Desert Island VII Master List, Part One - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2010, 05:45 AM   #136
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,048
Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Yes. The best shit. Especially after 2 AM, preferably drunk off your ass. Might even work as a soundtrack to the hangover too. Really amusing observations and turns of phrase over chill music with melodies that truly sound like they've been around forever. The Heart Of Saturday Night is in that very same vein, which has Please Call Me, Baby and the title track, two of my very favorite Tom Waits songs.
awesome. sounds great, been looking for an album like that, will purchase pronto !
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #137
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 11:05 PM
I just realized that both LM and Ashley have Teardrop on their lists. Yikes.

Oh well, get ready for a third list with it. What a coincidence.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #138
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I just realized that both LM and Ashley have Teardrop on their lists. Yikes.

Oh well, get ready for a third list with it. What a coincidence.
it got cut from my final draft, before i even saw their lists.

hell.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 10:05 PM
well I finally got the tourist's to work..! so i'm listening to that now

still haven't gotten my links uploaded... however I will keep trying
__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 11:05 PM
I now have the next five playlists for the second Master thread.

They will be:

PhilsFan
cobl04
phanan
Cute Irish Bono
AtomicBono

If anyone has finished the first five and wish to get a head start on the next group, feel free to PM me and I'll send a playlist your way.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 11:05 PM
Going to be starting LM's playlist in a moment. I count six artists here that are on mine as well, with two songs the same. In other words, I'll probably like it.
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 08:05 PM
I'm working on LM's list at the moment as well.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #143
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
If anyone has finished the first five and wish to get a head start on the next group, feel free to PM me and I'll send a playlist your way.
I'll get in on this, and Ashley would like the links as well. I'm a very popular guy, so I've received 0 PMs since your last one; no chance of deleting them.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 08:05 PM
And I just finished it actually. Some of the transitions were pretty masterful. Willie Nelson->Tom Waits, Outkast->Eels both worked extremely well. That said, to me, the songs were much less enjoyable than the flow of the list.

Some of the songs were songs I really, really enjoyed. Those I'd heard before being by The Stone Roses, The Cure, Surfer Blood, Fleet Foxes, and Coldplay (I had a notion you didn't like Coldplay much, though, so I was surprised you used them in your list and referenced them in your title). Those I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed were those by Camera Obscura, Ryan Adams, Doves, Eels, and Spoon.

But there were also many songs on this list that I didn't particularly enjoy at all. Some of these artists are artists I've tried to like before, and had been considering giving another shot recently, but the songs herein reminded me why I had originally given up on them (Blur, Built To Spill, LCD Sound System, Neil Young). Also, I didn't care for some of the stuff by people I'd heard very little of (but had never tried to get into in the first place) such as Joni Mitchell, Liz Phair, and Randy Newman.

The rest of the tracks that I didn't mention fit in with me as being between average and above average (ie, I like Simon and Garfunkel, but America is one of my lesser favourite tracks, but still very solid).

Overall, very, very well put together. It's just not as much my style as I'd hoped.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 08:05 PM
And now I'm listening to Ashley's list.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #146
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
And I just finished it actually. Some of the transitions were pretty masterful. Willie Nelson->Tom Waits, Outkast->Eels both worked extremely well. That said, to me, the songs were much less enjoyable than the flow of the list.

Some of the songs were songs I really, really enjoyed. Those I'd heard before being by The Stone Roses, The Cure, Surfer Blood, Fleet Foxes, and Coldplay (I had a notion you didn't like Coldplay much, though, so I was surprised you used them in your list and referenced them in your title). Those I hadn't heard before that I really enjoyed were those by Camera Obscura, Ryan Adams, Doves, Eels, and Spoon.

But there were also many songs on this list that I didn't particularly enjoy at all. Some of these artists are artists I've tried to like before, and had been considering giving another shot recently, but the songs herein reminded me why I had originally given up on them (Blur, Built To Spill, LCD Sound System, Neil Young). Also, I didn't care for some of the stuff by people I'd heard very little of (but had never tried to get into in the first place) such as Joni Mitchell, Liz Phair, and Randy Newman.

The rest of the tracks that I didn't mention fit in with me as being between average and above average (ie, I like Simon and Garfunkel, but America is one of my lesser favourite tracks, but still very solid).

Overall, very, very well put together. It's just not as much my style as I'd hoped.
Disappointed that a number of the tracks did nothing for you, but I am at least glad you thought it all held together really well. Realistically, it's the only thing I can control; I can't make anyone enjoy the songs, but I can put together a list that's obviously lived-in and cohesive, which I felt I managed to do.

I'm by no means a Coldplay fan, but I do love Parachutes, as well as a few select songs from the following three albums. Strawberry Swing is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and it has some thematic significance that I would get into but don't want to seem like more of an attention whore than I already am.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Through the first 9 tracks and HOLY 80s, BATMAN! Not that I should be surprised. Some of those choices were a bit hit-or-miss for me. I loved The Killers track and the fun. track (hadn't heard either before), and of course I've always loved Bizarre Love Triangle. As is probably well known by now, though, I don't like Bruce Springsteen. []
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Disappointed that a number of the tracks did nothing for you, but I am at least glad you thought it all held together really well. Realistically, it's the only thing I can control; I can't make anyone enjoy the songs, but I can put together a list that's obviously lived-in and cohesive, which I felt I managed to do.

I'm by no means a Coldplay fan, but I do love Parachutes, as well as a few select songs from the following three albums. Strawberry Swing is one of my favorite songs of the decade, and it has some thematic significance that I would get into but don't want to seem like more of an attention whore than I already am.
Well this is the first list of artists not involving you that hasn't been a super hit for me. It was bound to happen at some point! I suppose I am just disappointed as compared to previous lists.
__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 11:05 PM
I'm moving through LM's list and am up to Leonard Cohen. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, and most of the transitions have been solid, especially Camera Obscura -> Surfer Blood. I thought that was great, and on paper I didn't think it would work.

Liz Phair -> Simon & Garfunkel, on the other hand, not so much. Good songs though (I've got America on mine, although I took it from the Best Of for a clean edit).
__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,064
Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quite the spectacular stretch going on right now. While Willie Nelson into Tom Waits was an abrupt edit, the move from there to Randy Newman was fantastic; this whole section has been a real treat. I even didn't mind Ryan Adams, and I usually can't stand him. Currently up to Coldplay.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Desert Island VII: Rules and Signup Thread phanan Just the Bang and the Clatter 199 03-24-2010 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com