Desert Island V Album Game: Rules and Signup Thread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #421
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
If we just sit there and make normal DI lists again, the game is going to get super boring, pretty damn fast
Ah ok I got you.

tourist's latest suggestion sounds good to me!
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #422
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Ah ok I got you.

tourist's latest suggestion sounds good to me!
But like I said, Phanan probably wouldn't bite on that unless he had someone else run one of the side-games.
__________________

__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #423
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 09:36 AM
I appreciate all the suggestions, and it certainly doesn't hurt to try different things, as it makes it interesting and keeps it fresh.

But that's why we started the mini-tournaments in the first place - to mix things up. We've had three so far - two were genre-specific, while one was geared more towards concepts. The important thing to remember is that the minis can be anything we want them to be. Perhaps the next one is not genre-specific, but a certain time period. Or maybe we do one where we rock the fuck out by using anything we want. They aren't restricted to anything. We'll try different things as we go.

By having the opportunity to do that, it enables us to keep the regular Desert Island tournament as it is. We tweaked it through the first couple of editions until we came up with something that seemed to work well. The results since then, and the interest that it continues to get, only confirms this.

Listening to everything can be a daunting task, but we try to give everyone plenty of time to listen to the playlists, and with LMP's great idea of having a discussion thread, it lets people exchange playlists early to get a head start on listening, thereby giving everyone even more time. Even when the Master List gets posted, we'll still have a two week period or so to continue listening, and if people go in order of the groups, they'll still be able to hear stuff even when the competition starts. This means that people will have well over a month to digest all 20 playlists. I think that's pretty good and therefore not a major issue.

Let's try not to squabble over the little things too much. All it does is turn others off who otherwise could be potentially interested in the competition.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #424
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,806
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
What is the purpose of the mini DI's? To be genre specific? Why do they HAVE to be genre specific? Why not a shorter version of the regular DI?
Because Tourist's idea is overload, and this one is colorless. To me, anyway. I wouldn't participate.

Plus, if you have a low minimum or none at all in regular DI, people can throw in whatever length list they want, it'll provide more variety to the game, and if they don't have the time to listen to a 160 minute list, that's life. They'll manage.

It's a better idea than saturating the forum with DI or removing everything that was good about it to make it more accessible for everyone.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #425
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:36 PM
I think everyone (or most) will be happy if the current competition was changed to simply incorporate "no minimum" and "160 min maximum". Is that correct? If so, that's what we should go with. Shorter than 160 min playlists should not be discouraged then!
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #426
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions, and it certainly doesn't hurt to try different things, as it makes it interesting and keeps it fresh.

But that's why we started the mini-tournaments in the first place - to mix things up. We've had three so far - two were genre-specific, while one was geared more towards concepts. The important thing to remember is that the minis can be anything we want them to be. Perhaps the next one is not genre-specific, but a certain time period. Or maybe we do one where we rock the fuck out by using anything we want. They aren't restricted to anything. We'll try different things as we go.

By having the opportunity to do that, it enables us to keep the regular Desert Island tournament as it is. We tweaked it through the first couple of editions until we came up with something that seemed to work well. The results since then, and the interest that it continues to get, only confirms this.

Listening to everything can be a daunting task, but we try to give everyone plenty of time to listen to the playlists, and with LMP's great idea of having a discussion thread, it lets people exchange playlists early to get a head start on listening, thereby giving everyone even more time. Even when the Master List gets posted, we'll still have a two week period or so to continue listening, and if people go in order of the groups, they'll still be able to hear stuff even when the competition starts. This means that people will have well over a month to digest all 20 playlists. I think that's pretty good and therefore not a major issue.

Let's try not to squabble over the little things too much. All it does is turn others off who otherwise could be potentially interested in the competition.
Thank you.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #427
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,287
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Woah! What the hell happened in here?

Why do people want to change the game? What's wrong with it as is? This is my first time doin it and I think the format is just fine and it's been really fun so far.

Is it possible that we are taking this too seriously? Or is it my alienating presence in this round that is causing everyone to go batshit crazy?
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #428
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,806
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions, and it certainly doesn't hurt to try different things, as it makes it interesting and keeps it fresh.

But that's why we started the mini-tournaments in the first place - to mix things up. We've had three so far - two were genre-specific, while one was geared more towards concepts. The important thing to remember is that the minis can be anything we want them to be. Perhaps the next one is not genre-specific, but a certain time period. Or maybe we do one where we rock the fuck out by using anything we want. They aren't restricted to anything. We'll try different things as we go.

By having the opportunity to do that, it enables us to keep the regular Desert Island tournament as it is. We tweaked it through the first couple of editions until we came up with something that seemed to work well. The results since then, and the interest that it continues to get, only confirms this.

Listening to everything can be a daunting task, but we try to give everyone plenty of time to listen to the playlists, and with LMP's great idea of having a discussion thread, it lets people exchange playlists early to get a head start on listening, thereby giving everyone even more time. Even when the Master List gets posted, we'll still have a two week period or so to continue listening, and if people go in order of the groups, they'll still be able to hear stuff even when the competition starts. This means that people will have well over a month to digest all 20 playlists. I think that's pretty good and therefore not a major issue.

Let's try not to squabble over the little things too much. All it does is turn others off who otherwise could be potentially interested in the competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
I think everyone (or most) will be happy if the current competition was changed to simply incorporate "no minimum" and "160 min maximum". Is that correct? If so, that's what we should go with. Shorter than 160 min playlists should not be discouraged then!
Sounds good to me. Let's go with that.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #429
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
... my alienating presence ... is causing everyone to go batshit crazy ...
qft
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #430
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Sounds good to me. Let's go with that.
Good! My DI-6 list is gonna have 7 songs.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #431
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,959
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Good! My DI-6 list is gonna have 7 songs.
__________________
the tourist is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #432
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,806
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Good! My DI-6 list is gonna have 7 songs.
Cool. Mine is going to have four.

The only reason I gave Mr. V a hard time about his 70 minute list is because, well, these new rules we're discussing haven't exactly been implemented yet, just discussed. I'm one of "no minumum"'s biggest proponents, but for this tournament, I'd sort of prefer playlists of the time to which I'm accustomed, especially since we're sticking with 20 people this time out.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #433
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Woah! What the hell happened in here?

Why do people want to change the game? What's wrong with it as is? This is my first time doin it and I think the format is just fine and it's been really fun so far.

Is it possible that we are taking this too seriously? Or is it my alienating presence in this round that is causing everyone to go batshit crazy?
Can't it be both?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #434
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,062
Local Time: 09:36 AM
Now's a good time for a roll call...

The following playlists have been submitted so far (if any were sent just to Axver, please be sure to forward them to me):

LM
LMP
pfan
tourist
Zoots
DreamOutLoud13
AtomicBono
GAF
Khan
RegularBonoFan


The deadline for submissions is in two days. If anyone thinks they will have an issue meeting this, please PM me ASAP.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #435
Refugee
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: in a French-ass restaurant
Posts: 1,482
Local Time: 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
If my suggestion panned out, there wouldn't be a minimum, so you could enter with a list of any length and style in a regular DI tournament.
Problem is people with shorter lists would probably be judged on quantity, not quality, from what I can deduce here.
__________________

__________________
Mr. V is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
desert island

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com