Desert Island VII Master List, Part One - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Huh, it was corrupted for Ashley and I.
i interrupted listening to your list (enjoying it, btw) to play it and it seemed to work fine, weird.
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #32
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
I love the first 8 tracks on this, btw, Andrew. So forgive me if I'm a bit quiet to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
i interrupted listening to your list (enjoying it, btw) to play it and it seemed to work fine, weird.
I'm not looking for things to bitch about, I promise. The rest of Interference has that covered.

Glad you're digging it. I'd say this is one of my more accessible lists; I wanted there to be something for everyone. Had to make up for the lack of Radiohead somehow.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #33
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Nifty transition from Lonesome Tears to Slow Show.

However, the flow has been pretty off for me, if I'm being honest. I don't understand why you split up the list, as A Day In The Life--->Shangri-La was really strong and went in the same vein. On top of that, the subject matter is all over the place.

But this is me overthinking. I'm having a fine time.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #34
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
...and you introduced me to an awesome new song. That Jeremy Enigk track was fucking brilliant. It sounds like something Elliott Smith would have written had he lived to do so.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Huh. Sorry about that. It's odd. I downloaded it after I uploaded it and put it back into my iTunes. I sorted it by the album title once I clicked on the genre (Desert Island) and it was all perfect. It's how I've done every entry to desert island so far.
Yeah, I had no problem either, Travis just needs to get with the iTunes times . But, yes, Shangri-La was corrupt for me.

Ok, I'm home from the gym now, so I have commenting to do. Up to Jeremy Enigk, and, unlike Travis, I think the flow here is great. Maybe not the transitions, but i've barely been paying attention to those. Maybe the musical subject matter doesn't match up, but the feel does, and it's feeling pretty awesome to me at any rate.

Also, I forgot how great "Slow Show" is.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 AM   #36
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
You picked the one Zombies song that doesn't sound like The Zombies. Damn you.

Seriously, everyone needs to hear Odessey and Oracle. Right now. I'd take my own advice, but I need to finish this.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Nifty transition from Lonesome Tears to Slow Show.

However, the flow has been pretty off for me, if I'm being honest. I don't understand why you split up the list, as A Day In The Life--->Shangri-La was really strong and went in the same vein. On top of that, the subject matter is all over the place.

But this is me overthinking. I'm having a fine time.
I've been less about the flow and more about the overall songs and the textures this time. I had a list of songs and artists I really wanted to use. So I'm sure some of the transitions are forced. Ah well. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Yeah, I had no problem either, Travis just needs to get with the iTunes times . But, yes, Shangri-La was corrupt for me.

Ok, I'm home from the gym now, so I have commenting to do. Up to Jeremy Enigk, and, unlike Travis, I think the flow here is great. Maybe not the transitions, but i've barely been paying attention to those. Maybe the musical subject matter doesn't match up, but the feel does, and it's feeling pretty awesome to me at any rate.

Also, I forgot how great "Slow Show" is.
Thanks about the feel. Slow Show was the first song I heard by The National. It was on a mixtape someone made for me. Like an actual Maxell 60 minute audio tape. Because I have a car from the 90s that has a tape deck.

Odd that Shangri-La is sometimes corrupt and sometimes not. IF ANYONE ELSE'S IS, PM ME SO I CAN GET YOU A LINK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
...and you introduced me to an awesome new song. That Jeremy Enigk track was fucking brilliant. It sounds like something Elliott Smith would have written had he lived to do so.
I love Jeremy Enigk. Sunny Day Real Estate was good times....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You picked the one Zombies song that doesn't sound like The Zombies. Damn you.

Seriously, everyone needs to hear Odessey and Oracle. Right now. I'd take my own advice, but I need to finish this.
Yeah. Odessey and Oracle has been one of my albums of the year for this year so far. Every year I wind up with like 5 or 6 old albums that I really discover. That's one of them for this year.
__________________
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Also, I should mention, I'm listening to Imperor's list. It's something I wouldn't have cared for 2 years ago. But now, I love it.
__________________
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 AM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 06:16 PM
haha Beach Boys > Passion Pit worked better than it had any right to.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #40
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I love Jeremy Enigk. Sunny Day Real Estate was good times....
He's from Sunny Day Real Estate?! Learn something new every day. Diary was pretty terrific.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
He's from Sunny Day Real Estate?! Learn something new every day. Diary was pretty terrific.
Jeremy Enigk is the singer from both Sunny Day Real Estate and The Fire Theft. He has also put out four solo albums.
__________________
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Ok, the songs on this are still really great, but I have lost a bit of a touch as far as feeling of the songs together, which is a bit disheartening, because it was SO good at the beginning, but, damn these are some great tracks, (the few on here I don't already know I mean )
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #43
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Walkabout is SO fucking good. Major props for using it; I felt it was really overlooked last year.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Imperor, although I seem to know less about flow than I think I do, your list has it. The songs all go very well together. A few years ago I would have disliked this list because I liked songs with instant gratification much more than songs that I can tell will grow.

Some of the highlights for me from this list were songs I hadn't heard before: these were the tracks by Washed Out, Warpaint, Little Dragon and Phoenix. Other highlights were song I had heard before: the tracks by Beach House, Girls (I almost used that exact song, but scratched it at the last minute--Phanan has proof in the form of a PM!), and Bear In Heaven.

There were only a couple of parts where I lost focus. Surprisingly (to me), one of them was the Radiohead track. The other was the Volcano Choir song and the Faultline song. Also, there was one song that grated on me and momentarily made me want to punch babies. That one was the one by Animal Collective. I seem to not care for anything they put out before MPP.

Strong list!
__________________
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #45
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
Also, there was one song that grated on me and momentarily made me want to punch babies. That one was the one by Animal Collective. I seem to not care for anything they put out before MPP.
I draw the line of awesome somewhere just before the creation of Person Pitch. Everything related to AC was great from then on.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread phanan Just the Bang and the Clatter 199 03-24-2010 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com