Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the first 8 tracks on this, btw, Andrew. :up: So forgive me if I'm a bit quiet to start.

i interrupted listening to your list (enjoying it, btw) to play it and it seemed to work fine, weird.

I'm not looking for things to bitch about, I promise. The rest of Interference has that covered. :wink:

Glad you're digging it. I'd say this is one of my more accessible lists; I wanted there to be something for everyone. Had to make up for the lack of Radiohead somehow.

Nifty transition from Lonesome Tears to Slow Show.

However, the flow has been pretty off for me, if I'm being honest. I don't understand why you split up the list, as A Day In The Life--->Shangri-La was really strong and went in the same vein. On top of that, the subject matter is all over the place.

But this is me overthinking. I'm having a fine time.

...and you introduced me to an awesome new song. That Jeremy Enigk track was fucking brilliant. It sounds like something Elliott Smith would have written had he lived to do so.

Huh. Sorry about that. It's odd. I downloaded it after I uploaded it and put it back into my iTunes. I sorted it by the album title once I clicked on the genre (Desert Island) and it was all perfect. It's how I've done every entry to desert island so far.

Yeah, I had no problem either, Travis just needs to get with the iTunes times ;). But, yes, Shangri-La was corrupt for me.

Ok, I'm home from the gym now, so I have commenting to do. Up to Jeremy Enigk, and, unlike Travis, I think the flow here is great. Maybe not the transitions, but i've barely been paying attention to those. Maybe the musical subject matter doesn't match up, but the feel does, and it's feeling pretty awesome to me at any rate.

Also, I forgot how great "Slow Show" is.

You picked the one Zombies song that doesn't sound like The Zombies. Damn you. :wink:

Seriously, everyone needs to hear Odessey and Oracle. Right now. I'd take my own advice, but I need to finish this.

Nifty transition from Lonesome Tears to Slow Show.

However, the flow has been pretty off for me, if I'm being honest. I don't understand why you split up the list, as A Day In The Life--->Shangri-La was really strong and went in the same vein. On top of that, the subject matter is all over the place.

But this is me overthinking. I'm having a fine time.

I've been less about the flow and more about the overall songs and the textures this time. I had a list of songs and artists I really wanted to use. So I'm sure some of the transitions are forced. Ah well. It is what it is. :)

Yeah, I had no problem either, Travis just needs to get with the iTunes times ;). But, yes, Shangri-La was corrupt for me.

Ok, I'm home from the gym now, so I have commenting to do. Up to Jeremy Enigk, and, unlike Travis, I think the flow here is great. Maybe not the transitions, but i've barely been paying attention to those. Maybe the musical subject matter doesn't match up, but the feel does, and it's feeling pretty awesome to me at any rate.

Also, I forgot how great "Slow Show" is.

Thanks about the feel. :) Slow Show was the first song I heard by The National. It was on a mixtape someone made for me. Like an actual Maxell 60 minute audio tape. Because I have a car from the 90s that has a tape deck.

Odd that Shangri-La is sometimes corrupt and sometimes not. IF ANYONE ELSE'S IS, PM ME SO I CAN GET YOU A LINK!

...and you introduced me to an awesome new song. That Jeremy Enigk track was fucking brilliant. It sounds like something Elliott Smith would have written had he lived to do so.

I love Jeremy Enigk. Sunny Day Real Estate was good times....

You picked the one Zombies song that doesn't sound like The Zombies. Damn you. :wink:

Seriously, everyone needs to hear Odessey and Oracle. Right now. I'd take my own advice, but I need to finish this.

Yeah. Odessey and Oracle has been one of my albums of the year for this year so far. Every year I wind up with like 5 or 6 old albums that I really discover. That's one of them for this year.

Also, I should mention, I'm listening to Imperor's list. It's something I wouldn't have cared for 2 years ago. But now, I love it.

He's from Sunny Day Real Estate?! Learn something new every day. Diary was pretty terrific.

Jeremy Enigk is the singer from both Sunny Day Real Estate and The Fire Theft. He has also put out four solo albums.

Ok, the songs on this are still really great, but I have lost a bit of a touch as far as feeling of the songs together, which is a bit disheartening, because it was SO good at the beginning, but, damn these are some great tracks, (the few on here I don't already know I mean ;))

Walkabout is SO fucking good. Major props for using it; I felt it was really overlooked last year.

Imperor, although I seem to know less about flow than I think I do, your list has it. The songs all go very well together. A few years ago I would have disliked this list because I liked songs with instant gratification much more than songs that I can tell will grow.

Some of the highlights for me from this list were songs I hadn't heard before: these were the tracks by Washed Out, Warpaint, Little Dragon and Phoenix. Other highlights were song I had heard before: the tracks by Beach House, Girls (I almost used that exact song, but scratched it at the last minute--Phanan has proof in the form of a PM!), and Bear In Heaven.

There were only a couple of parts where I lost focus. Surprisingly (to me), one of them was the Radiohead track. The other was the Volcano Choir song and the Faultline song. Also, there was one song that grated on me and momentarily made me want to punch babies. That one was the one by Animal Collective. I seem to not care for anything they put out before MPP.

Strong list! :up:

Also, there was one song that grated on me and momentarily made me want to punch babies. That one was the one by Animal Collective. I seem to not care for anything they put out before MPP.

I draw the line of awesome somewhere just before the creation of Person Pitch. Everything related to AC was great from then on.

I draw the line of awesome somewhere just before the creation of Person Pitch. Everything related to AC was great from then on.

I must need to listen to Person Pitch again. This first time I listened to it, I liked Comfy In Nautica and thought the rest was blah.

I'm going to start downloading and listening next week once I get my gig limit reset this weekend. Then, your lists are all getting my ear.

LM, I just imported your list into iTunes... and had to retag it to make it easier to find. :laugh: So, that one will be my next listen. But that listen will not happen today*.

*it's still Thursday on the west coast.

LM, I just imported your list into iTunes... and had to retag it to make it easier to find. :laugh: So, that one will be my next listen. But that listen will not happen today*.

*it's still Thursday on the west coast.

No fucking way. :lol: I even placed track numbers on each. Karma :sad:

My links are almost upped to Send Space, I'll have LemonMelon forward them to Phanan (I miss being premium :() but if anyone wants them beforehand, please lemme know :)

No fucking way. :lol: I even placed track numbers on each. Karma :sad:

Actually, in iTunes, it seems that instead of it being tagged as track 1 of 37, 2 of 37 etc., it is tagged as disc 1 of 37, 2 of 37 etc. That's a lot of discs. :wink:

Anyway, I generally wind up retagging 3/4ths of these lists anyway. No problemos.

The Peter, Bjorn and John track is just awful. Otherwise, this disc has been positively indietastic, with emphasis on the tastic.

Actually, in iTunes, it seems that instead of it being tagged as track 1 of 37, 2 of 37 etc., it is tagged as disc 1 of 37, 2 of 37 etc. That's a lot of discs. :wink:

Anyway, I generally wind up retagging 3/4ths of these lists anyway. No problemos.

I assumed everyone would just drag the folder in and it would pop up just fine. Worked for me. I'll definitely look out for that next time.

Finer Feelings :dance:

Also, I'm still not entirely sure if indietastic is a good thing or not. I suppose it depends on who is saying it? :)

Also, I'm still not entirely sure if indietastic is a good thing or not. I suppose it depends on who is saying it? :)

It's inherently disparaging, but affectionately so, as the only people who know where the word came from ARE hipsters.

That was a great collection of songs, Andrew. I definitely preferred the first two "albums", though more of my favorite songs were on the second half, not sure why that worked out like it did, but I wasn't as gripped by the second half.

OK, done. Pretty terrific as far as the song choices are concerned, flow was good enough. It was jumpy overall, but some individual transitions were really good. No major complaints.

Songs: A-
Flow N' Shit: B-
Overall: B+

OK, so, song tagging. What are the preferences? Would like to know before I go and upload. In the past, I've wavered between half-arsed attempts and not doing it. I tend to prefer receiving files with their original tags, even if that means I have to go through and put them into a new playlist, just because that's how I like my own music collection sorted. But I'm not the one who's going to be listening to this, you know? So I'm happy to put in effort to tag it however's preferred.

Back
Top Bottom