Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having just finished the first disc of Ashley's list, I'll comment on the post-Bizarre Love Triangle songs (since I already commented on the previous). There is a very strong segment from The Horrors through Metric. I'd never given Bloc Party much of a shot before, because they just seemed bland on the few songs I'd heard by them. Much like Elbow did when I first heard Elbow. And while this Bloc Party song isn't as in your face as the Elbow song that changed my preconceived notions (it was Grounds For Divorce, if you're interested), it's better than how I remember them. That being said, I still have no appreciation for Okkervil River. Also, The Mountain Goats did nothing for me. So all in all, very hit and miss. But more hits than misses on that disc. Disc two, however, shall wait.

...oh, and some of it flowed really well.

Through the first 9 tracks and HOLY 80s, BATMAN! Not that I should be surprised. Some of those choices were a bit hit-or-miss for me. I loved The Killers track and the fun. track (hadn't heard either before), and of course I've always loved Bizarre Love Triangle. As is probably well known by now, though, I don't like Bruce Springsteen. [:reject:]

I think my lists are actually becoming a parody of my other lists at this point :lol:.

The Killers track is actually a cover of a Bright Eyes song, but, the original really does nothing for me. I've been trying to sing the praises of fun. since last year, but no one really caught on lol.

...oh, and some of it flowed really well.

Hooray for some flow!

wasn't a big fan of disc one, despite there being some good tunes in there - "Thank You Mario But Our Princess Is In Another Castle" would have to be one of the best titles ever - as it was all quite similar.

Meant to say this last night:

QED allbecauseofu2.

it got cut from my final draft, before i even saw their lists.

hell.
mine too :lol:
Meant to say this last night:

QED allbecauseofu2.
thought you'd say that. it was late, and i didn't mean it disparagingly, just that the disc was all in a similar vein. it worked well.

that Roykosopp instrumental was great.

i hope y'all are ready for my DI debut.

Finished Tourist's list. Solid. As I mentioned to him, I had about half of the tracks already, so obviously there were going to be things I liked on it. The flow was great, too. I will say there were a few tracks that I found a bit grating (the beginning was not my taste at all aside from the Beatles related tracks), but overall this list is a great effort.

Finally got around to uploading and sending my list in to phanan. Now that all of that is taken care of, I can really start to dig into listening everybody else's stuff.

i can't tell ashley, tourist, and pfan apart anymore.

just finishing liam's list, the Phish song is playing. it was pretty great. Dogs :)combust:) was the only song I knew, and there were good songs everywhere.

:up: just tourist's to go now.

Alight. Ashley, the second half of your list. Just like the first disc, it was hit and miss with me. But a few of the songs that hit were homeruns.

The Tom Waits song was wonderful. I'm not familiar with Tom Waits, but when it was on, I made a point to look to see who was coming out of my stereo. When it said Tom Waits, I did a double take. Yay for preconceived notions? Anyway, I also loved the tracks by The National, Beck, The Shins, U2, Passion Pit, and MGMT (all of which I've heard before and are in my iTunes). I mean The Unforgettable Fire is one of my top 3 U2 songs. Again, like with LM, the Doves song stuck with me. Doves tends to be a recurring theme of a band I need to explore.

However, where there were hits, there were also misses. I've never liked Peter Gabriel, Regina Spektor or Dave Matthew Band. And I didn't like the Primal Scream song, either. These four songs just aren't my thing.

But hey, you know, 22% of the songs being songs I didn't like isn't bad, when compared to the 39% being songs I loved. This leaves 39% of the songs on this disc being songs that I tended to find as average-to-slightly-above-average. Ben Folds and Royksopp were both very close to pushing past "above average".

Anyway, this disc had better flow to my ears than the first disc did. So kudos on that. :)

I'll admit I spent a little more time than I should've on that second disc. : obsessive:

Well, I'm the same way about my playlists. :laugh: Even when it's just a mix cd for my wife for her to listen to in her car. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days for a 60 minute list.

And now I'm listening to Liam's list. Damnit, I wanna finish all the lists this time. And I will. I will.

Well I hope you liked the list, I dropped out of Calculus before I could fail, so I'm not sure :p

I'm still in it. Kind of forgot about making it, but now I'm just tweaking, will send the list today or early tomorrow. Gonna listen to Ashley's sooooon.

Well I hope you liked the list, I dropped out of Calculus before I could fail, so I'm not sure :p

:lol: I should employ those principals to how I grade it. If I gave a 10 to all the songs I loved, an 8 to all the songs I considered average-to-above-average, and a 6 to all the songs I didn't care for, your average per song came out to 8.45. Which is a good thing; it means on a whole, your list was mathematically higher than above average. :)

I just employed the same ranking system to LM's that I did to yours. I think I'm going to actually do that for every list I listen to. So although this is a reply to you, it's me retroactively adding a number onto my review of LM's list: 8.21... how very Pitchfork of me.

Rocky1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom