Desert Island VII Master List, Part Four - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #91
The Male

Local Time: 05:29 AM
...This format sucks.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:29 AM
I don't necessarily think it's the format, and in fact, I still think this is better than voting, for multiple reasons.

Good to hear that Impy's pull out won't shake things up too much though.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

This format is no worse than the format we had before where half the rounds would be decided by a total of eight votes.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #94
The Male

Three lists aren't even valid anymore. Come the fuck on.

Now.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
...This format sucks.
How so?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Three lists aren't even valid anymore. Come the fuck on.
Not sure what the problem is.

Everyone submits rankings for all playlists except their own. If someone isn't willing or can't submit rankings, I can't include them because they'd have one extra ranking over everyone else.

Do you have a better idea?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #97
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Do you have a better idea?
Well, uh, voting. I've been supporting that from the start, as I feel that a format that gives list‐listening pertinence is superior. Kind of sucks that a few of the lists I did actually listen to are now completely irrelevant. Now, I realize that's more on me than the format itself, but if the rankings had been closed off on the day given, people would have wasted about 12 hours of their time on lists created by people who can't take 10 minutes to throw together a ranking of some sort.

Now.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

Honestly, there's no one way this is going to work because most people make a list and then that's it, they're done. They don't come back and comment on anyone else's, they probably don't even listen to anyone else's and that's it. So, that's why there were only 8 or 9 votes per thread in Desert Island voting competitions, though I believe that number is more accurate to the summer edition of this little game here (but I've said enough about that in the past). Now, I can't even vote for these three lists that are gone, I listened to them, I enjoyed them, but now they're gone and that's it. Yeah, it was good times music listening, but I feel like I kind of wasted my time on them when there were other lists I didn't get a chance to hear and just had to go off of my gut instinct towards what I know and love on them/the way they were sequenced.

Anyways, simple fact is no way of doing this is going to present 100% results because we have yet to have 100% participation.

I still despise this particular format with every fiber of my being, however.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
...This format sucks.
The Format, however...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Meh, I don't see what the big deal is. If when we were voting, we were averaging 17 or more votes per round from people who'd actually listened to all the lists, then I'd say we should've been doing that. That format didn't seem to work, though, so now we have this. For what it's worth, I felt closer to the lists this time more than any other time.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, uh, voting. I've been supporting that from the start, as I feel that a format that gives list‐listening pertinence is superior. Kind of sucks that a few of the lists I did actually listen to are now completely irrelevant. Now, I realize that's more on me than the format itself, but if the rankings had been closed off on the day given, people would have wasted about 12 hours of their time on lists created by people who can't take 10 minutes to throw together a ranking of some sort.
But is voting via polls more pertinent for playlist listening? I don't think so; in fact, I think it's worse. At least here we are trying to set parameters for people and set up a timeline of some sort. Is it going to be 100%? Not a chance in hell, but I think it's better than the other option.

That's just my opinion though. It was my assumption that most people preferred this format. If that's not the case, we can always go back to polls next time.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on disliking this format. For me, it gives me no feeling of impetus to listen to the lists because the deadline always seems so far away. With the polls, I had such a small amount of time, and it got the job done for me. Plus, with the polls, I was more likely to give the lists multiple listens, not something I'm saying everyone needs to do, but it allowed for more good times as well as increased interest in the lists.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #103
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
But is voting via polls more pertinent for playlist listening? I don't think so; in fact, I think it's worse. At least here we are trying to set parameters for people and set up a timeline of some sort. Is it going to be 100%? Not a chance in hell, but I think it's better than the other option.
How is being given a loose timeframe more specific than a date for the day the poll is taking place? If you know when two lists are being voted on, you know what order in which to listen to the lists. The pertinence is inherent in the fact that the window to listen is so small.

We had this discussion ages ago regarding the gap between the announcement of the tournament and the first polls; time gives people a license to procrastinate. I know this because I'm as much at fault as anyone.

Sorry to come across as hostile, I truly don't mean to. I just feel this format is 9/10ths terrible. If others feel that its flaws are outweighed by its benefits, it's certainly not enough to make me drop out of future DIs, and I don't want to make this one any less pleasant; quite the opposite, in fact.

Now.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

There is no answer, if you ask me. There aren't 20 people on this board willing to listen to 160 minute playlists nineteen times, straight up. There are just enough people who will make them, but not enough to listen to them.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
How is being given a loose timeframe more specific than a date for the day the poll is taking place? If you know when two lists are being voted on, you know what order in which to listen to the lists. The pertinence is inherent in the fact that the window to listen is so small.

We had this discussion ages ago regarding the gap between the announcement of the tournament and the first polls; time gives people a license to procrastinate. I know this because I'm as much at fault as anyone.

Sorry to come across as hostile, I truly don't mean to. I just feel this format is 9/10ths terrible. If others feel that its flaws are outweighed by its benefits, it's certainly not enough to make me drop out of future DIs, and I don't want to make this one any less pleasant; quite the opposite, in fact.
That's why we did four threads, so everyone could get a smaller amount of playlists in a certain timeframe, and it gave people an order to go through them. The window to listen to them was smaller than the overall tournament timeline.

Let's see how tonight's thread goes.

Tags
desert island