Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always been content with people changing the track numbers, that's worked well for me personally.

i prefer having everything tagged as the compilation. the way i do it, basically. :lol: i find it's the easiest way to getting everything to appear as it should be on itunes, and eliminates me having fifteen copies of the same song. (of course the duplication still exists obviously, but at least it's under fifteen different albums and is less confusing when navigating my ipod.) although for me i'll just retag the lists i download to the way i like them. this way, i can easily delete them if i don't like them. :shifty:

if you're going to the effort of changing track numbers, change the album title as well. it makes life much easier for everyone else. i don't want complete album information for one track if i don't have the rest of the album. just tag it as andrew did (working example here), as your compilation. be cool to other users and make it easier to listen to your list without messing wither their itunes or making them completely organise your list before listening.

well i just sent my list to phanan, and here's how i did it.

threw all the songs (in order) into one itunes playlist, then dragged all those songs into a folder in windows explorer, then put them in a rar file (which threw the songs out of order) and then before the actual song titles in winRAR i added the track number. so in winRAR my list looked like this:

01 Song A_mp3
02 Song B_mp3
03 Song C_mp3
21 Song D_mp3

and so on. don't know how that will work for the rest of you however. i'll be listening to ElMel's list tomorrow.

I'm personally not a fan of changing the album title. There were a few songs on Andrew's list where I wanted to know what album they were on because I was interested in hearing more from them. Yeah, I can look them up online, but it's a bit of a pain.

This whole argument is getting a little petty at this point though. I'm generally happy as long as I can easily sort the tracks.

I'm personally not a fan of changing the album title. There were a few songs on Andrew's list where I wanted to know what album they were on because I was interested in hearing more from them. Yeah, I can look them up online, but it's a bit of a pain.

isn't that why we're meant to include a word document with where everything is originally from? :tongue:

actually, are we meant to? i assume so because everyone else does. i don't remember if i did or didn't last time.

Not required, I don't do it. Was going to do it this time, but I already had my files zipped and I didn't feel like rezipping for it.

mine's got a word doc.

halfway through your list Travis and it's pretty good! a few tracks i didn't know which i've really enjoyed, and yes, it's flowing well.

i didn't even realise that Washing Dishes song had given way to a Tom Waits song until I alt-tabbed into iTunes and Lonely had been going for a minute.

halfway through your list Travis and it's pretty good! a few tracks i didn't know which i've really enjoyed, and yes, it's flowing well.

Which tracks? I'm more than happy to give any recommendations based on those.

About to start Imperor's list. Good call using so many unusual picks. On the other hand, if there's a Radiohead equivalent of Last Unicorn, I'm sure she would be happy to be stuck on an island with These Are My Twisted Words, but few others would.

...you get what you pay for with my running diaries.

A lot of it ran together, but a few completely fuckmazing tracks (the Washed Out, The National, Little Dragon, Bob Dylan and Bear In Heaven picks were all killer) kept my interest. The flow was terrific, although most of the songs on the first disc sound the same, so the sequencing almost seemed arbitrary at times. The second disc was like buttah, although about half of it was unintentionally(?) ambient.

Songs: B-
Flow N' Shit: A-
Overall: B

And for my final list, Impy.

I took this one with me to the gym, which, on the surface seemed like a bad call, but I was actually able to pay some pretty close attention to it as a result, and it was very nice background music. I wasn't so thrilled with some of the songs, but the overall mood worked really well.

Favorite song that I didn't already know was definitely Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Might look into more of that.

I've started off my reading/writing weekend extravaganza with Impy's list.

So far so good at about the halfway point. I'm with LM, that Washed Out track is incredible, thanks for putting it on here. I could've done without the last minute or so of "Billie Holiday," but that's a complaint aimed towards the band more than anything. The Here We Go Magic-->Beach House-->Girls sequence was sublime, excellent way to close out the first disc.

