Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #436
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Problem is people with shorter lists would probably be judged on quantity, not quality, from what I can deduce here.
Quality in higher quantity > Quality
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #437
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Quality in higher quantity > Quality
What?

Quality should be judged irrespective of Quantity.

An 80 min playlist could have better or worse quality than a 160 min one.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #438
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
What?

Quality should be judged irrespective of Quantity.

An 80 min playlist could have better or worse quality than a 160 min one.
10 songs I like with two weak tracks > 9 songs I like with one weak track

If it's somebody else's list, I'm not listening with a red pen in hand, checking off the tracks I don't like and subtracting points accordingly. If one list has more songs I like, I'll probably vote for it. That's just the way I vote.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #439
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
10 songs I like with two weak tracks > 9 songs I like with one weak track
Oh c'mon! Even if it's that close?? For me, it will depend on how much I like those 10 songs vs. the 9 songs. Which set can I live without on a remote island.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #440
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Oh c'mon! Even if it's that close?? For me, it will depend on how much I like those 10 songs vs. the 9 songs. Which set can I live without on a remote island.
Well, obviously that scenario wouldn't play out very often, it's just an example.

My point is that, given the odds that I'll enjoy the songs available, it's much safer to go with more songs than less. And your suggestion to vote based on what I would rather have with me on a desert island doesn't help your case either, because I would rather have 20 songs I like than 15, even if I have to skip the others.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #441
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 05:25 PM
Just finalized my playlist. It is the most diverse playlist any of these games have seen. Probably the strangest as well.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #442
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 12:25 AM
Well I do agree that more songs equals more chances of finding something the listener will like. But what I was trying to say earlier is that more songs you know doesn't necessarily mean better playlist. The flow could be terrible. Would you rather have 15 good songs on a 160 min playlist with bad cohesion or 10 good songs on a 80 min playlist with perfect cohesion? I might choose the latter depending on the listening experience.

More good songs doesn't always equal better playlist.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #443
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Just finalized my playlist. It is the most diverse playlist any of these games have seen. Probably the strangest as well.
Good for you, but LJT, Phanan, and El-Mel may beg to differ.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #444
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Well I do agree that more songs equals more chances of finding something the listener will like. But what I was trying to say earlier is that more songs you know doesn't necessarily mean better playlist. The flow could be terrible. Would you rather have 15 good songs on a 160 min playlist with bad cohesion or 10 good songs on a 80 min playlist with perfect cohesion? I might choose the latter depending on the listening experience.

More good songs doesn't always equal better playlist.
Yeah, you do have a point there. Personally, if the flow is about equal on both, I would give the edge to the longer list because, well, they kept the flow going for a longer period of time.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #445
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Good for you, but LJT, Phanan, and El-Mel may beg to differ.
Phanan's DI3, my DI5, Pla/Tre's DI4, and anything by LJT is all up there. Sorry Screw, but this is pretty tough company you're in.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #446
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 12:25 AM
I think you guys should give Screwy more credit! His DI-3 playlist was really good AND diverse!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #447
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I think you guys should give Screwy more credit! His DI-3 playlist was really good AND diverse!
I didn't bash the guy there, just showing some initial skepticism to a bold claim. I've gone on record saying I've enjoyed his lists, but to be honest, I couldn't tell you the difference between them. I'm interested in hearing whatever he puts out, regardless of my personal feelings toward him.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #448
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I think you guys should give Screwy more credit! His DI-3 playlist was really good AND diverse!
It was pretty diverse, but not a huge change of direction for him or anything.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #449
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I think you guys should give Screwy more credit! His DI-3 playlist was really good AND diverse!
Thank you.

This playlist includes:

Early Synth Music
Alternative
Spoken word with whale song
Prog/ Art Rock
Traditional Japanese Music
Pop
African Tribal Music
Traditional Papua New Guinea Music
Early electronic music
Native American music
Australian Aboriginal music
Post-rock
Peruvian music
Punk Cabaret
New Age

Plus it is only one disc long.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #450
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,814
Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
Thank you.

This playlist includes:

Early Synth Music
Alternative
Spoken word with whale song
Prog/ Art Rock
Traditional Japanese Music
Pop
African Tribal Music
Traditional Papua New Guinea Music
Early electronic music
Native American music
Australian Aboriginal music
Post-rock
Peruvian music
Punk Cabaret
New Age

Plus it is only one disc long.
Gotta say, that sounds interesting.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com