Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After skimming the last few pages, and really not getting much DI info :) , is the competition decidedly limited to 20 participants this go-round?

After skimming the last few pages, and really not getting much DI info :) , is the competition decidedly limited to 20 participants this go-round?

I think we're still on the fence in that area...if someone else drops out in the next week or two, yeah, we'll probably stick with 20.

Yes, giving it about a week or so to see if anything else changes. So far we've had one drop out.

And in case others aren't aware, some participants are getting a jump on their listening by PMing their lists to each other and discussing it here:

http://forum.interference.com/f296/desert-island-game-running-diary-thread-pt-2-no-links-188724.html

Knowing how long it can take to go through all the playlists, this is a great opportunity to get some listening in before the actual deadline. As you can see, we're already on Part 2.

Also, if you don't plan on participating, but wish to listen and vote, feel free to drop by and request people to send playlists to you.

Okay, so like in regards to this rule:

2. You may only use ONE song by any particular artist. In this rule, we are concerned with one continuous song; if the song is split into separate tracks or movements (e.g. to fit on vinyl), all tracks or movements may be included. For example, if you wanted to have both parts of the song "Perfect Sense" by Roger Waters, this would be acceptable even though they are split over two tracks, as it is basically one song. However, if you wish to do this, please clear it with the organisers first. For the sake of this tournament, Passengers will be considered to be a separate artist to U2.

am I allowed to have a song from a particular band and also a song by a solo artist that was in that band?

I sent you mine and have begun sending it to others.

However, I've only gotten a chance to listen to one list.

yeah the dropkick murphys song has been surprisingly well received. I just put it on there cuz I had watched The Departed recently and was like, oh yeah, this song is awesome

If anybody wants to PM me their list, I'd love to listen to it. And I can give you mine, too.

Laughter and all of us sharing in it!!!

My playlist, paragraph description and album covers are all ready. Just gotta upload the songs now! :hyper:

GAF, I'm gonna listen to your list right now! :dance:

I'd like to get in on this if all 20 haven't been accounted for. :wave:

EDIT: Of course, when I actually read every frickin' page I realize that all 20 have been accounted for. The first post threw me off.

A suggestion for the future that maybe the initial post has the participants and that's where you update it?:)

Just thought of this. Those already making their lists for the next tournament, you do know that it might be shorter next time, right? Just don't make it long cos then you may have to cut it down to 60 or 80 min. :lol:

Just thought of this. Those already making their lists for the next tournament, you do know that it might be shorter next time, right? Just don't make it long cos then you may have to cut it down to 60 or 80 min. :lol:

I'm still of the opinion that we leave everything just as it is. And the mini games can serve for the people who don't want to deal with such long lists. But even if we do shorten it, 60? :huh:

True, there are the mini games. Yeah, 60 is too short. I just said it cos somebody suggested it. I think 80 is perfect. Single disc. More challenging to make too, than the present format!

Who said 60?! :lmao: I'd rather not make a list at all if it were to go that low.

Personally, I'm with Tourist. We should keep it at 160. Realistically, there's no way I'm leaving my house for an extended period of time without at least that many minutes of music on my person. :wink:

Can we just wait until next time to deal with the time issue?

It'd be easier for people to make a list in the regular format and then have to trim it down than for people to make the shorter list and have to add to it, you know?

Honestly, we can carry the whole iPod if we were to leave the house and go to a deserted island. :p

Seriously, in my opinion if the mini tournaments were as frequent as the DI ones, then there is no need to shorten the DI playlist length. We can have both 160 min and 80 min tournaments. But there have been what 1 or 2 mini tournaments but 5 DIs.

Or why not keep it open ended? Make whatever length you desire! It's like a pay what you want thing. :wink:

Just throwing ideas out there.

Can we just wait until next time to deal with the time issue?

It'd be easier for people to make a list in the regular format and then have to trim it down than for people to make the shorter list and have to add to it, you know?

I'm with LMP. He speaks the truth, with wisdom. He is the Ben Kenobi of our time.

Let's just have fun with this current game and then fuck about with the other shit after.

GAME ON.

Actually, no. Some of us may want to get started on something before then without having to neuter the fucking thing at the last minute. :wink:

Yeah exactly! That's why I brought it up cos I know some of you have already started working on DI-6! :crack: ;)

And that it's "easier for people to make a list in the regular format and then have to trim it down than for people to make the shorter list and have to add to it" is EXTREMELY debatable. For me, it's 10 times more difficult to do the former.

Okay so far I've listened to lists by El Mel, GAF and bono212. I need more lists, people! PM me! And I'll send you mine. :hyper:

Lists! More lists! More! More! Moar! :drool:

Actually, no. Some of us may want to get started on something before then without having to neuter the fucking thing at the last minute. :wink:

I've got a list in the backburner, too, so I see where you're coming from, but enough has already been said for shortening or not-shortening the time earlier, so why keep it coming?

I made a 3 CD list for DI3, mistaking it for a length change that only had to do with Prog Island, and had to trim it to 2 CDs. It was easy to trim, but any mistakes that were made with the creation of that list were my own fault.

After thinking about it, I think the idea of shortening the list neuters the whole idea of the tourney, at least my idea of it. It'll add more people to the fray, yes, and that's always great, but it hurts how diverse the lists can be, you know?

If we're making lists early, it's our decision and problem to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom