Desert Island VII Master List, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished Segment 1. Pretty much liked it the whole way, as I figured I would, knowing all the songs. Seemed to all go together fairly well. The end was the only thing that prevented it from being perfect. Even though it's Lennon, I despise Woman as much as I do McCartney's My Love.

Segment 2 felt a bit more disjointed to me, with the major exception of the trio of The National -> S&G -> Fleetwood Mac. Damn, that was fantastic.

Once again, enjoyed most of the songs here. I'm not as big of a fan of BSS' self-titled work as the others, and I didn't care for the Magnetic Fields song, but other than that, we're rolling along just fine.

Finished up GAF's today. After the first few songs, it turned out to be quite the mellow Day Three. Nice call on Fountains Of Wayne - there's so much more to that album than just Stacy's Mom, and Hackensack is one of the best cuts on there. Also loved the G'nR/Pearl Jam pairing. Was never real big on Elliott Smith's material, nor Third Eye Blind (although I have a soft spot for Never Let You Go). Zeppelin and Dylan certainly are worthy inclusions, and Tender is an all-time classic and a nice way to wrap things up.

Really enjoyed it GAF. I had high expectations since it took you so long to get this in...good thing you succeeded!

I don't like Third Eye Blind either, but I fucking love the lyrics in that particular song. Craziness.

Thanks for the kind words, phanan. I appreciate it. And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Finished up the LMP/NSW extravaganza. Segment 3 was probably my least favorite in terms of actual songs, although in terms of flow it worked very well. Best parts were A Tribe Called Quest to kick things off, and the Living Colour -> Catherine Wheel -> The Ocean Blue combo. I can't remember the last time I heard a Living Colour song.

Segment 4 was a near excellent showcase of new and old songs alike. Nice R.E.M. selecton - very underrated. And listening to Ace and The Commodores brought me back to the days of driving around with my mother in her old silver Honda Civic. Ah yeah, AM radio...

One of the all-time Springsteen tracks certainly doesn't hurt either.

So how was the LMP/NSW experience? Pretty good I say. It's a different beast when two people are jointly in on a playlist; I imagine it's a bit more difficult getting a song order compiled to the satisfaction of both, but you guys managed to put together a solid structure of tunes.

I've noticed this. Eh, if you don't like, don't like it. I'm quite fond of it, obnoxious use of it in 500 Days of Summer aside.

Closing Time, the Tom Waits album? The version that I have sounds pretty good.

And that's Maureen Tucker, the drummer, singing "After Hours."

happy to admit it's a good song, just from what i've heard of The Smiths they've done better.

oh, not sound quality, i meant packaging. the only physical copy i've been able to find in store is $25, in a standard plastic case, with just piece of paper as an infill.

that might be true, but i'm factoring in that a) i won't be going out and getting my drink on with mates a few nights a week and b) you have to be 21 in most places? so i figure i can afford to spend more on music!

They're pretty bad, but you can usually find new CDs for about $10-20 if you know where to go. New games, on the other hand, cost $109. Something like $129 in NZ. It's pretty damn ridiculous.

Good lord. Is it any better online?

that might be true, but i'm factoring in that a) i won't be going out and getting my drink on with mates a few nights a week and b) you have to be 21 in most places? so i figure i can afford to spend more on music!
try all places. :ugh: canada's drinking age is 18 or 19 depending on which province you're in.

try all places. :ugh: canada's drinking age is 18 or 19 depending on which province you're in.
well that's ok. i turn 20 towards the end of the trip anyway, and i think we'll be in Canada for a week and a half or so.
They're pretty bad, but you can usually find new CDs for about $10-20 if you know where to go. New games, on the other hand, cost $109. Something like $129 in NZ. It's pretty damn ridiculous.

hence (one of) the reason(s) i don't play video games outside of Nintendo 64.

now Andre, i have finished your list. i rather enjoyed it, devo dire.

it all seemed to run together perfectly, it could have been a NZ Music compilation. the only songs i knew were by Crowded House (probably my favourite of theirs) and Evermore (great choice, by the way. that album was really good, i have it. just a shame they went radio-friendly with the follow up, and then all but ruined their career with last year's concept effort).

i really quite liked the songs by Dimmer, Tim Finn, Straitjacket Fits, Bike and a number of others. overall not many songs that i could say were shit. apart from some ludicrous band names, great job!

Being in the middle of Love Cry, I figured it was a good time to start commenting on Mr. V's entry.

Rocked with Stripes as the opener, but the next few songs weren't really anything I've previously liked. Things picked up for me when The Strokes came on, and from there, it's been a real treat, for the most part. And although I'm not into The Flaming Lips, I have to say the track sounded great with Bluish. And this Massive Attack/Four Tet combo was fantastic.

EDIT - on paper, you'd think going from Four Tet to The Beatles would suck, but because of the way Love Cry ends, it fits perfectly into Strawberry Fields Forever. Very nice.

Currently listening to the remix of COBL as I wrap this up.

The first part of this second half was decent, but had many tracks that I didn't like, with the exception of The Stone Roses. However, starting with Frightened Rabbit, it was a very strong run to the end which helped recover things a bit - that last stretch was superb.

Kind of difficult to follow-up on that last playlist of yours, which I thought was extraordinary (and since it won, I wasn't the only one who felt that way). Still a very good list, though - I'm glad you got those links in. Nice effort.

So, a gentle reminder that the Results Thread starts a week from tonight, around 10pm EST. I'll probably throw in some interesting stats for all DIs while going through the rankings. Hope everyone is around for it.

Remember to get your rankings in by Monday (Tuesday at the latest) so that I have time to compile all the scores. I've received my first one the other day, so the process of figuring out our winner has begun.

Starting off with GAF here. Bad Romance is a killer tune. B.O.B. not quite as much, but still pretty good. I liked the tracks by The Knife and La Roux a lot. I think I need to check out La Roux after really digging the same song by them from Joey's list, too. And Radiohead is stellar, despite being one my my lesser favourites from that album. Didn't really care for TV On The Radio. I'm a weirdo with them, I think. Everyone seems to like them but me. I thought the Super Furry Animals track was pretty good, but it didn't seem like something I would actively persue. I didn't really care for the Two Gallants song, either. The voice kinda bugged me. And then there is My Morning Jacket. I've heard I'm not supposed to like the album this song comes from, but the song sounds good to me! I like it!

And now through "Day 2". The First Time is a classic song. One of the (few) 90s U2 songs I hold in high esteem. Everyone by now should know I don't like R.E.M. Usually I like neither the music nor the vocals. In At My Most Beautiful, I liked the music. Too bad I still didn't like the vocals. Then there was the Lily Allen song, which was alright. David Bowie sounded like John Lennon in the song you chose from him. At least to me. The Boomtown Rats song was alright, but nothing I could see myself eager to revisit. I love Monkey Man by the Stones, though, and Alright is a brilliant single by Supergrass (R.I.P.). The song by The Mountain Goats solidifies that I don't need to check them out, but hey, I like Lost! a lot. The 2Pac song was pretty good. Was that an Elton John sample? Oh, and the John Lennon song is classic. And the song by the Stripes is a pretty good one, too.

Maybe it just had a problem when I downloaded it, but your copy of D'yer Mak'er skipped so I played the one I had already in its place.

Okay, finishing up. I absolutely loved how this part began. D'yer Mak'er, Under Control, Gold Lion, and This Mess We're In are all fantastic. Probably the strongest 4 in a row in the whole list, if you ask me. The Fountains of Wayne song is a far cry from Stacy's Mom. Thank God. Then there is the wonderfulness of The Last Shadow Puppets and Elliot Smith. I need to listen to more Elliot Smith. I didn't care for the G'n'R song much, though. But Pearl Jam is always good. I hadn't heard of The Good Life before (the band name reminds me of when Weezer was good, though), and the song was pretty good. And hey, I remember that Third Eye Blind song. I saw you said you liked the lyrics and that's what I liked about the song when it came out, as well. But then I didn't care for the final two songs. Never been a big Dylan fan. I mean, he's a great songwriter. But I don't like him much as a singer. And then I've never really cared for Blur much.... Just don't care about Damon Albarn (probably why I generally don't care for Gorillaz either) as a singer. I like Song 2, but that's mostly it.

finished The Ruckman's list. kind of depressing that i spent 2 hours and 40 minutes driving to and from uni today for a two hour class. but anyway.

can't say i was a big fan of it nammy, i mean i rather enjoy electronic music, but not the kind that was displayed here. that first song i recognised immediately from Super Smash Bros., which made me a bit sad. umm... U2 song is great, Chemical Bros song was good if long. not what i was expecting from Bjork... i thought she didn't sing in English and just did a lot of weird vocal acrobatics such as yodelling.

major, MAJOR props for using Kid A, the first time i heard that song i thought it was terrible, now it's in my Radiohead top ten.

the second part... i thought Festival was great (prologue too), but that was about it. i know you're a big Warszawa fan, but i've never liked it as much (same goes for Art Decade and Weeping Wall. Speed of Life, New Career and Subterraneans are far, far better than those three in my opinion). there's been about four Muse songs that i have ever liked, and this three-part thing was certainly not a part of that. i'd never heard Atom Heart Mother and was at one stage weighing up purchasing the album, but will now steer well clear. it was like their version of Rev9, with an extra sixteen minutes.

Alright, Mr. V. I'm glad you got your links up. Classic White Stripes tune to kick things off, followed by a solid Arctic Monkeys track. And then there were two bands I'd never heard. And damn, I'll have to check them both out. I really dug that. Oh, and then I didn't really care for the Pulp track. But that was quickly made up for by The Strokes and Franz Ferdinand. And following that was a Justin Timberlake track that wasn't bad, but I felt it really overstayed its welcome. And right now I'm on the xx. The song by them that I like the most is Intro. I feel that a lot of everything else they did was very pedestrian.

After The xx was a very, very good section. The Last Shadow Puppets->Passengers was immaculate. But then you lost me through Massive Attack and For Tet. Didn't care for either at all. But then, Strawberry Fields Forever made up for that. And now I'm on the Beta Band song. I don't remember ever hearing this band, but I like this song. I'll have to check them out.

Back
Top Bottom