Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God this is getting pretty f'ing ridiculous. All this talk about NEXT competition is making me want to participate in THIS competition, not at all WHY ARE WE DISCUSSING THIS?!

Because some people need to know whether or not they're going to have to neuter their future lists or not. Plus, you don't exactly have to read it or anything, as much as I hate that argument.

How about 2 different tournaments side by side? One for 160 min lists and the other for 80 min ones. Everyone is happy.

That would just up the amount of listening we have to do all at once. The current, genre specific mini games should be stripped of their genre specifics. That way they're all just plain Desert Island. The longer one goes on in the Fall. The shorter one goes on in the Winter. The long one returns in the Spring. The short one returns in the Summer. Repeat.

That would just up the amount of listening we have to do all at once.

What? No. You don't participate in both formats! You only participate in either the 160 min one OR the 80 min one. So you'll either be listening to everyone's 160 min playlists or everyone's 80 min playlists, depending on the competition you have chosen to be in. Simple solution! Everyone is happy.

And that really sucks, since I enjoyed your list and found more music to enjoy.

I don't know why I'm drawn into this argument with Screw, since it will go nowhere, but I'm in one of those "fuck it" moods right now, I guess.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed my music. And I enjoyed yours too. Yours and LM are the two I've enjoyed the most, and you're two of those who would rather not participate if the competition gets... er... neutered.

Because some people need to know whether or not they're going to have to neuter their future lists or not. Plus, you don't exactly have to read it or anything, as much as I hate that argument.

Good to know we still agree on some things. :wink:

What? No. You don't participate in both formats! You only participate in either the 160 min one OR the 80 min one. So you'll either be listening to everyone's 160 min playlists or everyone's 80 min playlists, depending on the competition you have chosen to be in. Simple solution! Everyone is happy.

That cuts to amount of votes in each competition in half. I had a suggestion like that to Phanan, and that was what he said.

What if you're curious about both? Are you saying you're only allowed to vote in one?

That cuts to amount of votes in each competition in half. I had a suggestion like that to Phanan, and that was what he said.

Oh yeah that's true. But it's the best compromise I can think of other than simply keeping no minimum and a 160 min maximum in the current competition!

Oh yeah that's true. But it's the best compromise I can think of other than simply keeping no minimum and a 160 min maximum in the current competition!

What do you think of the genre-stripping idea for mini-competitions?

Your argument would stand better if it weren't for the fact that this is the Rules and Sign-up thread for the CURRENT DI game, and I come here to make sure that the deadline hasn't been moved up or something when I see all this chatting going on. But nope, it's just the same. pointless. no one is going to be happy. argument. again. and again. and again.

I just think we need to sacrifice themes for mini-games. Make them true DI, but just shorter. But I've repeated that multiple times and haven't gotten any biters, so I guess I'll shut up. I guess people like the themes quite a bit.

ETA

...or perhaps it was noticed. :hyper:

What if you're curious about both? Are you saying you're only allowed to vote in one?

No. You're only allowed to participate in one. Meaning submitting your list. Pick the one you'd rather take part in... 160 min OR 80 min. But you can vote in both.. as long as you listened to that particular list!

I just think we need to sacrifice themes for mini-games. Make them true DI, but just shorter. But I've repeated that multiple times and haven't gotten any biters, so I guess I'll shut up. I guess people like the themes quite a bit.

Yes and Yes!

This works too!

Your argument would stand better if it weren't for the fact that this is the Rules and Sign-up thread for the CURRENT DI game, and I come here to make sure that the deadline hasn't been moved up or something when I see all this chatting going on. But nope, it's just the same. pointless. no one is going to be happy. argument. again. and again. and again.

Where else are we going to argue about it?

...Besides the back alley, with broken bottles in hand.

No. You're only allowed to participate in one. Meaning submitting your list. Pick the one you'd rather take part in... 160 min OR 80 min. But you can vote in both.. as long as you listened to that particular list!

I understand that, but, like tourist said, that's twice as many lists to listen to, is it not? Or at the very least, you're only shortening 10 or so lists, not really helping :shrug:

Yes and Yes!

This works too!

Awesome.

Ironically, in my government class, we talked about the formation of the House of Representatives and Senate, which kind of parallels what's going on here. Double awesome.

We're in agreement then? Except for Screw?

Why would the deadline be moved up? And why are you worrying--isn't your list already done and uploaded? :huh:

Why would the deadline be moved up? And why are you worrying--isn't your list already done and uploaded? :huh:

Because I feel like I"m the only one who hasn't turned in their list. Because, no. I haven't turned up my list. And I worry about these things.

:yawn: to that. There's a reason the minigames are so much fun for everyone; because you get a chance to discover new genres in-depth and make detailed mixes of your own, which the usual DI overlooks. After all, discovering music is what these tournaments are about. There's a time and place for both, and one shouldn't be sacrificed so the other can be made more accessible.

I understand that, but, like tourist said, that's twice as many lists to listen to, is it not? Or at the very least, you're only shortening 10 or so lists, not really helping :shrug:

:doh: Then you stick to the 10 lists that are of your preferred length! Hence the splitting of the competitions! You don't HAVE to listen to both 80 min ones and 160 min ones! They are 2 different competitions!

:laugh:

Ok, I'm done with this, simply put, I think the idea of shortening to the contest is really a bad idea, maybe 120 would be ok, but this talk of 60, 80, or even 100 is just ridiculous. Here's an idea, you don't want to listen to the lists, then don't participate!

As for making the mini DIs regular DIs, I really hope that doesn't happen. It would suck, and really ruin the purpose of the mini DI's - giving us all a break from the game

Do none of you understand my 2 competitions running side by side suggestion???

lol.

It sounds like way too much work for whoever is running it to me.

And believe me, there are going to be more than a dozen people who will want to make lists longer than 80 minutes.

As for making the mini DIs regular DIs, I really hope that doesn't happen. It would suck, and really ruin the purpose of the mini DI's - giving us all a break from the game

What is the purpose of the mini DI's? :scratch: To be genre specific? Why do they HAVE to be genre specific? Why not a shorter version of the regular DI?

:yawn: to that. There's a reason the minigames are so much fun for everyone; because you get a chance to discover new genres in-depth and make detailed mixes of your own, which the usual DI overlooks. After all, discovering music is what these tournaments are about. There's a time and place for both, and one shouldn't be sacrificed so the other can be made more accessible.

Or we could do a competition every two months.

For example's sake, let's say the next full DI is in January. Maybe it'd look something like this? And perhaps someone could assist Phanan and host either Mini DI or Genre DI?

January: Full DI

March: Mini DI

May: Genre DI

July: Full DI

September: Mini DI

November: Genre DI

Do none of you understand my 2 competitions running side by side suggestion???

lol.

I do, and I think others do, but I don't think it's not a great idea. Sorry.

I'm all for the minimum solution - that's my number 1 choice if there was to be a compromise. As much as I like the genre games, if that is also changed, then I wouldn't put up too much of a fight about it, you know? It sucks to see compromise when it doesn't benefit you in any way, but if it helps in the long run, then I will support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom