Desert Island VII Master List, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Welcome to our final Master List thread.

Down to the last four entries (Mr. V had to drop out).

Gonna extend things out a bit further again. These are the dates to remember:

May 17 - Rankings Due
May 19 @ 10pm EST - Results Thread

LMP/No spoken words

atangerinedream.jpg

Collaborating on such a list is not necessarily a good idea. You'd like these lists to reflect something personal, be it a vibe, emotions or just your tastes. The positive side to such an effort is that, inevitably, songs are brought to the table by one person that were simply not known to the other. So not only did we have fun putting this together, but we were exposed to a few new songs that we immediately liked. And so, in the end, this list manages to sidestep the aforementioned negative aspect to a collaboration in that we both can honestly say that the list contains songs we both like, with an order we both feel works.

The list has a theme, as well, albeit a simple one. It's a day in the life of an anonymous person, and the list carries us through four parts of this person's day:

Segment 1 takes us from the morning to the early afternoon

Segment 2 takes us from the mid-afternoon to early evening

Segment 3 takes us from evening to midnight

Segment 4 takes us from midnight to dawn

My only hope is that after an exhausting 24 hours, our protagonist can finally sleep. And dream........a Tangerine Dream.

A Light That Never Goes Out: Morning to Early Afternoon
1. The Pretenders - "Message of Love" - Pretenders II (3:26)
2. The Rolling Stones - "Happy" - Exile on Main St. (3:02)
3. The Clash - "I Fought the Law" - The Clash (2:41)
4. Pixies - "Wave of Mutilation" - Doolittle (2:06)
5. The Replacements - "I Will Dare" - Let It Be (3:16)
6. The Smiths - "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" - The Queen Is Dead (4:05)
7. The Sundays - "Joy" - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic (4:11)
8. John Lennon & Yoko Ono - "Woman" - Double Fantasy (3:33)

Lonesome Town: Mid-Afternoon to Early Evening
9. My Morning Jacket - "Gideon" - Z (3:30)
10. Broken Social Scene - "Major Label Debut" - Broken Social Scene (4:28)
11. The Magnetic Fields - "All My Little Words" - 69 Love Songs (2:46)
12. The National - "90-Mile Water Wall" - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers (3:44)
13. Simon & Garfunkel - "April Come She Will" - Sounds of Silence (1:48)
14. Fleetwood Mac - "Sara" - Tusk (6:23)
15. Elton John - "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" - Honky Chateau (4:58)
16. Ricky Nelson - "Lonesome Town" - Ricky Sings Again (2:15)
17. Fleet Foxes - "Blue Ridge Mountains" - Fleet Foxes (4:26)
18. Radiohead - "Exit Music (For a Film)" - OK Computer (4:25)
19. U2 - "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)" - Zooropa (4:58)

Excursions: Evening to Midnight
20. A Tribe Called Quest - "Excursions (ft. The Last Poets)" - The Low End Theory (3:55)
21. Faithless - "Mass Destruction" - No Roots (3:32)
22. Living Colour - "Time's Up" - Time's Up (3:07)
23. Catherine Wheel - "Love Tips Up" - Happy Days (3:56)
24. The Ocean Blue - "Between Something and Nothing" - The Ocean Blue (4:04)
25. David Bowie - "Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)" - Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (3:35)
26. Joy Division - "A Means to An End" - Closer (4:08)
27. Asobi Seksu - "Glacially" - Hush (4:19)
28. Lush - "Sweetness and Light" - Gala (5:22)
29. The Flaming Lips - "Goin' On" - At War with the Mystics (3:40)

After Hours: Midnight to Dawn
30. Bloc Party - "Kreuzberg" - A Weekend in the City (5:14)
31. Arcade Fire - "Rebellion (Lies)" - Funeral (5:11)
32. Elbow - "Mirrorball" - The Seldom Seen Kid (5:50)
33. R.E.M. - "Suspicion" - Up (5:37)
34. Ace - "How Long?" - Five-a-Side (3:24)
35. The Commodores - "Still" - Midnight Magic (3:45)
36. Otis Redding - "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul (4:18)
37. Tom Waits - "Martha" - Closing Time (4:31)
38. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - "New York City Serenade" - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle (9:56)
39. The Velvet Underground - "After Hours" - The Velvet Underground (2:13)

Total Time: 2:39:16

Axver

YOU'RE JUST TOO OBSCURE FOR ME

My passion for New Zealand is not much of a secret. Two of my past lists have been in some way connected to the country - one a story of early colonial life, the other a nostalgic hometown reflection. New Zealand musicians have routinely shown up in my lists. This list takes that fascination to its logical conclusion, and will by necessity guide my future lists further afield. It is, quite simply, a list devoted exclusively to New Zealand music. Every song on this list was performed by a New Zealand band (or in two cases, bands formed in Melbourne, Australia featuring New Zealanders famous from Split Enz).

This list naturally reflects my biases with regards to New Zealand music. It focuses heavily on the "Dunedin Sound" scene of the 1980s and early 1990s, a scene that in fact did not have one single sound, but ranged from jangle pop to lo-fi rock to noise experimentation. It was popularised by independent record label Flying Nun, whose founder Roger Shepherd released any music he liked, regardless of its (lack of) commercial appeal. Although the scene's hub was the southern city of Dunedin, a significant number of bands actually came from elsewhere in New Zealand, most notably Christchurch's The Bats and Auckland's Able Tasmans, not to mention the scene's most influential musician, Martin Phillipps of The Chills, a Wellingtonian by birth.

Beyond the Dunedin Sound, my list provides some attention to the various projects of Split Enz members, notably brothers Neil and Tim Finn. The Screaming Meemees and Blam Blam Blam provide representation for the North Shore Invasion and the pre-Flying Nun scene in Auckland. You'll find some other stuff around the place too; even a bit of my beloved post-rock via the Hawkes Bay. Some scenes have unfortunately been neglected; I confess to little knowledge of New Zealand music prior to the late 1970s (The Avengers are the sole 1960s band), I wilfully neglected the rubbish of the contemporary South Auckland scene, and Salmonella Dub just sounded ludicrously out of place.

You will notice the recording quality of some tracks is ... not ideal. Shut out by the major recording companies, many bands of the 1980s resorted to whatever recording equipment they could get their hands on, forcing a lo-fi aesthetic upon their music. Many of these recordings were pressed solely on vinyl and are rather scarce, hence it was difficult to even find a copy (good luck finding Terraces, for instance). Do forgive the failings of any rips. I think the songwriting and passion of the musicians outweighs any shortcomings of the recording conditions and the rips. I hope you do too.

1. Dimmer - "Degrees Of Existence" - Degrees Of Existence (4:30)
2. Blam Blam Blam - "There Is No Depression In New Zealand" - It's Bigger Than Both Of Us: New Zealand Singles, 1979-82 (3:19)
3. Bailter Space - "Projects" - Vortura (5:07)
4. Children's Hour - "Caroline's Dream" - Flesh (3:15)
5. Nocturnal Projections - "You'll Never Know" - Another Year (3:39)
6. Bored Games - "Joe 90" - Who Killed Colonel Mustard (4:36)
7. Goblin Mix - "Unusual Wish" - Goblin Mix (3:17)
8. The Bats - "Treason" - Daddy's Highway (2:56)
9. The Chills - "Part Past Part Fiction" - Submarine Bells (2:56)
10. TIm Finn - "Persuasion" - North, South, East, West (3:53)
11. Straitjacket Fits - "Down In Splendour" - Melt (3:39)
12. The Wild Poppies - "Colourdrift" - Heroine (3:55)
13. Terraces - "A Place Like This" - A Place Like This / Pictorial (5:26)
14. The Screaming Meemees - "Sunday Boys" - It's Bigger Than Both Of Us: New Zealand Singles 1979-82 (3:45)
15. The Verlaines - "New Kind Of Hero" - Juvenilia (3:20)
16. Look Blue Go Purple - "Safety In Crosswords" - Look Blue Go Purple (3:17)
17. Schnell Fenster - "Whisper" - The Sound Of Trees (3:48)
18. The Magick Heads - "Before We Go Under" - Before We Go Under (2:54)
19. Finn Brothers - "Suffer Never" - Finn Brothers (4:00)
20. The Avengers - "Love, Hate, Revenge" - Electric Recording (2:39)
21. The Terminals - "No" - Cul-de-Sac (1:56)
22. Martin Phillipps - "February" - Sketch Book Volume One (2:50)
23. Bike - "Take In The Sun" - Take In The Sun (3:14)
24. Swingers - "Ayatollah" - Counting The Beat (3:39)
25. The Clean - "Point That Thing Somewhere Else" - Anthology (5:28)
26. Pop Art Toasters - "Circles" - Pop Art Toasters (2:27)
27. The Exploding Budgies - "Hank Marvin" - Grotesque Singers (3:06)
28. 3Ds - "Man On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" - The Venus Trail (4:08)
29. Toy Love - "Rebel" - Cuts (2:22)
30. Gordons - "Coalminer's Song" - Gordons / Future Shock (5:46)
31. This Will Kill That - "Two Way Prong" - Nailed Out (4:14)
32. Ghost Club - "Cool Air" - Ghostclubbing (3:40)
33. Skeptics - "And We Bake" - Amalgam (4:31)
34. Headless Chickens - "Mr Moon" - Body Blow (4:31)
35. Split Enz - "Dirty Creature" - Time And Tide (4:02)
36. Able Tasmans - "School Is No Good For You" - Somebody Ate My Planet (6:43)
37. Jakob - "The Diffusion Of Our Inherent Situation" - Cale Drew (6:12)
38. Evermore - "Everyone (Moving On)" - Dreams (5:23)
39. Crowded House - "When You Come" - Temple Of Low Men (4:46)

Runtime: 152:39

namkcuR

Aurora Borealis

I spent more time on this playlist than any I've made before - this is the second main DI I've done(the other was the very first DI), but the fourth DI I've done counting the mini-games(Symphonic Island, Retro Island, and Best Of 2000s). Going in, I decided to make a playlist with an electronic/classical/otherwise instrumental theme. I really wanted this playlist to sound like fantasy, maybe even somewhat otherworldly at times - that's why I named it 'Aurora Borealis', because Aurorae Borealis look like fantasy, and I wanted this to sound like fantasy; whether or not I succeeded in that, you'll tell me, but that was my aim here. I modified the tag information for Album and Track Number for all of the tracks, so I think they should appear in the right order automatically, but I can't promise that they will, because I modified the information with VLC Player and I don't know if ITunes will see the changes correctly(I use ITunes primarily, but I would've had to import second copies of everything since I don't want to modify my main copies, and that would've been confusing). I uploaded it all in one zip, so it's a bit on the large side - if that's an inconvenience to anyone, I can split it in two.

cover1c.png

The first part of the playlist is the electronic part - some of it is pure 100% electronic music, some of it is electronic-influenced music, some of it is video game music. A couple of notes about the first two tracks - the first track sounds orchestral but is actually electronic, because the orchestra isn't real, from what I understand, and the second track is the only track in the first part that is 0% electronic, it's completely orchestral. For this part in particular, I used it as an excuse to listen to some big electronic names that I had been wanting to listen to more of for a while now - Kraftwerk, Daft Punk, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Komputer(not so well known, I guess), the NIN Ghosts album, and Genesis(ok, they're not an electronic artist, but the second half of the track I picked fits the electronic mold fairly well). I also discovered Royksopp via somebody else's playlist in this DI, really digging them. I enjoyed listening to all this electronic music, it's a genre I've wanted to get to know better for a while now.

Book I:

1. Koji Kondo - "Overworld" - Zelda Sound And Drama (2:50)
2. Klaus Doldinger - "Bastian's Happy Flight" - The Neverending Story Soundtrack(3:13)
3. My Bloody Valentine - "To Here Knows When" - Loveless (5:31)
4. Daft Punk - "Veridis Quo" - Discovery (5:45)
5. Shiny Toy Guns - "Major Tom" - Major Tom (4:11)
6. Kleerup feat. Robyn - "With Every Heartbeat" - Kleerup (4:08)
7. Royksopp feat. Lykki Li - "Miss It So Much" - Junior (5:02)
8. Kraftwerk - "Spacelab" - The Man-Machine (5:55)
9. Komputer - "Motopia" - The World Of Tomorrow (2:57)
10. U2 - "Lady With The Spinning Head[Extended Dance Mix] - The Best Of 1990-2000 (6:08)
11. The Chemical Brothers - "The Private Psychedelic Reel" - Singles 93-03 (9:08)
12. Yumiko Kameya/Naoto Ishida - "Mute City" - F-Zero OSV (1:53)
13. Nine Inch Nails - "Ghosts II 05" - Ghosts (3:06)
14. Grandaddy - "A.M. 180" - Under The Western Freeway (3:21)
15. Genesis - "The Cinema Show" - Selling England By The Pound (11:06)
16. Aphex Twin - "Goon Gumpas" - Richard D. James Album ( 2:03)
17. Bjork - "Unison" - Vespertine (6:49)
18. Radiohead - "Kid A" - Kid A (4:44)
19. Shiho Fujii, Ryo Nagamatsu - "Castle BGM" - New Super Mario Bros. Wii OST (2:46)

Total Running Time: 1:30:27

cover2m.png

The second part of the playlist is largely orchestral in nature…it's got video game music, some classical pieces, some proggy stuff(Bowie, Floyd), some rock-symphonic stuff(Muse), and a Sigur Ros track(which doesn't exactly sound like it fits the theme on paper but I think fits in really well). This part is pretty heavy, it has a fairly dark vibe at times, but I think there's a lot of really beautiful and powerful music here. I kind of used the Exogenesis Symphony as a centerpiece here, and I think all four of the tracks preceding it sort of build up to it. A note about the way I chose to end it; I may have made the ending a little too epic, with the huge build up in the second half of the Sigur Ros track leading into the almost-half-hour-long Pink Floyd track. I honestly thought both tracks sounded like 'grand finale' type tracks, but in the end, the last 1-2 minutes of Atom Heart Mother are just too epic to be anywhere but the end for me. I used the Final Fantasy IV Prologue as a post-ending epilogue type thing. Yes, I appreciate the irony of using a track called 'Prologue' for that purpose. But the FF games themselves have all played some variation of the track during the end credits, after the big ending, for years now, even though it was originally the prologue in FFIV. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do, I'm pretty proud of this playlist.

Book II:

1. Shinsei Nihon Symphony Orchestra - "Birth Of The People ~ Sacrifices" - ActRaiser Symphonic Suite (3:05) *Composed by Yuzo Koshrio
2. Andre Rieu - "Aquarium"(from Saint-Saens' "Carnival Of The Animals") - Romantic Paradise (2:27)
3. David Bowie - "Warszawa" - Low (6:24)
4. Yuzo Koshiro - "Last Moment Of The Dark" - Ys Books I & II OST (2:23)
5. Muse - "Exogenesis: Symphony" - The Resistance (12:51)
-------5. "Pt. 1: Overture" (4:19)
-------6. "Pt. 2: Cross-Pollination" (3:56)
-------7. "Pt. 3: Redemption" (4:37)
8. Arthur Rubinstein - "Nocturne Op. 9/No. 2 in E-flat" - The Chopin Collection (4:27)
9. Sigur Ros - "Festival" - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust (9:24)
10. Pink Floyd - "Atom Heart Mother" - Atom Heart Mother (23:44)
11. Nobuo Uematsu - "Prologue(Arranged)" - Final Fantasy IV Minimum Album (4:54)

Total Running Time: 1:09:33

Grand Total Running Time: 2:40:00

GirlsAloudFan

shocked-kids-at-computer.jpg

A weird three day sex orgy featuring Gaga, Gwyneth Paltrow, Thom Yorke, Bob Geldof, and a great Blur song at the end

Day One:

1. Lady Gaga - "Bad Romance" - The Fame Monster - (4:57)
2. Outkast - "B.O.B." - Stankonia - (4:39)
3. The Knife - "Heartbeats" - Deep Cuts - (3:54)
4. La Roux - "Bulletproof" - La Roux - (3:27)
5. Radiohead - "15 Step" - In Rainbows - (3:58)
6. TV On The Radio - "Dancing Choose" - Dear Science, - (2:56)
7. Super Furry Animals - "Something 4 The Weekend" - Songbook, Vol. 1 - (2:55)
8. Two Gallants - "Las Cruces Jail" - What The Toll Tells - (5:46)
9. My Morning Jacket - "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2" - Evil Urges - (8:12)

Day Two:

1. U2 - "The First Time" - Zooropa - (3:45)
2. R.E.M. - "At My Most Beautiful" - Up - (3:36)
3. Lily Allen - "Littlest Things" - Alright, Still - (3:02)
4. David Bowie - "Life On Mars?" - Hunky Dory - (3:54)
5. The Boomtown Rats - "I Don't Like Mondays" - The Fine Art of Surfacing - (4:21)
6. The Rolling Stones - "Monkey Man" - Let It Bleed - (4:15)
7. Supergrass - "Alright" - I Should Coco - (3:01)
8. The Mountain Goats - "This Year" - The Sunset Tree - (3:53)
9. Coldplay - "Lost!" - Viva La Vida - (3:55)
10. 2Pac - "Ghetto Gospel" - Loyal To The Game - (3:58)
11. John Lennon - "God" - Plastic Ono Band - (4:11)
12. The White Stripes - "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)" - Get Behind Me, Satan - (4:20)

Day Three:

1. Led Zeppelin - "D'yer Mak'er" - Houses of the Holy - (4:23)
2. The Strokes - "Under Control" - Room On Fire - (3:07)
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Gold Lion" - Show Your Bones - (3:01)
4. PJ Harvey feat. Thom Yorke - "This Mess We're In" - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea - (3:57)
5. Fountains of Wayne - "Hackensack" - Welcome Interstate Managers - (3:00)
6. The Last Shadow Puppets - "Meeting Place" - The Age of the Understatement - (3:56)
7. Elliott Smith - "Twilight" - From A Basement On The Hill - (4:29)
8. Guns 'N' Roses - "One In A Million" - GNR Lies - (6:08)
9. Pearl Jam - "Off He Goes" - No Code - (6:03)
10. The Good Life - "Album of the Year" - Album of the Year - (5:12)
11. Third Eye Blind - "Slow Motion" - Blue - (4:34)
12. Bob Dylan - "If You See Her, Say Hello" - Blood On The Tracks - (4:49)
13. Blur - "Tender" - 13 - (7:41)

Total Running Time: 144 minutes

Mr. V

1. The White Stripes - "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" - Elephant (2:44)
2. Arctic Monkeys - "The View From The Afternoon" - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (3:37)
3. The Black Keys - "Strange Times" - Attack & Release (3:10)
4. Wild Beasts - "All The King's Men" - Two Dancers (4:00)
5. Pulp - "Common People" - Different Class (5:52)
6. The Strokes - "Trying Your Luck" - Is This It (3:28)
7. Franz Ferdinand - "Lucid Dreams" - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand (7:56)
8. Justin Timberlake - "Love Stoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude)" - FutureSex/LoveSounds (7:24)
9. The xx - "Crystalised" - xx (3:22)
10. The Last Shadow Puppets - "The Chamber" - The Age of the Understatement (2:37)
11. The Flaming Lips - "Are You a Hypnotist??" - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (4:45)
12. Animal Collective - "Bluish" - Merriweather Post Pavilion (5:16)
13. Passengers - "Your Blue Room" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
14. Massive Attack - "Protection (7" Edit)" - Singles 90/98 (4:55)
15. Four Tet - "Love Cry" - There is Love in You (9:13)
16. The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour (4:11)
17. The Beta Band - "Dry the Rain" - The Three EPs (6:05)
18. Ryan Adams - "My Winding Wheel" - Heartbreaker (3:13)
19. The Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored" - The Stone Roses (4:53)
20. The Brian Jonestown Massacre - "Vaccuum Boots" - Take It From The Man! (2:57)
21. Japandroids - "Heart Sweats" - Post-Nothing (4:25)
22. Los Campesinos! - "It's Never That Easy Though, Is It? (Song for the Other Kurt)" - We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (2:21)
23. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - "Which Way to Go" - Primary Colours (3:17)
24. Frightened Rabbit - "Skip the Youth" - The Winter of Mixed Drinks (6:19)
25. The Smiths - "How Soon is Now?" - Meat is Murder (6:46)
26. Interpol - "NYC" - Turn on the Bright Lights (4:20)
27. Gotye - "Heart's A Mess" - Like Drawing Blood (6:06)
28. Dion - "Only You Know" - Alex Turner Compilation from The Bowery (4:46)
29. Grizzly Bear - "While You Wait for the Others" - Veckatimest (4:30)
30. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Hysteric" - It's Blitz! (3:52)
31. LCD Soundsystem - "Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up" - LCD Soundsystem (4:50)
32. U2 - "City of Blinding Lights (Hot Chip 2006 Remix)" - Artificial Horizon (6:19)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mildly distressed that I had to pull out. My internet is just not letting me upload my zips. Unfortunate, because I think this list is stronger than the one that won me the last DI:

1. The White Stripes - "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" - Elephant (2:44)
2. Arctic Monkeys - "The View From The Afternoon" - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (3:37)
3. The Black Keys - "Strange Times" - Attack & Release (3:10)
4. Wild Beasts - "All The King's Men" - Two Dancers (4:00)
5. Pulp - "Common People" - Different Class (5:52)
6. The Strokes - "Trying Your Luck" - Is This It (3:28)
7. Franz Ferdinand - "Lucid Dreams" - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand (7:56)
8. Justin Timberlake - "Love Stoned/I Think She Knows (Interlude)" - FutureSex/LoveSounds (7:24)
9. The xx - "Crystalised" - xx (3:22)
10. The Last Shadow Puppets - "The Chamber" - The Age of the Understatement (2:37)
11. The Flaming Lips - "Are You a Hypnotist??" - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (4:45)
12. Animal Collective - "Bluish" - Merriweather Post Pavilion (5:16)
13. Passengers - "Your Blue Room" - Original Soundtracks 1 (5:28)
14. Massive Attack - "Protection (7" Edit)" - Singles 90/98 (4:55)
15. Four Tet - "Love Cry" - There is Love in You (9:13)
16. The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" - Magical Mystery Tour (4:11)
17. The Beta Band - "Dry the Rain" - The Three EPs (6:05)
18. Ryan Adams - "My Winding Wheel" - Heartbreaker (3:13)
19. The Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored" - The Stone Roses (4:53)
20. The Brian Jonestown Massacre - "Vaccuum Boots" - Take It From The Man! (2:57)
21. Japandroids - "Heart Sweats" - Post-Nothing (4:25)
22. Los Campesinos! - "It's Never That Easy Though, Is It? (Song for the Other Kurt)" - We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed (2:21)
23. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - "Which Way to Go" - Primary Colours (3:17)
24. Frightened Rabbit - "Skip the Youth" - The Winter of Mixed Drinks (6:19)
25. The Smiths - "How Soon is Now?" - Meat is Murder (6:46)
26. Interpol - "NYC" - Turn on the Bright Lights (4:20)
27. Gotye - "Heart's A Mess" - Like Drawing Blood (6:06)
28. Dion - "Only You Know" - Alex Turner Compilation from The Bowery (4:46)
29. Grizzly Bear - "While You Wait for the Others" - Veckatimest (4:30)
30. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Hysteric" - It's Blitz! (3:52)
31. LCD Soundsystem - "Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up" - LCD Soundsystem (4:50)
32. U2 - "City of Blinding Lights (Hot Chip 2006 Remix)" - Artificial Horizon (6:19)

These lists look exceptional. Too bad about Mr. V's list. It looks good to me in theory.

Mr. V was able to get his playlist uploaded after all, so he's now back in the competition.

Khan, I'll send you a PM as well, but could you please copy and paste Mr. V's playlist and add it to the end of my first post so that it is included? Thanks.

Yeah, this sure isn't the typical Ax playlist.

I recognize some of the artists from past entries, like The Bats, Straightjacket Fits, etc. And of course I'm familiar with all Finn related projects, but most of this is new to me, which is the point.

Can't say I'm liking all of it, but there have been some things here and there that I've really enjoyed, starting with the very first track, which I thought was fantastic. Others didn't impress me as much, but there wasn't anything truly appalling either.

While listening, I read up a bit on the Dunedin Sound scene. A fascinating history, and interesting to see how some of the influences weren't from other punk bands at the time, but rather The Velvet Underground and The Stooges (at least according to wiki). I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, I'll have more to say as I finish it out.

The last group of songs ended up being the part I liked the best. Dirty Creature is one of best Enz songs, you got in a little post-rock with Jakob, I had never heard the Evermore song and really dug it, and finally, you closed the whole thing out with a gorgeous Crowdies track.

I appreciated the chance to get to know more of the music from where you come from. I honestly prefer some of your other playlists over this one, not because I'm more familiar with that material, but simply because that's more to my taste. Still, it was good to check out some stuff that I would most likely never hear otherwise. You can never go wrong with that.

I've begun namkcuR's playlist. On paper, there appears to be quite a bit that I'll like.

Took a few tracks to get going; while I liked the opener, I didn't think the next two songs fit very well, but once Daft Punk started, things picked up considerably (although I prefer the original Major Tom). Great Kraftwerk track you chose, from my favorite album of theirs. Miss It So Much is good, although I prefer other songs from that album.

So that's where I'm at now, Spacelab.

I had to stop yesterday, but I've continued on this morning.

Book I complete. As I really like electronic music, this was a very good listen. My only two complaints - I don't like Björk (but that's just personal taste, so nothing you could have done there), and Genesis doesn't belong. If anything, it looks like it would have been better for the next part, although I haven't listened to that yet. It's a fantastic track though; I had it on my Prog Island playlist way back when.

Thoughts on Book II...

Didn't like it as much as Book I, but still good. You've got balls for putting Atom Heart Mother on there. While it fits in with what you were doing here, it's not exactly one of Pink Floyd's best moments, in my opinion. Muse, on the other hand, was perfect. And Festival was fine where it was.

Great effort. It sounds like you put a lot into it, and it shows. :up:

Moved right on to GAF's...

I've listened to Day One so far. Loved the first four songs grouped together like that. Awesome start. A bit of a transition from there to Radiohead, but it worked ok. I guess the one thing that I considered only average was that Two Gallants track, but it wasn't exactly awful either.

Great start.

Was able to sneak in Day Two earlier. I think I prefer Day One, but this was still very good. Great Stones choice, and you dug out some other classics like Alright and I Don't Like Mondays, which always works for me.

Don't care for Life On Mars, which is nothing new, and I thought going from 2Pac to Lennon was a bit odd, but otherwise another fine set.

Probably won't get to Day Three until tomorrow sometime.

Correction, I did tag them as LMP/NSW, but Mediafire tagged it as just me. I'm not that narcissistic... at least in that regard.

Finished up GAF's today. After the first few songs, it turned out to be quite the mellow Day Three. Nice call on Fountains Of Wayne - there's so much more to that album than just Stacy's Mom, and Hackensack is one of the best cuts on there. Also loved the G'nR/Pearl Jam pairing. Was never real big on Elliott Smith's material, nor Third Eye Blind (although I have a soft spot for Never Let You Go). Zeppelin and Dylan certainly are worthy inclusions, and Tender is an all-time classic and a nice way to wrap things up.

Really enjoyed it GAF. I had high expectations since it took you so long to get this in...good thing you succeeded!

well i'll be starting up on evening - midnight tomorrow morning on the way to work.

so far however, i can't say i've overly enjoyed the list. quite a number of good songs in there (Happy, Gideon, Stay, among others) but a fair few i didn't really care for. i am of the opinion that There is a Light that Never Goes Out is not in fact the second coming of Christ, as a lot of people would have me believe. i've really enjoyed every National song i've heard in this comp. and Lonesome Town > Blue Ridge Mountains > Exit Music was seamless. great job there.

I don't know anyone that says There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the second coming of The Christs, though it's a damn fine little song.

Uh, I don't know which list to listen to next - probably Phanan's. GAF's looks like fun.

i am of the opinion that There is a Light that Never Goes Out is not in fact the second coming of Christ, as a lot of people would have me believe. i've really enjoyed every National song i've heard in this comp. and Lonesome Town > Blue Ridge Mountains > Exit Music was seamless. great job there.

See below.

Thanks.

I don't know anyone that says There Is A Light That Never Goes Out is the second coming of The Christs, though it's a damn fine little song.

Yeah, this.

i am fond of exaggeration, but i do know a few people who claim it (and particularly its lyrics) to be, or at least herald it as The Smiths' finest. and it's topped a few of those arbitrary lists.

finished now. still a number of songs i was pretty indifferent too. Glacially was just about my favourite from the entire list, great song. really wishing there was a worthwhile version of Closing Time available, i can't wait to hear the whole record. New York City Serenade was pretty good, though it sounded pretty poor. and who's singing on After Hours? that's not Nico is it?

i am fond of exaggeration, but i do know a few people who claim it (and particularly its lyrics) to be, or at least herald it as The Smiths' finest. and it's topped a few of those arbitrary lists.

finished now. still a number of songs i was pretty indifferent too. Glacially was just about my favourite from the entire list, great song. really wishing there was a worthwhile version of Closing Time available, i can't wait to hear the whole record. New York City Serenade was pretty good, though it sounded pretty poor. and who's singing on After Hours? that's not Nico is it?

I've noticed this. Eh, if you don't like, don't like it. I'm quite fond of it, obnoxious use of it in 500 Days of Summer aside.

Closing Time, the Tom Waits album? The version that I have sounds pretty good.

And that's Maureen Tucker, the drummer, singing "After Hours."

Back
Top Bottom