Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely. I had a few tracks left over, so I'm all for it.

And I really hope the min = 80, max = 160 idea gets picked up. Currently, the minimum is probably 100, but it's frowned upon go that low and generally not done. If it's officially made 80, the lists will be more varied, and it'll spice up the tournament.
There is no minimum. I don't want to have to be forced to fill out my list with songs I don't thing should be there. The way I approached my list, if I added more songs to mine I feel like I'd dilute the idea I started with.

You have to have a minimum, and you have to have a maximum. There should be restrictions, but they should be made clear. If it's "not a good idea to have too short of a playlist", who's going to make an 80 minute playlist, just because they're technically allowed to?

Because it wouldn't receive a single vote from anyone. :lol:

Oh c'mon! :wink: I'm serious. If somebody wants to take only 5 songs (for example) with him/her to a desert island because "they sound perfect together and nothing else is good enough to stand alongside them", why would that not be a valid entry? For all you know, those 5 songs might provide a nice album experience like say, Wish You Were Here. That the person may not receive any votes is a different matter altogether.

Oh c'mon! :wink: I'm serious. If somebody wants to take only 5 songs (for example) with him/her to a desert island because "they sound perfect together and nothing else is good enough to stand alongside them", why would that not be a valid entry? For all you know, those 5 songs might provide a nice album experience like say, Wish You Were Here. That the person may not receive any votes is a different matter altogether.

Wait, I forgot to ask, how long would these songs be? If Axver or liamcool were putting that list together, it could easily reach 160 minutes. :wink:

All of your points are perfectly valid, really. But I still think a clearly defined set of parameters would be more likely to be explored than vague ones. That's all I'm saying.

Wait, I forgot to ask, how long would these songs be? If Axver or liamcool were putting that list together, it could easily reach 160 minutes. :wink:

I could make a 5 song mix that is 2 hours. Of course, that would involve Porcupine Tree (34:35), The Cure (27:51), Led Zeppelin (25:25), Pink Floyd (17:35), and Starflyer 59 (14:13).

:lol: Exactly! Start with Tubular Bells, add Stranger In Your Soul by Transatlantic (I think), some Arriving Somewhere, Echoes... and before you know it, you'll be :crack:

You have to have a minimum, and you have to have a maximum. There should be restrictions, but they should be made clear. If it's "not a good idea to have too short of a playlist", who's going to make an 80 minute playlist, just because they're technically allowed to?

It hasn't seemed to hinder Desert Island so far. :shrug:

If we officially set the minimum at 80 minutes, I don't think it would change anything, to be honest.

I find it ironic that we had such strong interest in this edition, yet everyone is recommending changes. :lol:

If it ain't broke...

Because it wouldn't receive a single vote from anyone. :lol:

My playlist is like 70 minutes, but I'm not here to win. I made it, and I want some feedback and I want to hear some other new music and stuff, but I don't see it as much of a competition than a sharing of ideas and tastes.

While I'm here, when do you bosses want the final lists?

My playlist is like 70 minutes, but I'm not here to win. I made it, and I want some feedback and I want to hear some other new music and stuff, but I don't see it as much of a competition than a sharing of ideas and tastes.

While I'm here, when do you bosses want the final lists?

It's seriously 70 minutes?! :lol: No wonder you don't care for the idea of having a minimum length. I think you'll be the new record holder for shortest list by at least 40 minutes.

It's seriously 70 minutes?! :lol: No wonder you don't care for the idea of having a minimum length. I think you'll be the new record holder for shortest list by at least 40 minutes.

It's a good list, though. I listened to that shizz and it was tight.

Yeah. It'll be an easy one to listen to--especially looking at the artists. It'll be right up my alley for sure!

:lol: that's what i was thinking, though there's nothing wrong with a short playlist of course. the shortest i've done for the competition is 102 minutes long. and people thought that was short! :giggle:

While a short playlist is certainly acceptable, it is a bit risky in terms of trying to do well in the tournament, as some people go by how many songs they like on a list when voting, and obviously the longer the list, the better shot at having more songs that someone else likes.

Then again, trying to win the tournament is really an afterthought to the main goal: listening and enjoying everyone's playlists and discovering things you may not have known about previously.

:lol: that's what i was thinking, though there's nothing wrong with a short playlist of course. the shortest i've done for the competition is 102 minutes long. and people thought that was short! :giggle:

You even lost "votes" because of it, if I remember correctly.

"I liked this more than the other one... but it was too short. Vote goes to them, failure."

What a wonderfully horrible nine days I've had. Besides being terribly sick (a little worried about the results of blood tests), my anti-virus program downloaded a virus onto the computer. It is fixed but every file on my computer is gone. All my music, pictures, writing, torrents and playlists. So I will still be able to participate but it is only going to be around 80 minutes long. I have no idea how I'm going to do another playlist anytime soon though. :down:

What a wonderfully horrible nine days I've had. Besides being terribly sick (a little worried about the results of blood tests), my anti-virus program downloaded a virus onto the computer. It is fixed but every file on my computer is gone. All my music, pictures, writing, torrents and playlists. So I will still be able to participate but it is only going to be around 80 minutes long. I have no idea how I'm going to do another playlist anytime soon though. :down:

Sorry to hear about that.

Let me know ASAP if things change and you can't do this, just so any interested alternates have time to do a list.

The Desert Island site has been updated with:

-Results for DI4 and Retro Island
-Additions of Prog Island and Symphonic Island

Now I'm all caught up until I add the new stuff. We're a week away, barring any delays.

Phanan, I'm going to get my stuff to you in the next day or two, I've just been too busy with moving to school

Hey all just thought I'd drop by.

Still cannot fathom how all of you can possibly manage to listen to twenty two-hour plus playlists, numerous times, and getting the nuances of them. Do none of you like work, school... :lol:

My other query is do you think we could do another symphonic type thing in the future. 60/80 minute playlists, so people who don't have the time or the "ability" to do a fully-fledged di list could get in on the fun? I know there's some who think this idea blasphemous, but those who believe that wouldn't have to be involved. It would be great fun and there wouldn't be a lot of bitching either, I don't think.

My other query is do you think we could do another symphonic type thing in the future. 60/80 minute playlists, so people who don't have the time or the "ability" to do a fully-fledged di list could get in on the fun? I know there's some who think this idea blasphemous, but those who believe that wouldn't have to be involved. It would be great fun and there wouldn't be a lot of bitching either, I don't think.

Mini games usually happen between the DI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom