Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. phanan
2. Axver
3. KhanadaRhodes
4. phillyfan26
5. LemonMacPhisto
6. LemonMelon
7. Zootlesque
8. AtomicBono
9. bono_212
10. DreamOutLoud13
11. RegularBonoFan
12. bono_man2002
13. Screwtape2
14. Mr. V
15. impy13
16. GirlsAloudFan
17. the tourist
18. Alisaura
19. The Sad Punk
20. BigMacPhisto

Alternate 1: DaveC
Alternate 2: Lancemc

I realize this went quick. If others are still interested, please post and let me know. I'll consider moving it up to 24 if nobody drops out.

Do we have to wait till September to start this? Can't we start it sooner? :slant:

You have to remember that not everyone has started his/her list yet, and then, people need time to listen to these things. It takes a while.

But we're timing this right, as was the plan all along. Launch in August, with the competition starting in September, and finishing just in time for the new album to enjoy...

Either that, or 4 groups of 6, which would make it really tough to advance.

I think 6 groups is too much.

That's true. If everything's broken up properly, then I'm cool with 4 groups of 6.

Either that, or 4 groups of 6, which would make it really tough to advance.

I know I'm totally fresh fish when it comes to this DI stuff but honestly, in terms of self-preservation, I don't really want it to be any harder to advance than it usually is. I don't know.

I know I'm totally fresh fish when it comes to this DI stuff but honestly, in terms of self-preservation, I don't really want it to be any harder to advance than it usually is. I don't know.

You'll do what you're fucking told and you'll enjoy the shit out of it.

Embrace the challenge, Hawk Jr.

Absolutely.

It is completely up to Phanan, I know.

And I trust that he will do what's best for the game. :up:

"You're going to play golf and you're going to like it!"

I think 6 groups is fine, but it's definitely up to phanan

either way I think we ought to expand it since there's a ton of interest

I think these competitions last long enough as it is. Maybe it's just because I already had a spot reserved (thanks BTW, Phanan :wave:), but I don't see the need to expand DI just yet. Usually, two or three will drop out anyway.

I don't see the need to expand DI just yet. Usually, two or three will drop out anyway.

Yeah but if nobody drops out till the end, it would be nice to expand it to 24 or something and give those 4 people a chance, instead of turning them away. As long as the competition tree works out with the number of people moving on etc., it should be fine. So what if it takes a little longer cos it's 6 groups?

Yeah but if nobody drops out till the end, it would be nice to expand it to 24 or something and give those 4 people a chance, instead of turning them away. As long as the competition tree works out with the number of people moving on etc., it should be fine. So what if it takes a little longer cos it's 6 groups?

IF nobody drops out. I'm predicting at least one or two will within the next two weeks. Hopefully, it won't be a newbie, because I'm loving all of these newcomers. It's awesome.

Okay yeah that's true. It's only a few of us that are already done with our list! :lol::reject:

yeah ive edited mine and I think I may be done

I'm proud of it. less than half are artists i've used before. no one will like all of it but there's enough diversity in the list that there ought to be something for everyone

i think waiting to see if people drop out is a good plan.

IF nobody drops out. I'm predicting at least one or two will within the next two weeks. Hopefully, it won't be a newbie, because I'm loving all of these newcomers. It's awesome.

Are you saying you don't have enough time to listen to possibly four more 2 hour plus entries? Maybe you should have participated in the Retro Island list which was only 80 minutes :wink: :whistle:

For those who don't know:

1. My list is in two CD format.
2. One disc is extremely loud, and the other is filled with quiet soundscapes.
3. 29 of the 37 artists have never been used on one of my Desert Island lists before.
4. It'll probably take a few listens to get into because the two halves vary so much.

Are you saying you don't have enough time to listen to possibly four more 2 hour plus entries? Maybe you should have participated in the Retro Island list which was only 80 minutes :wink: :whistle:

:crazy: That's exactly what I'm saying.

:wink:

I won't be one of the newbies dropping out, I can assure you that. I pulled an all-nighter last night and finished my list. I was shocked at how quickly I did it and how happy I am with it.

I fucking can't wait till this thing starts. In fact, I'm going to put two hyper-excited smilies at the end of my post to let you guys know that I'm not messing around...

:hyper:

:hyper:

:crazy: That's exactly what I'm saying.

Might have been nice if more people participated in the Retro list, at least listening-wise, that's all I'm saying. The lists were short & sweet.

And you think your list will get multiple plays? Yeah, if y'all keep swapping your lists a month in advance.

Last edited:
Might have been nice if more people participated in the Retro list, at least listening-wise, that's all I'm saying. The lists were short & sweet.

And you think your list will get multiple plays? Yeah, if y'all keep swapping your lists a month in advance.

Yeah, I should have participated. :sigh: Looks like you guys had a lot of fun without me. Strangely, my favorite music competition on this forum was a mini game; the Symphonic Album Game. I enjoyed that more than any DI so far.

More than 1 listen per person is gonna be slightly :crazy:

GAF, I love the enthusiasm you bring to this forum! :hi5:

Yeah, I should have participated. :sigh: Looks like you guys had a lot of fun without me. Strangely, my favorite music competition on this forum was a mini game; the Symphonic Album Game. I enjoyed that more than any DI so far.

Yeah, the more the merrier. You can still go back and listen - see what you think. :shrug:

More than 1 listen per person is gonna be slightly :crazy:

My thoughts exactly Zoots. It's hard, at least for me, to listen to the lists at once in their entirety, yet alone multiple times. I usually try & play them while working as well... I still wonder how many people actually listen to all the lists completely. I'm sure many of you do, but do you all? If I can't listen to the list in its entirety, I usually abstain from voting. That's just me

Thanks, Zoots. The feeling is mutual.

Also, I'm curious as to how long you guys usually make your playlists? I'm sure it varies, but do people generally use up all 160 minutes? Mine is right around 130 minutes right now.

Thanks, Zoots. The feeling is mutual.

Also, I'm curious as to how long you guys usually make your playlists? I'm sure it varies, but do people generally use up all 160 minutes? Mine is right around 130 minutes right now.

I've seen as low as 110-115 minutes before. I usually use up all 160, but that's just me.

My one big concern with expanding to 24 competitors is the listening aspect. We already have enough trouble getting around to listening to 20 lists, and I've often thought we should reduce it to 16 entries.

Perhaps we should consider qualifying tournaments or something if the interest is that high?

Mine's 156 min and something seconds. From what I've seen so far, people usually try to fit in as much as possible in the 160 min. But I don't think you HAVE to fill it up to the brim as long as you're happy with it and everything sounds good. Plus, a shorter list will be easier to listen to. :shifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom