, so I'll be sending them the first couple from Group 2, although I would hold up on comments for them until that thread is posted.

As for me, I've been listening to Ashley's playlist today. Loved the first part, which is probably not a surprise coming from me. You get extra props for including The Hooters and Men At Work. And I thought the songs went well together. I'd say the only transition that was a bit awkward was Metric -> Okkervil River. And great job ending with Wallflower. An unheralded gem from him.

I'm already through a little of your second part, and will comment more shortly.

I was really hoping you of all people would comment specifically on the Springsteen track. For one reason or another I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Well, I figured people get sick of me praising Springsteen all the time...

But yes, great track. I've said all along that, while I enjoy most of The River, the outtakes are far superior to some of the stuff he ended up throwing on there. I Wanna Be With You, Loose Ends, Take 'Em As They Come, Where The Bands Are, Restless Nights, Roulette...it just goes on and on. What he did during that time is quite amazing.

I'm almost through with your playlist. Really digging the second half here. The start was ok, but it really picked up towards the middle. I liked how you paired Doves and U2 with Big Country and Dave Matthews. That Big Country album is great; I almost put Chance on mine, but it missed the cut (although it might pop up on DI8). Also, I haven't cared for much of Dave Matthews for a long time, but I maintain that Crash is the best thing he ever did, and Two Step is an old favorite. This stretch from Doves to U2 was a highlight.

I think I like your placement of it better than mine though.

I finished a while ago. The last four songs together was also very good. In fact, going from U2 to Röyksopp was better than I thought it would be, and since I liked that section as well, it turned out to be a very strong run there.

Overall, I think this is the best one you've done yet. You might have even exceeded your other half this time. No small feat!

Back
Top Bottom