Desert Island V Album Game: Semifinal, Match 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for the playlist you like the most.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Please vote for the playlist you LIKE THE MOST.

Welcome to the first Semifinal match for Interference Desert Island V! The premise of this game is that all of the Interferencers have been stranded on a desert island and we can only take up to 160 minutes of music with us (either as a continuous iPod playlist or two 80 minute CDs or any other format of our choosing). The object is to see which forum member can fit the most musical goodness into these 160 minutes.

The last two quarterfinals came down to the wire. In the end, phanan edged GirlsAloudFan, 7-6, while hardyharhar narrowly defeated Axver by the same score. phanan and hardyharhar advance to the semifinals.

We're down to the final four. The first semifinal is a battle of unbeatens, as phillyfan26 goes up against LemonMelon. Below are their playlists.

If you don't know the songs, or wish to hear how each playlist flows, feel free to check out the Desert Island website. :)

Forum name: phillyfan26

Frank, They're Going to Experience My Concept

Concept:
A man wakes from a coma, and, through a series of events, races in the street.

Personnel:
Lead Vocals - The Amendment
Backing Vocals - Kate Bush
Lead Guitar - Info
Rhythm Guitar - Bono
Bass Guitar - YLB
Drums - NSFW
Lyrics - Soulja Boy
Producer - Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Engineers - Lance and Laz
Rhetoric - Chrissy Martin (with intedomine)
Special Thanks to Al Pacino, Jerry Seinfeld, and $ting

1. Various Artists – "The Star Spangled Banner" – God Bless America (United We Stand!) Volume 1 (1:27)
2. Explosions in the Sky – "First Breath After Coma" – The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place (9:34)
3. Arcade Fire – "Une Année Sans Lumiere" – Funeral (3:41)
4. Radiohead – "Electioneering" – OK Computer (3:51)
5. David Bowie – "Teenage Wildlife" – Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (6:54)
6. John Frusciante – "Time Goes Back" – Shadows Collide With People (3:23)
7. Coldplay – "Don't Panic" – Parachutes (2:17)
8. Franz Ferdinand – "Eleanor Put Your Boots On" – You Could Have It So Much Better (2:50)
9. Led Zeppelin – "Over the Hills and Far Away" – Mothership (Remastered) (4:48)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers – "Wet Sand" – Stadium Arcadium (5:10)
11. The Edge – "One Foot in Heaven" – Captive (5:10)
12. Gorillaz – "El Mañana" – Demon Days (3:50)
13. Passengers – "Always Forever Now" – Original Soundtracks 1 (6:26)
14. Ours – "Willing" – Mercy (Dancing for the Death of an Imaginary Enemy) (4:41)
15. U2 – "Rejoice" – October (3:38)
16. …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead – "So Divided" – Friday Night Lights (Original Television Soundtrack) (6:31)
17. Pink Floyd – "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" – Animals (11:28)
18. Queen – "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To…)" – A Night at the Opera (3:42)
19. Pearl Jam – "Even Flow" – Ten (4:54)
20. The Who – "Who Are You" – The Ultimate Collection (Disc 2) (6:21)
21. The Bravery – "An Honest Mistake" – The Bravery (3:44)
22. Moving Pictures – "Never" – Footloose (15th Anniversary Collectors Edition) (3:47)
23. Genesis – "That's All" – Genesis (4:25)
24. The Police – "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" – Every Breath You Take: The Singles (4:20)
25. Steely Dan – "Josie" – Aja (4:32)
26. Chicago – "Feelin' Stronger Everyday" – Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (4:17)
27. R.E.M. – "Life and How to Live It" – Fables of the Reconstruction (4:08)
28. The Beatles – "Here Comes the Sun" – 1967-1970 (Disc 2) (3:07)
29. Bob Dylan – "Tangled Up in Blue" – Blood on the Tracks (5:44)
30. Bruce Springsteen – "Racing in the Street" – Darkness on the Edge of Town (6:55)

Total Runtime: 2:25:22

Forum name: LemonMelon

The purpose of splitting these two sets up is to emphasize just how drastically different they are from one another, and that they provide two entirely different experiences. It is preferable to listen to them in a row (if you do, I suggest you listen to Super Massive Black Cherub Metal, and then ease your way in to #9 Dream) but listening to them separately doesn't do much to hurt the overall experience. Ultimately, I hope everyone finds something to love here, and that those who find one set less enjoyable than the other could at least discover some new music out of it.

Supermassive Black Cherub Metal

Not much to say about this playlist. It's just a set of good ol' fashioned rock n' roll that's consistently louder than anything I've entered previously; even the breaks in the loudness tend to be lo-fi and themselves filled with noise. But this is good, as there aren't any ballads awkwardly thrown in for the sake of variety. Sit back and crank this one up as loud as you can.

Track listing:

1. Smashing Pumpkins - "Cherub Rock" - Siamese Dream (4:57)
2. Pixies - "Broken Face" - Surfer Rosa (1:30)
3. Ween - "Dr. Rock" - The Pod (3:10)
4. Suede - "The Drowners" - Suede (4:09)
5. Sonic Youth - "Kool Thing" - Goo (4:05)
6. Beastie Boys - "Sabotage" - Ill Communication (2:58)
7. Elastica - "Connection" - Elastica (2:19)
8. Muse - "Supermassive Black Hole" - Black Holes And Revelations (3:29)
9. Porcupine Tree - "Blackest Eyes" - In Absentia (4:23)
10. Queens Of The Stone Age - "Suture Up Your Future" - Era Vulgaris (4:37)
11. Blur - "You're So Great" - Blur (3:34)
12. Tom Waits - "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" - Bone Machine (2:30)
13. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Holland, 1945" - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (3:12)
14. Cake - "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" - Comfort Eagle (3:23)
15. Pearl Jam - "Last Exit" - Vitalogy (2:53)
16. T. Rex - "Mambo Sun" - Electric Warrior (3:39)
17. Queen - "Sweet Lady" - A Night At The Opera (4:02)
18. Led Zeppelin - "Ramble On" - II (4:23)
19. The Small Faces - "Afterglow (Of Your Love)" - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (3:30)
20. The La's - "Feelin'" - The La's (1:45)
21. Television - "Marquee Moon" - Marquee Moon (10:38)

Total runtime: 79:16

#9 Dream

This set is a concept album but, in contrast to Cherub Metal, which had a musical concept (rocking out as hard as possible), #9 Dream contains many running lyrical threads, along with a generally airy musical feel. Originally, this playlist was meant to be a soundtrack for a movie I wanted to make about a man who becomes extremely ill and decides to sleep his way through it rather than take himself to a hospital. The movie was going to be extremely surreal and would explore what a waking (2 hour long) dream would look like. Because of this, the playlist for it is equally surreal and feverish. It is very dark, filled with lyrics concerning illness, death, and insanity, but ultimately asks many thought-provoking questions about love and life. And, in spite of the darkness, there are many moments of childlike wonderment to be heard here. The twist ending is that, in accordance with a line in the final song here, Moby's "Porcelain" ("In my dreams I'm dying all the time"), the protagonist may or may not have survived the night. Regardless of whether or not they did, we can assume that they learned much about themselves during this hour or two. While listening, try to focus on the musical flow of the playlist in addition to the plotline, which actually strengthens its. As in any dream, there are moments where things go off the rails ("300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues", "Defecting Grey") and this playlist takes advantage of the vignette quality that so many dreams take on. So, in conclusion, what can you expect from this playlist? Airy soundscapes, quiet darkness, lovely noise, and much contemplation. Dig it.

Track listing:

1. Modest Mouse - "3rd Planet" - The Moon And Antarctica (3:58)
2. The Verve - "Already There" - A Storm In Heaven (5:38)
3. The Cure - "Lullaby" - Disintegration (4:08)
4. The White Stripes - "300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues" - Icky Thump (5:29)
5. My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep" - Loveless (4:11)
6. Cocteau Twins - "Heaven Or Las Vegas" - Heaven Or Las Vegas (4:56)
7. John Lennon - "#9 Dream" - Walls And Bridges (4:45)
8. The Flaming Lips - "In The Morning Of The Magicians" - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (6:17)
9. The Pretty Things - "Defecting Grey" - S.F. Sorrow (Bonus Tracks) (4:28)
10. King Crimson - "I Talk To The Wind" - In The Court Of The Crimson King (6:03)
11. Blind Melon - "No Rain" - Blind Melon (3:35)
12. The Moody Blues - "Floating" - To Our Children's Children's Children (3:00)
13. Radiohead - "In Limbo" - Kid A (3:30)
14. Beck - "Runners Dial Zero" - Mutations (Import) (4:02)
15. Genesis - "The Carpet Crawlers" - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (5:02)
16. Massive Attack - "Exchange" - Mezzanine (4:11)
17. Moby - "Porcelain" - Play (3:59)

Total runtime: 77:21

UP NEXT: phanan vs. hardyharhar

Competition master list.

Have fun!

Pfan really upped his game for DI5 and crushed his last list, and certainly deserves to make the finals. Losing to a fellow Musketeer would be a great way to go, if that's how it went down. Best of luck, and let's see what happens. This is going to be very, very close.

Ali's vote will once again be manually added.

Coincidentally, these were her two favorite playlists, so this probably would have been a tough choice for her. But in her rankings, she put LM ahead of pfan, so LM gets her vote.

BTW, Phanan, that reminds me, are we having a critics choice this time or not? I'd be happy to run it myself, if necessary.

I believe LMP was going to work on that. He had some different category ideas as well. You may want to get with him and discuss.

We can do a wrapup thread that includes the winners.

I believe LMP was going to work on that. He had some different category ideas as well. You may want to get with him and discuss.

We can do a wrapup thread that includes the winners.

Yes, I'll still do it if you like.

I see both of my Maverick friends have rolled into the semis... dios mio, man. Gotta vote for the El-Mel on this one.

This is a tough one. Two of the best for sure, but philly lost me a bit at the end...Steely Dan, really? I gotta go with ElMel

I knew I was going to lose. It's sort of a shame that so many good lists (yours, mine, YLB's, GAF's, etc.) all ended up on the same side of the bracket.

The voter's choice award jaunt will be interesting.

Obviously, two very well done playlists here. pfan continues to get better and better at this. I've repeatedly posted that this is the best one he's done yet. Worthy of a top 3 placing.

But from the beginning, I've stated that either LM or LMP would win this thing, and with LMP out, I personally don't see any challengers left, myself included. Others may feel differently, so I could be wrong in the final outcome, but I think LM is more than deserving of it.

Chill out. Axver, Ashley, Khan, Zoots, Hardy, Bonnie, and Phanan still need to vote, and I see at least 4 votes in there for you.
I meant "I figure I was probably gonna lose since LM's list is so damn good." I didn't sleep much last night, I'm a tad incoherent.
You mean, basically all you musketeer/maverick folk! :madwife: ;)

1. Cut a hole in the box.

2. GAF shall never be in any "folk" of mine.

3. "Etc." means there were more I couldn't think of off the top of my head.

4. :wink:

5. :uhoh:

Damn, I'm not sure. This is a really tough call. PFan has the better songs on the whole, but the way LM's second disc is put together is absolutely fantastic. Might sit on this for a bit before voting.

Damn, I'm not sure. This is a really tough call. PFan has the better songs on the whole, but the way LM's second disc is put together is absolutely fantastic. Might sit on this for a bit before voting.

I say listen to them both a second time and see if anything has changed. My list is probably fresher in your mind, considering the running diary you did of Pfan's list was, what, in July? :lol: It's more even that way.

This was tough but I had to go with El Mel. He simply had more songs that I enjoy, although both lists had their share of tracks I don't care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom