Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Welcome to the fifth installment of the Desert Island Album Game! We're ready for another round after a detour to Retro Island. I will once again be running this edition of the tournament, with support from Axver and additional moderator assistance from KhanadaRhodes as needed.

The premise of the game is to create a "desert island" playlist, i.e. the best musical experience you can offer. Keep in mind that a great playlist depends on more than just great songs; cohesion is essential.

THE RULES
1. Your collection may not exceed 2 hours, 40 minutes, 0 seconds in length. You may employ any medium you desire - two CDs of no more than 80 minutes each, unbroken iPod playlists, or any other combination of songs. ANY ENTRY 160:01 (2 hours, 40 minutes, 1 second) OR LONGER WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED AND REQUIRED TO BE EDITED IMMEDIATELY.
2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. For example, if you wanted to have both parts of the song "Perfect Sense" by Roger Waters, this would be acceptable even though they are split over two tracks, as it is basically one song. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with the organisers first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.
3. Every selection must appear on an OFFICIAL RELEASE by that artist. It may be any form of release: album, single, official live release, rarities box set, iTunes only release, or even a free track from the artist's official site or MySpace page. Unreleased tracks (e.g. U2's Mercy) and live bootlegs are not allowed ("official bootlegs" by bands such as Pearl Jam are permitted).
4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way. However, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end, e.g. Transatlantic's Stranger In Your Soul or Nirvana's Something In The Way. Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits.
5. If you have competed in THREE or less prior editions of the game, you MUST NOT REPEAT ANY SONGS from your previous entries. If you have competed in FOUR or more prior editions, you must not repeat any songs from your entries to Desert Island III & IV. Although discouraged, repeats from Desert Island I and II are permitted. Songs used in the Prog, Symphonic, and Retro mini-tournaments may be repeated at will.

6. Any entry that violates one of these rules or pushes one of these rules is subject to being banned from the competition.

READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT

For this competition, please do NOT post your entries in this thread. Please e-mail them to both myself at go-figure@comcast.net and Axver at amakaxver@gmail.com. If you are a premium member, PMs are also accepted.

Here's what we require from you:
1. Your playlist. See below for formatting.
2. Links to uploads of your playlist so that others may hear the music they do not know. This is mandatory, so if you cannot do uploads, do not bother entering. Also, please upload your playlist in either ZIP or RAR folders rather than each song individually.
3. OPTIONAL: A paragraph with any additional details on your playlist, e.g. why you made the choices you made, any important facts you wish to note, why you think people should vote for your playlist, etc.
4. OPTIONAL: A cover for your playlist, and any other additional materials you believe are essential to the full package. Please provide a stable link to the cover image on a picture hosting website.

FORMATTING - READ CAREFULLY
We require submissions to use the following format EXACTLY:

Forum name: [Your Interference name here]

Playlist:

PLAYLIST TITLE (if you give it one)

Track #. Band Name - "Song Title" - Album Name (Time in Minutes:Seconds)
1. Please - "Follow This Format" - Thank You (20:15)
2. It Helps A Lot - "If You Follow This" - To The Letter (10:45)
3. Life Is Easier - "When People Do" - What Is Asked In The Rules (15:00)
4. Rules - "Are Not Hard" - To Follow (15:30)
5. Grammar, Punctuation, And Order - "Should Be Just Like They Are" - In This Example (7:15)
6. Thank You Very Much - "In Advance" - For Adhering To This Style! (43:20)

Total runtime: 112:05

DEADLINE
All submissions MUST be made by 29 August 2008. The master list will be posted just after this deadline and the competition will begin a few weeks later. You may submit items separately, e.g. you do not have to provide upload links the second you submit your playlist, but you must have all submissions made by that deadline.

CONTESTANTS
This tournament will have twenty contestants admitted on a first come, first served basis. Since we always have people sign up and then drop off, two alternates will also be listed. Contestants will be divided into four groups of five and the top two from each group will proceed to the quarter-finals. Names will be picked out of a hat at random to determine our four groups.

To register your intention to compete, add your name to the following list:

1. phanan
2. Axver
3. KhanadaRhodes
4. phillyfan26
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. AtomicBono

There might have been some others who have previously indicated their interest to me that I might have forgotten, so please post ASAP to be added.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Good luck!

:)

Thanks for signing me up already.

Can't wait for this bad boy to start.

1. phanan
2. Axver
3. KhanadaRhodes
4. phillyfan26
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. AtomicBono
9. bono_212
10. DreamOutLoud13
11. RegularBonoFan
12. bono_man2002

I went ahead and added Chass even though I don't recall how committed she was. But I can always take her off if need be.

I went ahead and added Chass even though I don't recall how committed she was. But I can always take her off if need be.

She's been working on the list a lot lately, but I'm not 100% sure myself, but I know she's out for the night so...

Just one request. No offence to Phanan or LMP but I'd like to be in a different group from you guys. :lol:

Of course I'm half kidding. Either way, even if I lose I had a lot of fun making my list this time! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom