Desert Island VI Album Game: FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like your idea, Phanan, and think that written critiques in some form, whether just a running diary or some thoughts should be required for every list, too.

Phanan, that sounds like a nice idea and a lot less complicated than the present system. Only thing, it's gonna be a bitch to rank everything! If you thought comparing 2 lists was hard.... :crack:

I missed DI-6 due to relocation and things going on in my personal life. But I have a 160 min list ready now. So, unless I miss the boat in the sign-up rush I'm in for 7.

Listening to and ranking every single list will NOT be easy, but I concede that it makes sense. It's probably the most objective system that could be concocted. I have a list ready for DI7 (as well as DI8, DI9, and DI10), so count me in. :wink:

I'm going to keep playing no matter what, but I don't know how keen I am on this. Oh well, it doesn't matter, I still get to hear the music, I'll just kind of miss the "game" aspect.

Can we have a "no theme in particular/anything goes" mini? I currently have a 60 min playlist in the works mostly comprised of slow and mid-tempo atmospheric songs. With the absence of a theme, we would also get more diverse playlists in the mini format. But if everyone wants a specific theme then it's okay. Just thought I'd put my suggestion out there.

Can we have a "no theme in particular/anything goes" mini? I currently have a 60 min playlist in the works mostly comprised of slow and mid-tempo atmospheric songs. With the absence of a theme, we would also get more diverse playlists in the mini format. But if everyone wants a specific theme then it's okay. Just thought I'd put my suggestion out there.

dude. space moon.

I wanted a hip-hop mini, but if you guys want to do a rocking the fuck out mini, that's cool too.

After the reaction I saw with people that had hip-hop on the regular DI lists, I can't see people agreeing to this, unfortunately, because I'd be all for it. Seriously, this board needs to get the fuck over whatever their preconceived notions are about what hip-hop is and be more open-minded towards it. But, I digress, it's obviously hitting a raw nerve with me. Hopefully we can get a hip-hop mini going sometime though; it'd be a lot of fun.

Is it still open? :ohmy:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/enter-the-space-moon-a-moon-in-space-199357.html

yea, I guess this time around we're not having an actual competition, just sharing of awesome playlists :)

I'd be down for a hip-hop mini. Haven't been listening to a lot of hip hop lately though, so I don't know how good my list would be. I just suggested a Rock The Fuck Out mini cuz that's more what I've been into lately :wink: Maybe we could do a poll and see what most people want? I'm open to other suggestions of course

Yeah, a poll's probably the best idea to make it as fair as possible.

I just re-read my post there and didn't really mean to be so bitchy, especially since AB, you were one of the few people who enjoyed the hip-hop on my list (as far as I know, based on who made comments about it). But, at the same time, it's annoying for people to write off an entire genre simply because of some music that's not necessarily representative of the whole. I mean, I can understand if somebody just doesn't like the sound or whatever (even though I still think people should be more willing to give it a chance, since, again, the genre's terribly varied, like any other), but I have a feeling that one of the main reasons for the resistance to hip-hop here is more due to the views about content than the sound itself, though maybe I'm wrong here.

Quite honestly, you're really overreacting here.

I went back and looked at the polls you were in, plus the running diary thread. I can only assume you are referring to the posts hardy and myself made in the very first poll you were part of. hardy said your list was not his thing, so perhaps he doesn't like hip-hop as much, which is fine. My post merely said that there were some things I didn't care for on your list, but it never was specific to hip-hop, and really, that wasn't the main reason you didn't get my vote, because I like Outkast, DJ Shadow, and The Grey Album. I don't particularly care for Ryan Adams, for example, and I know he was on your list. There were a few more like that, and there were a couple of hip-hop songs I didn't like, but for me, that genre broke even on your playlist.

Just wanted to set the record straight on that, with my personal opinion that it wasn't solely due to your hip-hop selections that some people didn't vote for you.

A mini DI generally consists of either 8 or 16 people, depending on amount of interest. We only had 8 people for Retro and Prog (and technically, we didn't even hit 8 for that one). Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five people who would do hip-hop right away:

LMP
LM
AB
DaveC
oneblood

I don't think it's a stretch that three more people would do it, and I would probably be one of them (although mine would be hilariously retro).

So, we'll see what happens.

I just think it'd be a great idea to try and get people to basically summarize what they think is the year's best music, in a playlist that flows well 'n shit.

I could make a pretty bitchin' 2009 playlist, though I feel like if we're gonna do that we should wait 'til the end of the year.

I don't care for the 2009 idea. There's going to be far too much overlap. Also, assuming we do attempt it, it would be wise to wait another 4 months...right around the time we'll be collectively itching for DI7.

hey when is this happening again? also i have an idea. what if all did Best of the 2000's playlists ... to celebrate the end of the decade. It would be a cool way to see what everyone enjoyed the most this decade.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely down with that. I can have something whipped up in the next few weeks.

if we did do that would you want a mini-DI or a full one?

also, i think we should take out the rule where you can't use songs from previous DI's if we do a best of decade list.

Probably mini. But if we went the mini DI route, it wouldn't make sense to restrict song choices, since the two aren't supposed to overlap. I guess it would depend on how much interest it attracts.

We've always done minis separate from regular DI. There aren't any restrictions with songs when it comes that.

A best of decade is intriguing, although I wonder how much different some lists will be. I think quite a few people will have a lot of similar artists.

I know I'd have some different ones. Doubt many people here listen to Underoath, and if not for my last DI I don't think anyone would have even heard of This Town Needs Guns, who have possibly my second favourite song of the decade.

I think encompassing an entire decade would be fairly diverse ... probably about as diverse as any DI, really

I would love to do a best of the '00s. There might be a lot of overlap between artists, but I bet not as much in the song choices. Plus, in most of the DIs, there's already quite a bit of artist overlap. It's bound to happen when we (mostly) have U2 in common taste-wise.

I would love to do a best of the '00s. There might be a lot of overlap between artists, but I bet not as much in the song choices. Plus, in most of the DIs, there's already quite a bit of artist overlap. It's bound to happen when we (mostly) have U2 in common taste-wise.

that's a good point. I know a lot of my song choices aren't singles, for example. I'm sure that will be true for a lot of people, so we'd probably get a lot of different selections

making a best of decade DI sounds so much better than doing homework right now :lol:

Back
Top Bottom