For the most part, Impy's second disc was great as well. There were a few tracks that I wasn't too keen on, but nothing significant. I'm always a fan of Imps' lists because he's good at conveying a feeling rather than a storyline or plot, and this one was no different. Good shit, for sure. Also, I need to get around to that Bear in Heaven album...tried to give it a listen more than once and it never clicked, but I really enjoyed "You Do You."

Next up: LM's list

My internet is not being kind to me...it keeps trying to unzip the tourist's file randomly in the middle of the download. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Also trying to upload mine now. I changed the album title/track numbers and made it a compilation...that's the way people want it done, right? as for knowing what album the song was from originally, that's what the master list is for... :p

Alright, super delayed reactions to LM's list:

Overall, it was extremely solid. You are, as you know, the king of flow, and this playlist exemplified that. However, there was one section in particular that I wasn't too fond of, from Coldplay-->The Allman Brothers Band-->Smokey Robinson. It was rather meh, particularly because of your general strength in that area. Luckily, Outkast was there to bring it back (even though that transition from Smokey Robinson-->Outkast was somewhat rough too). The Outkast-->Eels went much, much smoother than expected; that was an amazing transition, in fact. Also, "Someone Great" > "All My Friends" (and, yes, I'll fucking defend that choice). Very nice pick.

Last edited:
The Outkast-->Eels went much, much smoother than expected; that was an amazing transition, in fact.

yep, that was very clever.

i finished it last night but i went out, and i've only just now gotten out of bed so here is what i thought.

i wasn't keen on the Joni Mitchell track, but i loved the whole vibe and feel of about tracks 4-9, that was fantastic. Camera Obscura's Sweetest Thing is better than U2's, though i'm sure that's bleeding obvious in this forum. loved Tom Waits' Lonely, the Randy Newman track (especially since the only thing that comes to mind when i think of Randy Newman is the video below), the Ryan Adams track, the OutKast song was killer. Someone Great didn't do much for me, and the final few tracks, Train in Vain aside, i wasn't particularly enamoured with.

Cymbaline :heart:

overall, great. Impy's is next.

Alright, super delayed reactions to LM's list:

Overall, it was extremely solid. You are, as you know, the king of flow, and this playlist exemplified that. However, there was one section in particular that I wasn't too fond of, from Coldplay-->The Allman Brothers Band-->Smokey Robinson. It was rather meh, particularly because of your general strength in that area. Luckily, Outkast was there to bring it back (even though that transition from Smokey Robinson-->Outkast was somewhat rough too). The Outkast-->Eels went much, much smoother than expected; that was an amazing transition, in fact. Also, "Someone Great" > "All My Friends" (and, yes, I'll fucking defend that choice). Very nice pick.

That section was a thing. I had a couple of different versions, decided on the original at the last minute, because though I prefer the song choices of my alternate (Strawberry Swing > Two Weeks > Head Over Heels > Da Art Of Storytellin') it was every bit as forced. As a matter of fact, Storytellin' was completely out of place and, honest to God, I had forgotten why I had it there. Then I looked at the original version and remembered. Perhaps it's just a subliminal "I've gotten used to this" thing because I've heard it that way so many times and agonized over this list for such a long period of time.

Otherwise, I'm really glad you thought the overall flow was solid. A few transitions are still questionable, but I filled a lot of the gaps at the last minute with songs I'm into right now. Maybe it won't age that well, but no one will be voting on it in three years unless I get exceptionally lazy with DI16. :wink:

I remember listening to a similarly-constructed list like this, LM, and loved the shit out it. Glad you kept most of the selections and sequencing.

Are you ready for Team NSW/LMP? I bet not.

I remember listening to a similarly-constructed list like this, LM, and loved the shit out it. Glad you kept most of the selections and sequencing.

Are you ready for Team NSW/LMP? I bet not.

Scott Walker's not ready for that sort of team, how could these people be?

Back
Top Bottom